" New York Jets poised to 'win' off-season spending title " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Unrestricted free agency is just about over, and it appears the New York Jets will be crowned champions.The champions of spending, that is.

The Jets have doled out a league-high $179.3 million in total contracts for unrestricted free agents, according to ESPN's John Clayton, who has an interesting piece on the free agency trends that developed in 2015. Trailing the Jets are the Jacksonville Jaguars ($174.5 million), Miami Dolphins ($137.2 million), Philadelphia Eagles ($121.2 million) and Oakland Raiders ($110.8 million).(On a side note, isn't it interesting that the Jaguars, Dolphins and Raiders have former Jets executives working in their front office ? We're talking about John Idzik, Mike Tannenbaum and Joey Clinkscales, respectively. Idzik, though, is only a salary-cap consultant. Just saying.)These contract numbers are misleading because, as we all know, the money isn't fully guaranteed. In fact, the Jets' total for guaranteed money is $67.9 million -- still a rather large chunk of change.

No team wants to be crowned the champions of spending because, more often than not, it means there were many holes in the roster, probably due to poor drafting. Such was the case with the Jets. They also were mandated to spend a lot to stay in compliance with the league's minimum-spending rules. So, believe it or not, the fiscally conservative Idzik would've been required to cut some big checks if he had remained on the job.Mike Maccagnan walked into a dream situation--except for an unsettledquarterbacksituation.Spending doesn't equate to winning, however. Six of the 12 teams that ranked in the top three in free-agent spending from 2011 to 2014 failed to improve their win total, including all three of last year’s top-3 spending teams -- the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ($147.3 million), Denver Broncos ($127.6 million) and New York Giants ($110.6 million), per ESPN Stats & Information. Those three teams saw their win total decline. How 'bout the champs? The New England Patriots finished 16th in free-agent spending. The more the game changes, the more it stays the same. Success still hinges on drafting and developing talent.

As Clayton notes, unrestricted free agency ends Monday.The signing period once ran through June 1, but it was shortened to May 12 to help players find jobs before organized team activities and minicamps. Starting Tuesday, signings no longer count toward the computation of compensatory picks. The remaining 138 unrestricted free agents will become "street" free agents, and they don't factor into the compensatory formula -- so look for a bunch of signings Tuesday. For instance, don't be surprised if former Jets safety Dawan Landry signs with the Buffalo Bills and reunites with coach Rex Ryan.

Aside from Landry, the Jets' other unrestricted free agents are Michael Vick, Chris Johnson, Greg Salas, John Conner and Jermaine Cunningham.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51277/new-york-jets-poised-to-win-off-season-spending-title

Thanks Idzik!  You set the table for us to be much better with a real coach and a better talent evaluating GM.  Thanks for not idiotically spending  on crap mid tier free agents to get to 7 wins and save rexs job.  Idzik, truly is a hero painted as a villain.

The New England Patriots finished 16th in free-agent spending. The more the game changes, the more it stays the same. Success still hinges on drafting and developing talent

Please, Belicheat has to be the worst talent evaluator in football! Where he does have success is trading with TB for players Schiano pissed off and were dying to get away from. He also has buddies like Saban and Schiano who before getting fired or heading back to college football trade players to lil' bill.

______________________________________________________________________________________

"But there are some very serious issues on this Patriots team. The offensive line is unimpressive. Their pass catchers generally don’t catch passes. Their vaunted defense is incredibly thin at linebacker and defensive line. And these aren’t new problems. The Patriots have been trying to replace Richard Seymor since his departure. They’ve been trying to replace Randy Moss since he left. And Aaron Hernandez. And Wes Welker. And Logan Mankins.

welker-250x142.jpgIt all has a lot to do with the stock broker in Bill Belichick. He loves to sell high on players he thinks are on their way out of their prime. In many cases, he’s right. There was Dieon Branch, who was a benign force without the Pats. Randy Moss was useless on the Vikings. Denver has gotten one very good season out of Welker, but he seems to be slowing down considerably. The jury is out on Mankins.

But Belichick also loves to buy low on players. He’s worked with Adalius Thomas, Albert Haynesworth and Chad Johnson. He bought low on cornerbacks like Darius Butler and Ras-I Dowling — that didn’t work. However, he did manage to get a steal in Alfonzo Dennard. Welker and Moss were great acquisitions. He’s also had a great deal of success buying low and selling high on running backs, allowing LeGarrette Blount and BenJarvus Green-Ellis to leave while filling their carries with draft picks like Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen.

So, it’s not like the Patriots are completely broken. The stock brokerage has kept the Patriots open for business.

Back to the problems, though. Most recently, the offensive line has been awful. And it’s largely due to his misevaluation of talent. Three of the offensive linemen that the Patriots have let go are starters elsewhere. The Patriots released both Arizona Cardinals starting left guard Ted Larsen and Chargers starting center Rich Orhnberger. Tampa Bay Buccaneers guard Logan Mankins is, of course, a starter. Mankins left in a trade. Part of the struggle is to due the departure of Dante Scarnecchia, who might have helped steer this offensive line — and the personnel moves involved in forming it — in the right direction.

The offensive line is an odd and new problem, but the Patriots can’t let the problems keep adding up. They’re starting to look like every other team in the AFC East. There are two problems that have been slow fixes. Belichick’s got some chronic problems maintaining a pass-rush and pass catchers. Chandler Jones has been a revelation and Rob Ninkovich a pleasant surprise, but the Patriots had relied upon stop gaps to generate sacks. Jones may finally be the legitimate force the Patriots need. But it’s been a long time coming.

tom-brady-250x142.jpg

The Patriots have also struggled mightily with wide receiver evaluation. The only player they’ve drafted at the position who had success in recent memory is Julian Edelman, who technically wasn’t even a wide receiver. He was a college quarterback. Aside from that, it’s a laundry list of failures: Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate. Now it seems Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce are busts, too.

It may be too harsh to say Belichick has lost his touch altogether. But it’s not too harsh to say that the mastermind needs some help. The Patriots talent seems to be dwindling. A general manager could challenge Belichick and question his personnel moves. So long as Belichick respects the opinion of the GM, it could be a fruitful relationship.

A second pair of eyes would go a long way.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/do-the-patriots-need-to-hire-a-general-manager/

Unrestricted free agency is just about over, and it appears the New York Jets will be crowned champions.The champions of spending, that is.

The Jets have doled out a league-high $179.3 million in total contracts for unrestricted free agents, according to ESPN's John Clayton, who has an interesting piece on the free agency trends that developed in 2015. Trailing the Jets are the Jacksonville Jaguars ($174.5 million), Miami Dolphins ($137.2 million), Philadelphia Eagles ($121.2 million) and Oakland Raiders ($110.8 million).(On a side note, isn't it interesting that the Jaguars, Dolphins and Raiders have former Jets executives working in their front office ? We're talking about John Idzik, Mike Tannenbaum and Joey Clinkscales, respectively. Idzik, though, is only a salary-cap consultant. Just saying.)These contract numbers are misleading because, as we all know, the money isn't fully guaranteed. In fact, the Jets' total for guaranteed money is $67.9 million -- still a rather large chunk of change.

No team wants to be crowned the champions of spending because, more often than not, it means there were many holes in the roster, probably due to poor drafting. Such was the case with the Jets. They also were mandated to spend a lot to stay in compliance with the league's minimum-spending rules. So, believe it or not, the fiscally conservative Idzik would've been required to cut some big checks if he had remained on the job.Mike Maccagnan walked into a dream situation--except for an unsettledquarterbacksituation.Spending doesn't equate to winning, however. Six of the 12 teams that ranked in the top three in free-agent spending from 2011 to 2014 failed to improve their win total, including all three of last year’s top-3 spending teams -- the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ($147.3 million), Denver Broncos ($127.6 million) and New York Giants ($110.6 million), per ESPN Stats & Information. Those three teams saw their win total decline. How 'bout the champs? The New England Patriots finished 16th in free-agent spending. The more the game changes, the more it stays the same. Success still hinges on drafting and developing talent.

As Clayton notes, unrestricted free agency ends Monday.The signing period once ran through June 1, but it was shortened to May 12 to help players find jobs before organized team activities and minicamps. Starting Tuesday, signings no longer count toward the computation of compensatory picks. The remaining 138 unrestricted free agents will become "street" free agents, and they don't factor into the compensatory formula -- so look for a bunch of signings Tuesday. For instance, don't be surprised if former Jets safety Dawan Landry signs with the Buffalo Bills and reunites with coach Rex Ryan.

Aside from Landry, the Jets' other unrestricted free agents are Michael Vick, Chris Johnson, Greg Salas, John Conner and Jermaine Cunningham.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51277/new-york-jets-poised-to-win-off-season-spending-title

"... The more the game changes, the more it stays the same. Success still hinges on drafting and developing talent... "

~ ~ agreed !.. don't forget our 2010  draft     :blowup:

Did we?  Only time will tell.  I have my concerns with the Smith and Petty picks.  

Fair.  I'll amend my statement to say I like our chances to have nailed the draft.  A nice "safe" 1st rounder in Williams, upside guys later, and intriguing middle rounders.  About what most would have have hoped out of the draft going in.  Or perhaps Idzik's 2014 draft was so bad that it made 2015's look great by comparison.  Like you said, time will tell.  But the TYPES of picks we made give me confidence Maccagnan has somewhat of a clue of what he's doing.  Gotta ride or die with this GM for now, or else we won't be winning anything until Woody Johnson dies.

Sweet! Huge spending sprees typically work out so well.

Why do you have to be a bitter, tired, old queen about everything?

The Jets had to spend money, a lot of it. You know this, or at least you should. Why must you bitch about every god damn thing under the sun?

Fair.  I'll amend my statement to say I like our chances to have nailed the draft.  A nice "safe" 1st rounder in Williams, upside guys later, and intriguing middle rounders.  About what most would have have hoped out of the draft going in.  Or perhaps Idzik's 2014 draft was so bad that it made 2015's look great by comparison.  Like you said, time will tell.  But the TYPES of picks we made give me confidence Maccagnan has somewhat of a clue of what he's doing.  Gotta ride or die with this GM for now, or else we won't be winning anything until Woody Johnson dies.

That's better.  Saying "they nailed the draft" without seeing any of them on the field, is premature to say the least.  Smith and Maudlin are exactly cant miss prospects.  Petty is far from it.

Lets see them play first. 

Why do you have to be a bitter, tired, old queen about everything?

The Jets had to spend money, a lot of it. You know this, or at least you should. Why must you bitch about every god damn thing under the sun?

This was mean and uncalled for.  I dont bitch about everything.  I bitch about things that deserve to be bitched about.  And why do you care?  

And I wasnt bitching here, just making a statement that tends to be factual.  

Its not like the Jets give me reason for optimism.  They've been a ******* sh*t show for my entire life. 

That's better. Saying "they nailed the draft" without seeing any of them on the field, is premature to say the least. Smith and Maudlin are exactly cant miss prospects. Petty is far from it.

Lets see them play first.

This was mean and uncalled for. I dont bitch about everything. I bitch about things that deserve to be bitched about. And why do you care?

And I wasnt bitching here, just making a statement that tends to be factual.

Its not like the Jets give me reason for optimism. They've been a ******* sh*t show for my entire life.

I care because I'm a member of this board. Once in a while you have some good stuff to say. But most of the time it's Debbie Downer thread crapping. Just calling it like it is.

I care because I'm a member of this board. Once in a while you have some good stuff to say. But most of the time it's Debbie Downer thread crapping. Just calling it like it is.

Well, when the Jets give me something to be happy about, I'll be sure to change my tone for you.  

Good offseason was good, no matter what folks may want to diminish it.

We were way below the spending requirements NFL teams must meet, now we're not.

I see nothing to complain about here, a team trying to get better, and using it's available assets to do so.

I think we'll win alot more than "the offseason" this year, we'll be vastly more competitive, QB Questions or not.

Come on JiF, you honestly can't think of a single positive thing to draw from this off-season?

Of course I can which is why Jet9 is out of line.  I'm stoked on the BMarsh trade.  I love having Revis back (just wish he never left).  I'm skeptical of Cro but like what Skrine can brings to table.  I like the Carpenter signing, not so big on the Gilchrist signing.   While I dont think he's very good but I dig the sh*tzpatrick trade as a veteran who knows the system.  Didnt think we should give the money we did to Harris but he's a good player and a homegrown talent so I'm happy we retained him and didnt lose him to Rex even though he's lost a step. Which is why I'm intrigued by Henderson.  I like that we resigned Powell.  I think he's very underrated.  Didnt see the point in signing Ridley but liked the move for Stacy.  

I liked our draft, not a 100% sold on Smith but Williams was #1 on my board and never expected him to be there and I drafted Mauldin in the 3rd round of the JN draft for the Cardinals (assuming they run a similar D as Bowles), so I loved that pick.  This DL is going to be so nasty.  And now that we've got corners?  This could be a serious D again.  I think lost in the Williams hysteria is that Vickerson and Douzable are great depth players.  And it was wise to tag Snacks.

So, I'm very excited about this team.  They're so much more talented this year compared to the last 2 season its a night and day difference.  

IMO - the Jets have top 5 talent in numerous positions (DL, C, CB, WR).  

All that said, the league hasnt been kind to the offseason winners in its past.  Hence my original comment. 

Archived