Todd Bowles already showing ‘O’ more love than Rex Ryan did - Article

JetBlue

At the end of practice on Wednesday, Jets defensive players were forced to run wind sprints the width of the field while the offensive players looked on in delight. It was penance for the offense getting the better of things during the two-minute drills that opened practice.

“Let’s get this over with,” linebacker Quinton Coples, grumbled while defensive lineman Damon “Snacks” Harrison seemed to blame linebacker Demario Davis for having to run gassers.  “Competition brings out the best in everybody,” Harrison later admitted.

It was the first time the defense had to run during this year’s offseason training activities, after getting the better of the offense and playing to a draw in two earlier sessions.  “It’s about what to be aware of — game-time situations and making it a little more competitive because you can’t hit or anything,” rookie head coach Todd Bowles said. “If you come out sluggish, you run after practice. The offense came out today and they won.” 

That didn’t necessarily sit well with the defense.  “You don’t like losing any competition, period,” Harrison said. “It’s the first time we’ve lost. Hats off to the offense. They won. Hopefully, it’s the last one because I don’t like running.”

The exercise could be viewed as divisive, which is the last thing the Jets need. Under Rex Ryan, the defense was always the teacher’s pet. The long-time defensive coordinator and son of Buddy boasted about his unit’s exploits, real or imagined. But when it came to the offense, Ryan was more of an accidental tourist. He seldom offered much direction as the offense went from ground-and-pound to Tone Time and through a parade of offensive coordinators: Brian Schottenheimer then Tony Sparano then Marty Mornhinweg.

So far, Bowles acts more like a head coach than a defensive coach trying to be a head coach. He watched 7-on-7 drills on Wednesday while standing firmly between the offensive players and the defensive players. When the first-team session was over, Bowles mingled with the offensive players, not so much to coach but offer encouragement and some good-natured ribbing.

That’s fine with Harrison.  “No guy on offense wants to be on a team that’s known as a defensive team,” he said. “And no defensive player wants to be on a team where the talk is all about the offense. Everybody has to carry their own weight.”

The media was making a fuss Wednesday about Willie Colon’s comments on radio Tuesday about quarterback Geno Smith needing to not “crash” the Porsche he has been given, referring to the Jets’ offense. Colon is a 10-year veteran who is going to be good for the NFL Network one of these days. But you can bet the repercussions and reaction would have been greater had it been someone from the defense uttering those words.

“I don’t know what kind of car we have yet,” Bowles said jokingly. “We’re still building it.”

The defense should be a Land Rover. Muhammad Wilkerson’s contract is an issue that must be addressed. But with cornerbacks Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie back, defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson emerging as a star, No. 1 pick Leonard Williams sure to get attention at defensive end, and Bowles’ defensive background, the defense is expected to be elite.

But the offense can’t be regarded as a poor stepchild. It already has more swagger with Brandon Marshall joining Eric Decker at receiver along with rookie wideout Devin Smith out of Ohio State. It has leadership with center Nick Mangold and tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson, and new blood with free-agent guard James Carpenter from Seattle.

Colon is correct: Quarterback play will determine the course of the Jets’ season, and Marshall’s relationship with Smith is pivotal. So far there has been nothing but positive reinforcement, like on Wednesday when Smith threw a perfect strike just beyond the reach of a defender’s hands as Marshall ran a crisp out pattern.

“Good ball, boy,” Marshall yelled to Smith after making the catch.

The offense may not be a Porsche yet, but it is better than the lemon they had much of last season. 

- END OF ARTICLE 

I guess Smith isn't doing so bad in OTAs after all.  

Great Article.

Whether or not it translates into insta wins as everyone hopes for I don't know.  One thing I do know however this is how you run a team and an organization that wants to compete year after year.

So thanks again..

Great Article.

Whether or not it translates into insta wins as everyone hopes for I don't know.  One thing I do know however this is how you run a team and an organization that wants to compete year after year.

So thanks again..

You are welcome.

If Bowles realizes that NFL teams are allowed to pass, and that you should get rid of QBs that throw a lot of pics, he already knows more about offense than Rex

Farrve throws pics. Geno throws picks.

So the offense goes out and hands the D a bit of "ass-whipping on a platter" and no one shows Geno love? If that was Fitzpatrick on the field 75% of the new threads would have been about that. 

Hopefully im stirring up trouble! :-)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Willie Colon applied some pressure on Geno Smith off the field Tuesday, and Ryan Fitzpatrick did the same on the field Wednesday.

Fitzpatrick -- currently second on the quarterback depth chart behind Smith -- continued to look good during the Jets' latest organized team activities (OTAs), including a long run from scrimmage and a 50-yard touchdown pass to Eric Decker during 7-on-7 drills, the highlight of the day.

According this article it appears Fitzpatrick was The Main reason the offense did better than the defense on Wednesday.

So the offense goes out and hands the D a bit of "ass-whipping on a platter" and no one shows Geno love? If that was Fitzpatrick on the field 75% of the new threads would have been about that. 

Hopefully im stirring up trouble! :-)

Behave!!  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Willie Colon applied some pressure on Geno Smith off the field Tuesday, and Ryan Fitzpatrick did the same on the field Wednesday.

Fitzpatrick -- currently second on the quarterback depth chart behind Smith -- continued to look good during the Jets' latest organized team activities (OTAs), including a long run from scrimmage and a 50-yard touchdown pass to Eric Decker during 7-on-7 drills, the highlight of the day.

According this article it appears Fitzpatrick was The Main reason the offense did better than the defense on Wednesday.

No it appears Fitz played well. I see no where that he was the main reason the offense did better.    From the article I posted:  

Quarterback play will determine the course of the Jets’ season, and Marshall’s relationship with Smith is pivotal. So far there has been nothing but positive reinforcement, like on Wednesday when Smith threw a perfect strike just beyond the reach of a defender’s hands as Marshall ran a crisp out pattern.

Why wasn't this mentioned in that article?  I think some of these writers have their own agendas.  

The article was about the 2 minute warning, and the loser had to run gassers. Who was the QB on the field? 

and that you should get rid of QBs that throw a lot of pics, he already knows more about offense than Rex

That statement is patently false. Picks are overrated. What matters is TD/INT ratio. The same team with a QB that throws 30TDs and 25 picks would win more games than a QB that throws 14 TDS and 2 INTs

That statement is patently false. Picks are overrated. What matters is TD/INT ratio. The same team with a QB that throws 30TDs and 25 picks would win more games than a QB that throws 14 TDS and 2 INTs

Um...  Isn't 6:5 worse than 7:1?  If you are saying overall TDs is what matters fine, for TD/INT ratio your example makes no sense,

Um...  Isn't 6:5 worse than 7:1?  If you are saying overall TDs is what matters fine, for TD/INT ratio your example makes no sense,

Not to mention it isn't necessarily correct either. Just look at the Jets from 2011 to 2012.

A full FG per game was given up when the defense wasn't even on the field (7 TDs), not counting favorable field position on turnovers that didn't result in defensive TDs. We won more games the prior year when there were no such TDs scored (until a meaningless one in the final game, when we would have otherwise shut out Buffalo). Yet not only did we win more games, but we did so while scoring fewer points per game (same # of D/ST TDs). 

In other words, there is no such rule. It depends how the picks come.

If they come in huge bunches, then as disastrous as those games are the picks don't spill over to other games. Say in a 3-game snapshot, a QB threw 2 TDs and 11 picks. Freaking awful. Well if the QB had a 30:25 ratio on the season, that also means that in 13 of 16 games his ratio was 28:14. The other 3 games don't get discounted, because they led to losses, but a bad game where a QB throws 0 TD and 1 pick counts the same in the standings as when he throws 0 TDs and 4 picks. You can't rack up more than 1 loss per game no matter how badly the QB plays. The rest of the way he's still throwing a pick per game (not all of which lead to an opposing TD or FG anyway), but he's also throwing 2 TDs to offset them.

Now on the other hand if he's throwing 1.5-2 picks per game virtually every week, or if those "in bunches" games are occurring down the stretch with the playoffs on the line, (with pushover opponents keeping that average down further), that QB's going to cost his team the playoffs. 

Not to mention it isn't necessarily correct either. Just look at the Jets from 2011 to 2012.

A full FG per game was given up when the defense wasn't even on the field (7 TDs), not counting favorable field position on turnovers that didn't result in defensive TDs. We won more games the prior year when there were no such TDs scored (until a meaningless one in the final game, when we would have otherwise shut out Buffalo). Yet not only did we win more games, but we did so while scoring fewer points per game (same # of D/ST TDs). 

In other words, there is no such rule. It depends how the picks come.

If they come in huge bunches, then as disastrous as those games are the picks don't spill over to other games. Say in a 3-game snapshot, a QB threw 2 TDs and 11 picks. Freaking awful. Well if the QB had a 30:25 ratio on the season, that also means that in 13 of 16 games his ratio was 28:14. The other 3 games don't get discounted, because they led to losses, but a bad game where a QB throws 0 TD and 1 pick counts the same in the standings as when he throws 0 TDs and 4 picks. You can't rack up more than 1 loss per game no matter how badly the QB plays. The rest of the way he's still throwing a pick per game (not all of which lead to an opposing TD or FG anyway), but he's also throwing 2 TDs to offset them.

Now on the other hand if he's throwing 1.5-2 picks per game virtually every week, or if those "in bunches" games are occurring down the stretch with the playoffs on the line, (with pushover opponents keeping that average down further), that QB's going to cost his team the playoffs. 

I read something a few months ago about Aaron Rodgers.  It suggested that he would win more games if he threw more 4th quarter INTs.  They did a study and basically, to come from behind you have to take more risks and that will lead to more INTs.  Interesting article, but I think Tonto, Frankenstein and Tarzan can say it pretty simply:  Touchdowns good! Interceptions bad!

No it appears Fitz played well. I see no where that he was the main reason the offense did better.    From the article I posted:  

Quarterback play will determine the course of the Jets’ season, and Marshall’s relationship with Smith is pivotal. So far there has been nothing but positive reinforcement, like on Wednesday when Smith threw a perfect strike just beyond the reach of a defender’s hands as Marshall ran a crisp out pattern.

Why wasn't this mentioned in that article?  I think some of these writers have their own agendas.  

As you clearly stated  "Why wasn't this mentioned in that article?"... I am going by what the "Article" stated & you can infer from it that Fitzpatrick outplayed geno on Wednesday... PERIOD.

As you clearly stated  "Why wasn't this mentioned in that article?"... I am going by what the "Article" stated & you can infer from it that Fitzpatrick outplayed geno on Wednesday... PERIOD.

You realize this is from ANOTHER article right?  So can I consider that two different writers had focused on different topics for their article.  From that I INFER two different points of view.  

Archived