Rich Kotite... some history ~ ~ ~

kelly

Jets History : Looking at Kotite - Personnel Problems

there were a number of things that Rich Kotite during his reign as the head coach of the New York Jets. When you finish with a record of 4-28, you're hardly a pin up for sound tactical football advice.

However his personnel management was perhaps the most puzzling of all. First of all when he was hired by the Jets he made the mistake of hiring his merry band of misfit friends to join the staff. The off-season workouts were like spring break for the coaches, beers, late nights and if you believe all the rumors, not much discipline.He then played a part in selecting Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp and we all know how that turned out.However it was his decisions on the field that were perhaps the most puzzling and if you want to sum up his lack of tactical awareness, you just need to remember two names, Vance Joseph and Everett McIver. If you ever want to explain to friends or family why Kotite was so bad at what he did, then bring up these two names.

First of all Vance Joseph was a college quarterback who went undrafted, the Jets signed him as a free agent and immediately converted him to cornerback. Changing position at any level is difficult, changing position at the highest level is extremely difficult. Now when you're trying to become a cornerback, that's about as tough as you can get. Kotite didn't see it this way.Jospeh was a very poor cornerback, and you really can't blame him for that. However Kotite thought it would be a good idea to put him in man coverage against the Oakland Raiders Tim Brown, the same Tim Brown who would land in the Hall of Fame. If you have to play an undrafted quarterback at the cornerback position against a future hall of famer, you need to give him safety help and a lot of it. He barely got any, the Jets lost 47-10, Tim Brown put on a show on his way to two touchdowns and the Jets fans started chanting "Lets Go Raiders"!

Then we come to Everett McIver, a left tackle who got his first career start against the Buffalo Bills, a Bills team that included Bruce Smith, one of the best pass rushers of all time, in fact he holds the record for most QB sacks and he's a member of the hall of fame. Rich Kotite wasn't worried, he put the inexperienced McIver in one-on-one coverage. The result? A field day for Smith, a bit hit on Esiason that knocked him out of the game and a lot of puzzled looks around the stadium. Boomer would comment that he couldn't remember the hit at all, Smith would say that it was the most violent incident of his career and he was surprised the Jets left him in one-on-one coverage with McIver.

There were many things wrong with Rich Kotite, his personnel decisions was definitely one of them.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/6/26/8850639/jets-history-a-lesson-from-kotite

Jets History : Looking at Kotite - Personnel Problems

there were a number of things that Rich Kotite during his reign as the head coach of the New York Jets. When you finish with a record of 4-28, you're hardly a pin up for sound tactical football advice.

However his personnel management was perhaps the most puzzling of all. First of all when he was hired by the Jets he made the mistake of hiring his merry band of misfit friends to join the staff. The off-season workouts were like spring break for the coaches, beers, late nights and if you believe all the rumors, not much discipline.He then played a part in selecting Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp and we all know how that turned out.However it was his decisions on the field that were perhaps the most puzzling and if you want to sum up his lack of tactical awareness, you just need to remember two names, Vance Joseph and Everett McIver. If you ever want to explain to friends or family why Kotite was so bad at what he did, then bring up these two names.

First of all Vance Joseph was a college quarterback who went undrafted, the Jets signed him as a free agent and immediately converted him to cornerback. Changing position at any level is difficult, changing position at the highest level is extremely difficult. Now when you're trying to become a cornerback, that's about as tough as you can get. Kotite didn't see it this way.Jospeh was a very poor cornerback, and you really can't blame him for that. However Kotite thought it would be a good idea to put him in man coverage against the Oakland Raiders Tim Brown, the same Tim Brown who would land in the Hall of Fame. If you have to play an undrafted quarterback at the cornerback position against a future hall of famer, you need to give him safety help and a lot of it. He barely got any, the Jets lost 47-10, Tim Brown put on a show on his way to two touchdowns and the Jets fans started chanting "Lets Go Raiders"!

Then we come to Everett McIver, a left tackle who got his first career start against the Buffalo Bills, a Bills team that included Bruce Smith, one of the best pass rushers of all time, in fact he holds the record for most QB sacks and he's a member of the hall of fame. Rich Kotite wasn't worried, he put the inexperienced McIver in one-on-one coverage. The result? A field day for Smith, a bit hit on Esiason that knocked him out of the game and a lot of puzzled looks around the stadium. Boomer would comment that he couldn't remember the hit at all, Smith would say that it was the most violent incident of his career and he was surprised the Jets left him in one-on-one coverage with McIver.

There were many things wrong with Rich Kotite, his personnel decisions was definitely one of them.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/6/26/8850639/jets-history-a-lesson-from-kotite

Nah Kotite's GM sabotaged him by giving him garbage talent forcing him to start out of position CBs and disasters on the offensive line. Like a bad movie on repeat with this team.

Nah Kotite's GM sabotaged him by giving him garbage talent forcing him to start out of position CBs and disasters on the offensive line. Like a bad movie on repeat with this team.

Kotite was his own GM, he was in charge of the entire football operation. 

How about a post about why $h*t stinks?

No one really knows for sure, but scientists think it's an evolved natural defense mechanism since fecal matter is typically full of disease and dangerous bacteria.  But they're not so sure why we tend to not be offended by our own fecal matter and fluff clouds. 

Kotite2.jpg

Now working at a mcdonalds in rawanda

Kotite1.jpg
magnify-clip.png
I will suck your soul into oblivion!
Rich Kotite is a name that should not be spoken of.

Say it 3 times, and he shall appear, run your team into the ground, and cast your soul into a hell that can only be saved by excessive consumption of Tuna.

Responsible for the arrival of Bubby Brister and infinite amount of nightmares for any sane Jets fan.

Credit goes to PDM for making that great page lol

In hiring Kotite, the Jets have picked a head coach with a winning record in the N.F.L. for the first time in more than 30 years.

"Rich is a fighter, a builder, a 'deze' and 'doze' guy, a leader, bringing the New York Jets back," said Hess.

Hess said the Jets "will play with the greatest determination, 60 minutes of every game, 16 games a season."

In hiring Kotite, the Jets have picked a head coach with a winning record in the N.F.L. for the first time in more than 30 years.

"Rich is a fighter, a builder, a 'deze' and 'doze' guy, a leader, bringing the New York Jets back," said Hess.

Hess said the Jets "will play with the greatest determination, 60 minutes of every game, 16 games a season."

Still horrible after all these years!!!!!

One of the biggest reason's Kotite failed was that he put together one of the worst coaching staffs ever. It really was pathetic, and to think he got two years as HC! His first year was 3-13 and his 2nd was 1-15.  In 1997 with many of the same players, Parcells improved them to 9-7, and came within a hair of making the playoffs.

I can only imagine what Jet Boards, like this, would have been like during the Kotite years.

Kotite found Chrebet....who is a dee's and doe's guy

If Kotite had drafted him I would give him credit but Chrebet was undrafted.

It was more because of HC Joe Gardi's rec and Marty Lyons who was doing Hofstra football on the radio back then talking him up to the Jets.

It was more because of HC Joe Gardi's rec and Marty Lyons who was doing Hofstra football on the radio back then talking him up to the Jets.

He got a tryout after sending tapes to every team in the NFL. Only the Jets gave him a tryout. And no matter how much he sucked and we hate him, Kotite saw the talent and kept him in the roster. You can't take that away from him.

At least he gave us something

Lets be fair, if we cream Kotite for everything else, he deserves credit for this.

One of the biggest reason's Kotite failed was that he put together one of the worst coaching staffs ever. It really was pathetic, and to think he got two years as HC! His first year was 3-13 and his 2nd was 1-15.  In 1997 with many of the same players, Parcells improved them to 9-7, and came within a hair of making the playoffs.

I can only imagine what Jet Boards, like this, would have been like during the Kotite y

If you honestly feel this way then folks can NEVER and I mean NEVER complain about the basic job Herm, Mangini or Rex did ever again because each of those coaches gave us extremely competitive teams that tried hard and were for a time in each of those men's tenure LEGITIMATE SB contenders.

It is this false bag of Gold (hope) that they are IMO so often vilified.

They each let us down, by getting our hopes up, each in his own way, showed some promise and their individual and collective failure gets our ire because we were close with them.

Kotite is rarely mentioned because the more you learn about him the worst his HC time truly reveals itself.

So if you give Kotite some credit, which may be warranted then the other coaches in the dark of our soul definitely deserve some thanks and props as well....

I'm giving him credit for finding Chrebet. He gets credit for nothing else, was as bad as a HC can be. Don't know what finding Chrebet has to do with anything else others did later or before. He sucked and that doesn't change what Herm, Mangini or Rex did.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I've followed the Jets from '68.  I subjectively ranked the HCs during that time frame:

Ewbank won a Super Bowl, but he was also the GM and made awful personnel moves that too quickly dismantled a Super Bowl team in '68 and a division winner in '69.  If you want to flip Ewbank and Parcells I understand.  Parcells did a great job taking over a team that finished 1-15 in '96 and almost got them to the playoffs in '97 and then to the Championship Game in '98 I also believe Parcells did a fantastic job in '99 getting the Jets to 8-8, including winning the final 4 games, without a QB.  I ranked Michaels ahead of Ryan because Michaels took over an awful team in '77 and in an era of no Free Agency he patently built a young team from the ground up and got them to the 1982 AFC Championship Game.  Unfortunately he was fired after the '82 season for non-football reasons.  To me this was the turning point in the history of the Jets going from Michaels to Walton and finishing 7-9 in 1983.

1. Parcells

2. Ewbank

3. Michaels

4. Ryan

5. Edwards

6. Walton

7. Mangini

8. Groh

9. Coslet

10. Carroll

11. Winner

12. Holtz

13. Kotite

I'm giving him credit for finding Chrebet. He gets credit for nothing else, was as bad as a HC can be. Don't know what finding Chrebet has to do with anything else others did later or before. He sucked and that doesn't change what Herm, Mangini or Rex did.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I agree 100%

To say Kotite was bad miss the point entirely. 

Kotite literally is on lists, that one can Google, of all time worst coaches in any sport in any level. 

I've followed the Jets from '68.  I subjectively ranked the HCs during that time frame:

Ewbank won a Super Bowl, but he was also the GM and made awful personnel moves that too quickly dismantled a Super Bowl team in '68 and a division winner in '69.  If you want to flip Ewbank and Parcells I understand.  Parcells did a great job taking over a team that finished 1-15 in '96 and almost got them to the playoffs in '97 and then to the Championship Game in '98 I also believe Parcells did a fantastic job in '99 getting the Jets to 8-8, including winning the final 4 games, without a QB.  I ranked Michaels ahead of Ryan because Michaels took over an awful team in '77 and in an era of no Free Agency he patently built a young team from the ground up and got them to the 1982 AFC Championship Game.  Unfortunately he was fired after the '82 season for non-football reasons.  To me this was the turning point in the history of the Jets going from Michaels to Walton and finishing 7-9 in 1983.

1. Parcells

2. Ewbank

3. Michaels

4. Ryan

5. Edwards

6. Walton

7. Mangini

8. Coslet

9. Carroll

10. Winner

11. Holtz

12. Kotite

Good list and sound post.

But IMO there is no way you put Parcells over Webb when Webb pulled off one of the greatest upsets in NFL history to get the Jets lone SB victory....

Other than that actually a good list... Also I would move Carroll up to 6.  He too was fired to soon.

P.S.  I truly believe that if Hess didn't fire Walt the Jets would have won a SB under his tenure he was that good.

But IMO there is no way you put Parcells over Webb when Webb pulled off one of the greatest upsets in NFL history to get the Jets lone SB victory....

Other than that actually a good list... Also I would move Carroll up to 6.  He too was fired to soon.

P.S.  I truly believe that if Hess didn't fire Walt the Jets would have won a SB under his tenure he was that good.

As much as I loved Parcells he missed the playoffs 2 of 3 seasons and they missed due to decisions he made. As much as he changed the culture here, a huge thing I know, he wasn't here enough or accomplished enough to get the top spot.

As much as I loved Parcells he missed the playoffs 2 of 3 seasons and they missed due to decisions he made. As much as he changed the culture here, a huge thing I know, he wasn't here enough or accomplished enough to get the top spot.

Parcells should have become the HC after Belichick ditched the organization in 2000.  We wouldn't have had to deal with back2back duds like Groh and Edwards.

I agree! IMO replacing Michaels with Walton was truly a turning point in NY Jets history.

Parcells should have become the HC after Belichick ditched the organization in 2000.  We wouldn't have had to deal with back2back duds like Groh and Edwards.

Parcells said he would coach for 3 years and did he didn't want to stay long term especially after Hess died..

1. Parcells

2. Ewbank

3. Michaels

4. Ryan

5. Edwards

6. Walton

7. Mangini

8. Groh

9. Coslet

10. Carroll

11. Winner

12. Holtz

13. Kotite

Good list...the SB IMO gives WEEB the one spot and I believe Carroll got the shaft.

The Michaels firing was the typical bone head move that JETS management has made for 40 years.

Archived