Gailey Looks to Big-Hitting Enunwa in H-Back Role

JetNation

So gross.  I literally remember saying, just take either of the LSU players right now, Landry or Hill and all will be great because they're both awesome and fill a need.

Instead, we took a soft Joker TE who cant even do that so now he's an HBack losing his job to a 6th round WR.  Wow

I loved Hill...jeeze Amaro, what a disappointment.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coaching breakdown on Enunwa with Amaro out:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Enunwa-Has-Become-Jets-Tweener/51468e8a-e544-4510-ba7f-7363b71c12f9

Is Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif a receiver? Or is he a tight end?

“He’s kind of a tweener. It gives the opposition a problem as to what they’re going to play in the game, whether it’s base or whether it’s sub,” said head coach Todd Bowles this week. “If it’s sub, he can go ahead and block some of the smaller guys. If it’s base, hopefully he can outrun some of the bigger guys. He’s a kind of interesting guy that can do both, so we’re trying to maximize all of the use we can get out of his talents.”

Throughout most of the summer, Enunwa has worked with the first team offense as the team’s third receiver.  A sixth-round pick of the Jets in the 2014 draft, Enunwa has not just been relegated to slot duty.

“It’s not so much as I’m a slot receiver – I’m just kind of the third receiver sometimes,” he said. “So I go in and depending on the formation, I might be inside or outside.”

A thickly-built target, the 6’2”, 225-pounder has the ability to create mismatches. He can overpower nickel defenders and also has the speed to beat linebackers down the field.

“In the slot, there is a lot more open room. Sometimes the DBs are a little bit smaller or they might put a linebacker out there,” he said. “Either or is fun. I like to play outside as well.”

With veteran Jeremy Kerleyicon-article-link.gif still working his way back from a concussion, Enunwa is the team’s No. 3 receiver at present time. A member of the Jets practice squad in 2014, Enunwa wants to continue to evolve.

“I’m happy with what I’ve done, but I still have a lot of work to do,” he said. “I’ve done a lot of good things in terms of just getting my assignments and doing my job, but there’s always room for improvement and so I’m working every day to get better and better.”

Enunwa, who started 34 games at Nebraska while totaling 115 receptions for 1,526 yards and 15 touchdowns, was also known for his blocking prowess in Lincoln. The Jets possess a lot of size at WR when they employ lineups featuring Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif (6’4”, 230), Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif (6’3”, 215) and Enunwa.

“It (Blocking) was a big thing at Nebraska,” he said. “Having great running backs to block for - it definitely kind of created that culture for me. Just coming here, I wanted to bring it in and make sure I kept that going because it’s always something that can help your team.”

In addition to WR coach Karl Dorrell, Enunwa is receiving guidance from both Marshall and Decker.

“They help me out a lot. They help me in reading coverages, running my routes – the intricacies of my routes,” he said. “Just kind of learning everything about being a receiver so I can be better.”

With Jace Amaroicon-article-link.gif on season-ending injured reserve, Enunwa’s role could become even more significant moving forward. Versatility is huge for an offense and Enunwa provides the club some interesting options.

“With that knowledge of the offense, it’s helped me play different positions and get on the field a little bit more,” he said. “So I definitely feel a lot more confident this year.”

Quincy Enunwa - WR - Jets

According to ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini, the team is "smitten" with second-year WR Quincy Enunwa.

Coach Todd Bowles called the 2014 sixth-round pick a "tweener" due to his 6'2/225 size and above-average blocking skills for a receiver. With Jace Amaro (shoulder) done for the season, Enunwa could have a real role on offense. OC Chan Gailey used four-receiver sets on a league-high 586 snaps from 2010-2012 in Buffalo. Enunwa and Brandon Marshall make for ideal slot players.

Some great articles today.  Hopefully he is in for a big year that they didnt want to unveil in the preseason.  I can't see OLBs covering him.  The dude is 6'2 225 and ran a 4.40 40 at the combine.  LBs can't runt with that, many DBs can't...he has potential to create mismatches.  I trust Gailey.

Not sure anymore.  Enunwa looks a lot more willing and better at doing what Amaro is supposed to be doing.  So, maybe not?  

Using Enunwa as an H-Back puts pressure on the defense.   they need to decide whether to treat him as wr or as a TE in their personnel groupings.   Based on the Giants game it looks like Gailey wants to line use Enunwa to get a 5th DB on the field and then pound the football.   

Using Enunwa as an H-Back puts pressure on the defense.   they need to decide whether to treat him as wr or as a TE in their personnel groupings.   Based on the Giants game it looks like Gailey wants to line use Enunwa to get a 5th DB on the field and then pound the football.   

Lot of flexibility with him on the field.  You have to be all for miss matches....blocking and passing.  I like the kid and maybe he can be a better Keith Byars.  I'd take it.  

Lot of flexibility with him on the field.  You have to be all for miss matches....blocking and passing.  I like the kid and maybe he can be a better Keith Byars.  I'd take it.  

he's not much smaller than Dustin Keller. Wasn't Dustin 230? It's time that we find some late round picks that can contribute. Developing players was not Rex schtick.

he's not much smaller than Dustin Keller. Wasn't Dustin 230? It's time that we find some late round picks that can contribute. Developing players was not Rex schtick.

Keller was 250, even smaller TES like Aaron Hernandez are 245 (Byars was almost 260)...so I don't think he's close to TE size...but the way we run our spread offense will put him in motion a lot and have him all over the field.  The match ups will be interesting.

Awesome.  Love the creativity.

Edited: NINJA^^^^^

Didnt Aaron Hernandez play that position for the Pasts?  I think Hernandez may have been a little bit bigger and a lot slower.

Hernandez is blazing fast for a TE.  Aaron Hernandez was 245lbs and ran a 4.6 40...he was a nightmare match up at TE because even the LBs that move that fast, move that fast running straight ahead, not that fast in coverage.  So that left you taking a safety and moving him over the TE freeing up the slot WR for single man coverage, something Welker and Co. ate up.

if you look at the Jets, they plan to have Enunwa all over the field at 6'2 225lbs and 4.40 40, and move guys like Decker and Marshall into the slot...there will also be times where Devin Smith/Owusu will be outside in this formation.  The safety will be in the middle of the field, because Enunwa and marshall/Decker are inside...if we had a QB with an ARM, that QB would be facing 1:1 coverage all day outside with Devin Smith/Owusu...there will never be safety help out there in this personnel grouping...unless they are playing zone, then the middle of the field is open all day for Enunwa and Decker/Marshall...win/win either way.

I'm not sure why the hatred for Amaro - last year was hard to judge a wr/te due to the lack of competent qb play - just because he's injured now makes no sense to write him off...

Because if in two seasons you have an injury, a torn labrum youre soft and a puss.  Really.  Read it here.

Face it, like Pryor and the rest, if you were a higher pick by Idzik you just call them shlt and want them gone.  Its amazing to read some of the comments 

He is fast, but 4.45 is not 4.40.   He is also kind of stiff, but that should not hamper him too much as an H-back.  He is not really a burner that will require CBs to have safety help..

Well, the video attached above from the combine is 4.40 not 4.45...click play above to see the 4.40 for yourself...

I'm not sure why the hatred for Amaro - last year was hard to judge a wr/te due to the lack of competent qb play - just because he's injured now makes no sense to write him off...

Dude gets hurt and now we want to sh*t all over him like he got hurt on purpose. I really dont understand this mentality.  I hope the kid makes a full recovery and comes back strong next year. In the meantime I am excited to see Enunwa in his H-Back role.

Dude gets hurt and now we want to sh*t all over him like he got hurt on purpose. I really dont understand this mentality.  I hope the kid makes a full recovery and comes back strong next year. In the meantime I am excited to see Enunwa in his H-Back role.

I like the idiotic idea that a labrum tear makes you soft.  

Problem is no one will ever give anyone drafted by Idzik, especially in year 2 a fair shake.  Much easier to just make Idzik jokes

Problem is no one will ever give anyone drafted by Idzik, especially in year 2 a fair shake.  Much easier to just make Idzik jokes

well, we could look for silver linings from the kotite years also...but why put forth the effort?

well, we could look for silver linings from the kotite years also...but why put forth the effort?

And what does Kotite or the Kotite years have to do with an injury to a player?

And how does that make it less ridiculous to call a player with a labrum tear soft?  

Whos asking for a silver lining, again, not getting any analogy here either.

And how does that make it less ridiculous to call a player with a labrum tear soft?  

Don't bother, you are wasting your time.... 

Yep, Amaro was one of the top receivers in last years draft and was projected to go in 2 or 3rd round.  He actually had a better season then Eric Ebron who had Stafford throwing to him and Megatron and Tate playing along side him.   Sure he struggled a little with some dropped passes early on but improved as the season went on.   Had he remained healthy there is no doubt in my mind that he would have emerged as a real threat in our offense and giving us a another 6' 5 target for the red zone. 

Yep, Amaro was one of the top receivers in last years draft and was projected to go in 2 or 3rd round.  He actually had a better season then Eric Ebron who had Stafford throwing to him and Megatron and Tate playing along side him.   Sure he struggled a little with some dropped passes early on but improved as the season went on.   Had he remained healthy there is no doubt in my mind that he would have emerged as a real threat in our offense and giving us a another 6' 5 target for the red zone. 

No doubt?  Even though he was playing with the 3rd stringers through most of camp? 

No doubt?  Even though he was playing with the 3rd stringers through most of camp? 

Yep no doubt; I am going on what he did last year against NFL starters.  I could really care less about preseason as it is practically meaningless.  Do you seriously think Cumberland and that other stiff Davis was going to get more PT once the real games began?    

You don't, huh?  Probably because you are ignoring your own words and just focusing on the injury.  Your exact quote, "Problem is no one will ever give anyone drafted by Idzik, especially in year 2 a fair shake.  Much easier to just make Idzik jokes"

Were there some good moves and transactions during the Kotite era?  Sure, Hugh Douglas, Wayne Chrebet, Keyshawn, Marcus Coleman, Ray Mickens, etc..., there were some finds in there by Kotite.  But why look for Kotite's successes?  Same applies to Idzik.  Did he find some talent while he was here, Ivory, Enunwa, Richardson...sure.  But the damage he did far outweighed the accomplishments.

You don't, huh?  Probably because you are ignoring your own words and just focusing on the injury.  Your exact quote, "Problem is no one will ever give anyone drafted by Idzik, especially in year 2 a fair shake.  Much easier to just make Idzik jokes"

Were there some good moves and transactions during the Kotite era?  Sure, Hugh Douglas, Wayne Chrebet, Keyshawn, Marcus Coleman, Ray Mickens, etc..., there were some finds in there by Kotite.  But why look for Kotite's successes?  Same applies to Idzik.  Did he find some talent while he was here, Ivory, Enunwa, Richardson...sure.  But the damage he did far outweighed the accomplishments.

what does Kotite have to do with Amaro being tough?  What does drafting someone who outplays those taken higher in the same draft at the same position have to do with Kotite?  And what does someone tearing a shoulder have to do with the GM who picked him or with Kotite?  Based on how Amaro played the pick was fine.  That he tore something doesn't change that. So to rip Idzik over is makes no sense.  No matter how much you want to blame someone.  We're talking about one player, not the rest of his draft.  

what does Kotite have to do with Amaro being tough?  What does drafting someone who outplays those taken higher in the same draft at the same position have to do with Kotite?  And what does someone tearing a shoulder have to do with the GM who picked him or with Kotite?  Based on how Amaro played the pick was fine.  That he tore something doesn't change that. So to rip Idzik over is makes no sense.  No matter how much you want to blame someone.  We're talking about one player, not the rest of his draft.  

wow.  Two posts with a lot of words just to say, "I don't understand your analogy."  No additional posts needed...you can't comprehend.  Understood.

wow.  Two posts with a lot of words just to say, "I don't understand your analogy."  No additional posts needed...you can't comprehend.  Understood.

no one can, your analogy is nuts and makes absolutely no sense.  Friggen Kotite, wtf are you talking about, what has any of this nonsense have to do with people calling Amaro soft for a tear?  Try that, it's simple. 

Yep no doubt; I am going on what he did last year against NFL starters.  I could really care less about preseason as it is practically meaningless.  Do you seriously think Cumberland and that other stiff Davis was going to get more PT once the real games began?    

Yes.   I am deathly afraid that other stiff is going to see the field.

I too am generally opposed to stiffs seeing the field. However, I'm all for stiffs in the parking lot.

Kr6OaBH.gif

no one can, your analogy is nuts and makes absolutely no sense.  Friggen Kotite, wtf are you talking about, what has any of this nonsense have to do with people calling Amaro soft for a tear?  Try that, it's simple. 

no one can?  Now you speak for all humans on Earth.  Interesting.

Not to derail your debate about analogies, but...

When a discussion of the talent you have found includes a guy that spent the entire season on the practice squad and has zero NFL statistics you probably did not do a very good job.

Not to derail your debate about analogies, but...

When a discussion of the talent you have found includes a guy that spent the entire season on the practice squad and has zero NFL statistics you probably did not do a very good job.

...that's an indirect shot at Idzik, and my analogy does as well, hence comparing his 2 years at GM to the 2 years Kotite was our GM (95-96)...you're arguing my side of the debate.  if the analogy continued, it would be like Kotite finding gem "Marcus Coleman" and we hope Enunwa develops into a servicable player...like Coleman did eventually; however, Kotite finding Coleman doesn't prevent Jets fans from taking shots at Kotite, just like if Enunwa ends up being really good, it shouldn't stop jets fans from taking shots at Idzik...

Archived