Fitz's impact on the O-line

AFJF

Of all the things I saw yesterday that encouraged me I'd have to say it was the same thing that jumped out at me at camp, which you never know if it will carry over or not...but seeing how quickly Fitz got rid of the ball. 

He made his decisions in a hurry and the ball came out before any defenders had a chance to get to him.  As a result, a Jets o-line that got killed by the fans last season when Geno was holding the ball for 4+ seconds and getting sacked, kept Fitz upright all day.  No dancing around, no running toward the opposite end zone under pressure.

Fun to watch.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of this and some Brandon Marshall being a horse.  At times it felt like he would run his progression and when in doubt, heave it to #15.

Kinda what you are supposed to do when you have the benefit of a true #1 receiver stud.  Cool to see Marshall making Fitz better than the long line of receivers who have recently come to the Jets to die.  LOL

Kinda what you are supposed to do when you have the benefit of a true #1 receiver stud.  Cool to see Marshall making Fitz better than the long line of receivers who have recently come to the Jets to die.  LOL

Agreed.  The funny thing is that I expected having a "go-to guy" would help Geno more than Fitzpatrick.  I like the way Geno throws, but whenever he rushes, or looks unorthodox he seems to **** up his footwork and make errant throws.  Having a guy like Marshall may have let him load up and throw that direction when in doubt.  Fitzpatrick seems much better at improvisation.

Agreed.  The funny thing is that I expected having a "go-to guy" would help Geno more than Fitzpatrick.  I like the way Geno throws, but whenever he rushes, or looks unorthodox he seems to **** up his footwork and make errant throws.  Having a guy like Marshall may have let him load up and throw that direction when in doubt.  Fitzpatrick seems much better at improvisation.

Fitz just seems to play "faster".  He just makes quick decisions and takes what he is given.  His arm strength is abysmal but he does everything else really well.  I have to think having a guy like Marshall will help any QB play better.  

Some of this and some Brandon Marshall being a horse.  At times it felt like he would run his progression and when in doubt, heave it to #15.

Number 15 is something I have been screaming for us to pick up for years. Its certainly nice to have that big possession WR and Marshall has been available more than once. Imagine what he would have done for the 09/10 teams that featured ball control offenses and a young QB. Sanchez made a lot of boneheaded plays but Imagine if he had an outlet to work with or at least a dependable TE. Its so important when a QB who can rely on that and its horrible when your a QB and have no help at all.

It was a joy to see how many times Marshall used his body to block out defenders when catching the football the guy is extremely aware of what's going on around him and he's the whole package who will also help the running game. Speaking of the running game ALL our receivers now block in the running game something we have not seen since Braylon left town and while some unknowledgeable football fans poke fun at that, its a very important part of what we will be doing in the run game.

Fitz just seems to play "faster".  He just makes quick decisions and takes what he is given.  His arm strength is abysmal but he does everything else really well.  I have to think having a guy like Marshall will help any QB play better.  

At no point yesterday did I see abysmal arm strength. As a matter of fact I saw Fitz zip more than a few passes when he needed too. The guy has good touch when needed and he can zip it as well. If you noticed he seems to be using his legs more and more each week by stepping up in the pocket so his arm strength is getting better by the week and its probably what was holding him back in the pre-season fake QB competition. You don't throw some of the outs Fitz was throwing yesterday with a bad arm. I think While Fitz has no rocket he certainly has a good arm much better than some think.

At no pint yesterday did I see abysmal arm strength. As a matter of fact I saw Fitz zip more than a few passes when he needed too. The guy has good touch when needed and he can zip it as well. If you noticed he seems to be using his legs more and more each week by stepping up in the pocket so his arm strength is getting better by the week and its probably what was holding him back in the pre-season fake QB competition. You don't throw some of the outs Fitz was throwing yesterday with a bad arm. I think While Fitz has no rocket he certainly has a good arm much better than some think.

Of course you didn't.  You a glass over flowing and drowning the neighbors kinda of guy when it comes to QB's.  I love you for this.  

Of all the things I saw yesterday that encouraged me I'd have to say it was the same thing that jumped out at me at camp, which you never know if it will carry over or not...but seeing how quickly Fitz got rid of the ball.

He made his decisions in a hurry and the ball came out before any defenders had a chance to get to him.  As a result, a Jets o-line that got killed by the fans last season when Geno was holding the ball for 4+ seconds and getting sacked, kept Fitz upright all day.  No dancing around, no running toward the opposite end zone under pressure.

Fun to watch.

Was nice to see him work through his progressions and then deliver.  very nice!

At no point yesterday did I see abysmal arm strength. As a matter of fact I saw Fitz zip more than a few passes when he needed too. The guy has good touch when needed and he can zip it as well. If you noticed he seems to be using his legs more and more each week by stepping up in the pocket so his arm strength is getting better by the week and its probably what was holding him back in the pre-season fake QB competition. You don't throw some of the outs Fitz was throwing yesterday with a bad arm. I think While Fitz has no rocket he certainly has a good arm much better than some think.

At no point did you see abysmal arm strength?  the pick that Marshall stipped from the safety was an example of a drastically under thrown ball where he needed to throw over the top to Marshall and he just didn't have the arm, despite it being a seam route inside the numbers.

The Jets are playing Decker and Marshall more in the slot this year to help make up for his arm weakness.  throwing inside the numbers is much easier than outside the numbers, so put your best WRs against the weaker CBs in the slot that helps your weak armed QB complete passes...they handled the weak arm through scheme, but there were still glimpses of even that not helping...hence the easy pick and miracle by Marshall.

Agreed...he's got more arm strength than he showed at FP and even overthrew Decker on a deep ball.  He's not gonna' toss it 80 yards, but he's got plenty of arm strength to keep defenses honest.   I'll take it.

The OL get an A rating for the game at least. Brandon Marshall abused Joe Haden all day.

+1 on both, OL was awesome and Marshall owned Haden...despite marshall being considered washed up my many news outlets...he still looked like the best offensive player on the field yesterday with Ivory.

At no point did you see abysmal arm strength?  the pick that Marshall stipped from the safety was an example of a drastically under thrown ball where he needed to throw over the top to Marshall and he just didn't have the arm, despite it being a seam route inside the numbers.

The Jets are playing Decker and Marshall more in the slot this year to help make up for his arm weakness.  throwing inside the numbers is much easier than outside the numbers, so put your best WRs against the weaker CBs in the slot that helps your weak armed QB complete passes...they handled the weak arm through scheme, but there were still glimpses of even that not helping...hence the easy pick and miracle by Marshall.

in fitz's post game interview he said he saw the lb and threw it over him but didn't see the safety underneath and that's who picked it.  had nothing to do with lack of arm strength.

The pick was a ball thrown where Fitz didn't see the defender nothing more . It had nothing to do with arm strength. If Fitz threw that ball harder it would have been intercepted that much faster.

The Jets are playing Decker and Marshall in the Slot because they have played in the slot numerous times in their career and that fact is well known. The Jets are playing them there because  they are running a ball control offense. Get the ball out quick with quick reads. You know who else does that type stuff ? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady both well coached ball control offenses that beat teams to death with it. So now the Jets employ it and its because the QB has a bad arm ? Give me a break man. I would much rather see this than some Idiot gunslinger mentality. Watch Jay Cutler as the year goes on see what that great arm gets you besides stupid mistakes . Besides Fitz threw his share of balls downfield and while deep balls are low percentage passes they are designed more to open things up underneath you know like real offensive coordinators run an offense. If you remember Shotty he would have replaced those well called deep balls by splitting a FB out wide oh those were the days/

Disclaimer: Before any says I just compared Fitz to Brady and Manning just stop and don't bother wasting my time with that crap. 

+1 on both, OL was awesome and Marshall owned Haden...despite marshall being considered washed up my many news outlets...he still looked like the best offensive player on the field yesterday with Ivory.

yep and Fitz getting the ball out quick will also nullify the rush. The run blocking did exactly what it is designed for wear down the Defensive front so you can run it down their throats in the late 3rd and 4th quarters. That's why you should NEVER abandon the run if you fall behind. Once again a Shotty move. Real OC FTMFW

in fitz's post game interview he said he saw the lb and threw it over him but didn't see the safety underneath and that's who picked it.  had nothing to do with lack of arm strength.

Marshall broke deep heading towards the endzone...if it wasn't bad arm strength, than it was a plain piss poor throw...your WR runs deep, you lead him down the field.  Playing QB 101, throw the ball where he's going, not where he is.  That ball was under thrown by a mile if there was a safety there or not...sounds like a piss poor excuse to me.  That ball would have been a tough diving towards the QB catch for Marshall and was easily under cut and picked...it was a piece of sh!t throw, regardless of the reason...and badly under thrown.

The pick was a ball thrown where Fitz didn't see the defender nothing more . It had nothing to do with arm strength. If Fitz threw that ball harder it would have been intercepted that much faster.

The Jets are playing Decker and Marshall in the Slot because they have played in the slot numerous times in their career and that fact is well known. The Jets are playing them there because  they are running a ball control offense. Get the ball out quick with quick reads. You know who else does that type stuff ? Peyton Manning and Tom Brady both well coached ball control offenses that beat teams to death with it. So now the Jets employ it and its because the QB has a bad arm ? Give me a break man. I would much rather see this than some Idiot gunslinger mentality. Watch Jay Cutler as the year goes on see what that great arm gets you besides stupid mistakes . Besides Fitz threw his share of balls downfield and while deep balls are low percentage passes they are designed more to open things up underneath you know like real offensive coordinators run an offense. If you remember Shotty he would have replaced those well called deep balls by splitting a FB out wide oh those were the days/

Disclaimer: Before any says I just compared Fitz to Brady and Manning just stop and don't bother wasting my time with that crap. 

Decker and marshall in the slot is comparable to Emmanuel Sanders and Welker/Edelman?  While I agree a lot of it has to do with helping the run game, as well as match-ups, I think it is silly to pretend it doesn't have "some" to do with arm strength.  I would argue the same applies to Manning and Brady...neither of which are known to have the greatest arms in today's game either (at least at this stage of their careers, and Brady never had a great deep game other than when he had Moss, he's bottom 3 in completing passes over 9 yards every season)...

Marshall broke deep heading towards the endzone...if it wasn't bad arm strength, than it was a plain piss poor throw...your WR runs deep, you lead him down the field.  Playing QB 101, throw the ball where he's going, not where he is.  That ball was under thrown by a mile if there was a safety there or not...sounds like a piss poor excuse to me.  That ball would have been a tough diving towards the QB catch for Marshall and was easily under cut and picked...it was a piece of sh!t throw, regardless of the reason...and badly under thrown.

Yes, it was a piss poor throw.  All QB's make those.  Fitz acknowledged as much. 

Dude I'm no big fan of Fitz, but you are seriously grasping at straws in this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One bad throw versus 8-12 per game with Geno. Massive upgrade

Decker and marshall in the slot is comparable to Emmanuel Sanders and Welker/Edelman?  While I agree a lot of it has to do with helping the run game, as well as match-ups, I think it is silly to pretend it doesn't have "some" to do with arm strength.  I would argue the same applies to Manning and Brady...neither of which are known to have the greatest arms in today's game either (at least at this stage of their careers, and Brady never had a great deep game other than when he had Moss, he's bottom 3 in completing passes over 9 yards every season)...

Brady has a rocket arm always has. Its just not what they do in new England. Now Manning has lost a lot of zip probably due to his nerve damage yet the guy still throws for 4000 + yards and 30 to 40 TD's a year with short passes. We can do the same no need to ever push the issue with this offense the way its built. Its much easier on a QB to create mismatches underneath than ask him to throw 20 yard outs all the time.

I see you're point man and its a valid opinion but even if Fitz had a gun I don't think things would change very much other than the occasional broken play where he would have to scramble and gun a ball in there to make a play.

Cannons do not go "zip"

Yeah they go BOOM when losing games ...I seem to remember Brett "cannon" Favre going boom his entire career in the playoffs :P

The only QB with a gun for an arm that's worth a sh*t in this league is Aaron Rodgers and trust me we are not going to be in that category of QB for a long long time if ever

Dammit.  I hate it when Smashmouth says he likes a Jet QB. 

One bad throw versus 8-12 per game with Geno. Massive upgrade

I dont want a Fitz vs Geno debate...but to pretend there wasnt any points yesterday a stronger arm may have helped Fitz is incorrect, IMO.  There are some limitations there that will continue to be on display all season; however, saying he looked solid vs Cleveland is a true statement.  Im not going to pretend Geno wouldnt have looked good vs the Browns either, as will many QBs this year.  We just beat likely the team with the #1 pick in the NFL draft come April at home.  I will say it's better QB play than what we've seen historically, but Im not going to pretend we just beat the Seahawks in Seattle either...

I dont want a Fitz vs Geno debate...but to pretend there wasnt any points yesterday a stronger arm may have helped Fitz is incorrect, IMO.  There are some limitations there that will continue to be on display all season; however, saying he looked solid vs Cleveland is a true statement.  Im not going to pretend Geno wouldnt have looked good vs the Browns either, as will many QBs this year.  We just beat likely the team with the #1 pick in the NFL draft come April at home.  I will say it's better QB play than what we've seen historically, but Im not going to pretend we just beat the Seahawks in Seattle either...

Yeah I hear you but the Geno v. Fitz debate is not going away any time soon. Of course there were points available with a stronger arm. But how many others would Geno have missed with his brain that Fitz got?

Yeah I hear you but the Geno v. Fitz debate is not going away any time soon. Of course there were points available with a stronger arm. But how many others would Geno have missed with his brain that Fitz got?

We'll never know and that's okay too, as long as we got the win.

To quote the immortal Winston Wolf... "let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet..." because Fitz did have a couple of moments of sloppiness yesterday.  But with that said I think that we can put to bed some of that nonsense being tossed out there by Geno fanbois about Fitz being the worst Jets QB of all time.

Not perfect yesterday but good enough and way better than the record suggests wee would have gotten from Geno. 

To quote the immortal Winston Wolf... "let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet..." because Fitz did have a couple of moments of sloppiness yesterday.  But with that said I think that we can put to bed some of that nonsense being tossed out there by Geno fanbois about Fitz being the worst Jets QB of all time.

Not perfect yesterday but good enough and way better than the record suggests wee would have gotten from Geno. 

+ 1

More TD's than picks is a nice change. 

Archived