Who should lead the chant next?

Maxman

I saw an open letter to Jets fans by Fireman Ed float by on Facebook. I am holding off on posting here since not sure of site affiliation or whatever and don't want to be a DB as I like this place and don't want to break forum etiquette

But in said open letter Ed clearly says 

"The chant is now in the hands of Scott in section 121 and Rob “Jetman” in section 140. I believe they will do a great job and keep the chant tradition alive for many years to come. I will continue to be at all of our home games (as always) and a few road games as well. I look forward to talking to the fans at these games as well."

He also briefly addresses his detractors.  Thought I'd share in case anyone is interested, and my apologies if this was posted elsewhere

woodword_zpslpycputr.jpg

"Thanks, Ed."

--Robert Wood Johnson IV

SAR I

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The chant happens AFTER we score.  [...]  The players are too busy high-fiving to hear it.  [...]

SAR I

[B. Marshall] Just talked about what he said to Ed.

He said he told him it's offense, defense, special teams and Ed.  

Said hearing the J-E-T-S chant was the coolest thing he's ever heard and it gave him goosebumps.

Told him he can't pass the torch, must stay.

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

Brandon Marshall is an excellent football player but a rather transparent social media manager.

Yet another uninformed person in the Jets organization who thinks that 1) Fireman Ed represents the 2015 PSL fanbase and 2) everyone loves Fireman Ed.  You would think they'd learn by now.  There was the WSS rally that no one attended in 2005.  There was the Official Fireman Ed App that no one downloaded in 2009.  There was a pathetic turnout to the Fireman Ed Pregame Celebration in 2010.  There was the complete indifference in 2011.  There was the 2012 rage-quit that humiliated the team and alienated the fanbase.  There was a 3 year period where his name wasn't mentioned and no one cared.  There was an eye-opening petition with no signatures in 2015.  There is such a scarcity of interest that it makes the point extremely clear: 

Jets fans simply don't care about Fireman Ed.  Someone tell the Jets organization already.  They keep shoving this mascot in our faces over and over again and there is absolutely no interest.

SAR I

Idk who Jet man is, but if he's the guy who led the chant after Ed on Sunday, he kinda sucks at it.  Not nearly demonstrative enough.

Two things going on here.  Let's talk about each so perhaps we can resolve this and even give the Jets an idea of what they really should be doing:

1.  Mascot:  Teams have stuffed mascots because they are for children, gets the youngsters excited to go to the game.  Mr. Met leads banner parades and does birthday parties.  No one has a human as a mascot because they have feelings and draw attention away from their actual purpose.

2.  Chant:  It's a tradition that people aren't that into any more.  Mainly because there are other drags on our attention from the PA people and Fireman Ed's rage-quit rubbed people the wrong way.

I would recommend that the Jets do the following:

1.  Mascot:  Get a real mascot in here, a stuffed airplane or something kid-friendly.  Get the youngsters engaged, something they want to purchase in the gift shop, something to put on a t-shirt.  Pat The Patriot (NE), Thunder The Horse (DEN), that type of thing.

2.  Chant:  Get a studio, hire a film crew, get Brandon Marshall to perform the chant ritual, and put it up on the four giant LED screens already.  Instead of forcing a fan to compete with the PA system after a score, just do it yourself.  A lot of good things here.  First, we'll all chant behind a player we respect, second we'll know it's happening, and third the Jets can sell the rights.  "Hey fans....it's time for the JETS CHANT sponsored by Coors Light.....here we go!"  and then the video runs with Brandon Marshall doing the arm waving, the quieting, and a 3-2-1 countdown.

Win-win for everyone.  We get a mascot with a muzzle and we know when to chant and actually like the guy that's leading it.

SAR I

We always had a mascot: HUDDLES!!!!!!!

COu7R25XAAE9Xgq.jpg

We need this stuffed, friendly, and muzzled airplane mascot for the kids and we need Brandon Marshall on the video boards with a prerecorded "Get up and let's do the chant!  J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets!" message after each TD and that's that.

It's so simple, really.  Take the grumpy cat who didn't want the job out of the mix, replace him with a stuffed animal and a video, DONE.

SAR I

6974194.jpg

+1

The chant has turned from something quaint and nostalgic to something stupid and humiliating.

It all goes back to the fact that the chant is about a person and not an organization.  Ed Anzalone's feelings shouldn't be newsworthy.  Pat The Patriot might be depressed for all we know but he keeps his f---ing mouth shut and smiles like a good mascot. 

SAR I

Are you aware that the strength behind your side of the argument is the equivalent in ridiculousness to the firm support of the idea that only one man is worthy of leading the chant? 

Two things going on here.  Let's talk about each so perhaps we can resolve this and even give the Jets an idea of what they really should be doing:

1.  Mascot:  Teams have stuffed mascots because they are for children, gets the youngsters excited to go to the game.  Mr. Met leads banner parades and does birthday parties.  No one has a human as a mascot because they have feelings and draw attention away from their actual purpose.

2.  Chant:  It's a tradition that people aren't that into any more.  Mainly because there are other drags on our attention from the PA people and Fireman Ed's rage-quit rubbed people the wrong way.

I would recommend that the Jets do the following:

1.  Mascot:  Get a real mascot in here, a stuffed airplane or something kid-friendly.  Get the youngsters engaged, something they want to purchase in the gift shop, something to put on a t-shirt.  Pat The Patriot (NE), Thunder The Horse (DEN), that type of thing.

2.  Chant:  Get a studio, hire a film crew, get Brandon Marshall to perform the chant ritual, and put it up on the four giant LED screens already.  Instead of forcing a fan to compete with the PA system after a score, just do it yourself.  A lot of good things here.  First, we'll all chant behind a player we respect, second we'll know it's happening, and third the Jets can sell the rights.  "Hey fans....it's time for the JETS CHANT sponsored by Coors Light.....here we go!"  and then the video runs with Brandon Marshall doing the arm waving, the quieting, and a 3-2-1 countdown.

Win-win for everyone.  We get a mascot with a muzzle and we know when to chant and actually like the guy that's leading it.

SAR I

You're a tone deaf psycho if you listened to that chant before halftime and didn't hear that people were into it.

Yes, another chant thread. But let's say that Ed is moving back to retirement. Who should do the chant next?

I say it should be JetMan. He seems like a really good dude. We interviewed him years ago before a tailgate. I believe he drives pretty far to get to the games. And he is wearing a cape. You have to root for someone who is wearing a cape.

The other guy fell during one of the chants. I don't think you get to mess up on your first day and continue. Sorry, but Jetman gets my vote.

He also wears that stupid hat with jet wings on it. The chant should be a spontaneous eruption of joy and should be shouted out after every Jets touchdown.

Are you aware that the strength behind your side of the argument is the equivalent in ridiculousness to the firm support of the idea that only one man is worthy of leading the chant? 

My side of the argument is already proven:

Bad Mascot?  Yes.  He quit on the team.

Chant Necessary?  No.  It didn't help us win or lose a single game.

Costume Needed?  Yes.  Without it, no one knows a chant is underway.

Ed Needed?  No.  The petition says so.

SAR I

Here's an idea: with all the celebrities that follow the Jets, why not before the season starts get a bunch of those celeb Jets fans together and have them all do a little intro video leading up them starting the Jets chant and throw it up on the jumbo tron.

Like, put Sandler up there, have him say something funny real quick....like him falling asleep on his couch watching a Jets game, then waking up and saying something like "its a miracle, we scored, we scored" and then bust into the J-E-T-S and the crowd follows.

You could have a different celeb for each TD or each game or something.

Make it happen Maxman.  Just remember who lobbed you the idea. 

Idk who Jet man is, but if he's the guy who led the chant after Ed on Sunday, he kinda sucks at it.  Not nearly demonstrative enough.

He wasn't JetMan.

JetMan is the guy on left in my signature photo below.

There is also another photo of him in one of the preceding posts.

That guy after Ed on Sunday was lame.  Pencil arms and I heard he fell down.  Can't be doing that on the first time out.

JetMan wears a green cape and looks pretty serious even though he's probably out of his mind.

Don't know if he will have the same vein popping ability Ed had though.

My side of the argument is already proven:

Bad Mascot?  Yes.  He quit on the team.

Chant Necessary?  No.  It didn't help us win or lose a single game.

Costume Needed?  Yes.  Without it, no one knows a chant is underway.

Ed Needed?  No.  The petition says so.

SAR I

I'm merely mentioning the fervor in which you attack this debate. It's only that aspect of your argument which invalidates it. Makes it look like Ed may have stole your candy or something and it's more of a personal attack than anything real. 

I happen to disagree with a few of your points and I agree with a few of your points. Th Jets chant is as unnecessary as tailgating is but both make the experience unique and that much more special. Who cares if it wins games or not? It's ours and it's fun to do.  

You're being a poopy pants

Here's an idea: with all the celebrities that follow the Jets, why not before the season starts get a bunch of those celeb Jets fans together and have them all do a little intro video leading up them starting the Jets chant and throw it up on the jumbo tron.

Like, put Sandler up there, have him say something funny real quick....like him falling asleep on his couch watching a Jets game, then waking up and saying something like "its a miracle, we scored, we scored" and then bust into the J-E-T-S and the crowd follows.

You could have a different celeb for each TD or each game or something.

Make it happen Maxman.  Just remember who lobbed you the idea. 

the miracle would be sandler actually saying something funny again. unfortunately the time is approaching where we will have to, once again, endure this idiot on the radio singing his monumentally stupid hannakah song

I'm merely mentioning the fervor in which you attack this debate. It's only that aspect of your argument which invalidates it. Makes it look like Ed may have stole your candy or something and it's more of a personal attack than anything real. 

I happen to disagree with a few of your points and I agree with a few of your points. Th Jets chant is as unnecessary as tailgating is but both make the experience unique and that much more special. Who cares if it wins games or not? It's ours and it's fun to do.  

You're being a poopy pants

Nothing invalidates the fact that Ed is retired.

And that's good.

SAR I

Yes, another chant thread. But let's say that Ed is moving back to retirement. Who should do the chant next?

I say it should be JetMan. He seems like a really good dude. We interviewed him years ago before a tailgate. I believe he drives pretty far to get to the games. And he is wearing a cape. You have to root for someone who is wearing a cape.

The other guy fell during one of the chants. I don't think you get to mess up on your first day and continue. Sorry, but Jetman gets my vote.

Marshawn Lynch's momma !!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived