Your 2015-2016 New York Knicks--Melo, KP, Fisher, Barnes & Gloria

SMC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/30/2016 at 10:16 PM, Matt39 said:

The Knicks screwing with Aflalo is good. Opt out idiot.

And Melo's doing the Olmypics again? lolz

Melo playing in the Olympics is a good thing.  The 2 best seasons of his career were after the Olympics.  This raises his trade value.

6 hours ago, SMC said:

Melo playing in the Olympics is a good thing.  The 2 best seasons of his career were after the Olympics.  This raises his trade value.

Pretty key part of both those squads too. Krzyzewski loved the guy. He's always been big on playing for the country. Not sure why that's a problem, it would be nice if more players felt the same way. Looking at the current roster though I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to have him on the team. There are several guys who are younger and faster who can do what he does, Thompson, Green, Leonard...etc. I guess if Lebron says no then it makes sense from a veteran standpoint, but meh, Durant can serve that role just fine while we get some younger guys Olympic experience. This is a bit of a transitional squad from years past and I think getting newer guys some time in international ball is more important. My guess is he's probably a lock based on his success in international play and his role as a locker room guy in past Olympics, so it's probably pointless arguing about this.

37 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Pretty key part of both those squads too. Krzyzewski loved the guy. He's always been big on playing for the country. Not sure why that's a problem, it would be nice if more players felt the same way. Looking at the current roster though I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to have him on the team. There are several guys who are younger and faster who can do what he does, Thompson, Green, Leonard...etc. I guess if Lebron says no then it makes sense from a veteran standpoint, but meh, Durant can serve that role just fine while we get some younger guys Olympic experience. This is a bit of a transitional squad from years past and I think getting newer guys some time in international ball is more important. My guess is he's probably a lock based on his success in international play and his role as a locker room guy in past Olympics, so it's probably pointless arguing about this.

I agree, but I don't think there's anyway that Colangelo, Coach K etc. deny Melo a chance at history.  

The fans view Melo one way why the players view him another.  While LeBron is Ron Burgundy, Melo is Champ Kind.  They love the guy and always want him around because he's fun to be with.  If Melo wants to play in the Olympics but Team USA says no, I think that will send negative ripples through the league and Team USA will have a harder time attracting top talent in the future.  

Don't screw over the funny sidekick is the moral of the story.

37 minutes ago, SMC said:

I agree, but I don't think there's anyway that Colangelo, Coach K etc. deny Melo a chance at history.  

The fans view Melo one way why the players view him another.  While LeBron is Ron Burgundy, Melo is Champ Kind.  They love the guy and always want him around because he's fun to be with.  If Melo wants to play in the Olympics but Team USA says no, I think that will send negative ripples through the league and Team USA will have a harder time attracting top talent in the future.  

Don't screw over the funny sidekick is the moral of the story.

I don't necessarily agree with Lebron always being Ron in the Olympics, or Melo being just a sidekick because he's actually been one of the better international players the U.S. has had since they started letting pros in, but that's semantics. Melo's always been key in international play because Europeans struggle to guard someone that versatile; but the thing is in international play the team is always so loaded that if his shot is off you can just bench him like they did against Spain in '08 and just defer to Kobe. The problem is this year there isn't going to be a Kobe, and there might not be a Lebron, and thinking about it a little more now, I guess yeah having Melo and Durant there might be important if (and probably when) we go up against Spain. That is going to be a loaded and very hungry team with their last chance at gold on the line, and if we're stacked to the gills with youth I might honestly put my money on the Spaniards.

End of the day I think the focus should be on USA building around Curry and probably Westbrook going forward, and Lebron should nut up and do what Kobe did in '12 in handing things off to future guys for the the benefit of the program. It's a weird Olympics for us, Davis and Paul being out really hurt.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't necessarily agree with Lebron always being Ron in the Olympics, or Melo being just a sidekick because he's actually been one of the better international players the U.S. has had since they started letting pros in, but that's semantics. Melo's always been key in international play because Europeans struggle to guard someone that versatile; but the thing is in international play the team is always so loaded that if his shot is off you can just bench him like they did against Spain in '08 and just defer to Kobe. The problem is this year there isn't going to be a Kobe, and there might not be a Lebron, and thinking about it a little more now, I guess yeah having Melo and Durant there might be important if (and probably when) we go up against Spain. That is going to be a loaded and very hungry team with their last chance at gold on the line, and if we're stacked to the gills with youth I might honestly put my money on the Spaniards.

End of the day I think the focus should be on USA building around Curry and probably Westbrook going forward, and Lebron should nut up and do what Kobe did in '12 in handing things off to future guys for the the benefit of the program. It's a weird Olympics for us, Davis and Paul being out really hurt.

I'm not talking about Olympic play, I'm talking AAU/buddy-buddy NBA players environment.  Where most NBA players are meh about playing in the Olympics, it will be a bad look to them if Team USA treats poorly someone other players like and enjoy hanging out with.

That said, I agree on your take on what the trajectory of Team USA should be.

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Amazing how positive things happen when the moron Rambis is forced to use Grant

Calderone probably isn't coming back this season so these last few games are a great audition for Grant and Galloway to see what the Knicks need to do at PG next year. I expect Calderone to be traded, Afflalo to opt out, and Vujacic to be deported so the guard situation is worth watching.

Hopefully Rambis isn't involved with that decision. 

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Calderone probably isn't coming back this season so these last few games are a great audition for Grant and Galloway to see what the Knicks need to do at PG next year. I expect Calderone to be traded, Afflalo to opt out, and Vujacic to be deported so the guard situation is worth watching.

Hopefully Rambis isn't involved with that decision. 

Calderon is getting waived after June 1st the Knicks save $5 mil in cap room.  With the projected cap increase and Caldern getting cut the knicjs have around $21-24 million in cap room but so will the rest of the nba

32 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Isola's article today, Jesus. Jax wants Rambis back and Dolan doesn't. Dolan already working on contingency plan of securing Ujiri from Toronto if Jax bolts because of it.

What a ******* disaster.

Phil Jackson is reportedly pushing for Kurt Rambis to be the Knicks' next full-time head coach.
Jackson has reportedly been much more involved in helping Rambis run the team since he took over the head coaching duties for Derek Fisher, and that is because Rambis has been much more receptive to Jackson's input than Fisher ever was. While Carmelo Anthony would prefer Jackson go through an all encompassing coaching search, Rambis has reportedly emerged as Jackson's one and only choice. It'll be interesting to see if James Dolan signs off on the hire this offseason.
Source: New York Daily News Apr 6 - 5:04 PM

YKIgPcv.gif

1 minute ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Phil Jackson is reportedly pushing for Kurt Rambis to be the Knicks' next full-time head coach.
Jackson has reportedly been much more involved in helping Rambis run the team since he took over the head coaching duties for Derek Fisher, and that is because Rambis has been much more receptive to Jackson's input than Fisher ever was. While Carmelo Anthony would prefer Jackson go through an all encompassing coaching search, Rambis has reportedly emerged as Jackson's one and only choice. It'll be interesting to see if James Dolan signs off on the hire this offseason.

YKIgPcv.gif

Melo's fault obvi.

3 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

YKIgPcv.gif

Hey, what does Dallas hockey have to do with this?

I've read the articles, including Berman of The Post's doing Phil's dirty work to criticize Thibs.  I'm trying to convince myself that I didn't read the articles, I don't know what's happening or that what they're reporting about is true.

Having to rely on James Satan Dolan to be the voice of reason is unfathomable.

The cronyism is staggering blatant with Phil. Rambis has a career .333 winning percentage and guess what?  His winning percentage with the Knicks is the same!

Unbelievable.  The only saving grace (and there really isn't any, but this is like the NBA version of Life is Beautiful) is that with Rambis as HC the Knicks are guaranteed a top 5 pick in 2017, which will be a better draft than this year and the Knicks own their pick.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

I've read the articles, including Berman of The Post's doing Phil's dirty work to criticize Thibs.  I'm trying to convince myself that I didn't read the articles, I don't know what's happening or that what they're reporting about is true.

Having to rely on James Satan Dolan to be the voice of reason is unfathomable.

The cronyism is staggering blatant with Phil. Rambis has a career .333 winning percentage and guess what?  His winning percentage with the Knicks is the same!

Unbelievable.  The only saving grace (and there really isn't any, but this is like the NBA version of Life is Beautiful) is that with Rambis as HC the Knicks are guaranteed a top 5 pick in 2017, which will be a better draft than this year and the Knicks own their pick.

Honestly I think this is a play by Phil to hope Melo waives the NTC and Afflalo opts out. The Knicks dont have a pick so next years a waste regardless of who's coaching. The play is to tank next season without Melo on the roster doing branding and basically moonlighting as a basketball player. Just get him out. His contract is by far the biggest problem with the team outside of the putz owner.

I doubt Melo leaves though because he's got it made here. Sold out arenas, (branding) opportunities, wife gets to talk on the radio and zero pressure to win outside of a few guys on the internet.

You would hope that Phil had such a plan, rather than being so wedded to an obsolete offense and ready to commit naked cronyism.

It's an awful look for the NBA if Phil hires Rambis.  Rambis literally has the 5th worst coaching record in NBA history for coaches who have coached at least 200 games.

That said, Phil is known to troll people.  Maybe this Rambis leak is a troll job.  It's completely idiotic decision to hire him. There is not a single metric to justify the hiring.  Chris Herring has pointed it out.  The Knicks are actually worse in every way under Rambis compared to Fisher this year.

Well, the season is almost over, KP missed the last 6 games (which was the smart thing to do) and, unfortunately, Sasha got hot in the end and upped his shooting percentage and lost his chance at NBA immortality of futility.

I still can't believe that Rambis will be the new HC.  The commish even needs to step in on that.  It's an awful look for the NBA.

On April 9, 2016 at 8:52 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Have to wonder what took so long for Rambis and Fisher (before him) to finally give Grant some run. He's the best guard they have on the team, as he's shown since the Calderone injury. 

Because Rambis is an idiot

7 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Grant had another solid night, at least per the box score, I haven't had the palate to watch a game in a while so anyone who actually watched can chime in.  Still can't believe we don't have our 1st this year, I will never understand that trade.  

Its technically the Melo trade.

21 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why? The Knicks have a ton of money to spend. Should be a contender for the playoffs if they get a decent coach. 

The Knicks severely underachieved this season.  Their roster has about the same level of talent as the Hornets, Pistons or Pacers yet they won 32 games because Fisher sucked and Rambis was exponentially worse.

Give Thibs this roster they probably win around 44 games next season.  Ofcourse it won't happen because this franchise is cursed.

21 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

That's what soured me on him to begin with: he gutted the team just for money. Could have kept Gallo, Chandler and picks as trade chips for the future. 

The picks were the only thing the Knicks gave up of value in that trade.  Gallo is a walking injury and Chandler I don't know if he is even still in the nba.

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The only guy worth spending on is Durant and he's not coming to the Knicks.

Lebron is opting out this summer and has publicly said he wants to play with Melo his longtime buddy.  Ofcourse the Knicks are doing everything humanly possible to prevent that like trying to hire David friggin Blatt.

Archived