Your 2015-2016 New York Knicks--Melo, KP, Fisher, Barnes & Gloria

SMC

I feel your pain, Rutgers.  At least you're moving.  I'm in NY to stay and have no real other option.

The hell with Dolan and Phil.

All my hopes and dreams are on Porzingis.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knicks lose out on 9th pick in 2 player draft.

Interesting interview by Kupchek after lottery who said Lakers have enough young guys. Could they be open to a Melo trade?

3 hours ago, SMC said:

Knicks lose out on 9th pick in 2 player draft.

Interesting interview by Kupchek after lottery who said Lakers have enough young guys. Could they be open to a Melo trade?

Frank Isola: Since Carmelo said we’ll have “a problem” if Phil Jackson doesn’t expand coaching search, Knicks have met with Frank Vogel & Jeff Hornacek. Prior to Carmelo criticizing Phil Jackson for not talking to enough candidates, Jackson had called Luke Walton & met with David Blatt.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YPIrsRqqO7oB2/giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, SMC said:

I agree on Thibs and Ewing, but Hornacek doesn't suck. He's a good coach.

Dragic forced his way out of town to get away from him. Hornacek is another schlemiel that's clueless when it comes to rotations and doesn't give two craps about ball movement. You don't hire coaches that got fired midseason after his players quit on him. The fact that he loved to embarrassingly argue with Morris on the court should bode well for how everything plays out with Melo.

Hornacek was fired by the Suns in February after the team lost 19 of 21 games and 14 straight on the road. Phoenix began the season with playoff aspirations after posting records of 48-34 and 39-43 in Hornacek's first two seasons but had a 14-35 record and had fallen into 13th place in the 15-team West when the Suns cut ties with him.

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That was my thought exactly. They could have done better. They could have done worse. It's a real "meh" signing. Mostly because Phil doesn't care. 

If Phil didnt care he wouldve hired Rambis

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Dragic forced his way out of town to get away from him. Hornacek is another schlemiel that's clueless when it comes to rotations and doesn't give two craps about ball movement. You don't hire coaches that got fired midseason after his players quit on him. The fact that he loved to embarrassingly argue with Morris on the court should bode well for how everything plays out with Melo.

Then that just means he's perfect for the Knicks!

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think that's kind of the point. If he's done putting even a token effort into pretending there's any reason besides sheer spite for refusing to leave this is the next move. The one after is he gets super fat. This year's team was sh*tty and not funny. At least next season there's hope on the latter.

20 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not Thibs, not Vogel, but Honysex. 

REALLY!? The guy is the NBA version of Rex.

We need to get planes with banners in the sky to get rid of Phil. 

It's not a bad hire. Phoenix had the worst roster in the league last year besides Philly...plus he had to deal with Morris who's a psycho. 

The Knicks have to stop trading away draft picks.

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

"At least it isn't Rambis" inspires no hope. At all.

Porzingis is all the hope the Knicks need.  He's Luke Skywalker in this sh*t

Besides sucking as a coach, Rambis' biggest problem was that he was actually bad for Porzingis.  Stefan Bondy is a JAG reporter who wrote about KP's production decrease under Rambis (which is a superficial look), but Chris Herring had a good article on how Rambis was not only using KP poorly, but putting him in situations that will hurt his development, like putting him at the 3 which neutralizes KP's skillset.  Rambis is an ahole which none of the players like and a buffoon.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not Thibs, not Vogel, but Honysex. 

REALLY!? The guy is the NBA version of Rex.

We need to get planes with banners in the sky to get rid of Phil. 

Except for the fact that Hornaceck actually played the game, had a good NBA career, has a completely different personality and has a good mind for offense, he's essentially the same person as Rex

Oh, on an aside, did you guys see that the Knicks sent a trainer to Latvia to work with KP while he's on vacation?

Also, Grant is training with Mahmoud Abdul-Raul to improve his shooting.

16 minutes ago, SMC said:

Except for the fact that Hornaceck actually played the game, had a good NBA career, has a completely different personality and has a good mind for offense, he's essentially the same person as Rex

Testy. It's cool, I understand your frustration.  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

It's not a bad hire. Phoenix had the worst roster in the league last year besides Philly...plus he had to deal with Morris who's a psycho. 

The Knicks have to stop trading away draft picks.

Annnnndddd there's my comparison to Rex. Inherited a descent roster, was able to get the most out of them, had a couple of good years, and then imploded when the talent started to dry up because he wasn't able to cultivate the talent himself. By the end, they had lost their respective locker rooms, and the team generally stopped playing for them. 

It's no coincidence that both Rex and Horny ended up with the worst talent on their teams by the end of their tenure where both were fired. 

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Annnnndddd there's my comparison to Rex. Inherited a descent roster, was able to get the most out of them, had a couple of good years, and then imploded when the talent started to dry up because he wasn't able to cultivate it himself and started losing the team.

It's no coincidence that both Rex and Horny ended up with the worst talent on their teams by the end of their tenure where both were fired. 

Suns were injured last year.

26 minutes ago, SMC said:

Porzingis is all the hope the Knicks need.  He's Luke Skywalker in this sh*t

Besides sucking as a coach, Rambis' biggest problem was that he was actually bad for Porzingis.  Stefan Bondy is a JAG reporter who wrote about KP's production decrease under Rambis (which is a superficial look), but Chris Herring had a good article on how Rambis was not only using KP poorly, but putting him in situations that will hurt his development, like putting him at the 3 which neutralizes KP's skillset.  Rambis is an ahole which none of the players like and a buffoon.

Don't need to convince me of Rambis's incompetence. I'm just looking at Hornacek as "ho hum".

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

So which is it, they were the least talented, or had talent and were just injured, and the coach was simply fired for sh*ts and giggles?

PS, the Jets were completely depleted in Rex's last year too.

They were the least talented because of injuries. 

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Don't need to convince me of Rambis's incompetence. I'm just looking at Hornacek as "ho hum".

Ho hum is better than Rambis.

It's incredible how bad Rambis is.  Fifth worst coaching record in NBA history for anyone who has coached at least 200 games, squanders young talent and he's a dick and his players hate him

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Testy. It's cool, I understand your frustration.  

Not testy at all.  Just poking fun at your apples/orange comparison.

I'm not frustrated either considering the Rambis alternative.  Hornaceck can actually coach and has had success.

Also, it's interesting to note that writers are pointing out that Phil likes former players as coaches over those who never played.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Ho hum is better than Rambis.

It's incredible how bad Rambis is.  Fifth worst coaching record in NBA history for anyone who has coached at least 200 games, squanders young talent and he's a dick and his players hate him

Shoot for Ho hum just because it's better than Rambis, even though potential greatness with Thibs or Vogel is readily available, I say!

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Not testy at all.  Just poking fun at your apples/orange comparison.

I'm not frustrated either considering the Rambis alternative.  Hornaceck can actually coach and has had success.

Also, it's interesting to note that writers are pointing out that Phil likes former players as coaches over those who never played.

Any comparison will always become apples/oranges if you look deep enough. My reason for comparing him to Rex is due to this:

33 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Annnnndddd there's my comparison to Rex. Inherited a descent roster, was able to get the most out of them, had a couple of good years, and then imploded when the talent started to dry up because he wasn't able to cultivate the talent himself. By the end, they had lost their respective locker rooms, and the team generally stopped playing for them. 

Regardless of your feelings about the two, this particular comparison has merit. 

My initial post had nothing to do with Rambis. Am I happy that we upgraded from him? Obviously. My frustrations arise from the fact that Thibs and Vogel were sitting there readily available, and we went with Hornacek.

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Shoot for Ho hum just because it's better than Rambis, even though potential greatness with Thibs or Vogel is readily available, I say!

My top 3 were (1) Thibs, (2) Vogel (3) Blatt.

So, of course, I'm disappointed that neither of them were hired.  But I'm not going to act like Hornaceck is a train wreck.  He's a good coach with a good offensive mind.  Hence, I have no criticism for the hire.

Rambis was inexcusable.  Byron Scott is even a better coach than him.  But I wouldn't be satisfied with Scott.  I am satisfied with Hornaceck.  

Archived