New Orleans

Dcat

Flying home tomorrow after a week in New Orleans. 1st time I have ever visited this fun town.  Man, does this town treasure their Saints!  Every single thing that is not food, alcohol, music, or sex related centers around that team.  And that team was as bad as, if not worse than, the Jets for decades.

It's just shameful how the Jets are treated by this fan base and vicinity. No doubt about it... we SUCK as fans for the most part.  Most of the so-called "Jets fans" would be fed to the alligators here.

Agreed...BUT they are not divided  with Giants etc.

They have no hockey, no baseball etc.

Cities like Philly, Charlotte, Denver are very similar.

and yes, what a fun city.  

true, no baseball or hockey and they do have the Pelicans.  But LSU easily fills those vacant roles.  NY ain't a college ball town.  LSU is an hour away and is huge.  Sure we have a pair of NFL teams, but we have 10 times the population here and the people I am referring to are not the Giants fans... but rather many of the so-called the alleged Jets fans that I'm talking about.  Anyway, I didn't mean to cause a messageboard controversy.. just posting my observations.

90 % of those Saints fans you speak to who are so passionate used to be Cowboys fans.  I'm pretty tired of people telling us our fanbase sucks.  We haven't won a title since the Moon Landing but we haven't jumped ship yet.  We deserve some credit for that.

And it gives us the right to pi$$ on them whenever we want to. Especially when they play like warm dog turds on Sunday in a conference game that could have playoff implications. But what am I saying, the Jets are allergic to the playoffs.

90 % of those Saints fans you speak to who are so passionate used to be Cowboys fans.  I'm pretty tired of people telling us our fanbase sucks.  We haven't won a title since the Moon Landing but we haven't jumped ship yet.  We deserve some credit for that.

I don't disagree, but the % of passionate fans for the Jets from our area just is not what it ought to be. Much more passionate here.  No comparison.  I saw it all week long.

Flying home tomorrow after a week in New Orleans. 1st time I have ever visited this fun town.  Man, does this town treasure their Saints!  Every single thing that is not food, alcohol, music, or sex related centers around that team.  And that team was as bad as, if not worse than, the Jets for decades.

It's just shameful how the Jets are treated by this fan base and vicinity. No doubt about it... we SUCK as fans for the most part.  Most of the so-called "Jets fans" would be fed to the alligators here.

Isn't it amazing how passionate fans can be when your team is on a 3 game winning streak!! I wonder what the temperment was when they were 1-4??

We Jet fans were pretty happy when we were sitting at 4-1.... Just Sayin'

Isn't it amazing how passionate fans can be when your team is on a 3 game winning streak!! I wonder what the temperment was when they were 1-4??

We Jet fans were pretty happy when we were sitting at 4-1.... Just Sayin'

They are passionate in down years and in down stretches far more than Jets fans, IMO.  Just my opinion guys...

I don't disagree, but the % of passionate fans for the Jets from our area just is not what it ought to be. Much more passionate here.  No comparison.  I saw it all week long.

which area?

NY and NJ is huge, you have a ton of people that don't really care about football/fair-weather types.

Did you happen to catch Big Al Carson at the Funky Pirate?

Did you happen to catch Big Al Carson at the Funky Pirate?

No, sorry to say.  Did mostly typical tourist things: eating (God the food is great), drinking, pub crawls, bar bands, all in the French Quarter, Halloween Witch's Ball in the Garden district,  and stayed at a gorgeous plantation north of Baton Rouge one night.  We will be coming back.  This place is Fun with a capital "F".

Edit:  Was just informed by the smarter half that we were indeed at the funky Pirate the first night we were here.  Great Blues club... I just didn't know the name.  We were in so many places (good and bad) my head is still spinning.

they probably don't remember the down times 

I don't even remember the places I've been in the French quarter 5 days ago.  Returning to normalcy soon.  But thanks for the critical evaluation.  You're always good for that.

Fact: this town adores their team way more than NY area adores the Jets.

Jets are adored by a tiny percentage of the area population comparitavely. 

How did I know my fellow Jets fans would argue?  Because we are Jets fans and that's what we do!

And of course, we message board participants are way more passionate than the rest of the area, so our little group here is NOT a representative sample.  I think I got a real good representative sample from what I saw and those we talked too during this vacation.  

Fact: this town adores their team way more than NY area adores the Jets.

Fact:  New Orleans has the Saints, Pelicans and Tulane University.  Fact:  NYC has the Jets, Giants, Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Knicks, New York City FC (MLS) and St. John's University, not to mention the Islanders and Nets in Brooklyn. 

You know who also adores their teams?  Buffalo, Seattle, Oklahoma City (Thunder), Portland (Trailblazers), and Salt Lake City (Jazz).  Why?  Because there's no other pro sports teams around. 

Fact:  New Orleans has the Saints, Pelicans and Tulane University.  Fact:  NYC has the Jets, Giants, Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Knicks, New York City FC (MLS) and St. John's University.  

so you agree.  This town adores their football team more than NY Metro adores the Jets.  You listed all the reasons for it, but in the end, you agree.  There is no dispute.  

so you agree.  This town adores their football team more than NY Metro adores the Jets.  You listed all the reasons for it, but in the end, you agree.  There is no dispute.  

They're the only show in town and they're winning.  Once Brees leaves they'll be equally passionate about the Cowboys.  That's my point.

true, no baseball or hockey and they do have the Pelicans.  But LSU easily fills those vacant roles.  NY ain't a college ball town.  LSU is an hour away and is huge.  Sure we have a pair of NFL teams, but we have 10 times the population here and the people I am referring to are not the Giants fans... but rather many of the so-called the alleged Jets fans that I'm talking about.  Anyway, I didn't mean to cause a messageboard controversy.. just posting my observations.

it's Kool..... I went to NOLA in October. Had  a blast.  

Fair assessment. I've lived in several states, and the only region that really just doesn't know "how to be a fan" is the Northeast. Not even close.

Archived