Can we re-sign Wilkerson?

Freemanm

I'm not a math guy, so I'm putting this out there. I think we really have to sign Mo. He's as important as Revis, IMO. Can we afford him? I think Skrine, Cromartie, Kerley and Carpenter are way overpaid,

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

Yes, of course they can afford to resign him. The question is going to be is he worth what it's going to take. That's something Bowles and Mac will have to decided. I think he will be worth it, but they may place emphasis elsewhere. Once we see what happens with Brick and Mangold, then we'll see where the Jets have financial wiggle room. The cap should be going up again as well.

That said, Cro is getting cut, Kerley was paid by a past regime and doesn't feel like a fit here anymore, Skrine is massively overrated and overpaid but not going anywhere, and Carpenter has been our best offensive lineman this season and not overpaid at all. 

Yes, of course they can afford to resign him. The question is going to be is he worth what it's going to take. That's something Bowles and Mac will have to decided. I think he will be worth it, but they may place emphasis elsewhere. Once we see what happens with Brick and Mangold, then we'll see where the Jets have financial wiggle room. The cap should be going up again as well.

That said, Cro is getting cut, Kerley was paid by a past regime and doesn't feel like a fit here anymore, Skrine is massively overrated and overpaid but not going anywhere, and Carpenter has been our best offensive lineman this season and not overpaid at all. 

They will most likely be cutting Cro at the end of the season which will free up I think 8 million. They could add another 2-3 million and resign Wilk. I still say anything over 10-11 million is too much. You give that type of money to a QB or to a WR giving you double digit TD's every year. 

I think the Jets defense still has no defensive TD's. I can understand tying up Watt with a ridiculous amount of money because he'll get you 15-20 sacks per season, 15 TFL per season and a score or two. Wilkerson is putting in work, but anything over that 10-11 million per is still too much imo. 

On top of the fact that its still our top position in terms of depth. You can take that money and resign 3 depth guys and be okay. 

Skrine & Carpenter are not overpaid, if anything we may have got them on the cheap

for how they've played.  The question is IF we want to pay Wilkerson, no matter what his

final stats are I'm going to remember his no show against HOU.  Going against Watt he

didn't produce a Watt type of game

They will most likely be cutting Cro at the end of the season which will free up I think 8 million. They could add another 2-3 million and resign Wilk. I still say anything over 10-11 million is too much. You give that type of money to a QB or to a WR giving you double digit TD's every year. 

I think the Jets defense still has no defensive TD's. I can understand tying up Watt with a ridiculous amount of money because he'll get you 15-20 sacks per season, 15 TFL per season and a score or two. Wilkerson is putting in work, but anything over that 10-11 million per is still too much imo. 

On top of the fact that its still our top position in terms of depth. You can take that money and resign 3 depth guys and be okay. 

If he wants much more than that, then no, he should not be resigned. We all want him back, but it really comes down to his demands and how much the rest of the team would be sacrificed to keep him around. No matter how good one player is, he can't play three positions at once.

Skrine & Carpenter are not overpaid, if anything we may have got them on the cheap

for how they've played.  The question is IF we want to pay Wilkerson, no matter what his

final stats are I'm going to remember his no show against HOU.  Going against Watt he

didn't produce a Watt type of game

A slot corner who gets roasted every other game making over 6 million dollars while being outplayed by two UDFA is definitely overpaid. The only FA corner the Jets signed this offseason pulling his weight is Revis. 

ESPN guys just said he deserves $8-$9 million. 

Proving once again that ESPN is clueless.  If they said that.

Hes a top DL, who gets sacks.  He's disruptive.  Hes the #1 3-4 DL, #4 4-3 DL.  

He's not Watt.  No shlt, no one else is either.  That's a JN problem, not a football problem.  He's playing much, much better than Suh, who makes more than Watt.  The Jets can sign him, will have cap room, that's not the issue.  It's they have others to sign and they have to decide how much they want to pour into their DL

Proving once again that ESPN is clueless.  If they said that.

Hes a top DL, who gets sacks.  He's disruptive.  Hes the #1 3-4 DL, #4 4-3 DL.  

He's not Watt.  No shlt, no one else is either.  That's a JN problem, not a football problem.  He's playing much, much better than Suh, who makes more than Watt.  The Jets can sign him, will have cap room, that's not the issue.  It's they have others to sign and they have to decide how much they want to pour into their DL

The Suh contract is a freakin' aberration and nobody would give him that money again including and especially the Miami Dolphins so let's stop using one ridiculously overpaid player as a way to justify making a similar mistake ourselves.

If we can get him for 12-13 million per year then fine, otherwise both sides need to explore other options before things get truly poisonous here.  At that level he will still be getting paid like a top D-Lineman albeit not in the 16M (Watt) - 19M (Suh) range.

We have depth at DL and Mo has some trade value if he insists on (an unjustified IMO) stratospheric contract number.

And I just bought a Wilkerson jersey.

The Suh contract is a freakin' aberration and nobody would give him that money again including and especially the Miami Dolphins so let's stop using one ridiculously overpaid player as a way to justify making a similar mistake ourselves.

If we can get him for 12-13 million per year then fine, otherwise both sides need to explore other options before things get truly poisonous here.  At that level he will still be getting paid like a top D-Lineman albeit not in the 16M (Watt) - 19M (Suh) range.

We have depth at DL and Mo has some trade value if he insists on (an unjustified IMO) stratospheric contract number.

It's hard to believe that Mac can deal with Revis and not Mo something stinks in Mo-Town..

If you think the Revis decision was anybody other than Woody's, then I have some Florida swamp land you can buy.

Jets would be crazy not to re-sign Mo.

Yep.  Would let Sheldon drive 135 mph stoned  into the sunset and if need be give Big Snacks some cookies and wave goodbye to keep Mo.

If you think the Revis decision was anybody other than Woody's, then I have some Florida swamp land you can buy.

Do you know what Gronks contract is for the next few years?? His base is 4.7 million this year and 2.2 in 2016 with his bonus's it comes to 8.6 this year and 6.6 next year..

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rob-gronkowski/ What do you think Mo should get??

Well you don't really get to pick and choose which contracts you believe are aberrations or not.  No one thought it was an aberration when he signed the deal.  Now that he hasn't performed to the level and we don't want Mo to use it as part of his comps its an aberration.  Actually given Suhs deal it might be Watt who's the aberration, who's underpaid.  That surely would be Watt and his agents take.

Mo's probably an easy 13-14 mil per player, hopefully he takes something near what you say.  But I do think he gets near Watt money if he hits the open market.  He's worth it compered to others.  He's the top 3-4 DL in the league, just saw he's the 4th rated overall DL. 

I'm sure they needed Woody's sign off on a deal of this size.  But the main decision was a football decision.  Jets were awful at corner and Revis was the best CB in the league and available.  

Until he injured his leg and he was playing fine.  He played well last week.  He's a top corner.  The signing has had its desired effect

Well you don't really get to pick and choose which contracts you believe are aberrations or not.  No one thought it was an aberration when he signed the deal.  Now that he hasn't performed to the level and we don't want Mo to use it as part of his comps its an aberration.  Actually given Suhs deal it might be Watt who's the aberration, who's underpaid.  That surely would be Watt and his agents take.

Mo's probably an easy 13-14 mil per player, hopefully he takes something near what you say.  But I do think he gets near Watt money if he hits the open market.  He's worth it compered to others.  He's the top 3-4 DL in the league, just saw he's the 4th rated overall DL. 

A easy 13-14 million?? Here's a list of 3-4 DE's contracts so you think Mo is right under Watt?? http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/

Do you know what Gronks contract is for the next few years?? His base is 4.7 million this year and 2.2 in 2016 with his bonus's it comes to 8.6 this year and 6.6 next year..

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/rob-gronkowski/ What do you think Mo should get??

He's the best young DLineman in the league. Jets need to put a good offer on the table to wrap him up.

If he hits the open market, some team will pay him in the vicinity of Watt money.

Who is his agent?

He's the best young DLineman in the league. Jets need to put a good offer on the table to wrap him up.

If he hits the open market, some team will pay him in the vicinity of Watt money.

Who is his agent?

Chad Weisling of SIG Football. Looking at his clientele, Wilkerson may be his highest profiled client

Who is his agent?

Well we know the Pats won't be one of them..LOL Playing on a line with Snacks,Sheldon and Williams helps Mo quite a bit I would think..

A easy 13-14 million?? Here's a list of 3-4 DE's contracts so you think Mo is right under Watt?? http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/

That list isn't current and I'm sticking to the point that if he hits the FA market and is just looking for $$ he gets it.  

You people keep bringing up Watt as if its some kind of guideline to all FA deals.  Here's the thing.  Watt wouldnt sign for Watts is getting today if he were allowed to hit FA.  He'd blow by that deal he had.  

Well we know the Pats won't be one of them..LOL Playing on a line with Snacks,Sheldon and Williams helps Mo quite a bit I would think..

Helps him how much?  He was good, got similar accolades before those additions to the line.  

I don't think we can know how much help they provide.  

If the Jets drop that kind of coin on him, I'll be pissed unless the cap is going up another 20% because that's at least 20% more than his current value. God bless him if he can get it elsewhere.

I disagree.

If Mo hits the open market, I think the Pats would go after him big time.

BB loves the guy and can you imagine Chandler Jones on one side and Mo on the other???????

I can only dream.

I disagree.

If Mo hits the open market, I think the Pats would go after him big time.

BB loves the guy and can you imagine Chandler Jones on one side and Mo on the other???????

I can only dream.

That would be scary.  And set the Pats and their D up to make up for the eventual drop off of Brady

That list is interesting.  7 guys over $9MM and then a big dropoff to under $7MM at #8.  Clearly Mo is in the 'over $9MM' category.  Looking at that list, I'd think to slot him in around $10-$10.5/season on a 5 year deal with $20MM guaranteed.  Is it a bit rich, maybe but not by much in a rising cap environment.  And bottom line is, there are only about 10 DL in the league who are likely to perform even near his level over the next five years, and two of them may also be on the Jets. 

Here's the other thing.  From what I can see as a fan, Mo is a team player, never causes trouble, and shows up to play every week (John Abraham, are you listening?).  If we're going to let someone go, I'd rather trade Richardson (who I think is awesome as well, but a bit riskier) and keep Mo.  The cap is going up, so there's going to be money to spend.  Why let a top-5 DL walk?  So we can overpay average guys?

I don't even know what you are talking about. Pretty much the entire planet was loudly proclaiming the Suh contract to be an aberration the day it was announced. Don't come here now with your revisionist history to claim that it was not happening now that it has become clear that people were right. The fact that this does not align with your current arguments about Wilkerson is just too bad. He is not worth 14M per year and if that is what he wants then we move him for other assets and go with what we have on the DL. At some price every player on the planet becomes too expensive and Mo Wilkerson is not even on the same continent as a JJ Watt.  Nor should he be.

Helps him how much?  He was good, got similar accolades before those additions to the line.  

I don't think we can know how much help they provide.  

He took off when Sheldon was drafted in 2013 prior to that he has 8 sacks starting 31 games..Coples who everyone considered a bust had 10 his first 2 years starting 15 games.. Funny with all his accolades he never made a Pro Bowl .. Look I like Mo allot but this notch below Watt as some think he is to me is silly..

Archived