A Decade Later; How does Mangini sit with you?

Paradis

Edwards was epic awful at clock management, with Dick Curl. Recall the Quincy Carter game with everyone jumping up and down on the sideline like sugared up 5 year olds instead of acting like a professional as but one example. Not gonna rehash ALL OF IT.That wasn't some JI/JN myth, he was that phvcking bad.  Edwards was terrible, period. 

the clock mgmt stuff was so overblown, EVERY teams fans whines about clock mgmt.  he was never as bad as Bowles was this year and yet he gets a pass.

I remember the Quincy game against Baltimore.  I had more issues w/ Lamont Jordan throwing a halfback pass in a game we were dominating than the clock mgmt at the end of the game where the QB made some mistakes.

3 PO apps, div title- I wish we were that terrible this year.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the clock mgmt stuff was so overblown, EVERY teams fans whines about clock mgmt.  he was never as bad as Bowles was this year and yet he gets a pass.

I remember the Quincy game against Baltimore.  I had more issues w/ Lamont Jordan throwing a halfback pass in a game we were dominating than the clock mgmt at the end of the game where the QB made some mistakes.

3 PO apps, div title- I wish we were that terrible this year.

It makes me feel much better that you Love Rex and Herm so much

I want to win a SB, neither of those guys was ever going to win a SB for the Jets, so they were not good enough. AFCCG's are fun, and great and all, but if followed up by years of terrible football and a franchise with no direction, no thanks. 

can't get to a SB w/o getting to the playoffs first, w/o getting to title games.  1968 isn't happening again where we sit back and watch the 2 top teams in the league play an extra game then get to host them in a win and in game for the SB.  No one is saying build a statue for those guys but we can appreciate what they did while here. 

can't get to a SB w/o getting to the playoffs first, w/o getting to title games.  1968 isn't happening again where we sit back and watch the 2 top teams in the league play an extra game then get to host them in a win and in game for the SB.  No one is saying build a statue for those guys but we can appreciate what they did while here. 

While we certainly can appreciate the good they did, we can equally dislike the bad that they did, and judge for ourselves whether the bad outweighed the good.

While we certainly can appreciate the good they did, we can equally dislike the bad that they did, and judge for ourselves whether the bad outweighed the good.

I have issues w/ things they did, they were far from perfect but the good certainly outweighed the bad for me.  I have been following this team since the early 80s.  1981-2000(20 seasons) we made 6 postseasons, 2 title games, won 4 playoff games, 1 div title.  from 2001-2005/2009-2014(11 seasons) we made 5 postseasons, 2 title games, won 6 playoff games and 1 div title.

we were 8-3 at the time and I was excited but then we tanked.  Favre supposedly got hurt in October, I just don't buy the injury excuse.  late in his career he hated cold weather and he never wanted to be here so once it got cold his game went south.  realistically he was good for about a 3-4 game stretch in Nov and the Ari game, the rest of the year he was struggling.  most of the year he was throwing balls up for grabs and hoping, it worked earlier, it didn't work late.

Of course we tanked and Favre's play steadily declined.  I agree his record in bad weather was bad late in his career.  However, I seriously doubt that he tanked simply because it was cold and he didn't feel like playing.  He obviously had surgery on the arm prior to Minnesota, so there was something there.  As far as throwing up balls for grabs and hoping working early...to who?  Cotchery, Coles, Keller and Stuckey?  Most of those early season TD's were on crossing routes or play action throws over the top to open receivers, not jump balls.  I went to every game that year and do not remember one jump ball TD.  The only improbable catch I recall was Cotchery's in NE after he had been interfered with and still made a miraculous 50 yard reception and Favre followed that up with a beautiful read and throw on a slant to Cotchery for a TD.  The bottom line is that at 8-3 and off of a win in NE and a win in TEN, no one on this earth had the opinion "you know, it doesn't matter, we are never going anywhere with this team".   To look back and say we were never going anywhere is just not honest.

Edwards had gone through some NFL minority coaches program, Marv Lewis had not. So we took a middling DB coach over the DC of the eventual Super Bowl winner a week before the Super Bowl. And also over John Fox, who was DC of the NFC champs. Either were more accomplished before and since than play to win the game guy, who's career has been mostly a disaster. Tagliabue took Johnson's bid over a higher bid by the Dolan gang. Do the math.

I'm not saying I love any of these Jet HCs, just saying they weren't bad picks at the time.  

Who wants Marv Lewis?  Theres nothing he's done over the years that makes me feel like I missed out on anything.  Took him years to make the playoffs and still is looking for his first playoff win.  His teams find new ways to lose all the time, this year being the crowning moment.  But back to the point, you can say Fox would have been a better pick but it wasnt necessarily so in 2001.  Did they work out no.  Were they sound picks.  Thats it

Of course we tanked and Favre's play steadily declined.  I agree his record in bad weather was bad late in his career.  However, I seriously doubt that he tanked simply because it was cold and he didn't feel like playing.  He obviously had surgery on the arm prior to Minnesota, so there was something there.  As far as throwing up balls for grabs and hoping working early...to who?  Cotchery, Coles, Keller and Stuckey?  Most of those early season TD's were on crossing routes or play action throws over the top to open receivers, not jump balls.  I went to every game that year and do not remember one jump ball TD.  The only improbable catch I recall was Cotchery's in NE after he had been interfered with and still made a miraculous 50 yard reception and Favre followed that up with a beautiful read and throw on a slant to Cotchery for a TD.  The bottom line is that at 8-3 and off of a win in NE and a win in TEN, no one on this earth had the opinion "you know, it doesn't matter, we are never going anywhere with this team".   To look back and say we were never going anywhere is just not honest.

there were a ton of balls he threw up for grabs, I am not just talking about on TDs.

I didn't say we weren't going anywhere, that season was giftwrapped for us.  we could have won a SB that year but Favre sabotaged our season. I just can't give an injury excuse to the iron man.  if he wasn't able to play physically he needed to take a seat.  he played, he's evaluated on how he played and he stunk.  he threw away our season.

I have issues w/ things they did, they were far from perfect but the good certainly outweighed the bad for me.  I have been following this team since the early 80s.  1981-2000(20 seasons) we made 6 postseasons, 2 title games, won 4 playoff games, 1 div title.  from 2001-2005/2009-2014(11 seasons) we made 5 postseasons, 2 title games, won 6 playoff games and 1 div title.

Thats cool, your entitled to your opinion, even if I disagree.

It's amazing how no one thinks Mangini is a good coach except a small minority of jets fans

and Tx who thinks anyone with any association Brady is wonderful

Thinking Mangini is better than Rex does not mean you think Mangini is a good coach. They are both bad coaches, Mangini is just less bad than Rex.

The same number Rex did once he let Mangini's roster fall apart trying to rebuild the 85 Bears defense, which he never even came close to doing.

so just to be clear:

Mangini wins zero playoff games w/ "Mangini's roster", rex comes in and wins most PO games in franchise history and has most title game apps in franchise history but that's not good enough to be considered better than Mangini? 

also, if Mangini is this personnel guru then why hasn't any team hired him to work in their front office?

is that why Rex had a top 5 D in 2009 with mostly the same roster your boy had in 2008?   Mangini is an extremely conservative defensive play caller, players hate him and his track record isn't bad it's horrible.

Herm was an awful and unqualified hire at the time. A DB coach from a team that plays Cover-Two? Jesus. 

so just to be clear:

Mangini wins zero playoff games w/ "Mangini's roster", rex comes in and wins most PO games in franchise history and has most title game apps in franchise history but that's not good enough to be considered better than Mangini? 

also, if Mangini is this personnel guru then why hasn't any team hired him to work in their front office?

Parcells built the team that floated Herm, who subsequently drove it into the earth, then Mangini built the team that Rex eventually drove into the ground. That's what happened. When you're saying that Herm and Rex were better coaches because they won a few early playoff games, you're completely minimizing the role of the head coach in the NFL. There are a lot of coaches out there that can take a relatively ready-made team and take them on a run for a short stretch, but those situations are rare. The franchise-building coach who can lead over a four, five+ year stretch is the one you want. If the future of the program isn't a consideration, then you could just get Barry Switzer to rah-rah your club to a playoff appearance for a year. 

so just to be clear:

We have had this discussion already, I don't really want to rehash it with you. I am just clearing up the doctors story a bit, that boy is confused.

Parcells built the team that floated Herm, who subsequently drove it into the earth, then Mangini built the team that Rex eventually drove into the ground. That's what happened. When you're saying that Herm and Rex were better coaches because they won a few early playoff games, you're completely minimizing the role of the head coach in the NFL. There are a lot of coaches out there that can take a relatively ready-made team and take them on a run for a short stretch, but those situations are rare. The franchise-building coach who can lead over a four, five+ year stretch is the one you want. If the future of the program isn't a consideration, then you could just get Barry Switzer to rah-rah your club to a playoff appearance for a year. 

masterful

stop.  year 1 they had many BP leftovers and made the playoffs which BP and Groh couldn't do 2 previous years.  year 2 they re-tooled and many were gone, the 3rd postseason trip was basically a whole new team.

Do Kotite and Steinberg get credit for BP winning in 1998 since they built most of that roster?

Herm was an awful and unqualified hire at the time. A DB coach from a team that plays Cover-Two? Jesus. 

how does an awful an unqualified coach take a team to 3 postseasons in 4 years, win only 2nd AFC East title in franchise history, wins ONLY non Brady div title w/ a team that when he took over missed 2 straight postseasons, the cap was in shambles, the drafting was poor, had made 1 postseason in previous 9 years and 2 in previous 14 years?

Edwards' sundry  signs of genius-going 4-3  Cover Who when taking over  3-4/man DB personnel  team, Damien Robinson and his AK47 goading Kyle Turley into a penalty that really got a playoff berth, chaining pinpoint Pennington to the bench while using big arm Vinny in a WCO offense, crowing about "how we did it in Tampa" like he and Dungy had a trophy case collapsing under the weight of numerous imaginary Lombardis. Could go on all day. 

We can knock any number of coaches for a whole host of reasons.  Edwards was far and away the worst and it is not freaking close. Would love to have been a fly on the wall when KC offered to take him off our hands for a draft pick so he could run Larry Johnson into the ground. YOU'RE GONNA GIVE US A 3RD ROUNDER? <stifle incredulous  laughter here> WE HAVE A DEAL!

Edwards' sundry  signs of genius-going 4-3  Cover Who when taking over  3-4/man DB personnel  team, Damien Robinson and his AK47 goading Kyle Turley into a penalty that really got a playoff berth, chaining pinpoint Pennington to the bench while using big arm Vinny in a WCO offense, crowing about "how we did it in Tampa" like he and Dungy had a trophy case collapsing under the weight of numerous imaginary Lombardis. Could go on all day. 

We can knock any number of coaches for a whole host of reasons.  Edwards was far and away the worst and it is not freaking close. Would love to have been a fly on the wall when KC offered to take him off our hands for a draft pick so he could run Larry Johnson into the ground. YOU'RE GONNA GIVE US A 3RD ROUNDER? <stifle incredulous  laughter here> WE HAVE A DEAL!

every coach has a system and they change if the previous regime isn't running something similar.

Jet fans are the worst.  a guy who made 3 postseasons in 4 years w/ 3 completely different teams and won only our 2nd EVER AFC East title was awful.  Only Jet fans.

So, what you are saying is that Parcells saved the franchise by drafting... Chad Pennington? 

FWIW, I kind of agree with the first, but totally do not agree with the 2nd.  I give Mangini way less credit for the drafts than some, but what did Rex use that Mangini put together?  Jenkins  and Woody were obvious Tannenbaum moves and Jenkins was barely around.  Revis and Harris sure, but he doesn't exactly get a gold star for Brick and Mangold.  Those were fairly obvious choices. What were the other key pieces?  Rex won with Faneca and Slauson.  Jones?  Did just as well with Tomlinson.  He won with Kerry Rhodes and Brodney Poole  Keller?  Whoop-de-damn-doo!  I can agree about Rex not being a franchise building coach that will lead you over a long stretch without agreeing that Mangini built that team.  sh*t he traded the Sanchez pick for half the remaining starters and another for Edwards.

al Groh drafted Chad Pennington

Contrary to what is said around here, coaches don't generally run the draft. Al Groh never drafted a thing.  Parcells was the GM and calling the shots. 

New York Jets drafted big in 2000 when they picked Shaun Ellis, Chad Pennington and two others

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Saturday, April 10, 2010, 7:15 PMThe Jets made history in 2000 with four first-round draft picks, TE Anthony Becht, QB Chad Pennington and DEs John Abraham and Shaun Ellis.Farrell/News
  • The Jets made history in 2000 with four first-round draft picks, TE Anthony Becht, QB Chad Pennington and DEs John Abraham and Shaun Ellis.

Mike Tannenbaum was a front-office neophyte at the time, Bill Parcells' salary-cap guru, which allowed him to ride shotgun for a history-making draft. Ten years later, the memories remain so vivid:

He remembers listening to Parcells negotiate a trade with 49ers president Bill Walsh, two football legends doing business over the phone. Watching in awe as Parcells challenged a team official in the war room, resulting in a fiery response by the official that left the room in stunned silence. Thinking to himself, after a long day, the Jets had just altered the direction of the franchise.

They did.

On April 15, 2000, the Jets made four first-round picks, unprecedented in the 74-year history of the NFL draft. They selected Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington and Anthony Becht, setting a foundation for the most successful decade in franchise history - five playoff appearances.

Parcells, who left the Jets' sideline to become the team's top football executive for Al (One-and-Done) Groh, was gone a year later, but his handiwork still affects the team. Ellis is the sole survivor, but they traded Abraham in 2006 for a first-round pick, which became Nick Mangold, an All-Pro center.

"It really was a remarkable draft," Tannenbaum said, reflecting on that wonder year. "It's still paying dividends."

As Pennington told the Daily News, "It was rare and unique and historical."

There isn't a future Hall of Famer in the group, but it includes a pair of defensive ends with multiple Pro Bowls (Ellis and Abraham), the most accurate passer in league history (Pennington) and a tight end (Becht) who has missed only 10 games in 10 years. They also scored with the fifth pick, wide receiver Laveranues Coles, who slipped to the third round because of off-the-field concerns.

All five remain active in the league, unusual longevity in a sport that spits out busts and injury-plagued players on a regular basis. It's not easy to hit on one first-round pick, let alone four. They belong to an ever-dwindling group. Of the 32 first-round picks that year, only 11 still play.

"I don't think you'll see that again," said former Cowboys executive and current NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt, referring to one team using four first-round picks in a single draft. "It's pretty hard to fit that in your rookie salary cap."

The 2000 draft came at a time when the franchise was in turmoil. Parcells had quit coaching, and Bill Belichick, his heir apparent, had quit the Jets. The team was a punch line. To make it worse, star receiver Keyshawn Johnson wanted out. Parcells managed to extract a first-round pick from the Patriots, who hired Belichick, and he accumulated two more by trading Johnson to the Bucs.

"It was a confluence of events," Tannenbaum said. "Everything fell into place."

Many figured Parcells would trade one or two picks to save money, but he never gave it serious consideration. On the eve of the draft, he called Walsh and made a deal to move up four spots, to 12th, with the Belichick pick. The motivation: Get Ellis. That, in Parcells' mind, was the key to rebuilding the defense.

With the 13th pick, acquired in the Johnson trade, Parcells picked Abraham after considering linebacker Julian Peterson, who also went on to a successful career. Then, with the 18th pick, came an "unexpected surprise," as Tannenbaum called it.

Much to the Jets' amazement, Pennington was still on the board. Even though they had Vinny Testaverde and Ray Lucas, the Jets felt Pennington was too good to pass up.

"Totally shocked me," said Pennington, who hadn't drawn much interest from the Jets.

Minutes after the pick, they got a call from the Steelers, who wanted to trade for Pennington. Imagine if the Jets had agreed; the decade might have turned out a lot differently.

Things got tense in the war room as the round progressed. The Coles discussion began, with Parcells asking team security director Steve Yarnell if Coles was a character risk. Parcells had dispatched Yarnell to Coles' hometown of Jacksonville to conduct a background check, and now the Big Tuna wanted answers. Yarnell, a former FBI agent and a man of few words, delivered a passionate endorsement of Coles.

"Bill challenged him in front of the room, and I remember Steve's voice rising," Tannenbaum said. "He said, 'This is our ---ing guy. I guarantee Laveranues will be a good pro. Hold me accountable if he isn't.' Very rarely does anybody speak like that in the draft room. There was silence."

The Jets decided to take Becht with the 27th pick, another fruit from the Johnson deal, but Yarnell had made his point on Coles, whom they had graded as a first-round talent. Without a second-round pick, they had to wait until the third before grabbing him, an interminable wait.

In 24 hours, from the Walsh negotiation to the controversial Coles pick, Parcells had changed the face of the team. Some say he did it to preserve his own legacy, others believe he did it to give Groh the best chance to succeed. Privately, Parcells told friends he thought the draft would be remembered as an all-timer. In perhaps the biggest upset, the Jets managed to get all four No. 1s signed on time.

The Fab Four made the playoffs twice together, in 2002 and 2004, with Pennington and Ellis contributing to another playoff season in 2006. Only Ellis remained for last season's magical run. As a group, the Class of 2000 failed to produce a championship, but Pennington believes that shouldn't be the only gauge.

"Free agency can kill the legacy part of it," Pennington said, "but that draft allowed the Jets to have many successful years in the first decade of the 21st century."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/new-york-jets-drafted-big-2000-picked-shaun-ellis-chad-pennington-article-1.163924

FWIW, I heard they actually traded up to get Burress 

that is a 10 years later article where BP wants credit for guys that panned out(though we didn't get enough bang for 4 1st rounders). 

article from 2000 when groh was hired:  http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/25/sports/pro-football-parcells-hands-the-coaching-reins-over-to-groh.html

''I'm going to act in a support role,'' Parcells said, ''and basically going to try to be a consultant to Al and a supporter and an adviser, and will do that until such time as Woody and I get a chance to revisit my status much later on.''

In the meantime, the 58-year-old Parcells said he was ceding the powers of personnel selection to Groh, who has never been a head coach in the National Football League. Parcells said that Groh, 55, who received a four-year contract worth $800,000 annually, will have the last word on trades, the draft and free-agent acquisitions.

In so doing, Parcells is assigning to Groh powers that Parcells never enjoyed with the Giants -- his first head coaching job -- or the Patriots, whom he left after control of personnel matters became a contentious issue with the owner, Robert K. Kraft.

''I think all of you know that I have a very strong belief in that a coach must be allowed to shape and form his team the way he wants to,'' Parcells said. ''I've been an advocate of that. I think it's important. I think he has enough experience coaching and has seen enough programs in operation to do that.''

Archived