A Decade Later; How does Mangini sit with you?

Paradis

there were a ton of balls he threw up for grabs, I am not just talking about on TDs.

I didn't say we weren't going anywhere, that season was giftwrapped for us.  we could have won a SB that year but Favre sabotaged our season. I just can't give an injury excuse to the iron man.  if he wasn't able to play physically he needed to take a seat.  he played, he's evaluated on how he played and he stunk.  he threw away our season.

Okay and I don't entirely disagree.  The post I initially responded to was one where you indicated "we were never going anywhere that season" and your prior post you said Favre threw balls up for grabs and it worked early in the season and didn't work late.  My two points of issue are 1) At 8-3 we were certainly going somewhere so it was not a foregone conclusion we would tank and 2) There were no if any jump ball TD's that year so it was not all about throwing balls up for grabs....certainly he threw many incomplete passes where he would muscle up and try to throw it out of the stadium, but it was not a matter of having success early with that and not having it late. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay and I don't entirely disagree.  The post I initially responded to was one where you indicated "we were never going anywhere that season" and your prior post you said Favre threw balls up for grabs and it worked early in the season and didn't work late.  My two points of issue are 1) At 8-3 we were certainly going somewhere so it was not a foregone conclusion we would tank and 2) There were no if any jump ball TD's that year so it was not all about throwing balls up for grabs....certainly he threw many incomplete passes where he would muscle up and try to throw it out of the stadium, but it was not a matter of having success early with that and not having it late. 

I don't think I said we were never going anywhere that season, if I did I mistyped it.  the AFC that year, like this one, was wide open.

• 1 month later...

I'm kind of surprised the Fins haven't offered him a front office position. He was an advisor to their owner and supposedly has a good relationship with him. And of course he worked with Tanny who knows he has good knowledge and judgment in evaluating personnel. 

On 1/18/2016 at 4:02 PM, jetscrazey said:

Mangini is a smart guy but not capable of being an NFL head coach because of 1) his poor people skills and 2) his inability to relate to the players.  You can't win treating your players like high schoolers.

Pete Kendall was a perfect example of that had him with the rookies in camp and fought over a million or so that was promised to him.. When Favre was hurt the right thing to do would have been to put in Clemens his 2006 choice who he never developed.. Or can that be said just about Rex??:)

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm kind of surprised the Fins haven't offered him a front office position. He was an advisor to their owner and supposedly has a good relationship with him. And of course he worked with Tanny who knows he has good knowledge and judgment in evaluating personnel. 

I'm a little surprised, too, being that they're on a roll with terrible hires. 

I thought Mangini would grow into the job despite six years of evidence to the contrary and repeated displays certifying that his attention-seeking buffoonery was not simply an act, but the bedrock institution of his psyche. To this day, I do a little fist pump when his team beats my own because it helps validate my posting history, even as I attempt to qualify it through the lens of revisionist history. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought Mangini would grow into the job despite six years of evidence to the contrary and repeated displays certifying that his attention-seeking buffoonery was not simply an act, but the bedrock institution of his psyche. To this day, I do a little fist pump when his team beats my own because it helps validate my posting history, even as I attempt to qualify it through the lens of revisionist history. 

Pettine seems to have these issues too.

23 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Once a poster names himself after a coach or a player I don't expect a fair evaluation of his opinions concerning either..:rolleyes:

We have been through this before.... It was a play on Bowel movement, I was not a fan of the hire. I am neither high nor low on him at this point, but not sure what the FK this has to do with Rex or Mangini. Again, when is Rex's parade for winning his SB?

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

We have been through this before.... It was a play on Bowel movement, I was not a fan of the hire. I am neither high nor low on him at this point, but not sure what the FK this has to do with Rex or Mangini. Again, when is Rex's parade for winning his SB?

Right after Mangini gets another Head coaching job and wins a playoff game.. 

On January 20, 2016 at 2:07 PM, #27TheDominator said:

So, what you are saying is that Parcells saved the franchise by drafting... Chad Pennington? 

FWIW, I kind of agree with the first, but totally do not agree with the 2nd.  I give Mangini way less credit for the drafts than some, but what did Rex use that Mangini put together?  Jenkins  and Woody were obvious Tannenbaum moves and Jenkins was barely around.  Revis and Harris sure, but he doesn't exactly get a gold star for Brick and Mangold.  Those were fairly obvious choices. What were the other key pieces?  Rex won with Faneca and Slauson.  Jones?  Did just as well with Tomlinson.  He won with Kerry Rhodes and Brodney Poole  Keller?  Whoop-de-damn-doo!  I can agree about Rex not being a franchise building coach that will lead you over a long stretch without agreeing that Mangini built that team.  sh*t he traded the Sanchez pick for half the remaining starters and another for Edwards.

I just saw this horrific slander. Tell me more about these "obvious choices," pal.

Mangini should be running a scouting department.  

Herm is doing what he should be doing now, TV and working with the league mentoring rookies.

Parcells is the polar opposite of Mangini.  He should of stuck to coaching, no business on the personnel side.

Rex is Rex.  Come out one week against an elite opponent, play well, then the next week come out hung over.  

I just wish we had an owner that could demand enough respect to get a "REAL" head coach in here. Every guy he has hired has been a first timer with no record

2000 Al Groh-no HC experience went 9-7 and in 3rd place

2001-2005 Herman Edwards no HC experience and in his 5 years here went 39-412-3 in the playoffs

2006-2009-Eric Mangini no HC experience and in his 3 years here went 23-25 0-1 in the playoffs

2010-2015 Rex Ryan no HC experience and in his 6 years here went 46-50 and 4-2 in the playoffs

why is it that no name coaches will work for this guy-starting with an abbreviated napkin resignation after ONE DAY on the job ? 

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Rex Ryan is only the 4th HC since 1970 to go 5 straight years without making the playoffs.

Thankfully, he had Mangini's team in '09 and '10 or it would be 7 straight years.

And even with Chad and Favre Mangini couldn't win a playoff game..:) Plus what you posted is not true hell BB only had 1 winning record in his first 6 years.. Marvin Lewis has yet to win a playoff game in 13 years..

I just wish we had an owner that could demand enough respect to get a "REAL" head coach in here. Every guy he has hired has been a first timer with no record

2001-2005 Herman Edwards no HC experience and in his 5 years here went 39-412-3 in the playoffs

2006-2009-Eric Mangini no HC experience and in his 3 years here went 23-25 0-1 in the playoffs

2010-2015 Rex Ryan no HC experience and in his 6 years here went 46-50 and 4-2 in the playoffs

why is it that no name coaches will work for this guy-starting with an abbreviated napkin resignation after ONE DAY on the job ? 

BB is undefeated as HC of the NYJ's.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

BB is undefeated as HC of the NYJ's.

You see what Ty Law said about The Genius last Week Mike? He said that had it not been for foolish personnel moves New England might have won another couple of titles. You have to admit leaving his QB with garbage to throw to for a few of those seasons had football fans everywhere scratching their heads

You see what Ty Law said about The Genius last Week Mike? He said that had it not been for foolish personnel moves New England might have won another couple of titles. You have to admit leaving his QB with garbage to throw to for a few of those seasons had football fans everywhere scratching their heads

That's my only peeve with BB Jimmy.

Brady has only had one (Moss) legitimate wide receiver his entire career.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

That's my only peeve with BB Jimmy.

Brady has only had one (Moss) legitimate wide receiver his entire career.

He had Troy Brown catch 101 balls for him in 2001, 97 more in '02, Deon Branch and David Givens were pretty good ones too but after he let Branch go, that's when we all started wondering WTF is he doing Moss and Wes Welker, Seriously? Then Gronk's been a nice addition over the past 6 seasons averaging 63 catches a year and he's missed 23 games so far

54 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Rex Ryan is only the 4th HC since 1970 to go 5 straight years without making the playoffs.

Thankfully, he had Mangini's team in '09 and '10 or it would be 7 straight years.

Wow

I didn't know that!!

That is a daming statistic...

Curse you TX!!!☺️

19 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

when he came in he did do all he could to try to get BP back.

and all of those coaches have had success outside of Groh.  

19 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

BB was 5 of 6 until he got Brady and then became the greatest coach of all time.

that # is a little misleading b/c most don't get an opportunity right away if they have had 3-4 non playoff seasons in a row but plenty of had 5 straight non playoff seasons just not consecutive.

By the way, hall of famer Marv Levy had 5 straight non playoff seasons in KC then added 2 more a few years later in Buffalo.

Bart Starr once had 7 straight in GB

The current SB champ HC had 5 straight in Houston

Jim Haslett 5 in NO

that's 5 already so clearly that nugget of info is incorrect.

Bum Phillips also did it in NO

Jack Patera had 6 in Sea

Jeff Fisher in Hou/Ten

Norv Turner in washington had 5

this was looking it up in 5 minutes, I am sure there are more.  Please try to post semi-accurate info.

On 1/18/2016 at 3:51 PM, nyjunc said:

watching him all year he didn't look much different in December than he did in September.  he had one nice stretch of games in November then it fell apart, I think the injury is an excuse but we can disagree:D

Totally agree.  Favre didn't want to learn a new playbook on short notice.  By midseason opposing defensive coordinators had seen our entire offensive repertoire and schemed for it.  That was that.

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still think Mangini can be a good HC in the NFL.  He probably got a job at too  young of an age though.  I don't think we've heard the last of him though.

Mangini is done he's failed horribly at too many jobs.  Schotty too

On March 20, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Savage69 said:

Don't fall for Tex facts CB.. OK lets play BB has just 1 winning season in 6 years as a HC without Brady..

Belichick would have had Al Groh's coaching career without Brady.

Patriot Way: luck into drafting the greatest qb ever at 199

Archived