Bills cut Mario Williams

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640441/article/mario-williams-released-by-bills-after-four-seasons

Mario Williams released by Bills after four seasons

Mario Williams' time in Buffalo has ended.

The Bills announced on Tuesday that they have released the linebacker.

The move was expected after a down season in which Williams repeatedly attacked coach Rex Ryan's defense, openly questioning his role.

Williams was set to count $19.9 million on the Bills' salary cap. Jettisoning the 31-year-old will save Buffalo $12.9 million, with $7 million in dead money. He signed a six-year, $96 million contract in 2012.

The move frees up cap room for offensive tackle Cordy Glenn, who the Bills slapped with the franchise tag Tuesday.

Williams will now be one of the most interesting free agents to hit the market. Teams will have to discern whether 2015 was an aberration or an indicator of a 31-year-old on the decline.

The pass rusher will land in the top five of Around The NFL's Top 99 Free Agents list.

Williams compiled three straight seasons with 10.5-plus sacks in his first three seasons in Buffalo. He excelled as both a 3-4 rush linebacker and a 4-3 defensive end during that span. Yet, last season he struggled, earning just five sacks in 909 snaps.

Could Williams have a Julius Peppers-like late-career resurgence? Or is he a big name who will get overpaid on the open market by a team in desperate need of a pass rusher?

We tend to believe last season was a product of a poor fit in Ryan's scheme. Put in the right situation, Williams should be back tackling quarterbacks for the next several years.

Running back Anthony Dixon also announced via Twitter on Tuesday that his time in Buffalo is finished.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he's been an overrated player for many years, he's a good player on bad teams.  only cares about his stats.  Marshall was the same way though so there's hope but he needs to buy in like Marshall did and he can be a key guy for some team but I'd never give that guy a big contract.  

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Poor Rex, just never gets given any talented players to work with ... 

Boy lemme tell ya, Mario just didn't have what it takes. He's only one of the biggest, best, and most productive athletes in the game, but I can still go after his character and work ethic based on stuff and things.

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Boy lemme tell ya, Mario just didn't have what it takes. He's only one of the biggest, best, and most productive athletes in the game, but I can still go after his character and work ethic based on stuff and things.

talent? he's as talented as anyone who has played the game but there's so much more to it than just talent.  

15 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

No doubt about it Rex, and Williams lacks "it."

Rex did a bad job with that D last year, that cannot be argued but one of the things he did poorly was rely on the talent already there.  This is a good move for Buffalo despite letting a talented guy go.

30 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Rex did a bad job with that D last year, that cannot be argued but one of the things he did poorly was rely on the talent already there.  This is a good move for Buffalo despite letting a talented guy go.

The talent that was already there comprised one of the best defenses in the league prior to Rex's arrival.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The talent that was already there comprised one of the best defenses in the league prior to Rex's arrival.

they were great in meaningless games.  shutting down the Geno/Vick Jets is damn impressive.

Just now, Dcat said:

not a good way to get younger.  Plus, he is a mere shadow of what he once was.  Waste of money.

We tried with much worse Taylor and Maybin and that guy last year who lasted 1 game and cant forget the Canadian or Arena football player just signed,anything is possible with the Jets,

Just now, joewilly12 said:

We tried with much worse Taylor and Maybin and that guy last year who lasted 1 game and cant forget the Canadian or Arena football player just signed,anything is possible with the Jets,

Taylor was a low cost deal and he did nothing for us, Maybin was a young, cheap player w/ no risk.  Williams will get a good deal and unless a team is in great cap shape and ready to contend this year it would be foolish to sign him to a large deal. 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Taylor was a low cost deal and he did nothing for us, Maybin was a young, cheap player w/ no risk.  Williams will get a good deal and unless a team is in great cap shape and ready to contend this year it would be foolish to sign him to a large deal. 

Dallas.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Dallas let Ware walk Denver signed him and he played exceptionally well they actually won a Super Bowl i see this as the same scenario.

signsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsignsign

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dallas let Ware walk Denver signed him and he played exceptionally well they actually won a Super Bowl i see this as the same scenario.

I don't recall effort questions w/ Ware though.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No I see the Williams situation similar to Ware many said he was washed up hell the Jets paid Pace more than Denver paid Ware 

I don't think Williams is washed up, for me it's about his attitude that can be poisonous in a locker room.  I thought the same of Marshall and hew as great but he'd have to buy in like Marshall. does he want to win or just collect meaningless sacks?

Just now, nyjunc said:

I don't think Williams is washed up, for me it's about his attitude that can be poisonous in a locker room.  I thought the same of Marshall and hew as great but he'd have to buy in like Marshall. does he want to win or just collect meaningless sacks?

Agree and Mario here would fuel the fire between Jets -Bills.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree and Mario here would fuel the fire between Jets -Bills.

for us at the right price he might be motivated for a year to stick it to rex and the Bills but w/ so many teams having a ton of cap room I don't think his price would be low enough for us to consider.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

for us at the right price he might be motivated for a year to stick it to rex and the Bills but w/ so many teams having a ton of cap room I don't think his price would be low enough for us to consider.

Probably we seem to be in cap hell with a lot of glaring needs,time for major restructuring to happen, 

Archived