Why you don't overpay for a Nose Tackle

Jetsfan80

This article just about sums up the marketplace for NT's these days.  In short, guys with such fun nicknames as "Snacks" and "Pot Roast" matter to some teams, but not a whole lot.  Even if they're ranked one of the best at the position, like this guy:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640661/article/knighton-i-dont-get-why-im-bouncing-around

Knighton: I don't get why I'm bouncing around

Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton opted for a one-year "prove-it" deal with the Redskins in free agency this past season following a disappointing emergence on the open market. After solidifying himself as a top nose tackle with the Broncos, he expected to come back to Denver with deeper pockets.

"I'm not really understanding why a guy like me, and what I bring to a team and what I bring to the field, is bouncing around like this," Knighton said Tuesday on Sirius XM. "But it'll catch up with itself."

Knighton said that he hasn't had any discussions with Washington during the exclusive negotiation period. He felt he came on toward the end of the 2015 season after adjusting to a very different responsibility in defensive coordinator Joe Barry's attacking 3-4 system. Knighton sees himself as a more traditional two-gap clogger.

"I haven't gotten any hint that they want me back or anything," he said. "To me personally. I haven't heard anything. And like I said, that's one thing I'm not going to stress about. Last time around I was hoping that something could get done with Denver and I was praying on that, I was talking it up all the time whenever I talked to the media because I felt in my heart that's where I was going to be. My emotions got caught into it. This time around, I understand it's a business."

A business that is also leading him to believe that the Redskins might be looking for a different kind of nose tackle.

"Maybe that's where the disconnect is right now as far as bringing me back," he said.

Knighton represents the downside to being a great, traditional 3-4 nose tackle. Because many are only on the field for one or two downs, they often get left out in terms of lucrative, multi-year deals. Knighton was very effective against the run, but played almost 200 fewer snaps in 2015 (345) than he did in Denver the year before.

The good news, though, is that Knighton's position is never not a necessity for certain teams. If the Jets lose Damon Harrison, for example, he's right back at the top of the market for his position.

i have a football argument to make guys(!):

This is so stupid! You are stupid for thinking this! Harrison is an elite run stuffer, he earned coming off the field half the time! God, this is so stupid and you are so stupid! 

/endfootballargument

Take THAT!

55 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

i have a football argument to make guys(!):

This is so stupid! You are stupid for thinking this! Harrison is an elite run stuffer, he earned coming off the field half the time! God, this is so stupid and you are so stupid! 

/endfootballargument

Take THAT!

Companion gif for this post:

IZKhfL7.gif

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What a strange person.

4 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I always wondered how you get to 23,000 posts, now I know.

Just about every thread just becomes unreadable that this guy post in. I just end up reading twitter/other boards. 

internet-troll-by-woody-hearn.jpg

19 hours ago, jetsjets said:

I wonder if Mo can play NT

He can and has effectively in the past.  On obvious rushing downs, it's not the worst idea to just move him inside to fill that role.

When smart people state that he can play every position on the D-Line effectively, they actually mean he can play every position on the DL effectively.  It enhances his value to the team immensely. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He can and has effectively in the past.  On obvious rushing downs, it's not the worst idea to just move him inside to fill that role.

When smart people state that he can play every position on the D-Line effectively, they actually mean he can play every position on the DL effectively.  It enhances his value to the team immensely. 

I have a football argument for this:

Bro, you're being pretty gay here. I think it's obvious you just have a crush on Wilkerson. Harrison is an elite run stuffer at the NT and earned a whole in-season vacation with his eliteness at run stuffing. You're telling me that's not move valuable? God you are stupid and this is stupid and you are gay. Quit trolling, gaywad stupidface!

//endfootballargument

Looks like you just got torn a new one. Hammering you down with fax and sighence, brah. 

Honestly guys, I think they should resign him and sit him until playoffs. If he's rested enough you gotta figure he'd play like....60% of the snaps during the playoffs. That'd be pretty good, and we'd have the best run stuffer of anyone in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Honestly guys, I think they should resign him and sit him until playoffs. If he's rested enough you gotta figure he'd play like....60% of the snaps during the playoffs. That'd be pretty good, and we'd have the best stuffer of anyone in the playoffs.

Worked last year with Peyton.

Does this guy think that if he keeps bringing up Dwayne Robertson that he will become a thing?

Wilkerson's definitely taken snaps at NT, has since he was a rookie. It's usually against pass priented teams or on passing downs.   It's been mostly positive. This is from 2013:

wilkersonnose.gif

That said, Harrison is still better at the nose and the Jets' best run stuffer. Teams don't just let those guys go except in the cases of schlubs like Haloti Ngata, Vince Wilfork, Terrence Knighton, Paul Solai, Brandon Mebane, Athyba Rubin, BJ Raji, and whoever else was or will be available over the past two offseasons. 

Archived