Bleacher report says jets don't want to pay fitz starter money

Persiussa

Looking around the league I do feel the Jets have the upper hand with Fitz.  I'm confident we secure him for 2 more years at 10mil per or less, possibly 8 or 9 but close to fully gtd.  For any Geno supporters out there, if this sh*t isn't made up he obviously isn't the answer when teammates don't even consider him competition.  Hope macc sticks to the plan and keeps drafting a QB every year until they find what they are looking for.

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I do. They see what a lot of fans miss or ignore, like the way he never pretty much never surveys the field. His progressions go: (1) WR target 1 (2) RB (3) run. Which is why on 3rd & very short, if there's a play call to go deep if he can catch the D off-guard defending the underneath stuff, he throws it even if the receiver is covered. He just doesn't see the field, and a guy with his intelligence and experience, in a familiar offense, should be far better at that by now. With Fitz, investing in more targets is almost pointless; at best all it does is make it more difficult for the D to double up on Marshall or Decker. But from the time the ball is snapped, the primary target is the only target out of the backfield. 

He's tough, he's a good guy, a good and likable team leader, and that has more weight than just what he does (or doesn't do) on the field. He's worth bringing back at $8M (or less) because with the cap as high as it is and with how easily a starter can get injured, $8M isn't out of line for a guy you want to be the backup, but with whom the season's not over if he has to come in and mop up for a month or two. And they certainly don't want to go into mid-March - let alone the draft - with just Geno and Petty on the roster, forcing our hand in the draft for need today, which is how you end up drafting bust QBs. But more than $8M (or significantly more than that) creates pressure to start him based on compensation, and it's just too much to allot for him. He's just too limited. At $3.5M he was an incredible bargain. At "going starter money rate" ($15M plus) he's removing $7-10 million that the team needs to spend elsewhere to overcome the QB's limitations.

Unless the Broncos' 2015 defense magically manifests itself in green and white, the best option - really the only option - to get where we want is to find someone else better to QB the team. Fitz is a good temporary/bridge QB to have - a very good one to have - until that next QB presents himself (if Petty eventually develops into one, or it's a new one the team drafts or acquires through other means), but the team can't be financially tied to Fitzpatrick for a minute longer than absolutely necessary. 

you don't pay Fitz 8 mil per year to be a backup in 2016.

if you are paying him 8 or 10 or 12 it will be to be the 2016 starter ... Perhaps with some wheeling dealing to lessen the 2017 guarantee if he becomes backup that year there could be some incentive based pay so it winds up fair for both sides depending on if he's the starter or backup in the future 

37 minutes ago, ljr said:

if you are paying him 8 or 10 or 12 it will be to be the 2016 starter ... Perhaps with some wheeling dealing to lessen the 2017 guarantee if he becomes backup that year there could be some incentive based pay so it winds up fair for both sides depending on if he's the starter or backup in the future 

That's the thing, I don't think it's going to be that cheap to sign him given what a few other scrub QBs will make next yr.

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

It's called knowing what you are doing.  

Only the most delusional of Jets fans think that Fitz is the "answer".  

The plain truth is it would be great to have Fitz back at a reasonable amount but let's not act like he was Johnny Unitas last year.  

If Denver or some other team thinks Fitz is worth 13 million dollars so be it but the Jets don't have to act like some teenager with a band crush cause a team or two might act insane.  

Fitz wasn't even slated to be the starter on the Jets last year and let's see how he does absent Chan designing plays for him to shine with. 

He wins anything here in the metropolitan area, even a playoff game and the dude is set for his post playing days as well.  

So let's see how this plays out. 

There are some who believe he's worth 12+ per.  Two to three year deal.

And have a whole list of names to call you if you disagree.  

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

That's the thing, I don't think it's going to be that cheap to sign him given what a few other scrub QBs will make next yr.

He doesn't want to leave and I cant see anyone offering anything more than a low 1 year deal.  Unlike others I think he has little to no leverage here, will ultimately sign a Jet friendly deal, as a bridge QB should

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He doesn't want to leave and I cant see anyone offering anything more than a low 1 year deal.  Unlike others I think he has little to no leverage here, will ultimately sign a Jet friendly deal, as a bridge QB should

In the salary cap era, is it worth it to have Fitzpatrick take up 10-13 mil worth of cap space at his age when you could have a RG111 or someone young like him on a 2 year 8-10 mil deal . 

5 hours ago, ljr said:

Hope they are able to pull off an under market value deal.

dont know if that is that announcer (Jason Cole?) being told bad info, passing along useless stuff, or making something up ... But it doesn't make sense saying that some team-mates want someone better at QB ... Do I want someone better ? sure! Let me go and get Aaron Rodgers! Ohh, there isn't anyone better available ... Ok, I guess I'll deal with what I have then

Jason Cole is legitimately one of the worst "insiders" in existence. In fact, he's so awful, I'm convinced that Fitzpatrick will have a new deal in 48 hours because this blowhard is spouting this.

IF he's correct, and that's a big if, I'd have to imagine the teammates want us to trade for someone (Kaep), sign a fix-it-up FA (RGIII), or draft a legitimate franchise prospect.

5 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Nothing groundbreaking here.  The Jets are playing the negotiating game with Fitz and should always be looking to bring in competition at the position.  Fitz was good but the fact remains we didn't win the Super Bowl, we didn't even make the playoffs, we should always be trying to get better every year at every position.

No the fact remains we lost TWICE TO THE BILLS AND AS A RESULT MISSED THE PLAYOFFS.  Fitz having two of his worst games at the most inopportune time.  You don't turn around and give this guy starter money after that.  Sure we want to resign him but it has to be for reasonable contract.  If Kaepnernick is cut in April, we may want to bring him in and let them compete for the starting job.  

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I do. They see what a lot of fans miss or ignore, like the way he never pretty much never surveys the field. His progressions go: (1) WR target 1 (2) RB (3) run. Which is why on 3rd & very short, if there's a play call to go deep if he can catch the D off-guard defending the underneath stuff, he throws it even if the receiver is covered. He just doesn't see the field, and a guy with his intelligence and experience, in a familiar offense, should be far better at that by now. With Fitz, investing in more targets is almost pointless; at best all it does is make it more difficult for the D to double up on Marshall or Decker. But from the time the ball is snapped, the primary target is the only target out of the backfield. 

He's tough, he's a good guy, a good and likable team leader, and that has more weight than just what he does (or doesn't do) on the field. He's worth bringing back at $8M (or less) because with the cap as high as it is and with how easily a starter can get injured, $8M isn't out of line for a guy you want to be the backup, but with whom the season's not over if he has to come in and mop up for a month or two. And they certainly don't want to go into mid-March - let alone the draft - with just Geno and Petty on the roster, forcing our hand in the draft for need today, which is how you end up drafting bust QBs. But more than $8M (or significantly more than that) creates pressure to start him based on compensation, and it's just too much to allot for him. He's just too limited. At $3.5M he was an incredible bargain. At "going starter money rate" ($15M plus) he's removing $7-10 million that the team needs to spend elsewhere to overcome the QB's limitations.

Unless the Broncos' 2015 defense magically manifests itself in green and white, the best option - really the only option - to get where we want is to find someone else better to QB the team. Fitz is a good temporary/bridge QB to have - a very good one to have - until that next QB presents himself (if Petty eventually develops into one, or it's a new one the team drafts or acquires through other means), but the team can't be financially tied to Fitzpatrick for a minute longer than absolutely necessary. 

Sanchez could be had for maybe 3-4 mil this year?

41 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

In the salary cap era, is it worth it to have Fitzpatrick take up 10-13 mil worth of cap space at his age when you could have a RG111 or someone young like him on a 2 year 8-10 mil deal . 

Honestly, I'd have a hard time finding any era where counting Fitz 13 mil a year towards the cap is worth it.  He played well a year ago, but hes going to be 33 and has limitations 

35 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Wow, what fantastic news

I've been drinking burbon all day, I'm sleeping on the couch tonight, my dog sh*t on the floor yesterday, and I have to pay my bills this week.

Thank you Jets for giving me a bright spot for this week!

Tx, your a Jets fan now?

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Your not making the playoffs with Geno Smith. You have zero shot of winning any playoff games without a QB. 

We will replace Mo. We will replace Snacks. We will NOT replace a 30 TD QB. Signing Osweiler would be cool be hes young with upside outside of those two we might as well dump this season if Geno is starting. 

What do you consider a successful season,having fun watching games I did it too last season but was very disappointed with the outcome no playoffs. 

Fitzpatrick played great but not good enough,can he do it again is a big question.

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Honestly, I'd have a hard time finding any era where counting Fitz 13 mil a year towards the cap is worth it.  He played well a year ago, but hes going to be 33 and has limitations 

Is there enough time before the season starts to surgically attach Petty's arm onto FitzMagic?

I just read how they put a titanium beak on a bird.... how hard can an arm be?

2016 Fitz stats.... 60 TD's and 27 INT's and a SB Ring!

Get it done MacDaddy!

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Is there enough time before the season starts to surgically attach Petty's arm onto FitzMagic?

I just read how they put a titanium beak on a bird.... how hard can an arm be?

2016 Fitz stats.... 60 TD's and 27 INT's and a SB Ring!

Get it done MacDaddy!

No, no, no.

Makes much more sense to surgically attach Fitzs head to Pettys body!

Performed at Robert Wood Johnson hospital of course!

3 hours ago, ljr said:

I didn't suggest that. I said you pay him that to be an interim/bridge QB, at $8M max not 10 or 12, where it's at least not off the deep end crazy if he ends up as the backup. High priced backups, coming off far lesser statistical seasons than Fitz, got $5M or so when the cap limit was $10M+ lower. For one year, with no future team lock unless we want it, it's not that nutty with him as the projected starter at the time he's signed.

It's far from ideal, but not having a good starting QB can lead to less than ideal moves. What is unacceptable us paying him $12-18M numbers like some have suggested. If someone else pays him that let them and we'll collect a decent comp pick instead and move on now instead of maybe now / maybe 2017.

I don't like a deal for more $ if he starts and less if he sits because then the veteran players coach Bowles is put into the position of costing Fitz several million if he takes a chance on a younger guy and his feeling guilty could become a factor. If it's close I'd want him to go with a younger guy with a higher ceiling. If that decision costs the popular Fitz $5M it could make Bowles go with Fitz. 

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

Sanchez could be had for maybe 3-4 mil this year?

That would just be my dream. :)

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't suggest that. I said you pay him that to be an interim/bridge QB, at $8M max not 10 or 12, where it's at least not off the deep end crazy if he ends up as the backup. High priced backups, coming off far lesser statistical seasons than Fitz, got $5M or so when the cap limit was $10M+ lower. For one year, with no future team lock unless we want it, it's not that nutty with him as the projected starter at the time he's signed.

It's far from ideal, but not having a good starting QB can lead to less than ideal moves. What is unacceptable us paying him $12-18M numbers like some have suggested. If someone else pays him that let them and we'll collect a decent comp pick instead and move on now instead of maybe now / maybe 2017.

I don't like a deal for more $ if he starts and less if he sits because then the veteran players coach Bowles is put into the position of costing Fitz several million if he takes a chance on a younger guy and his feeling guilty could become a factor. If it's close I'd want him to go with a younger guy with a higher ceiling. If that decision costs the popular Fitz $5M it could make Bowles go with Fitz. 

That will be amazing if Mac can get him to take 8per year (esp after Bradford just got 18) ... Who do you have as QB in 2016 if he refuses to go that low ?

as far as the 2nd year having a large amount incentive based that was just me spitballing ... I don't think Bowles has shown any indication that he'd make choices over "feeling guilty" ...  But that was more just a possible "olive branch" in negotiations to Fitz & his agent of ... Hey worst case scenario if the team went in a younger direction at starting QB in 2017 it would help us keep Fitz well compensated in the #2 QB role ... No biggie though if you think we'd be better off with a salary structure that would force the Jets hand to make a decision on cutting him in 2017 if they believe Petty to be ready

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

What do you consider a successful season,having fun watching games I did it too last season but was very disappointed with the outcome no playoffs. 

Fitzpatrick played great but not good enough,can he do it again is a big question.

Theres only one question: Who is gonna be our QB if its not Fitzpatrick? Which available QB can be better then Fitz?

Teams need time to mesh. Once this team meshed we were a top 10 team offensively and defensively which means they could be even better. 

Trying to be cute and saving a few million and letting go of Fitz would be idiotic. Sign him to an incentive laiden deal and continue to draft and develop QB's. For once we wont have to rush and destroy a rookie QB by making him start day 1. 

8 hours ago, ljr said:

That will be amazing if Mac can get him to take 8per year (esp after Bradford just got 18) ... Who do you have as QB in 2016 if he refuses to go that low ?

as far as the 2nd year having a large amount incentive based that was just me spitballing ... I don't think Bowles has shown any indication that he'd make choices over "feeling guilty" ...  But that was more just a possible "olive branch" in negotiations to Fitz & his agent of ... Hey worst case scenario if the team went in a younger direction at starting QB in 2017 it would help us keep Fitz well compensated in the #2 QB role ... No biggie though if you think we'd be better off with a salary structure that would force the Jets hand to make a decision on cutting him in 2017 if they believe Petty to be ready

Amazing or not, replacement on the roster today or not, that is where we should be. And Bowles has exactly shown that he puts personal preferences and likes onto the field, and for some, dislikes he keeps off the field. He has had no competitions to speak of to date. Everyone was handed a job and it stayed that way until (a) we ran out of players due to injury, and forced his hand (like Kerley getting a game of mid-season action before then going right back to the bench; Cromartie only missng a start due to injury, then going right back again despite his generally sh*tty play, and the same for Skrine, incidentally, whose performance took a major dip after some really good play to start the season); (b) the GM rightly stepping in on Coples for money-risk reasons once Richardson got some time in at OLB after coming off suspension; (c) sub-par play was allowed to continue for so long before a lesser player was given some time on the field (Marcus W, Mauldin).

Then there's also that last factor (d) which is that Bowles has already announced that if Fitz comes back he is the starting QB of the NY Jets, end of discussion. That's without any contract terms clouding the issue. Fitz will get all the 1st team work and everyone else juggles around from #2 to #3 (assuming that isn't a sham competition as well). If Fitz has an incentive or significant $-bump for being the starter, it can't be for 2016. It will absolutely cloud Bowles' judgment because it's right there in front of his face. Bowles isn't a robot. He'll know that a coin toss decision, should something end up that closely, will be more than just who gets the start: it will disproportionately affect 1 player far more than the other. When neither has made it a slam dunk decision that won't be ignored completely. Bowles won't make that tough decision. He goes with his initial plan and that's that, come hell or high water.

So an incentive contract in 2016 is a bad idea, and a contract with incentives only for 2017 is pointless. If he's played his way out of the starting job in 2016 (or someone clearly better has materialized) the team will approach Fitz with a "pay cut or get cut" choice. He should get $8M per season whether starting or sitting for 2016, and you can even bump it to $10M or $12M if he's still starting in 2017. By 2017 it's not a factor because less than half of that $8-12 million in year 2 should be guaranteed, leaving the team with leverage for him to cut his salary down to $6M to be the #2 (a reasonable # these days for a top-notch #2 QB who can step in on no notice without the team falling to pieces). Plus a younger guy overtaking him isn't going to be be pricey yet in 2016 anyway. So $8M/year (or $8M for 2016, $12M for 2017, who cares/fluff beyond that), with $12M guaranteed. 

There's been plenty of chatter already that no other team is deluding itself into believing Fitz would repeat his 2015 numbers against a par-level (never mind above-par) season of opponents instead of the joke schedule 2015 afforded. Nor do many other teams in need of a starting QB have a 1-2 duo on par with Marshall-Decker making things easier still. Even more, many/all of those teams would be in a better position to draft a rookie QB higher than us to boot. 

It's possible someone would throw a kookie contract at him because this is the NFL and no contract surprises me anymore. So be it. Fitz isn't Russell Wilson. If we lose him because someone else wants to pay him $14M+ per season then we lose him. The team's goal right now, today, is to upgrade from Fitz not to go with Fitz. Except Bowles, who will probably start him no matter what (just like he was prepared to do with Geno a season earlier).

If Mac was interested in locking him up at those #s he had all season long to throw it at Fitz while Fitz still was risking injury to finish the season. That's why I don't think he's going to make such an offer, and it's the right move to play hardball. Mac wants him back, but only at his #s. Otherwise he'd have already offered $14M-plus per year that Fitz would have pounced on, and this ordeal would have been over with by now.

12 hours ago, JetBlue said:

No the fact remains we lost TWICE TO THE BILLS AND AS A RESULT MISSED THE PLAYOFFS.  Fitz having two of his worst games at the most inopportune time.  You don't turn around and give this guy starter money after that.  Sure we want to resign him but it has to be for reasonable contract.  If Kaepnernick is cut in April, we may want to bring him in and let them compete for the starting job.  

I agree, Fitz had a great year and I loved his grittiness but the fact remains we didn't even make the playoffs and Fitz is a journeyman QB coming off his best year ever.  It's tough to expect him to just be able to duplicate that season especially against what many are considering a much harder schedule.  I'm all for bringing in competition at the QB position Fitz shouldn't be handed a blank check and from how long this process seems to be taking it looks as if Mac is going to play a little hardball with Fitz as well.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's been plenty of chatter already that no other team is deluding itself into believing Fitz would repeat his 2015 numbers against a par-level (never mind above-par) season of opponents instead of the joke schedule 2015 afforded. Nor do many other teams in need of a starting QB have a 1-2 duo on par with Marshall-Decker making things easier still. Even more, many/all of those teams would be in a better position to draft a rookie QB higher than us to boot. 

It's possible someone would throw a kookie contract at him because this is the NFL and no contract surprises me anymore. So be it. Fitz isn't Russell Wilson. If we lose him because someone else wants to pay him $14M+ per season then we lose him. The team's goal right now, today, is to upgrade from Fitz not to go with Fitz. Except Bowles, who will probably start him no matter what (just like he was prepared to do with Geno a season earlier).

If Mac was interested in locking him up at those #s he had all season long to throw it at Fitz while Fitz still was risking injury to finish the season. That's why I don't think he's going to make such an offer, and it's the right move to play hardball. Mac wants him back, but only at his #s. Otherwise he'd have already offered $14M-plus per year that Fitz would have pounced on, and this ordeal would have been over with by now.

My threshold #'s are higher than yours, but I am only willing to go "so high" as well.  My concern is what is plan B at QB in 2016 if Fitz's Camp won't take our offer.

i don't believe Petty is ready yet ... And am not a fan of Geno.

so what's next ? Perhaps Chase Daniel or Drew Stanton?

doesnt seem like we'll be able to "set the bar" on an offer for Osweiller.

anyway, 2016 looks pretty bleak if a deal can't be worked out IMO

Archived