Ryan Fitzpatrick, The Journeyman

j4jets

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

All Mac has to do is send wilk to the redskins for Captain Kirk and our qb problems are solved for the next ten years

Oh yeah?  The same Kirk Cousins who failed just as badly, if not worse, against good defenses as Fitz?  The same Kirk Cousins we'd have to pay a ton more than Fitz to re-sign?  That guy?

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What would be a reasonable price ?

You know this will be the next 50 thousand threads.  Once we have him signed its gonna be months of moaning about he isn't worth what we paid....  And I might agree if its starter money but all signs point to "hold the fort" money 10 mil or less.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh yeah?  The same Kirk Cousins who failed just as badly, if not worse, against good defenses as Fitz?  The same Kirk Cousins we'd have to pay a ton more than Fitz to re-sign?  That guy?

I don't want Cousins but w/ a chance to get his team to the playoffs he led his O to 34 points and the win on the road in week 17 w/ less talent around him.

i do not know how ready Petty is.   it  sounds like Mac is not, so to speak, bowled by him yet.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Mike-Maccagnan-on-Bryce-Pettys-Progress/c1f84b9b-8af9-410b-b5a8-06128eca2d54

what i do know is that Fitz blew it in what was probably the most important game of his life.  And I did not like the victory tour he took going to Ranger games etc after the season ended.  The man failed the most important test he ever will take in his professional life.  I am not saying he should have gone into hiding, but there was no cause for celebration -- he did some very good things, yes, but he lost the one game we had to win against rex, of all people.  i almost threw up watching that effen game.

The Jets, my Jets, our Jets, have obviously needed a real QB since forever.  I would not give Fitz whatever level of greed his agent's at.  I would see if Petty is the guy this summer.  If he can play at any level (even if he is as mediocre as geno) go find the messiah and keep him as a backup.  get rid of geno, who is arrogant and can never be the leader of this team, a team that did not have his back when a journeyman punched him in the face.  I get the impression that Fitz is a greedy SOB who wants to add us to the list of sucker teams that have already paid this mediocre ballplayer 50 million dollars. let him walk.  Any games he plays should be on the field, and they need to be good ones, so maybe at best we give a contingency contract, depending on if we reached the playorffs with him at the qb helm, if not, then sayonara.

If Petty starts and is a bust, we get good picks, and will possibly be able to draft well next season, given our killer schedule.  If Bryce turns out to be The Man, then we're set for a decade, and lost nothing.  IMHO all Fitz represents is finishing somewhere in the middle of the pack.  With Petty, we win either way, since no team is going to release a good QB who can actually help us.  We are probably going to have find that guy in the draft.  Period.

28 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

All the qbs beerfish named faced actual defenses, sorry that post is easily discredited too.

Of those games:

Brady faced 21,28 ranked pass defenses

Palmer faced 23,27,28 ranked pass defenses

Roeths faced 20,22,24 ranked pass defenses

Fitz faced 21, 32 ranked pass defenses

Newton faced 31, 32 ranked pass defenses

Rogers faced 26th ranked pass defense

Try again sport.

15 hours ago, j4jets said:

I misunderstood. Im just annoyed of the posters who think we need to bend over backwards for him and his beard and pay him $12+mil. Thats insane. I'd rather go with Petty.

This is a win now team.  Fitzpatrick set the Jets record for TD passes and came within a hair of the passing yardage record in 2015.  Instead you want to go with a raw QB who was drafted in the 4th round last year. This is laughable!

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

So, common sense tells you how involved Todd Bowles is in signing players to contracts?  That's what you're telling me?

Yes, in saying Bowles has an input in signing players. Mac isn't throwing darts. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When Captain Kirk played elite defenses he was missing reed and demean Jackson, he lit the packers with Sam shields good D up in the playoffs and lost because of his defense not being able to stop Aaron Rodgers.

fitztragic threw 8+ picks against teams that cousins had a 100+ passer rating on 

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we would have been 4-12 in 2014 w/ him.

More like 6-10 or 7-9 because he usually make good decisions though he sometimes plays like he has a better arm than he really does.  That said, he deserves credit for helping the team get 10 wins in 2015. 

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

More like 6-10 or 7-9 because he usually make good decisions though he sometimes plays like he has a better arm than he really does.  That said, he deserves credit for helping the team get 10 wins in 2015. 

Making good decisions like throwing the ball to his old team 3 times?

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

w/o Marshall bailing him out and w/ a banged up decker as a #1 those "good decisions" wouldn't have been as good as 2015.  people forget that while Fitz is a Harvard guy so obviously smart he has also been a turnover machine in his career b/c of poor decision making on the field.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

I wonder how Fitz would have done with the 2014 WR play.....

Obviously not as well, however this line of thinking, oft quoted as the main reason he did well this year doesn't hold up to scrutiny in my books becasue a well established vet receiver in Brandon Marshall had the best year of his career this past year.  If Fitz was totally a product on WR talent and if he is a lesser Qb this year guys like Marshall and Decker would not have had the kind of years they had.  You still have to see the WR, have some chemistry with him and get the ball in his area for him to make the great plays.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Obviously not as well, however this line of thinking, oft quoted as the main reason he did well this year doesn't hold up to scrutiny in my books becasue a well established vet receiver in Brandon Marshall had the best year of his career this past year.  If Fitz was totally a product on WR talent and if he is a lesser Qb this year guys like Marshall and Decker would not have had the kind of years they had.  You still have to see the WR, have some chemistry with him and get the ball in his area for him to make the great plays.

Marshall was on a mission to prove his critics wrong after his subpar (for him) and injury plagued year the previous season.  Plus while he may have had the best year of his career, it was in line with several other seasons he has had in his career.  In fact his 2012 season was almost as good.   http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonmarshall/2495893/careerstats.  I think any objective person would see that Marshall helped make Fitz look good and not the other way around.  Marshall has been stud his entire career. 

7 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Marshall was on a mission to prove his critics wrong after his subpar (for him) and injury plagued year the previous season.  Plus while he may have had the best year of his career, it was in line with several other seasons he has had in his career.  In fact his 2012 season was almost as good.   http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonmarshall/2495893/careerstats.  I think any objective person would see that Marshall helped make Fitz look good and not the other way around.  Marshall has been stud his entire career. 

The QB has to get the Wr the ball.  If the Qb doesn't get the Wr the ball nothing happens.  Marshall and decker for that matter also dropped a lot of passes in parts of the year.  Down grading a QB's performance becasue the Wr plays well is pushing it to some extent.

Here's a stat, the NY Jets were 7th in the whole league in dropped passes last year, and 10th in the whole league in drops per attempt.  Must have been all he bad wobbly throws I suppose.

Step 1, get a good play called

Step 2 execute the snap

Step 3 have the QB make a quick decision

Step 3a if the original read is not there make another quick decision

Step 4 have the QB make a throw that is at least catchable.

Step 5 have the WR trust the Qb when running his route

Step 6 make the catch.

The QB's we have had about the previous 7 years to Ftizpatrick had better arms but were worse in just about every other category.

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The QB has to get the Wr the ball.  If the Qb doesn't get the Wr the ball nothing happens.  Marshall and decker for that matter also dropped a lot of passes in parts of the year.  Down grading a QB's performance becasue the Wr plays well is pushing it to some extent.

Here's a stat, the NY Jets were 7th in the whole league in dropped passes last year, and 10th in the whole league in drops per attempt.  Must have been all he bad wobbly throws I suppose.

Step 2 execute the snap

Step 6 make the catch.

The QB's we have had about the previous 7 years to Ftizpatrick had better arms but were worse in just about every other category.

I get all of that. None of those QBs you refer to (Smith, Vick or Sanchez) were throwing to a receiver tandem with the ability of Marshall and Decker. You need to factor that in.  When you have all pro quality recievers, the qbs job is MUCH easier; especially considering how big and physical they both are. All you need to do is get the ball in their catching radius (which is larger than the average receiver) and they will do the rest more often than not.  Fitz is no exception to this rule and in fact was the beneficiary of such. 

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Step 2 execute the snap

Step 6 make the catch.

Yes, those QB's threw a ton of incompletions and interceptions....but the velocity on those throws was a sight to behold.

4 hours ago, FlaJetsFan said:

i do not know how ready Petty is.   it  sounds like Mac is not, so to speak, bowled by him yet.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Mike-Maccagnan-on-Bryce-Pettys-Progress/c1f84b9b-8af9-410b-b5a8-06128eca2d54

what i do know is that Fitz blew it in what was probably the most important game of his life.  And I did not like the victory tour he took going to Ranger games etc after the season ended.  The man failed the most important test he ever will take in his professional life.  I am not saying he should have gone into hiding, but there was no cause for celebration -- he did some very good things, yes, but he lost the one game we had to win against rex, of all people.  i almost threw up watching that effen game.

The Jets, my Jets, our Jets, have obviously needed a real QB since forever.  I would not give Fitz whatever level of greed his agent's at.  I would see if Petty is the guy this summer.  If he can play at any level (even if he is as mediocre as geno) go find the messiah and keep him as a backup.  get rid of geno, who is arrogant and can never be the leader of this team, a team that did not have his back when a journeyman punched him in the face.  I get the impression that Fitz is a greedy SOB who wants to add us to the list of sucker teams that have already paid this mediocre ballplayer 50 million dollars. let him walk.  Any games he plays should be on the field, and they need to be good ones, so maybe at best we give a contingency contract, depending on if we reached the playorffs with him at the qb helm, if not, then sayonara.

If Petty starts and is a bust, we get good picks, and will possibly be able to draft well next season, given our killer schedule.  If Bryce turns out to be The Man, then we're set for a decade, and lost nothing.  IMHO all Fitz represents is finishing somewhere in the middle of the pack.  With Petty, we win either way, since no team is going to release a good QB who can actually help us.  We are probably going to have find that guy in the draft.  Period.

THIS.  I don't care how good a season Fitz had, his real test was the two Buffalo games and he  came up short.  Especially the last game of the year.  He needed to find a way to win that game, I don't care how ugly.  The fact that he played so poorly in so important a game will forever taint him in my mind because it is not about moral victories, (he had a career year, 30 TDs 15 INTs yada, yada, yada...) it is about rising to the occasion and seizing the moment in the games that count the most. 

8 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

The Fitz lovers are out of control.

Both Taylor and Tannehill are much better QB's than Fitz.

Taylor yes, tannehill? not a chance.  he is one of the most overrated players in the league b/c he puts up decent #s in garbage time.

6 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Lol, the bills with Taylor were 9-5 or 8-6 and without him they lost every game, when the bills had Taylor they stood toe to toe with heavyweight teams. While the jets with Fitzpatrick got destroyed by half ass teams.

nice way to try to spin it though

The Jets with Fitz were 10-5 and without him they lost every game.

Who were these "heavyweight teams" that the Bills stood toe to toe with? Their best two wins were against the 10-6 Jets. Houston perhaps? Or Indy? Because other than that they beat the same crappy Phins team that we beat, the same crappy Cowboys team that we beat, and the same crappy Titans team that we beat.

Nice way to try to spin it though

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

Who were these "heavyweight teams" that the Bills stood toe to toe with? Their best two wins were against the 10-6 Jets. Houston perhaps? Or Indy? Because other than that they beat the same crappy Phins team that we beat, the same crappy Cowboys team that we beat, and the same crappy Titans team that we beat.

Well done.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Unfortunately they also managed to beat a "crappy" Jets team WITH Fitz not once but TWICE.  With the Playoffs on the line to boot...

Just now, JetBlue said:

Unfortunately they also managed to beat a "crappy" Jets team WITH Fitz not once but TWICE.  With the Playoffs on the line to boot...

So are we crappy? Or a "heavyweight"? That's what I'm confused about in the post I quoted.

Just now, jamesr said:

So are we crappy? Or a "heavyweight"? That's what I'm confused about in the post I quoted.

Actually so am I, lol.  At this point I think the jury is still out. I mean heavyweight teams don't lose games like we did to Buffalo with the playoffs on the line so you tell me. 

18 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I get all of that. None of those QBs you refer to (Smith, Vick or Sanchez) were throwing to a receiver tandem with the ability of Marshall and Decker. You need to factor that in.  When you have all pro quality recievers, the qbs job is MUCH easier; especially considering how big and physical they both are. All you need to do is get the ball in their catching radius (which is larger than the average receiver) and they will do the rest more often than not.  Fitz is no exception to this rule and in fact was the beneficiary of such. 

So which is it do you give Smith and sanchez bonus points for having lousy wrs or do you cut down Fitz for having good wrs?  Some people on here want to do both.

This ends up coming down to watching the games and seeing why plays succeed or not.

Endless times with Sanchez and Geno it didn't matter a lick as to who the wr was because the plays failed before the pass was thrown.

Bad reads, panic, poor pocket presence, poor ball security, bad instincts.  The Geno Mark duo left a huge number of successful plays on the field by the reasons I just quoted.  The Jets could have Megatron and Antonio Brown as Wr's and Geno Mark might not see them running free down field as they have locked on to the TE as their #1 read.

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, those QB's threw a ton of incompletions and interceptions....but the velocity on those throws was a sight to behold.

The worst thing about both sanchez and geno is the horrible places they made mistakes  (often in the redzone or inside their 20) and simply not being aware in the pocket.  Both can throw quite well and both can produce if everything goes to plan on the 1st read, if not sacks or worse strip sacks.

19 hours ago, j4jets said:

We claim Fitzy to be some sort of savior who set franchise records in a middle of the pack season statistically, and far below average when you consider the competition. You're not the next coming of Rich Gannon if you cant make the playoffs after being gift wrapped the easiest schedule in the league. There have been 4 teams in the last 4 seasons that either cut, traded, or let Fitz reach the FA. There's a reason why four different CS let him go.

2015 - Jets - Let him hit FA

2014 - Texans - Traded

2013 - Titans - Cut

2012 - Bills - Cut

Jets obviously don't see him as a 'savior' otherwise they would've bent over and handed him a blank check. We are not getting another cakewalk schedule next year. He was total sh*t in the last quarter of the season, the most important quarter of the entire season. He was garbage. The moment he didn't have Bilal Powell, Fitzy  became a different QB. He can't carry a team. Thats the exact definition of a game manager. He'll have a good game here n there, but he's not going to carry us. Thats the third tier QBs at best. He's nothing more than a Josh McCown caliber QB (2 years 10mil). I'd give him 2 years 12mil max with incentives to earn another maybe $4mil.

If you're a Geno hater, then just know that Fitzy was worse than him and thats a fact. He's total garbage. He's not taking us to the playoffs even if Brady is handed a 5 year suspension.

While I can't disagree with you 100% I find it hard to believe that you know the Jets are gonna let him hit free agency when there is still a few days left before it starts. For all we know they could be negotiating as we type.

Also, I am not going to say he's some great quarterback, but his past 2 seasons have been his best as a pro so he has clearly gotten better as his career has gone on. And the running game was atrocious down the stretch, which would be hard on most quarterbacks with the exception of Brady and maybe a handful of others.

I still think he is their best option right now although I would be hesitant to pay him over $15 mill a year if that's what it takes.

Archived