Ryan Fitzpatrick, The Journeyman

j4jets

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The worst thing about both sanchez and geno is the horrible places they made mistakes  (often in the redzone or inside their 20) and simply not being aware in the pocket.  Both can throw quite well and both can produce if everything goes to plan on the 1st read, if not sacks or worse strip sacks.

Mark was light years better than geno so don't compare them.  mark's 2010 was better than Fitz's 2015 despite #s not nearly as good.  How many games did he and the pass O pull out?  mark made mistakes as did fitz but mark came through to help us get to and win in postseason.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Beerfish said:

So which is it do you give Smith and sanchez bonus points for having lousy wrs or do you cut down Fitz for having good wrs?  Some people on here want to do both.

This ends up coming down to watching the games and seeing why plays succeed or not.

Endless times with Sanchez and Geno it didn't matter a lick as to who the wr was because the plays failed before the pass was thrown.

Bad reads, panic, poor pocket presence, poor ball security, bad instincts.  The Geno Mark duo left a huge number of successful plays on the field by the reasons I just quoted.  The Jets could have Megatron and Antonio Brown as Wr's and Geno Mark might not see them running free down field as they have locked on to the TE as their #1 read.

I understand your point but to downplay the importance of having not one but two top receivers is wrong. I have seen plenty of journey man QBs look good with throwing the ball to top receivers.   I totally get it about pocket presence and ball security etc.  You seem to forget that Fitz has had problems with the latter through his career as well, of course he is also a 10 year veteran so you would think he would improve over that period of time.  If the Jets had Megatron and Antonio Brown if you truly think Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez would still struggle to the degrees that they have, than I guess we just have to agree to disagree.   

3 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

While I can't disagree with you 100% I find it hard to believe that you know the Jets are gonna let him hit free agency when there is still a few days left before it starts. For all we know they could be negotiating as we type.

Also, I am not going to say he's some great quarterback, but his past 2 seasons have been his best as a pro so he has clearly gotten better as his career has gone on. And the running game was atrocious down the stretch, which would be hard on most quarterbacks with the exception of Brady and maybe a handful of others.

I still think he is their best option right now although I would be hesitant to pay him over $15 mill a year if that's what it takes.

15 million? I wouldn't pay him a dime over 10. 

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

For real....if that scrub goes out and wins 10 games again, they might see a trip to the post season, and what Jets fan wants that?  My hope is that the Jets don't win another football game for at least a dozen seasons.  First pick in the every year for over a decade, they'll be unbeatable.

You're killing me ... hahahaha

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Mark was light years better than geno so don't compare them.  mark's 2010 was better than Fitz's 2015 despite #s not nearly as good.  How many games did he and the pass O pull out?  mark made mistakes as did fitz but mark came through to help us get to and win in postseason.

No mark was not light years better than geno, marks big 'success years' were with a top 5 defense, running game and oline, he produced really well in about 2 of all his playoff games.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

15 million? I wouldn't pay him a dime over 10. 

I'm just being realistic as to what the market is and what people are saying he might get. I'm not the GM or Fitz's agent, just dealing in reality of what QBs are getting paid right now.

Just now, jetfuel said:

I'm just being realistic as to what the market is and what people are saying he might get. I'm not the GM or Fitz's agent, just dealing in reality of what QBs are getting paid right now.

I was hoping they'd get him for 8-11 million per season but if you look at his numbers against other QB's, that puts him at being grossly underpaid.  Hoping he'll sign for $13 mil or less.

I wouldn't hesitate if he wanted $15m a year. I'd show him and his agent the door straight away and invite them to come back when reality bites. :D

I think Fitz is the best option for next year, but I'm not going to hamstring the rest of the team by overpaying. 

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Geno should never have started because he wasn't ready just like Petty wasn't ready last year and probably isn't this upcoming season.  Sitting on the sidelines and being on the bench is the best thing to happen to him in his young career whether he remains on the Jets or not.  Sanchez went into NE and helped kick the Pats out of the playoffs and for that I will never forget that.  

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The QB has to get the Wr the ball.  If the Qb doesn't get the Wr the ball nothing happens.  Marshall and decker for that matter also dropped a lot of passes in parts of the year.  Down grading a QB's performance becasue the Wr plays well is pushing it to some extent.

Here's a stat, the NY Jets were 7th in the whole league in dropped passes last year, and 10th in the whole league in drops per attempt.  Must have been all he bad wobbly throws I suppose.

Marshall has always dropped a lot of balls, he was too 5 in drops this season and has always been too 5-10, but to say all of marshals success is all because of fitztragic is crazy

4 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

I hear you but I hope our GM is too smart to do that. I would rather go with Smith, Petty, a Draft pick and perhaps RG3 or Kaep before I pay that kind of money to Fitzpatrick. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No mark was not light years better than geno, marks big 'success years' were with a top 5 defense, running game and oline, he produced really well in about 2 of all his playoff games.

The D was very good but also folded often late in games.  the run game was very good in 2009, good in 2010.  what we had this year was better than what was around the QB in those 2 years.

He was good to really good in all 6 of his playoff games.

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Geno should never have started because he wasn't ready just like Petty wasn't ready last year and probably isn't this upcoming season.  Sitting on the sidelines and being on the bench is the best thing to happen to him in his young career whether he remains on the Jets or not.  Sanchez went into NE and helped kick the Pats out of the playoffs and for that I will never forget that.  

no doubt about it but the GM wanted his QB to play and it forced Rex to insert mark in that giant game and ruin our 2013 season.  Mark should have been starting while Geno watching until he was ready.

I like how they are bringing Petty along slowly, who knows if it pays off but we'll see. 

That NE game was the biggest in franchise history outside of the 1968 season.

37 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I was hoping they'd get him for 8-11 million per season but if you look at his numbers against other QB's, that puts him at being grossly underpaid.  Hoping he'll sign for $13 mil or less.

Fully agreed ... I'd like to have him back as long as it doesn't kill their cap situation even more. It's obvious that they are going to need to make some cuts and restructures regardless of what happens with Fitz, so big contract will only make it more difficult. But not as difficult as not having a QB. Gonna be tough calls all around in next couple of weeks. 

29 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I hear you but I hope our GM is too smart to do that. I would rather go with Smith, Petty, a Draft pick and perhaps RG3 or Kaep before I pay that kind of money to Fitzpatrick. 

RG3 and Kaep are gonna cost as much or more than Fitz, and I think Fitz is a better and much smarter QB than both of them, so I'd rather keep Fitz if those were my choices. I get that those two have the tools but they are just not good QB's as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm not thrilled with the idea of Geno or Petty or a rookie taking the job, but that would at least make sense from a cap standpoint and I would understand why they would go that way. 

6 minutes ago, jetfuel said:

Fully agreed ... I'd like to have him back as long as it doesn't kill their cap situation even more. It's obvious that they are going to need to make some cuts and restructures regardless of what happens with Fitz, so big contract will only make it more difficult. But not as difficult as not having a QB. Gonna be tough calls all around in next couple of weeks. 

It'll certainly be interesting to look back on FA and the draft and see how it all looks in hindsight. One thing that's guaranteed - plenty of overreaction whatever happens! :D

9 hours ago, jamesr said:

And last year at this time we had the awesome 12-4 Cowboys, the 11-5 Colts fresh off an AFCCG appearance, and the dangerous 10-6 Eagles who narrowly missed the play offs.

Thats the point.  We think we have a difficult schedule off of last years records.  Who knows what the schedule will look like, not one of these nimrods crying about it.  Or are slapping themselves over the "easy schedule" this past season. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats the point.  We think we have a difficult schedule off of last years records.  Who knows what the schedule will look like, not one of these nimrods crying about it.  Or are slapping themselves over the "easy schedule" this past season. 

I agree, it's hard to predict but I can't imagine it gets easier than last year.  Outside of 2008 I can't think of a weaker sched that we have had in the last 20 years.

8 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Lol, the bills with Taylor were 9-5 or 8-6 and without him they lost every game, when the bills had Taylor they stood toe to toe with heavyweight teams. While the jets with Fitzpatrick got destroyed by half ass teams.

nice way to try to spin it though

He was 7-6, pretty much the same mediocre record the Bills posted with his missed games.

No spin needed.  

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I agree, it's hard to predict but I can't imagine it gets easier than last year.  Outside of 2008 I can't think of a weaker sched that we have had in the last 20 years.

I'm sure you cant.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Yeah, light years.

theyre the same exact QB.  Just Geno has a better arm.  And the bad luck of not having Marks WRs, running game, OL and defense.

45 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Shouldn't the Jets reward the QB who set the Jets all-time passing TD record?

It kills me when these guys say this, a bunch of qbs throw 30+ td's every season, Idc if fitz did it this season, it just shows how terrible jets qb's have been.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

13679413411940060589.GIF

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Last 6 games of the season:

Fitzpatrick: 5-1, 15 tds, 4 ints, 1706 yards

Brady: 2-4, 11 tds, 3 ints, 1450 yards

Roeths: 4-2, 11 tds, 9 ints, 2051 yards

Newton: 5-1, 15 tds, 1 int, 1554 yards

Palmer: 5-1, 8 tds, 2 ints, 1605 yards

Rogers: 3-3, 8 tds, 5 ints, 1339 yards

Your post is moronic and I can only gather that it is a 'Here!  Look at me!' kind of thread because you go from 'he's a journeyman' (which every single person on this forum knew) to 'he's no savior' (which every single person on this forum knew) to 'he sucks and is the worst' (which is simply not the case at all) to the absurd laughable ending of 'Geno would be better!'

Fitzpatrick is a limited vet QB who is indeed a journeyman and who is indeed a stop gap Qb for this team.  He was in no way garbage last year, he provided the best overall QBing this team has seen in probably 7 or 8 years.  Anyone that really thinks Geno freaking Smith would have done even close to the same or better is a dumb ass, or as Captain Kirk would say a double dumb ass.

Last quarter of the last game of the season, but tell me more how beat up on beat secondaries while getting bitch slapped by the Bills. 

Archived