Matt Forte to Jets ? ? ?

kelly

Best team fits for free agents

Free agency is just around the corner. We've already broken down our top 99 free agents, now it's time to start predicting the madness. We started by picking the players who are bound to get paid too much followed by free agents who offer the most bang for the buck. Now it's time to examine the best player-team combinations.

Matt Forte to Jets

Matt Forte, who is looking at a fresh start after a successful nine-year run with the Bears, has been connected to the Patriots for weeks. Forte would certainly be a nice fit in Josh McDaniels' offense, but we see an equally appealing fit 220 miles south. Ryan Fitzpatrick made magic with Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker last season, but the Jets lacked a third receiver to serve as a Fitz security blanket. Bilal Powell emerged in that role late in the season, but he's a free agent and Forte would represent an upgrade. Forte could be to Jets coach Todd Bowles what LaDainian Tomlinson was to Rex Ryan once upon a time in the Meadowlands. -- Dan Hanzus

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640942/article/best-team-fits-for-free-agentshttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640942/article/best-team-fits-for-free-agents

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you're saying we should ignore all of our other team needs? Forte is old, He will come very cheap. Same with Arian Foster. 

What's "cheap"?  2 mil?  Please we need every penny in cap room to lock up Wilk and a qb.

Frank Gore did wonders for the colts last year.

Gore is 2 years older then Forte, and was behind one of the worst OLs in the NFL.

Forte has been one of the most productive RBs in the game the past 7 yrs, i'd take him if he were to come cheap.

reports have Forte's value at around 3M a year.  i'm sure Marshall could talk him into coming cheap as well.

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

What's "cheap"?  2 mil?  Please we need every penny in cap room to lock up Wilk and a qb.

Frank Gore did wonders for the colts last year.

So because Gore was bad therefore Forte will be bad? Is that how this works? Pretty sure LT put up about 1300 yards for the Jets when he was done with the Chargers. We aren't talking about trading away a 1st and 2nd rd pick for Forte and giving him a 3 year 40 million dollar contract. We are talking about kicking the tires on a player that put up 900  yards rushing and 400 yds receiving in just 13 games last year. The year before he 102 catches out of the backfield. 

I'd rather draft Elliot, but if the choices are Bilal Powell or Matt Forte starting game 1 next year, I am going with Forte 100 times out of 100. 

17 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

We don't have a lot of cap room, just tagged wilk at $16 million and Bradford just f'd up the fa qb market.

It would be absolutely dumb to pay a part-time running back $3 million.

so whats your plan for RB, Stacy?  

i don't know if you know this, but the GM can negotiate to restructure some contracts and i'm sure theres still some players that will be cut.

26 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

We don't have a lot of cap room, just tagged wilk at $16 million and Bradford just f'd up the fa qb market.

It would be absolutely dumb to pay a part-time running back $3 million.

You do know if we get Wilk under contract that number goes away

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Wow, that makes it sound so easy. What if elliot isn't available at 20 and the RB we end up taking in the 3rd/4th round turns out to be a bust? Now we have no viable starting RB on a team that just won 10 games. Well done Idzik. 

Cheaper, younger and similarly effective players will be available as late as round 7.

Yes it's that easy

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

completely on board with drafting Elliott at 20. but what if he isn't there?  i'd still draft him at 20 if we signed someone like Forte or Foster.

Plenty of other good to decent backs in the draft.  Jordan Howard in the 5th round would cost about 1/10th what forte would cost.

The Seahawks and 49ers got guys off the street to be effective featured backs for them last season

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Cheaper, younger and similarly effective players will be available as late as round 7.

Yes it's that easy

Melvin Gordon was taken in the 1st round last year and was awful, but you KNOW that we can find someone in the 7th who is just as good as Matt Forte???? Comical. 

Here is a list of last  years RBS taken in the 6th/7th round. 
marcus Murphy

Kenny Hilliard

Josh Robinson

Those 3 guys combined for 17 Carries for 39 yards. And you want that to be the type of RBs this team plays next season? 

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Plenty of other good to decent backs in the draft.  Jordan Howard in the 5th round would cost about 1/10th what forte would cost.

The Seahawks and 49ers got guys off the street to be effective featured backs for them last season

And the Pats got Tom Brady in the 6th round, therefore it's easy to find HOF QBs in the 6th round. Your logic is extremely flawed. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Melvin Gordon was taken in the 1st round last year and was awful, but you KNOW that we can find someone in the 7th who is just as good as Matt Forte???? Comical. 

Here is a list of last  years RBS taken in the 6th/7th round. 
marcus Murphy

Kenny Hilliard

Josh Robinson

Those 3 guys combined for 17 Carries for 39 yards. And you want that to be the type of RBs this team plays next season? 

Which is why you draft multiple backs and don't draft a back in rd 1

47 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And the Pats got Tom Brady in the 6th round, therefore it's easy to find HOF QBs in the 6th round. Your logic is extremely flawed. 

Um ok.  Let's pretend teams don't find good backs in the later rounds just about always

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Cant waste 2 picks on same position unless last resort

Double dipping is actually a very good strategy if you have extra picks such as a number of comp picks.  We don't so your point is valid this year I agree.  In the past we have been well served doing this, Rhodes and Maddox at safety, Rhodes was really good for a few years, even the Idzik mess of picking three WR, at least Enunwa has some promise.

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

I'd love Forte here, but I don't see how he doesn't end up with the Pats. 

All things being even, would you rather play for the Jets or for Brady and the Pats.

Especially if you are older, and really want a chance at a ring.  I'd bring him in on a 2 year 6 million deal.

13 hours ago, chirorob said:

All things being even, would you rather play for the Jets or for Brady and the Pats.

Especially if you are older, and really want a chance at a ring.  I'd bring him in on a 2 year 6 million deal.

He'd only have Brady for the last 12 games. 1st 4 Brady is suspended (hopefully)

Archived