Alternatives if Fitzpatrick walks

hawk

It's obvious that there is a split on what is acceptable to pay Fitzpatrick, and instead of arguing what that may be, can we have a discussion about what the next step would be.

The free agent market, right now, is abysmal.  Brock Osweiler may shake free from Denver, but even if he does, I will assume he is out range financially.  However, there is some potential competition for Smith or Petty.  Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen would be intriguing options, but the two that jump out are TJ Yates and Case Keenum, both of whom have some form of relationship with Mac.

The draft, at least to me, isn't any better.  The only option, in my opinion, in the first round is Jared Goff, who should be gone.  If the Jets take a quarterback in the second round or later, does that mean they should be anointed the starter?  

The bottom line, there needs to be a competition for the starting role.  Personally, I don't want Geno Smith even in the mix.  I agree with the argument that Smith was thrown into the fire too early, and that he didn't have the weapons.  However, I don't believe he has the leadership qualities to be a starting caliber QB.  Petty has all the tools, but we don't know where he is mentally.

So, the question remains, who is the best option if the Jets can't sign Fitzpatrick?  

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My stomach turns everytime I think about Geno under center, or Geno in a Jets uniform.  I'm all for looking at other possibilities but the Geno ship has sunk.  I don't want to go backwards.  I'm totally fine with giving the reigns to Petty at that point if its Geno or Petty, 1 yr on the bench should be enough in todays NFL to not "damage the psyche" of the QB.  Either he's got it or he doesn't.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

Hopefully Fitz will return and this is a mute topic.  Other options:

RG III

Brock Osweilier

Chase Daniel

Drew Stanton

Geno Smith

Bryce Petty

RG III and Osweilier will not be options for us due to the money they will command.  Osweilier isn't leaving Denver anyway since that's Elways prodigy pick, they will pay him starter money.  RG III is going to get paid on potential alone, there was a report today stating 10 teams are interested in him.  That leaves... well... the rest of your list and out of that list, give me Petty.

You can take Stanton off that list as I'm pretty sure he will never come back to the Jets after Tanny ****ed him over hardcore.  Don't forget Stanton was a Jet for like a day or 2 before acquiring Tebow.

17 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

RG III and Osweilier will not be options for us due to the money they will command.  Osweilier isn't leaving Denver anyway since that's Elways prodigy pick, they will pay him starter money.  RG III is going to get paid on potential alone, there was a report today stating 10 teams are interested in him.  That leaves... well... the rest of your list and out of that list, give me Petty.

You can take Stanton off that list as I'm pretty sure he will never come back to the Jets after Tanny ****ed him over hardcore.  Don't forget Stanton was a Jet for like a day or 2 before acquiring Tebow.

I can't see Mac taking a "shot in the dark" and banking on Petty with a "win now" team.  Mac is too calculating to do that.  I hope Fitz is brought back, but if not  another veteran must be brought on to the team to at least compete for the starting job.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

It would, under Gailey.

Give him a young QB with NFL skills, and watch what happens.

Jets are going nowhere with Fitz.

Outside of Osweiller who will cost too much $$$, Who of the available young QB's would you consider to have NFL skills?

I think Fitzpatrick will be back at a price that turns everyone's stomach, but the cap expanded so whatev. If some dickhead team decides to sweep in and steal Fitzpatrick, or if Maccagnan wants to go scorched earth, you go into camp with Petty and Geno and pray to God Petty plays well enough to not outright make it impossible to start him. If his play causes the team to go 6-10, so what, the team wasn't going anywhere with or without Fitz.

crazy-ass idea would be to sign RGIII and hope his Dan Snyder nightmare humbled him enough to want to learn how to play the position in full. I'd rather give RGIII $8 mil per than Fitzpatrick $12m.

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I can't see Mac taking a "shot in the dark" and banking on Petty with a "win now" team.  Mac is to calculating to do that.  I hope Fitz is brought back, but if not  another veteran must be brought on to the team to at leafs compete for the starting job.

Isn't the veteran Geno though? I mean if you are going to bring in a vet like Matt Moore, you might as well just give the job to Geno as at the very very least there is possible potential there as sick as it makes me to say it.  At that point if you are banking on potential I'd rather go with Petty.  Basically what I'm getting at is we don't really have another choice at the moment then Fitz if we want to continue where we left off last year or take the gamble and hope that Petty beats out Geno in camp.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Fitzpatrick will be back at a price that turns everyone's stomach, but the cap expanded so whatev. If some dickhead team decides to sweep in a steal Fitzpatrick, or if Maccagnan wants to go scorched earth, you go into camp with Petty and Geno and pray to God Petty plays well enough to not outright make it impossible to start him. If his play causes the tea, to go 6-10, so what, the team wasn't going anywhere with or without Fitz.

crazy-ass idea would be to sign RGIII and hope his Dan Snyder nightmare humbled him enough to want to learn how to play the position in full. I'd rather give RGIII $8 mil per than Fitzpatrick $12m.

Oh hell yeah

3 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Isn't the veteran Geno though? I mean if you are going to bring in a vet like Matt Moore, you might as well just give the job to Geno as at the very very least there is possible potential there as sick as it makes me to say it.  At that point if you are banking on potential I'd rather go with Petty.  Basically what I'm getting at is we don't really have another choice at the moment then Fitz if we want to continue where we left off last year or take the gamble and hope that Petty beats out Geno in camp.

I'm  not in Bowles head, I don't know how he feels about Geno. We must remember Geno was named  the starter by Bowles last year prior to the punch incident.  Another consideration is the salary cap.  Geno only makes in the neighborhood of $1.6M. It would be helpful to the cap if Geno were the vet option to Petty.

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I'm  not in Bowles head, I don't know how he feels about Geno. We must remember Geno was named  the starter by Bowles last year prior to the punch incident.  Another consideration is the salary cap.  Geno only makes in the neighborhood of $1.6M. It would be helpful to the cap if Geno were the vet option to Petty.

My only thought on the whole "he was named the starter" is the fact that Geno was the incumbent and deserved the first nod at being the starter.  Thats the only reason he earned it, he never got to prove if he earned it cuz he thew a bunch of balls in his shorts, which he was always good at.  I know its just imo but I do feel the organization wanted to move on but wasn't sure how to and hoped that Fitz would just straight up pass him.  I think this would have probably happened in the preseason but thats all hypothetical at this point.  What we do know is Geno had the opportunity when Fitz went down in Oakland, he couldn't rally the team behind him and win the game and Bowles had 0 confidence in letting him lead the team and instead did everything possible to get Fitz back out on the field as the starter. 

But I do agree with you, as much as I dislike Geno he should be the vet option if Fitz walks I hope that Petty is ready to take the next step.  As a Jet fan I know I should want Geno to be great but I just have a severe dislike of him and find it incredibly hard to root for him.  If that's how he makes me feel I really have to question how he makes his teammates and the organization feel.

9 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You drafted a QB in the 2nd round last year, you might want to start there.

General word of mouth has seemed to indicate another year on the bench to be in his best interest ... But hope you are correct & he's more ready than the rumor mill has been saying

I don't understand why people think it will take Petty so long to develop.

During this time Petty was considered a first round pick and the third QB to go after Mariota and Winston, but  his draft stock dropped because he wasn't very good when it came to dealing with NFL defenses.

Petty has all the tools: a strong arm, great accuracy, smart.

And since Gailey's system is essentially a one read system I don't see why you guys try to make it seem like he will have this difficult time adjusting, Petty himself said that college D's look easy now.

From everything I've heard and read the Jets are very high on Petty, I think he could take the reigns next year if he works hard enough. 

19 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

I don't understand why people think it will take Petty so long to develop.

During this time Petty was considered a first round pick and the third QB to go after Mariota and Winston, but  his draft stock dropped because he wasn't very good when it came to dealing with NFL defenses.

Petty has all the tools: a strong arm, great accuracy, smart.

And since Gailey's system is essentially a one read system I don't see why you guys try to make it seem like he will have this difficult time adjusting, Petty himself said that college D's look easy now.

From everything I've heard and read the Jets are very high on Petty, I think he could take the reigns next year if he works hard enough. 

http://nypost.com/2016/02/25/jets-to-give-petty-chance-to-take-no-2-qb-job-away-from-geno/

Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated this week that Petty will get to compete with Geno Smith for the backup job behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom the Jets expect to re-sign.

assuming the deal gets taken care of with Fitz ... Todd Bowles himself has indicated that Petty will compete for the backup spot

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Fitzpatrick will be back at a price that turns everyone's stomach, but the cap expanded so whatev. If some dickhead team decides to sweep in and steal Fitzpatrick, or if Maccagnan wants to go scorched earth, you go into camp with Petty and Geno and pray to God Petty plays well enough to not outright make it impossible to start him. If his play causes the team to go 6-10, so what, the team wasn't going anywhere with or without Fitz.

joewilly12 replied "Oh hell yeah" to this post, so.

3 minutes ago, ljr said:

http://nypost.com/2016/02/25/jets-to-give-petty-chance-to-take-no-2-qb-job-away-from-geno/

Jets coach Todd Bowles indicated this week that Petty will get to compete with Geno Smith for the backup job behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom the Jets expect to re-sign.

assuming the deal gets taken care of with Fitz ... Todd Bowles himself has indicated that Petty will compete for the backup spot

Yes, but that's what they feel he could be NEXT year. Not long term, Mac said he is very excited to get to work with Petty this offseason

It's not to crazy to expect that a guy like Petty could make a bigger leap than TB and the rest of the FO thinks.

1 minute ago, Colgateman said:

Yes, but that's what they feel he could be NEXT year. Not long term, Mac said he is very excited to get to work with Petty this offseason

It's not to crazy to expect that a guy like Petty could make a bigger leap than TB and the rest of the FO thinks.

Hope you're right ... But it is pretty crazy to expect you know more than the HC

Just now, ljr said:

Hope you're right ... But it is pretty crazy to expect you know more than the HC

Didn't say I knew more...what is up with you people and assumptions? ALl I'm doing is taking multiple sources and pieces of info and putting them together and forming an opinion. 

If the things about Petty being a smart hard working guy are true, why would it be so hard for him to make that jump?

1 minute ago, Colgateman said:

Didn't say I knew more...what is up with you people and assumptions? ALl I'm doing is taking multiple sources and pieces of info and putting them together and forming an opinion. 

If the things about Petty being a smart hard working guy are true, why would it be so hard for him to make that jump?

I quoted a fact that the HC believes Petty can compete for backup QB next season.

you are disputing that fact with your opinion.

that is your prerogative to do ... However when you do so you look foolish by being offended when someone calls you out on it.

7 minutes ago, ljr said:

I quoted a fact that the HC believes Petty can compete for backup QB next season.

you are disputing that fact with your opinion.

that is your prerogative to do ... However when you do so you look foolish by being offended when someone calls you out on it.

And I am quoting facts that Mac and other Jets beat writers said.

9 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

And I am quoting facts that Mac and other Jets beat writers said.

Between Bowles, Mac and the beat writers, who do you believe has the most say in who plays?

Archived