Cut Dee Milliner?

hawk

Dee Milliner has been an utter disappointment with his injury history, and according to both spotrac.com and overthecap, he is due a $1.5 Million dollar roster bonus.  The roster bonus becomes due if he is on the preseason roster.  That leads me to believe that if they cut him, they save $1.5.  In addition, there is offset language, where if he is signed by another team the amount he is signed for relieves the Jets cap space.  Well, his base salary is the league minimum, so if he signs, they save another $.6 Million.  

If I am reading this correctly, they save $2.1 Million if they cut him and he signs with another team.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000222652/article/dee-milliner-new-york-jets-agree-to-rookie-contract

if Milliner is on the preseason roster in 2016, he earns $1,456,424.

four-year, $12.66 million rookie deal is fully guaranteed with offsets

Dee Milliner has been an utter disappointment with his injury history, and according to both spotrac.com and overthecap, he is due a $1.5 Million dollar roster bonus.  The roster bonus becomes due if he is on the preseason roster.  That leads me to believe that if they cut him, they save $1.5.  In addition, there is offset language, where if he is signed by another team the amount he is signed for relieves the Jets cap space.  Well, his base salary is the league minimum, so if he signs, they save another $.6 Million.  

If I am reading this correctly, they save $2.1 Million if they cut him and he signs with another team.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000222652/article/dee-milliner-new-york-jets-agree-to-rookie-contract

if Milliner is on the preseason roster in 2016, he earns $1,456,424.

four-year, $12.66 million rookie deal is fully guaranteed with offsets

That $2.1MM savings represents 1.2% of the salary cap.

Mac has much bigger decisions to make than trying to save pennies on the dollar.

The New York Daily News doesn’t expect the Jets to cut CB Dee Milliner.
Milliner has played in just 21 games since 2013. His $2.1M guaranteed should lock him into a spot. With Antonio Cromartie gone, Milliner will compete for the Jets’ No. 4 corner job.

56 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cut him, watch him sign with the Pats and become a pro bowler, and then see the same morons calling for his cut cry about letting a good player get away for nothing. SOJFs

Yeah this isn't a concern with Dee....

I say cut him so we don't have his slack, loser ass constantly reminding us how we wasted a top ten pick on this MEGABUST

Just now, Tinstar said:

This guy is probably the safest  guy on the Jets roster .  He has a 4 mil cap hit  if he's cut and saves us absolutely nothing .   We lose 4 mil and a roster spot .

Ugh

Cut him, watch him sign with the Pats and become a pro bowler, and then see the same morons calling for his cut cry about letting a good player get away for nothing. SOJFs

Jesus already, this has pretty much never happened, ever. Yet every friggin time we cut a player some mook always has to scream out "da Pats are gonna sign him and he'll be supastarz yo!" Stop. Dee Milliner is not even a football player at this point. He has been out of the game so long he can't even be counted on to play, much less NFL level, much less pro bowler with the Pats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the jets should give up on him at this time. Cromartie is gone, Revis has either peaked or Bowles D isn't an optimal fit for him so I think we should let Milliner have one more chance with the team. Good teams don't give up on first rounders that easy. It's not as if he sucked ( Wilson ), he was hurt. Our run D is so good that teams will be passing on us a lot so we need at least 5 competent CB's on the roster and FA would cost more than Dee and the first and second round picks should be used elsewhere. Just my 2 cents

42 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Jesus already, this has pretty much never happened, ever. Yet every friggin time we cut a player some mook always has to scream out "da Pats are gonna sign him and he'll be supastarz yo!" Stop. Dee Milliner is not even a football player at this point. He has been out of the game so long he can't even be counted on to play, much less NFL level, much less pro bowler with the Pats.

Yes, but if we cut him, we actually lose cap space, not save it. Why? Cuz if you're right, no team will pick him up and we'd be on the hook for his entire 2.1 mil salary, but his vacant spot in the top 51 would need to be filled with another player, leaving us at least half a mil in cap deficit as opposed to keeping him. If another team picks him up and keeps him on their roster, you're point becomes moot. Either way, Dee should stay this year. Health is a concern, but he flashed enough his rookie year to warrant keeping him and saving the half mil. Weird how that works, but its true.

Of course there is no financial benefit to cutting Millner.  If there was, he'd be a goner for sure.  It forces Cro to be the odd man out.

We are stuck praying he finally stays healthy for a full season, and still has skill after the achillies injury

10 hours ago, Snell41 said:

That's because most of the players we usually cut are guys we drafted in the 6th round. Miliner was a top 10 pick a couple of years ago and showed some flashes. You are acting as if I am advocating for the Jets to give Dee a 4 year 80 million dollar deal. I am just saying, lets hang on to him because he has top 10 talent and cutting him saves us nothing. I'm using common sense while you are working off of emotion. Thankfully I don't think Mccags thinks like you. 

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's because most of the players we usually cut are guys we drafted in the 6th round. Miliner was a top 10 pick a couple of years ago and showed some flashes. You are acting as if I am advocating for the Jets to give Dee a 4 year 80 million dollar deal. I am just saying, lets hang on to him because he has top 10 talent and cutting him saves us nothing. I'm using common sense while you are working off of emotion. Thankfully I don't think Mccags thinks like you. 

I'm not saying we cut him.  There's no point to it.  What I'm saying is the idiotic notion that if we did he'd go be a superstar for NE is ridiculous.  We cut Victor Hobson, he went to the Pats and didn't make the team.  Same crap was said then.  We cut Chris Baker.  He went on to suck for NE as well.  Sean Ellis went on to pretty much steal money from NE.  In fact the only guy that ended up in NE after we cut him that was any bit decent was Woodhead.  Even more so, historically guys NE has cut went on to have decent careers with us.  If cutting Dee Milliner was in fact an option, which lucky for him and his contract it's not, worrying about him going on to be any good for NE is the least of our concern.  In fact I'd be fine with NE signing him because he can't be counted on at all.  At this very moment Dee Milliner is not even a football player.  Can he possibly become one again, sure.  But I have real doubts.  He was a freakish athlete ala Cro.  He was not a technique corner in the mold of Revis.  A freakish athlete who has now injured just about every body part he has.  He didn't even get a sniff at the CB position last year, with the likes of Marcus Williams ahead of him.  It's mind boggling to me the fact that if we drafted a QB as high as we did Milliner and that QB has been as awful and injured as Milliner has been we would be screaming to cut the guy now.  Relatively speaking Mark Sanchez's first 3 years were HOF worthy in comparison to Milliner, and people couldn't wait to ship his ass out.  Milliner sucks.  His contract means he stays because he's a body and we gain nothing cutting him, but he sucks. 

Archived