A surprise visitor in Jets' locker room -- Muhammad Wilkerson

Gas2No99

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No offense, but if the Jets truly want to negotiate a long term deal with him, that is a terrible plan. Now is the only time (going forward) when they have such leverage. After the season we'd have to offer him more than his current asking price. After we made him take on his own injury risk, though? Once the injury risk is gone, there's no reason to take an offer from the Jets without shopping himself around first. If the Jets are then still the highest bidder, then so be it. If I'm Mo, that's 100% the position I'm taking.

The last thing I'd be rushing to do - after the season's over and I'm an unbound FA - is bypass knowing for sure I signed the highest offer I could get, just to re-sign with a team that drafted my position 3x after they drafted me; a team who gladly had me take on my own injury risk for the past 3 consecutive seasons, while noticeably lesser players were cashing in for more than they offered me (plus the knowledge that those lesser players cashed in precisely because their original teams didn't value them as much as the Jets valued Mo, which is why they were let go into the FA pool in the first place). There's almost nothing the Jets could offer then, that they wouldn't offer now, that would prevent me from finally shopping my services league-wide once the season - and the season's injury risk with it - is gone. 

... Mo also bested our Spaniard, which means he must have studied, and in studying he must have learned that NFL players are mortal, so he would have put the poison as far from himself as possible, so we can clearly not choose the wine in front of us....

We should send Mo a video of Leon Washington's injury and then get him in a locked room and come to some kind of a deal while his own near miss is still fresh in his mind. 

15 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Would suck to lose one of our better players that we drafted, so I hope Mo (& Agents) is starting to realize the reality of his market value and signs for the 1 year tender and then we can REALLY negotiate NEXT SPRING when the Jets are in CAP HEAVEN for the 2017 off-season and could better placate Mo for a LT deal and learn the lesson to start early with Sheldon. 

I believe that is the approach Mac is taking. He gets another season of Wilkerson playing for a contract - whether it's from the Jets or someone else - and he gets to evaluate the progress of Sheldon Richardson. I think the reason for Mac's slow progress on this is he knows he can't keep both Wilk and Rich, so he wants to see which one brings the best upside. I think Wilkerson is the better player and he will get his long term contract next year while Richardson will be franchised or traded. 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Jets Wire was told by multiple agents not tied to Wilkerson that he should expect a contract worth roughly $15 million a year on the open market, with north of $60 million guaranteed. The Jets, apparently, are unwilling to part with that kind of money.

if that's true that really pisses me off

We could bring that down by 2 million per year to average 13M per year if we use 12M not spent on Fitz in 2016.

Cap dollars are fungible

On the other hand what several agent have said that he "should" expect to get may be very far south of what he is asking for

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Jets Wire was told by multiple agents not tied to Wilkerson that he should expect a contract worth roughly $15 million a year on the open market, with north of $60 million guaranteed. The Jets, apparently, are unwilling to part with that kind of money.

the Jets aren't serious about winning.

They are more interested in saving Woody's money and tricking us into supporting the team. 

How hard is it to sign the rare amazing player the team drafts? How hard is it to sign the starting QB that won 10 games? 

But no we are stuck with Geno Smith and platitudes. Nice cheap words. 

44 minutes ago, Larz said:

POS probably wants quadruple that, the first borns of all fans, PLUS a signed and sealed statement that he is better than JJ Watt.

Do not budge, Woody! We shall overcome!

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

Well as Gato has said Mo's on the fast track to the HOF and actually made a Pro Bowl in his first 5 years in the league. (Has that ever been even done before??):blink: Plus he will have a better career then Klecko so Mo should get a at least 75 million guaranteed plus maybe 10% of the team to sweeten the pot.. :)  http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

No he won't. Not without signing the tender first, which is not happening until the last day of the deadline.  Much greater likelihood that he skips mini camp.  I have no idea what you are basing your prediction on.  There's nothing there to suggest it and he has already stated that he intends to skip camp.   

Muhammad Wilkerson doesn't have to sign his tender till the tenth week( last week he must sign or his season over with) ( no way he does that and miss that many checks) .  Most of the time franchise players miss most of training camp ( sign a week before the season starts). 

So I wouldn't expect  to see Muhammad Wilkerson in training camp any time soon.  Unless Jets give him something- like guarantee he can't be franchised again in 2017. 

Franchise Tag Deadlines

The parties have until July 15 to come to terms on a long-term extension. After this date, any contract can only be for one season, and it can’t be renegotiated until after the team’s final regular season game (Art. 10, Sec. 5(k)). Last season, five players were hit with the franchise tag: Justin Houston, Dez Bryant, DeMaryius Thomas, Stephen Gostowski and Jason Pierre-Paul. Four of these players reached long-term extensions before the start of the season. The latter’s Fourth-of-July fireworks accident may have prevented a similar outcome between himself and the New York Giants.

The last day a franchised player can sign his tender is the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season. If he does not accept the tag by this date, he will not be eligible to play in the NFL until the following league year. This would be extremely detrimental to a player because he would not accrue a season towards free agent and would be eligible to receive the tag again as if it was his first time.

17 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

A surprise visitor in Jets' locker room -- Muhammad Wilkerson

Rich In-Semen-iESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A person who resembled Muhammad Wilkerson walked in and out of the New York Jets' locker room Wednesday during the media period.

Wait ... it was Wilkerson, the Jets' Pro Bowl defensive end who still hasn't signed his franchise tender.

Wilkerson, who declined to speak with reporters, apparently has made periodic visits to the Jets' facility. Nevertheless, his presence at One Jets Drive could be considered unusual because he's not under contract, technically.

By rule, the two sides have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term contract. Failing that, Wilkerson will play 2016 for the amount of his tender -- $15.7 million. He probably won't sign the tender anytime soon. Once he signs, he's required to attend mandatory team activities, such as next week's minicamp. What's the point? Because he's still rehabbing a surgically repaired broken leg, he wouldn't be able to participate in the minicamp anyway.

That Wilkerson is showing up could be interpreted as a positive sign. Even though he's not happy about his contract situation, he apparently isn't upset to the point that he wants to stay away from his workplace.

Coach Todd Bowles said he didn't see Wilkerson in the building Wednesday. Bowles said he expects every player under contract to attend next week's minicamp. Wilkerson won't be there ... unless he makes another locker-room cameo.

Wilkerson is all class.  He's the exact type of player you sign to a handsome contract and build a defense around.  World class on and off the field.

But the Jets are the biggest dumb ****s on the planet so he'll walk and they'll get nothing in return.

Side note; the franchise tag is deadly.  Teams should avoid using it all costs for premium position players.  

41 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Plus he will have a better career then Klecko

That's my favorite one....I just love that not so deep down it upsets you so much that some boooooy is going to be the best DL in Jets history if they're smart enough to lock him up. Haaaa Ha

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

That's my favorite one....I just love that not so deep down it upsets you so much that some boooooy is going to be the best DL in Jets history if they're smart enough to lock him up. Haaaa Ha

It's your favorite because you said it..:)

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

POS probably wants quadruple that, the first borns of all fans, PLUS a signed and sealed statement that he is better than JJ Watt.

Do not budge, Woody! We shall overcome!

What do fans think is happening in the NFL right now?  You want greatness?  You better open up your wallet because you got to pay to play.

Olivier Vernon is the 2nd highest paid defensive player in the NFL. And Malik Jackson just signed for a shade on 100mil. Give me Mo, all day, everyday.

And everyone who says, he wants JJ Watt money....JJ isnt the highest paid defender in the NFL.  Suh is.

But hey, he's not worth it because he's not JJ Watt. 

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I don't deny that one for a second. It's the only one you choose to accurately state because it offends you the most, giving it a special place in my heart. :wub::wub:

Nothing you post offends me I love a good laugh..:lol:

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wilkerson is all class.  He's the exact type of player you sign to a handsome contract and build a defense around.  World class on and off the field.

But the Jets are the biggest dumb ****s on the planet so he'll walk and they'll get nothing in return.

Side note; the franchise tag is deadly.  Teams should avoid using it all costs for premium position players.  

We all agree he is great and should be retained. At this point, maybe the organization knows something that fans don't? I refuse to believe that two different regimes failed to lock this all pro player up just to be cheap. It just doesn't make sense.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

What do fans think is happening in the NFL right now?  You want greatness?  You better open up your wallet because you got to pay to play.

Olivier Vernon is the 2nd highest paid defensive player in the NFL. And Malik Jackson just signed for a shade on 100mil. Give me Mo, all day, everyday.

And everyone who says, he wants JJ Watt money....JJ isnt the highest paid defender in the NFL.  Suh is.

But hey, he's not worth it because he's not JJ Watt. 

The good thing is that they have plenty to spend next year and his biggest in-house competition for a contract extension is Sheldon Richardson. I'll worry if/when he's actually shown the door, though with this dipsh*t franchise that is a real possibility.

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

We all agree he is great and should be retained. At this point, maybe the organization knows something that fans don't? I refuse to believe that two different regimes failed to lock this all pro player up just to be cheap. It just doesn't make sense.

There are quite a few people who dont agree.

Why wouldnt it make sense?  This is the same team playing hard ball with their starting QB.  They're cheap and stupid. It's pretty deadly.

This is what happens when you prioritize expensive veterans FA instead of your own.

8 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The good thing is that they have plenty to spend next year and his biggest in-house competition for a contract extension is Sheldon Richardson. I'll worry if/when he's actually shown the door, though with this dipsh*t franchise that is a real possibility.

That's the issue...they're just stupid enough to make this a reality.

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

We could bring that down by 2 million per year to average 13M per year if we use 12M not spent on Fitz in 2016.

Cap dollars are fungible

On the other hand what several agent have said that he "should" expect to get may be very far south of what he is asking for

its a moot point if they won't even go to $15 tho isn't it ?

18 hours ago, EM31 said:

... Mo also bested our Spaniard, which means he must have studied, and in studying he must have learned that NFL players are mortal, so he would have put the poison as far from himself as possible, so we can clearly not choose the wine in front of us....

We should send Mo a video of Leon Washington's injury and then get him in a locked room and come to some kind of a deal while his own near miss is still fresh in his mind. 

Never get involved in a land war in Florham Park. 

18 hours ago, JiF said:

There are quite a few people who dont agree.

Why wouldnt it make sense?  This is the same team playing hard ball with their starting QB.  They're cheap and stupid. It's pretty deadly.

This is what happens when you prioritize expensive veterans FA instead of your own.

That's the issue...they're just stupid enough to make this a reality.

Totally get where you are coming from, and we have seen this too often before.  But there's a key factor I don't know whether is true or not, that being whether Wilkerson quite simply is seeking too much money and has not been willing to sign for less.

Archived