The Mets Are Done (Good)! Jets PSL's Are (Awesome)!

SAR I

Baseball is 15 years from being irrelevant in all but about 6 cities. The American Naptime does not translate to impatient millenials.  Not even 1 baseball player in the top 50 favorite athletes in a recent poll of American youth. 

Enjoy it while it lasts.  Baseball and boxing are on the way out.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If the Nats win the division by only a couple games it'll essentially be because of Murphy. There was a long-term logic to the choice and it made sense at the time, still does in a few ways and we won't really know if it was the right move until the end of this year and then even more importantly for another year or two after that because everything was done with Dilson in mind. Had nothing to do with the draft pick.

End of the day it's absolutely absurd to rip the Mets for not seeing these numbers coming. There isn't one model that projected any of this and if there was he certainly would have been resigned and he would have been paid a lot more. The man was never even half the player on the Mets that he is right now save for a 6-game streak in the playoffs, after which he became one of the main reasons we lost the WS because he reverted back to his old self; and you don't hand someone $36 million based off what at the time was a 6-game anomaly.

I said it was a Jet-like move based on what's transpired. You can call it what you want but winning franchises usually seem to call it right and know what strings to pull. Vs. what's come to fruition so far. Bc no layman fan could see it doesn't mean the team with all its highly paid talent evaluators shouldn't be held accountable. 

But I'll agree the book's still unwritten. But tough to swollen as of right now I would think.

17 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I said it was a Jet-like move based on what's transpired.

And you are wrong. A Jets-like move would be completely crashing and burning with no fallback plan. The Mets have a blue-chip 2nd baseman that's replacing Murphy and in the meantime they traded their 6th starter that was on his way to the bullpen for a pretty great stopgap until he's up. This is what people have tried explaining to you, despite your insistence that there is no way you could possibly be in the wrong about a franchise that you clearly don't follow as you refuse to listen to any information from people who do.

You can call it what you want but winning franchises usually seem to call it right and know what strings to pull. Vs. what's come to fruition so far. Bc no layman fan could see it doesn't mean the team with all its highly paid talent evaluators shouldn't be held accountable.

Alderson did pull the right string. For some reason what you are failing to understand is that the Mets are not the Yankees. They have a set amount of dollars to play with because of the owners. Murphy would have meant no Cespedes. That's what happened. That's what others tried explaining to you. They are right. You are wrong. I don't know what else to tell you.

But I'll agree the book's still unwritten. But tough to swollen as of right now I would think.

Not really. End of the day Alderson knows what he's doing and makes his moves with the long-game in mind. The Mets have a loaded farm system with a solid handful of good infield prospects coming along the next few years, and they're coming off a season where they just made the World Series. Pretty great time to be a Mets fan actually. Dealing with Murphy playing statistically above his paygrade doesn't really change any of that.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And you are wrong. A Jets-like move would be completely crashing and burning with no fallback plan. The Mets have a blue-chip 2nd baseman that's replacing Murphy and in the meantime they traded their 6th starter that was on his way to the bullpen for a pretty great stopgap until he's up. This is what people have tried explaining to you, despite your insistence that there is no way you could possibly be in the wrong about a franchise that you clearly don't follow as you refuse to listen to any information from people who do.

Alderson did pull the right string. For some reason what you are failing to understand is that the Mets are not the Yankees. They have a set amount of dollars to play with because of the owners. Murphy would have meant no Cespedes. That's what happened. That's what others tried explaining to you. They are right. You are wrong. I don't know what else to tell you.

Not really. End of the day Alderson knows what he's doing and makes his moves with the long-game in mind. The Mets have a loaded farm system with a solid handful of good infield prospects coming along the next few years, and they're coming off a season where they just made the World Series. Pretty great time to be a Mets fan actually. Dealing with Murphy playing statistically above his paygrade doesn't really change any of that.

Yeah not paying a 3 year contract for a guy on his way to an MVP bc you have a blue chip and you can trade an arm for a stopgap is pulling all the right  stings. Your depressing me with your acceptance for mediocracy. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

OK monster man.

Seriously tho. And on the Yankees, they should be the highest paid team in baseball (which they're not btw). It's New York City, you're the greatest franchise in history...your players should get more. To a point...around mid00's tho with Arods second contract I even got turned off. But yeah Ny and La should be higher. Which makes me look at the Mets and say wtf

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

I said it was a Jet-like move based on what's transpired. You can call it what you want but winning franchises usually seem to call it right and know what strings to pull. Vs. what's come to fruition so far. Bc no layman fan could see it doesn't mean the team with all its highly paid talent evaluators shouldn't be held accountable. 

One more time, that Jet like move netted them a guy sitting at 16 HRs, who's a much better fielder than Murphy and a 21 HRs from Cespedes. 

You can call it mediocre or whatever shlt you're trying to sell.  So it's not tough to swallow.  

Baseball is 15 years from being irrelevant in all but about 6 cities. The American Naptime does not translate to impatient millenials.  Not even 1 baseball player in the top 50 favorite athletes in a recent poll of American youth. 

Go ahead believing that if you want to. What that tells me is that media companies like ESPN have taken to cutting baseball out of the national landscape because it fits there "hot take" mentality. They have to fill us with three extra hours of pigskin talk according to the exclusive deals they signed. And this being maybe the most pessimistic country on the planet.... people would rather kill baseball than be unhip.

Are you waiting for the huge soccer wave to take over? Well..... it's still here and growing slowly. Those big names are daunting though.... aren't they? Gerrard, Pogba, Lampard, Pirlo.... the MLS is like one big retirement home. And good luck producing any decent talent when the MLS swallows all the training pay down fees so they have to sue Dempsey and co. Soccer won't be replacing baseball amy time soon.

But go ahead at hating baseball anyway. We've taught kids that no possible enjoyment can be got out of playing it. Its not cool and marketable...... Good for us! Let's delete it from our culture permanently and take up cricket! Blow up Yankee Stadium for a India/Pakistan test series.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, that Jet like move netted them a guy sitting at 16 HRs, who's a much better fielder than Murphy and a 21 HRs from Cespedes. 

You can call it mediocre or whatever shlt you're trying to sell.  So it's not tough to swallow.  

STOP acting like Cespedes should have anything to do with Murphy except for cheap as sh*t ownership. 

51 minutes ago, HessStation said:

STOP acting like Cespedes should have anything to do with Murphy except for cheap as sh*t ownership. 

Now the true jealous Yankee fan in you is coming out.  

Fun to watch the team fall and fans heads explode when the Yanks operate under a budget.  When building a team needs more than just signing the biggest FAs.  Let's see how Hal etc run a team without spending like a drunk sailor. 

Letting Murph and his contract go is the reason they were able to resign Cespedes.  The Mets still have a Madoff budget to deal with.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fun to watch the team fall and fans heads explode when the Yanks operate under a budget.  When building a team needs more than just signing the biggest FAs.  Let's see how Hal etc run a team without spending like a drunk sailor. 

Letting Murph and his contract go is the reason they were able to resign Cespedes.  The Mets still have a Madoff budget to deal with.

Sad but true.  Thats why in the 90's , the winning was so much fun. All basically homegrown talent. To me..the beginning of the end was signing Clemens.  David Wells endeared himself to the fans and management "HAD" to have Clemens.  Similarly, the trading of Alfonso Soriano for AROID was a disaster.

As far as I am concerned, Clemens, AROID, Giambi and even CC are moves that in fact ruined the Yankees longer term.

While im venting..FUKK Boggs too.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Sad but true.  Thats why in the 90's , the winning was so much fun. All basically homegrown talent. To me..the beginning of the end was signing Clemens.  David Wells endeared himself to the fans and management "HAD" to have Clemens.  Similarly, the trading of Alfonso Soriano for AROID was a disaster.

As far as I am concerned, Clemens, AROID, Giambi and even CC are moves that in fact ruined the Yankees longer term.

Hey I'm not a bash the Yankees fan for playing within the rules, but fans have to realize how the Yankees have been able to operate for so long.  And while they'll always be the Yankees so they'll spend, they won't spend like they once did.  Mistakes like Irabu, Contreras, Taylor, etc will have an effect unlike before when they just brushed it off.  They'll be fine I'm guessing but the turnarounds will require more work

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Roger Clemens only led us to 3 consecutive World Series, winning 2 of them, and then to another in 2003.  His Yankee record by year:

1999: 14-10

2000: 13-8

2001: 20-3

2002: 13-6

2003: 17-9

Name another homegrown pitcher that could have put up those numbers and was that dominant in big games.  Those are epic statlines, in a span of 3 years he was 46-17. 

As for ARod, we don't win anything in 2009 without him, let alone the World Series.  He hit 30 home runs, produced 100 RBI, and was terrific in the postseason.

Look, I get the need to have a homegrown core.  But free agency didn't ruin the Yankees.  Free agency kept us on top, was the icing on the cake.  Free agency worked.  It was the core that wasn't replenished properly.

SAR I

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Roger Clemens only led us to 3 consecutive World Series, winning 2 of them, and then to another in 2003.  His Yankee record by year:

1999: 14-10

2000: 13-8

2001: 20-3

2002: 13-6

2003: 17-9

Name another homegrown pitcher that could have put up those numbers and was that dominant in big games.  Those are epic statlines, in a span of 3 years he was 46-17. 

As for ARod, we don't win anything in 2009 without him, let alone the World Series.  He hit 30 home runs, produced 100 RBI, and was terrific in the postseason.

Look, I get the need to have a homegrown core.  But free agency didn't ruin the Yankees.  Free agency kept us on top, was the icing on the cake.  Free agency worked.  It was the core that wasn't replenished properly.

SAR I

I dont think Clemens was THAT superior than Wells all things cinsidered. Thise teams would have done as well IMO without him. 98-99, the team was stacked and his record wasnt that great.  Shall we talk legacy, steroids, character??  Fukk Clemens IMO.

Don Zimmer stated that Soriano was the best all around baseball player he had seen in 10 years.  Yet...we never developed him. Trade him for AROD?  Fukk AROD.  I fully believe this team would have won at least 1 WS from the time AROD came her to now, without AROD. AROD is everything wrong with the Yankees.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The Mets totally have a better team and product now. I don't know if jealous is the right word bc in not really passionate enough about baseball in general. I do follow it, read, listen and watch games now and then. It's really just an objective opinion. You're paying your overachieving jag 2nd baseman $3MM more than the guy you couldn't keep who's having an MVP like year. Whom you only lost to a 3 year deal. 

And to guys like Rutgers who talking about "pulling the right strings" please. Walker wasn't even your back up plan but back up to the back up plan. 

But if it makes you feel better I 100% agree the Mets are sooooooo much more fun than the Yanks right now. 

I've been saying the same thing forever here, I don't not watch the Yanks bc of their record, it's the players mainly Arod. As stated I've become an extremely disinterested Yankkee fan since the second contract. 

And yes the Mets are the Team!

BUT not being able to work out a similar deal with Murphy as the Phillies is a TOTAL Jet like move. The excuses why only add to the reasons WHY it's is such a Jet like situation. With a franchise that can't get out of its own way. 

You guys are such orange bleeding homers you can't just rationalize that, nod that theres truth to it and move on. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I dont think Clemens was THAT superior than Wells all things cinsidered. Thise teams would have done as well IMO without him. 98-99, the team was stacked and his record wasnt that great.  Shall we talk legacy, steroids, character??  Fukk Clemens IMO.

Don Zimmer stated that Soriano was the best all around baseball player he had seen in 10 years.  Yet...we never developed him. Trade him for AROD?  Fukk AROD.  I fully believe this team would have won at least 1 WS from the time AROD came her to now, without AROD. AROD is everything wrong with the Yankees.

**** AROD! ??

18 hours ago, RoadFan said:

That's because the youth today is so focused on trends and stupid sh** to look "cool"

18 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Can't argue with this.

I'm about double a millennial's age and I'm bored out of my mind with it.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

The Mets totally have a better team and product now.

Better team right now, yes.  Better product, never.

It's still embarrassing to wear Mets stuff to the mall.  Going to have to win a Championship or two before that stigma vanishes.  We can wear Yankees stuff even if they go 0-162 next season, we've got decades of dominance and scores of Championships to make us feel proud.  "Product" is about the brand, not a short-term fluke run.  I should know.  I'm a Jets fan.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's still embarrassing to wear Mets stuff to the mall.  Going to have to win a Championship or two before that stigma vanishes.  We can wear Yankees stuff even if they go 0-162 next season, we've got decades of dominance and scores of Championships to make us feel proud.  "Product" is about the brand, not a short-term fluke run.  I should know.  I'm a Jets fan.

SAR I

Which is why according to your logic you should never wear your Jet's stuff in Paramus Park.

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

The Mets totally have a better team and product now. I don't know if jealous is the right word bc in not really passionate enough about baseball in general. I do follow it, read, listen and watch games now and then. It's really just an objective opinion. You're paying your overachieving jag 2nd baseman $3MM more than the guy you couldn't keep who's having an MVP like year. Whom you only lost to a 3 year deal. 

And to guys like Rutgers who talking about "pulling the right strings" please. Walker wasn't even your back up plan but back up to the back up plan. 

But if it makes you feel better I 100% agree the Mets are sooooooo much more fun than the Yanks right now. 

I've been saying the same thing forever here, I don't not watch the Yanks bc of their record, it's the players mainly Arod. As stated I've become an extremely disinterested Yankkee fan since the second contract. 

And yes the Mets are the Team!

BUT not being able to work out a similar deal with Murphy as the Phillies is a TOTAL Jet like move. The excuses why only add to the reasons WHY it's is such a Jet like situation. With a franchise that can't get out of its own way. 

You guys are such orange bleeding homers you can't just rationalize that, nod that theres truth to it and move on. 

1. Walker isn't and overachieving Jag

2. Murphy got a big 37.5 mil 3 year contract.

3. Walker isn't owed big money.  You're trying to tell us 37.5 isn't more than 10 mil?  

4. What do the Phillies have to do with any of this? 

5.  Tell us since Walker wasn't in the plan, who was?  As if it makes a difference? Cespedes wasn't in their plans either until they made this deal.  Because you deem it a back up plan or not Murphy for Walker & Cespedes isn't a good deal?  Ok.  

1 hour ago, Flushing Roots said:

Can't argue with this.

I'm about double a millennial's age and I'm bored out of my mind with it.

Previous generations of kids used to discuss batting averages, home runs, records, etc.

Now? It's not easy to find a kid that can name a baseball player other than Bryce Harper or one that knows who won the World Series last year.

I used to watch and play baseball as a kid.  I look back upon it with bewilderment.  A regular season baseball game is the most insignificant (162 of 'em), boring thing in all of sport.

Haven't watched a full inning in 20 years.  I can't wait until baseball is no longer a big part of sports radio.  Such a waste of air time.  The major networks just have to start replacing the aging personalities that are still under the delusion that baseball matters to anyone under the age of 50.

Time to hire guys that are also knowledgeable about MMA, the Premiere League, Champion's League, etc.  

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Previous generations of kids used to discuss batting averages, home runs, records, etc.

Now? It's not easy to find a kid that can name a baseball player other than Bryce Harper or one that knows who won the World Series last year.

I used to watch and play baseball as a kid.  I look back upon it with bewilderment.  A regular season baseball game is the most insignificant (162 of 'em), boring thing in all of sport.

Haven't watched a full inning in 20 years.  I can't wait until baseball is no longer a big part of sports radio.  Such a waste of air time.  The major networks just have to start replacing the aging personalities that are still under the delusion that baseball matters to anyone under the age of 50.

Time to hire guys that are also knowledgeable about MMA, the Premiere League, Champion's League, etc.  

While I can't disagree with you that baseball is not as popular as future generations, it definitely still has a strong pulse for today's youth. I teach sixth grade and though my district is mostly Hispanic and African American, I can still find a number of kids who love baseball. In fact in a end of the year survey, baseball was still listed in the top five for favorite sport (behind soccer, basketball and football in that order...which is no surprise since about 60% of the kids are Hispanic).

As far as the MMA, I know it's a growing sport, but I can't see it taking over baseball anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

1. Walker isn't and overachieving Jag

2. Murphy got a big 37.5 mil 3 year contract.

3. Walker isn't owed big money.  You're trying to tell us 37.5 isn't more than 10 mil?  

4. What do the Phillies have to do with any of this? 

5.  Tell us since Walker wasn't in the plan, who was?  As if it makes a difference? Cespedes wasn't in their plans either until they made this deal.  Because you deem it a back up plan or not Murphy for Walker & Cespedes isn't a good deal?  Ok.  

On one note... Zobrist was their initial fall back plan. 

Walker is making 10.5 this year, 2 1/2MM more than Murphy with an option next year for 11MM which they're likely to pick up. Sooooo that's roughly 22MM for two years, Murphy's jumps year two to what? Around 14? That's 22MM...do I need to go on?

i can't cover every strongman argument you're throwing at me bc, really what's the point. I know you'll agree w that.

32 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

My sons are teens and 20s. The teen has 2 friends who will play NCAA baseball, and all of them played little league and in some cases prep baseball. None of them follow MLB any more, and none of them much care to go to games unless someone drops tickets on them. The 2 guys who will play college baseball care only to the point that they dream of getting drafted.

The demographic that watches baseball is 50+. Anyone under 30 is watching the NFL, and to lesser extent the NBA and the NHL.And soccer's audience is growing all the time. Don't think it will overtake MLB tomorrow.  But if a Euro league establishes a beachhead of a few franchises here to supplant the MLS, or incorporates it as division, that could change very quickly.    

Simply MLB is losing young people. And even as a member of it's current demo, appear they do not grasp with all the entertainment choices it's  TOO GODDAMN S L O W. Yes, there is strategy, these guys are talented and work very hard, but there is so much down time when NOTHING HAPPENS. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Fair point 

28 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The demographic that watches baseball is 50+. Anyone under 30 is watching the NFL, and to lesser extent the NBA and the NHL.And soccer's audience is growing all the time. Don't think it will overtake MLB tomorrow.  But if a Euro league establishes a beachhead of a few franchises here to supplant the MLS, or incorporates it as division, that could change very quickly.    

Simply MLB is losing young people. And even as a member of it's current demo, appear they do not grasp with all the entertainment choices it's  TOO GODDAMN S L O W. Yes, there is strategy, these guys are talented and work very hard, but there is so much down time when NOTHING HAPPENS. 

Good conversation, great post.

My kids, ranging 11 to 18, have zero interest in attending baseball games.  They'll never say no to a hockey game, they may not have the stamina to attend all 8 Jets home games but will go to 5-6 of them, that's quite good.  But baseball is of no interest to them.  Not only is the game slow, but the 162 game season makes each game meaningless and when things start to matter for contending teams its right on top of going back to school, and the start of the NFL, and the games start at 8 and run until midnight.

Everything that made baseball beloved by bored Americans in the 1940's works against it now.  Back then, baseball was the only affordable form of entertainment and the neighborhood thing that socially bonded the youngsters.  Today, that all happens on a smartphone.  No need to live vicariously through a sports personality; on Snapchat you can be your own star.

SAR I

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

On one note... Zobrist was their initial fall back plan. 

Walker is making 10.5 this year, 2 1/2MM more than Murphy with an option next year for 11MM which they're likely to pick up. Sooooo that's roughly 22MM for two years, Murphy's jumps year two to what? Around 14? That's 22MM...do I need to go on?

i can't cover every strongman argument you're throwing at me bc, really what's the point. I know you'll agree w that.

No one gives a damn that Walker makes more this year.  It's baseball and fully guaranteed.  Murphy will get his 37.5 mil.  That's 27 mil more committed to him over Walker.  Who was very Murphy like with more power and a better glove.  You can do all the twisted math all you want the bottom line is they weren't going to commit that kind of money to him with a prospect they like in the minors developing. This isn't hard, done

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one gives a damn that Walker makes more this year.  It's baseball and fully guaranteed.  Murphy will get his 37.5 mil.  That's 27 mil more committed to him over Walker.  Who was very Murphy like with more power and a better glove.  You can do all the twisted math all you want the bottom line is they weren't going to commit that kind of money to him with a prospect they like in the minors developing. This isn't hard, done

Ahahahhahahahaha. Ok. 

Archived