Maccs done his job

Jetster

Now everything shifts to Todd Bowles. We all know Todd leans towards veterans. He learned that from Parcells. This is a huge year for Bowles. He made some monumental mistakes last year. I put everything on the head coach, not his subordinates. 

The Houston game plan was horrific! Losing to a QB that stepped off his couch is inexcusable in the league. He had to know that Revis was banged up in Buffalo but he left him on the island & Watkins single handedly KILLED US!

Not overruling that idiot special teams guy when he trotted out Smith on the kick return? (No one was harder on returners than Parcells. And Parcells quote, "rookies will lose you games" was on full display that night). Without that fumble/returned TD we win that game & probably go to the playoffs. 

Did Bowles learn something about this team last year? Will he get more involved in game planning on defense? Will he have the confidence in some of these young guys to develop quickly. Does he have an eye for young talent? It's going to be very interesting to see how some of these young have developed under Bowles, Leo, Pryor, Mauldin, Reilly, Catapano, Williams, Milliner, McDougle, Qvale, Harrison, ect. To compete with this tough schedule we need some guys OTHER than the veterans to make some game changing plays. He has a lot more depth than we've had in a while at safety, LB, Corner, Dline, WR, Amaro & Sudfeld are back, the Oline is a huge ?. 

He needs to have this team play like their hair is on fire with this schedule starting in the opener vs Cincy. When I look at that schedule, I say we can not afford to lose home games. Those are MUST WINS. He also has to get over the hump vs Rex & the Bills. They are a division rival & we lost both games last year while in position to win both games but couldn't overcome mistakes. Him & Chan have to come up with a game plan to beat him. They were a 6-10 team without those Jet gimmes. 2016 season is gonna be an exciting one, I can just feel it. There isn't a team on our schedule that we can't beat. There are a lot of teams on our schedule that WILL beat us if we turn the ball over. This story will be told after the 1st 7 games. If we're still fighting for the division after 7, hold on to your boot straps, those 2 Patriot games in the 2nd half of the season will be must see TV for the entire country. 

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Not overruling that idiot special teams guy when he trotted out Smith on the kick return? (No one was harder on returners than Parcells. And Parcells quote, "rookies will lose you games" was on full display that night). Without that fumble/returned TD we win that game & probably go to the playoffs.

All Smith had to do is take a knee in the endzone

Buffalo beat the Jets both times because of slow LB play. In the first game, the Jets could not stop the run as the holes could not be plugged by Demario and Harris. Davis was mostly out of position. Rex knew how to game plan. 

Bowles stopped the run in the next game. Rex took advantage of the lack of speed at LB by throwing underneath the blanket coverage. Very smart game planning by Rex as he knew the ins and outs of the Jets LB corps. Not really much Bowles could do there. Speed cannot be coached.

add in those brutal 4th quarter picks and it ends up a loss. 

As for the Houston game, most teams have a few bad days. The Jets had two last year.

What with the draft, and FA additions v.s FA losses, both the 2016 O and the D are at least equal to or better than their 2015 counterparts.  ST is what killed us last year, not the random bad game by our QB or our #1 CB, or our dinged up RB's.

I laugh at this SOS bull.  Those teams should be just as scared of us as some here think we should be scared of them.  If our ST's are functional we'll have another great season.            

bowles is stubborn.  He likes to "play our game"

if he doesn't adjust, get used to star players running wild on the NYJ

it was troubling after houston that it happened again in buffalo.  maybe that's just who he is

I don't see the Buffalo game as todd bowles' fault. Everyone played poorly that game. Every group, offense (ints, drops passes), special teams (shanked punt which basically handed them a td), defense slept walked the first half. 

They got hot, beat the patriots and thought it was a given that they'd be in the playoffa. I blame the players mostly for the final game. 

21 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't see the Buffalo game as todd bowles' fault. Everyone played poorly that game. Every group, offense (ints, drops passes), special teams (shanked punt which basically handed them a td), defense slept walked the first half. 

They got hot, beat the patriots and thought it was a given that they'd be in the playoffa. I blame the players mostly for the final game. 

It's always the coaches fault when teams sleep walk in what was for us a playoff game. We blamed Rex for Pittsburgh in 2010.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

It's always the coaches fault when teams sleep walk in what was for us a playoff game. We blamed Rex for Pittsburgh in 2010.

Over all Bowles did a nice job in 2015. As far as the finale in Buffalo, no letting the HC off the hook but the players bear much of the responsibility also.

43 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Buffalo beat the Jets both times because of slow LB play. In the first game, the Jets could not stop the run as the holes could not be plugged by Demario and Harris. Davis was mostly out of position. Rex knew how to game plan. 

Bowles stopped the run in the next game. Rex took advantage of the lack of speed at LB by throwing underneath the blanket coverage. Very smart game planning by Rex as he knew the ins and outs of the Jets LB corps. Not really much Bowles could do there. Speed cannot be coached.

As for the Houston game, most teams have a few bad days. The Jets had two last year.

We didn't have a "bad day " in Houston, we let the only player (Hopkins) that could beat us...beat us. Against a 3rd string QB at that. Say what you will about Belichick but he schemes best players & forces other guys to beat him. Sorry, this isn't rocket science, there isn't a Jet fan alive that didn't scream, "why aren't we shading help over the top" on that guy.

44 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

What with the draft, and FA additions v.s FA losses, both the 2016 O and the D are at least equal to or better than their 2015 counterparts.  ST is what killed us last year, not the random bad game by our QB or our #1 CB, or our dinged up RB's.

I laugh at this SOS bull.  Those teams should be just as scared of us as some here think we should be scared of them.  If our ST's are functional we'll have another great season.            

Agreed. It's no walk in the park for opposing Olines & the QB to have Mo, Sheldon, Williams, Harris, Pryor, Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist on the other side. Or Marshall, Decker & Forte with a veteran QB on offense.

Cincy will be missing their top TE & their stud LB when they play us. They also lost Marvin Jones & Sanu to free agency. Jets are just as good as Cincy, it's any bodies game, but we have home field & played very well at home last year. 1st game for Lafell & a rookie WR with Dalton in a noisy stadium vs a very good defense, I like our chances.

13 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Over all Bowles did a nice job in 2015. As far as the finale in Buffalo, no letting the HC off the hook but the players bear much of the responsibility also.

Rex got his team up while their bags were packed in the locker room without Shady McCoy. Any way you slice it that was a complete & utter disaster to end the season. I will give you that not having Powell KILLED US! Rex knew he didn't have to worry about Ivory or Ridley in the passing game. 

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

The Bills beat us the second game simply because they had nothing to lose...there were a few times they went for it on fourth down and caught us off guard i think once was fourth and long and yes we failed to stop them but no other NFL team would have made those calls...Rex had nothing to lose at that point and called that game as if he were a child playing madden 16. 

Well, I have to give Mac kudos here. A month ago I wanted him fired, but managing to Wilk signed long term was an incredible feat that I just didn't think would ever happen. Getting Fitz back and avoiding the alternative was the correct move. So really all in all, Mac did OK for the offseason.

Bowles, on the other hand, just as Jetster says, was NOT very good at all. I put the vast majority of the blame on Bowles shoulders for losing in Buffalo. The idea of stranding Fitz to go long in Buffalo all day long, in that wind no less, was stupidity. I could point to no less than two other major gaffes from that game. His challenges suck, he's marginal at best with time management. This is no Bill Parcells. So these constant articles pointing out how Bowles grew up from the Parcells tree is absurd. This apple fells MILES from the tree.

And really this season is not going to be very good any way, so Bowles is going to need to be at his very best. Strong coaching is the only way this team can be successful this season, because they do not have the horses. Unless Bowles gets much better at what he's doing, the fans and media are going to have field day with Bowles this season.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Rex got his team up while their bags were packed in the locker room without Shady McCoy. Any way you slice it that was a complete & utter disaster to end the season. I will give you that not having Powell KILLED US! Rex knew he didn't have to worry about Ivory or Ridley in the passing game. 

The roles were reversed in 2011, when Bowles's Dolphins knocked Rex's Jets out of the playoffs on the last game of the season.  It was meaningless for the Dolphins, but the Jets needed to win. Bowles got his team up while their bages were packed in the locker room.

41 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The roles were reversed in 2011, when Bowles's Dolphins knocked Rex's Jets out of the playoffs on the last game of the season.  It was meaningless for the Dolphins, but the Jets needed to win. Bowles got his team up while their bages were packed in the locker room.

That 2011 Jets team couldn't hold a candle to the 2015 squad.

Todd Bowles had a good year in his first year head coaching.

The Jets had the personnel to make the playoffs last year.   They were extraordinarily healthy, and history shows that regresses toward the mean.  They did not make the playoffs last year because of special teams (personnel and coaching) and bad coaching decisions in Houston and Buffalo.

If Todd wants a long term future, which would be great, he needs to tighten up his coaching.  Foremost, he can't play favorites, either veteran or high draft pick,  He needs to always put the best players on the field, and realize that an elite receiver not covered can single-handedly beat you.   

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

We didn't have a "bad day " in Houston, we let the only player (Hopkins) that could beat us...beat us. Against a 3rd string QB at that. Say what you will about Belichick but he schemes best players & forces other guys to beat him. Sorry, this isn't rocket science, there isn't a Jet fan alive that didn't scream, "why aren't we shading help over the top" on that guy.

The Jets had their best defender in the secondary on Hopkins. Once again speed cannot be coached. Hopkins had 5 catches for 116 and two TD's. Most of the yards came on the big bomb. He is an excellent WR. Please note that the D had little pass rush that day and the O was banged up. Hopkins also out muscled Marcus Williams on the second TD. There was no call on the play.

I don't know how much you can blame the coach on that day. Still Bowles did make changes as the Jets won the next 5 games. You are entitled to your own opinion however, not your own facts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000586237/article/deandre-hopkins-revels-in-his-trip-to-revis-island

30 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That 2011 Jets team couldn't hold a candle to the 2015 squad.

The point is Rex with more talent than Bowles lost when the game meant nothing t the Dolphins.  Brilliant Rex didn't even know Holmes was benched.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

To me wins and losses just like business results are a collective effort. Blame goes around for coaches and players, but I do believe that in sports the blame should fall more on the players, than the coaches.

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Mac and Bowles provide the best football management this franchise has had in years.

Agreed. I think Bowles is smart enough to learn from his mistakes. He knew he needed more speed & Macc has drafted more speed. Can't wait to see the type of attacking defense he plays when he gets these young LBs up to par. Probably killed him last year watching DD take all those bad angles. I hope we keep this continuity for 10 years & find our franchise QB.

You know Rex is gone if he doesn't make the playoffs, especially bringing his dopey brother in there. Tanny in Miami won't last, Brady can't play forever, it's about time the Jets get a chance to dominate the division.

Macc has played everything right this season in terms of free agency and contracts. He got Fitz on a short-term deal. Matt Forte was a great pickup IMO as long as the leg injury doesn't linger..  I'm glad he was able to come to an agreement with Mo, I really didn't expect that to happen, and a 5 year agreement that theoretically still allows them room to keep Sheldon and Leonard Williams.    Just gotta hope these draft picks pan out now...

Bowles had some head scratching moments, chalk it up to being a rookie. There should be a noticeable difference though in his game prep and adjustments though...but truthfully I think it'll be year three where he really hits his stride. He's a good coach with a good temperament. We should really give him the time to grow that we would allow a promising QB. it takes time to put all the pieces in place to build a winning football team. 

On July 30, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Maybe I'm cray, but it looked to me like Fitz puked up the Buffalo game

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

Maybe I'm cray, but it looked to me like Fitz puked up the Buffalo game

Agreed, him among others. Which is why I put less blame on Bowles for that game. But the Houston game, holyyy shiiit. I felt the Jets were out coached that game.

On 7/30/2016 at 8:53 PM, Jetster said:

Now everything shifts to Todd Bowles. We all know Todd leans towards veterans. He learned that from Parcells. This is a huge year for Bowles. He made some monumental mistakes last year. I put everything on the head coach, not his subordinates. 

The Houston game plan was horrific! Losing to a QB that stepped off his couch is inexcusable in the league. He had to know that Revis was banged up in Buffalo but he left him on the island & Watkins single handedly KILLED US!

Did Bowles learn something about this team last year? Will he get more involved in game planning on defense? Will he have the confidence in some of these young guys to develop quickly. Does he have an eye for young talent? It's going to be very interesting to see how some of these young have developed under Bowles, Leo, Pryor, Mauldin, Reilly, Catapano, Williams, Milliner, McDougle, Qvale, Harrison, ect. To compete with this tough schedule we need some guys OTHER than the veterans to make some game changing plays. He has a lot more depth than we've had in a while at safety, LB, Corner, Dline, WR, Amaro & Sudfeld are back, the Oline is a huge ?. 

He needs to have this team play like their hair is on fire with this schedule starting in the opener vs Cincy. When I look at that schedule, I say we can not afford to lose home games. Those are MUST WINS. He also has to get over the hump vs Rex & the Bills. They are a division rival & we lost both games last year while in position to win both games but couldn't overcome mistakes. Him & Chan have to come up with a game plan to beat him. They were a 6-10 team without those Jet gimmes. 2016 season is gonna be an exciting one, I can just feel it. There isn't a team on our schedule that we can't beat. There are a lot of teams on our schedule that WILL beat us if we turn the ball over. This story will be told after the 1st 7 games. If we're still fighting for the division after 7, hold on to your boot straps, those 2 Patriot games in the 2nd half of the season will be must see TV for the entire country. 

Good post. Rookie HC definitely made some mistakes and got out-coached a few times. Let's hope he's the opposite of Rex, who would rather lose his way than win someone else's way. Come to think of it, maybe Rex's gut was like Samson's hair...

Archived