Jets' Todd Bowles on Brandon Marshall-Darrelle Revis skirmish: 'It's not charm school'

Gas2No99

The guy who Marshall is probably most comparable to is Owens.  TO played 15 seasons compared to 10 for BM (9 really since he barely played his first season).

If, and it's a big if, you project Marshall out even 5 more years, his numbers will be very similar to TO.  He'll have more catches, similar yards and less TDs.  One thing that might work against Marshall is no playoffs but hopefully that will change soon.  An opportunity to shine in playoff games would be a nice resume builder.  One thing that helps is leading the league in TDs last season (first time leading league in either TDs or Yards and I believe that is or should be an important stat for HOF consideration).

Ultimately, BM is a bit of a compiler, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (Curtis Martin), but it would greatly help his cause if he had one more monster season and made the playoffs.  Wouldn't hurt our collective heart health either.

[edit: I forgot he led league in TDs last season]

8 minutes ago, daquix said:

Correct.

Those numbers are not HOF worthy.

What is HOF worthy?? Lets see is you know who this is..He never had more then 61 catches in a season or a 900 yd year and played for the Steelers.. He made the HOF in 2001..

2 minutes ago, daquix said:

[various things]

You'll do better here if you drop the hyperbole.  First of all, starting your posting career by saying you're laughing at people isn't going to earn you any rep.

A better way to say this is that he's still a ways off from being in the discussion, but also acknowledging that the trajectory he's on does give him a decent shot if he continues.  It's just a matter of saying what you think without trying to demean others who don't agree. 

Dude,

You are way off base.

Just because I disagree that Brandon friggin Marshall is a HOF means i'm a scumbag Pat fan?

Wow.

I'm done debating with you.

Good day.

No, your know it all tone and the brand new account is the giveaway, genius.

Do you think we were born yesterday?

17 minutes ago, daquix said:

What is HOF worthy?

Depends on when you played.

A player from the 70's or 80's who have 500 receptions in their career could be HOF worthy.

A players from the 2000's is going to need 800+ receptions.

It changes based on the era because different times = different emphasis.

Take Lynn Swann and Andre Reed for example.

Not great stats, but its because they played in a time where rushing was still huge.

So voters take that into account.

WR's from 2010 and on are going to need some GAUDY stats.

People need to stop thinking like fans and start thinking like NFL Voters.

Or NFL GM's.

HOF WR's in their prime don't get traded for 5th round picks.

I like Marshall - Don't get me wrong. But he's not HOF. Not even close.

Swann played after guys like Maynard who was putting up 12-13 hundred yd seasons when Namath was in HS.. Passing didn't just start in the last 30 years, however there was a time when teams only played 12 or 14 game seasons..(Plus the rule changes helping the offense)That also affected the stats of some old time players..Starting in 1960 the AFL was a huge passing league that's what made me a Titan fan when the AFL started..

Dude,

You are way off base.

Just because I disagree that Brandon friggin Marshall is a HOF means i'm a scumbag Pat fan?

Wow.

I'm done debating with you.

Good day.

I dont even care if Brandon Marshall ever makes it to the hall of fame, but you are definitely a masshole.

1 hour ago, daquix said:

Correct.

Those numbers are not HOF worthy.

Obviously your a Pats fan troll lurker it's the only type we have here. 2 more years & Marshall will be probably in the top 10 of most categories. Not only that but compare the QBs that Marshall has played with & WRs that are in the HOF! Plus those old coots didn't have free agency & played in the same system for years. 

Just having the most 100 catch seasons should get him in alone. Do you know how durable you need to be to do that? Wes Welkers brain is mush, Edelmans will be mush too soon. You picked the wrong topic to come out from under your rock. Come back when you really have a case to claim.

3 hours ago, daquix said:

You're right - My words could have been better.

Hmmmmmm this HOF WR thinks that Brandon Marshall will be a HOF..

Just saying it is not as clear cut as you might believe....

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Michael-Irvin-Brandon-Marshall-Is-a-Hall-of-Famer/ef884615-56c9-441e-8420-24348e39a9b8

When he wasn’t fighting, Darrelle Revis showed what’s left in tank

When he wasn’t fighting, Darrelle Revis showed what’s left in tank

Overshadowed by his fisticuffs with Brandon Marshall Friday was the fact that Darrelle Revis is back.

Any concerns the Jets had that his surgically repaired right wrist might hamper Revis’ game were answered during the practice when Revis repeatedly got the best of Marshall — a six-time Pro Bowl pick and former All-Pro — in individual and team drills.

Revis, who had surgery late in the spring, had only returned to contact practice earlier this week.

“For sure, he’s back,” Marshall said of Revis after Friday’s practice. “He’s just got to get his feet underneath him. He’s seeing everything amazingly. He’s breaking up a lot of balls.

“It’s just a matter of time before he’s the Darrelle of old,” Marshall added. “We’re expecting big things out of him again. Obviously, he’s the best corner in the league.”

Revis probably will struggle at times against the NFL’s speediest receivers like he did last year with the Texans’ DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins of the Bills, but Jets coach Todd Bowles said he likes what he sees from the 31-year-old Revis so far in camp.

Obviously, he’s getting better,” Bowles said. “He’s out there taking more [practice repetitions], which is the big thing. I knew he could use his hand. His rep count and everything he does as far as his wind is important. We expect him to be ready.”

The Jets will hold a night practice Saturday instead of the usual Green & White scrimmage favored by previous coaches.

Bowles said he doesn’t like full-contact scrimmages in the preseason, and that’s especially true this year with the Jets’ bye week not coming until mid-November.

We’ve got a bye after Game 10 this year,” Bowles said. “[Scrimmaging] would be hard to do to veterans, because you would be cut-blocking and things like that. We’re not going to cut each other.”

Running back Matt Forte continues to be sidelined by a hamstring injury, and the Jets remain fuzzy about his potential return.

Forte, who suffered the injury running on his own last month while getting ready for camp, had been working out in pads early in camp but went through his rehabilitation program Friday inside in shorts.

At this point, Forte’s availability for the Sept. 11 season opener against the Bengals is not guaranteed.

“He’s day-by-day, week-by-week, but more day-by-day at this point,” Bowles said. “It’s camp. A lot of people get nicked up. He got a full workout inside today. He hasn’t had any setbacks.”

Backup safety Ronald Martin is being excused from camp for the birth of his child.

Rookie fourth-round pick Juston Burris made a couple of nice plays in coverage, most notably an interception of a Geno Smith deep ball down the sideline intended for fellow rookie Charone Peake in 11-on-11s. Unfortunately for Burris, he was shaken up on a hit later in practice and did not return.

Safety Calvin Pryor intercepted a sideline throw by Ryan Fitzpatrick in 11-on-11s thanks almost entirely due to what appeared to be the lackadaisical effort of Fitzpatrick’s intended receiver, tight end Jace Amaro. The Jets need more intensity from the third-year pro.

New special teams coordinator Brant Boyer continues to make his presence known. Boyer is no wallflower and usually can be found stalking the sidelines and getting into the face of any of his special-teams charges he thinks are underperforming.

Forte (hamstring), TE Zach Sudfeld (knee), CB Dexter McDougle (hamstring), RB Bernard Pierce (hamstring), RB S Ronald Martin (personal) and WR Kyle Williams (leg) did not practice.

5 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Love every bit of this....

Coach Bowles is committed to building a bully 

I hope not. Bullies are ones that only pick on those known to be so much weaker they can't fight back. Bullies don't show up to or succeed in fair (even) fights, let alone ones in which they might be overmatched. So no offense, but I hope you're wrong ;) .

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I hope not. Bullies are ones that only pick on those known to be so much weaker they can't fight back. Bullies don't show up to or succeed in fair (even) fights, let alone ones in which they might be overmatched. So no offense, but I hope you're wrong ;) .

Yeah, but can you beat up Bas Rutten, huh, huh?

Archived