Fitz Rated 25th out of 33 NFL QB's

peekskill68

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Right...that's why he's the starter.

Geno inching ever so closely to surpassing Brett Ratliff as the best pre-season QB in team history.

Of course, while Fitz closes in on that HoF induction ceremony.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Of course, while Fitz closes in on that HoF induction ceremony.

Right...If I have to listen to another one of these posters saying Fitz belongs in the HOF I'm gonna' lose it.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

How does Carr, Winston, and Bortles rank behind Fitz?  All 3 are twice the QB Fitz is now, has been, or ever will be.  I think Winston threw for like 4000 yards last year more then Fitzy.  So he is more like 28 out of 33 QB's, and one could make the case that backups like Jimmy G, Chase Daniel, are also better then him.

How could one make that case?   They've hardly played and there is zero basis for that case!!!

Fitz is the best QB the Jets have had since Chad.  There was an article somewhere today comparing him to Rich Gannon, who had a similar career and then became elite at 34 and an MVP at 37.  We can only hope.  He surely benefitted from Marshall and Decker, but the defense also knew exactly where he was going with the ball and he still put up great numbers and won 10 games (albeit against a weak schedule). 

Also, nice to hear Geno's looked good in camp.  With the recklessness in Fitz's game, I think we may need Geno for some games this year.  I'm hoping he benefitted from sitting and watching a year.  After being forced to start before he was ready with terrible weapons and lousy coaching, maybe the IK punch was not only good for the Jets, but ultimately good for Geno too.

41 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I'm not a homer if Tannehill was actually good I would admit it.  He's not he's a stat guy who can't win and doesn't respond well to adversity.

Tannehill is a worse deep ball thrower than Fitz in spite of having a better arm.  That's why Mike Wallace had to leave Miami.  Mike Wallace's yards per catch went from 21.0 and 16.6 in '10-'11 with Roethlusberger to 12.7 and 12.9 in his two seasons with Captain Checkdown

How about 2012 and then 2015? Im not a fan of Tannehill and wish him nothing but failure, of course, but he's still better than Fitz. Fitz had NEVER won more than 6 games prior to last year. Would you take a stats guy who can't win or a non-stats guy who can't win (save for an aberration year last year).

Just now, j4jets said:

How about 2012 and then 2015? Im not a fan of Tannehill and wish him nothing but failure, of course, but he's still better than Fitz. Fitz had NEVER won more than 6 games prior to last year. Would you take a stats guy who can't win or a non-stats guy who can't win (save for an aberration year last year).

Fitz 2015 was miles ahead of Tannehill at his best but tannehill still has a higher ceiling.  This will likely be the last year of tannehill in Miami though.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

th?id=OIP.M881e8984e49066240a8c59a8d0cb9

Grow up already.

Shlt, you can't keep on topic.  You hijack a Fitz thread and turn it into a Geno and Geno fan bashing to divert attention from Fitzs poor ranking.  Your guy.  The best QB since Namath.  Then use a stupid picture as a lame attempt to divert that too. 

How in the world were you ever a mod? 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Fitz supports know exactly what Fitz is generally.  The 25th ranked QB, a journeyman, a mediocre guy whose primary skills are leadership, mentoring our future QB's, and holding down the fort with a base-level of competitiveness till Hack is ready (if he's ever ready).  We expect him to do whats on the tin, provide the "best chance" at the playoffs this year of the QB's on our roster, and if he fails, he should and will be benched for it.  We're under no illusions as to who and what Fitz is.  If he blows chunks this year, I doubt many of us who preferred Fitz will be overly surprised.

Yeah, you're gonna have to explain the FitzGannon contingent to me, then. Lol. 

Doesn't matter, though. Fitz is the starter. The only thing that will remove him from the starting lineup is an injury. Next year, both he and Geno will likely be gone. Geno, definitely. Fixing Hackenberg and preparing him to start is the major behind the scenes project for the next 13 months. 

4 minutes ago, vicmill said:

Fitz got his 12 mil because he played chicken better than MAC and Mac blinked first.  There were no other offers out there and Fitz would have eventually signed for what was being offered.

QFT

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Because it would be "same old Geno".  

To not be "same old" you'd have to have actually had some success, Geno hasn't.

And mistakes (especially costly ones or turnovers) would nullify the primary argument of Geno supporters, that "with this talent" if we "just give him a chance" and "see what we have in him", he'd be a DIFFERENT Geno Smith.

Fitz supports know exactly what Fitz is generally.  The 25th ranked QB, a journeyman, a mediocre guy whose primary skills are leadership, mentoring our future QB's, and holding down the fort with a base-level of competitiveness till Hack is ready (if he's ever ready).  We expect him to do whats on the tin, provide the "best chance" at the playoffs this year of the QB's on our roster, and if he fails, he should and will be benched for it.  We're under no illusions as to who and what Fitz is.  If he blows chunks this year, I doubt many of us who preferred Fitz will be overly surprised.

But yes, this debate isn't going anywhere this year.  We'll be lucky if we're not still hammering it about this time next year, even after/if Geno is cast aside.

You have no clue what Fitz is.  At least your posts which are all over the planet say you don't.  First he's the best since Namath.  Then he's the best chance for today.  Or is he the 25th rank QB.  A journeyman, mediocre? 

Then when you thought Geno was going to start your mantra was if the Jets with Geno don't win 10 or more and make the playoffs the seasons a failure.  Geno's a failure.  Now Fitz can go 8-8 but that's ok, schedule is tough.  

Youre inconsistency is funny. 

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because the whole team, INCLUDING FITZ, did suck.  Can't be more clear than that.

295 total yards and 22 points allowed in a game the offense ended 3 straight drives with ints (19 points prior to the ints). 4.0 yards per play, 2 sacks, fumble recovery. They probably sucked on D, but sign me up any day for that. 43 rushing attempts and gave up 2.6 yards per rush. Not sure where the discrepancy is. Its not the D's fault if the offense only converted 3 third downs, and complete only completed 43% of their passes with 3 ints while averaging 7.2 yards a rush on 17 attempts.

The only thing we didn't have going for us was our passing game. Im ok with giving up 182 yard of passing to the Bills and I really dont care if all of them were against Revis.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You have no clue what Fitz is.  At least your posts which are all over the planet say you don't.  First he's the best since Namath.  Then he's the best chance for today.  Or is he the 25th rank QB.  A journeyman, mediocre? 

Then when you thought Geno was going to start your mantra was if the Jets with Geno don't win 10 or more and make the playoffs the seasons a failure.  Geno's a failure.  Now Fitz can go 8-8 but that's ok, schedule is tough.  

Youre inconsistency is funny. 

Being the best since Namath and a journeyman are not mutually exclusive descriptions.

Warfish may not be right, so to speak, but it's absolutely possible for it to be a true statement. It would mean that we've had nothing but sh*t for 40 years, and Fitz is the best we've had since Namath, even if he's only mediocre. All Fitz has to be is better than 40 years of sh*t.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Being the best since Namath and a journeyman are not mutually exclusive descriptions.

Warfish may not be right, so to speak, but it's absolutely possible for it to be a true statement. It would mean that we've had nothing but sh*t for 40 years, and Fitz is the best we've had since Namath, even if he's only mediocre. All Fitz has to be is better than 40 years of sh*t.

I get that it can be.  Point is he's all over the place, can't stick with a story.  Chad, Vinny were better.  And I may be off but I'd take O'Brien at his best over the one season we saw of Fitz.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that it can be.  Point is he's all over the place, can't stick with a story.  Chad, Vinny were better.  And I may be off but I'd take O'Brien at his best over the one season we saw of Fitz.

The bold are your opinions. His is different. This has nothing to do with sticking with a story, it's a difference of opinion.

What if his story did change? People spend hours daily yelling the same debate points at each other over and over... and nobody usually budges regarding a change in mindset... so what if the arguing changes his mind? Then, he expresses his new mindset, and gets accused of not sticking with his story???

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We would all love for Geno to beat Fitz but it's just an idea. A fantasy you fanboys have created in your minds and will not let go of.

The adults have moved on from the Geno idea after bearing witness to the real Geno for two years.

Fitz is a pro and can guide the team well until a franchise QB steps up to take it from him. Hopefully that guy is on the team, but it's far from likely that it's Geno. 

lol, whats funny is, Fitznutz actually believe Geno was supposed to light it up with Hill, Holmes and Nelson as his primary targets. Last I remember, Fitz has never beat Geno in the camp and only got the starting gig cuz Geno got sucked punched. And Fitz then proceeded to break his own record of 6 wins a  season, albeit against the leagues worst D. However, it came crashing down to earth against a lowly, deflated, injured Bills D coached by one of the worst HC of the decade.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No way. But maybe Marshall and Decker are the best the team's had since Sauer and Maynard, or Walker and Toon, or ever. 

2 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Fitz has never been beat by Geno.

Wrong

All off-season we had to endure this Fitz v. Geno debate. It's over. The coaching staff and front office made the call. 

Doesn't mean Fitz will get a free pass the entire season.

All off-season Geno fans demanded promises that if Geno became the starter that everybody would fall in line behind them. Nobody said otherwise. Yet now the same group of people can't do the same. There's no more argument. Fitz is the starter. Period. You can't rewrite what has happened and what is happening to satisfy your fandom.

lol, who did? And for the record, nobody wants Fitz to fail. I hope he doesn't lose a single game. But I know he will. Having an opinion has nothing to do with hoping the team wins. Frankly, for $12mil, Fitz better outplay his 2015 season. It would be a shame if we had a $12mil backup QB.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

No way. But maybe Marshall and Decker are the best the team's had since Sauer and Maynard, or Walker and Toon, or ever. 

Yea, I'm not agreeing with the point. Just explaining logic to the other guy.

And no question about M+D

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Haven't you heard, Fitz is actually better than Namath cuz he has better stats?

Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick responds to annual ESPN QB poll that had him ranked 25th 

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

Ryan Fitzpatrick admits he's not a 'combine QB' as he responds to latest ESPN QB rankings.

(HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

Ryan Fitzpatrick was dripping with sarcasm upon hearing the news that ESPN had just released its annual quarterback rankings, fully aware that he wasn’t going to sniff the respect reserved for the usual suspects.

“Where was I?!” he asked with faux excitement.

When I broke the news that 42 unnamed league insiders comprised of coaches and front office executives concluded that he was the NFL’s 25th best quarterback, his sarcasm went into overdrive.

“That’s pretty typical, right?” Fitzpatrick told me. “It’s amazing that I’ve been the worst quarterback in the league for the last 11 years and somehow I’m still in the league. It’s amazing how that happens, but it happens every year.”

Technically, there were eight signal callers below Fitzpatrick (more on them later) in the four-tiered rating system. Fitzpatrick was near the bottom of Tier 3 described as a “legit starter, but needs heavy run game/defense to win.”

Fitzpatrick, who will start Thursday’s preseason opener against the Jaguars after missing the entire offseason due to a protracted contract stalemate, has been called much worse. His mindset, however, hasn’t changed: He’ll forever be supremely confident regardless of perception.

“Let’s say each team puts their top three quarterbacks out there: 32 teams, 96 quarterbacks,” Fitzpatrick said. “And you line us up all in shorts and you put ski masks on us and have us throw. I’m going to be in the 90th or lower (percentile), I’m sure.”

“But I almost pride myself on that, because I’m not a Combine guy,” he continued. “I’m not a guy that got recruited out of high school. I’m not a guy that was a first-round pick. I’m not a coveted free agent. I’m just a guy that comes in and works my tail off and tries to do my job.”

Ryan Fitzpatrick comes in No. 25 among QBs despite last season's career year.

Ryan Fitzpatrick comes in No. 25 among QBs despite last season's career year.

(EZRA SHAW/GETTY IMAGES)

He’s also the perfect quarterback for Todd Bowles right now given the roster makeup. He makes the most sense for a veteran team. He’s always made the most sense for the Jets.

He doesn’t want to classify himself even though Brandon Marshall has labeled him an “elite” quarterback coming off his 3,905-yard, 31-touchdown season.

“Brandon is in the world of the media,” Fitzpatrick said. “He loves tagging words and giving you guys stories. But I don’t care.”

Fitzpatrick doesn’t have the resume or jewelry like ESPN’s three-man top tier (Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger), but some of the quarterbacks ranked ahead of him are head scratchers.

Fitzpatrick is too classy to pick apart the final rankings, but I’m certainly not.

These league insiders almost certainly factored in long-term upside, but the order is a highly debatable.

Matthew Stafford is 14th (INSERT EYE ROLL HERE). Jay Cutler is four slots ahead of Fitzpatrick (INSERT HEARTY LAUGH HERE). Ryan Tannehill too? Please, people.

Ryan Fitzpatrick knows he needs to work on getting his completion percentage above 60%.

Ryan Fitzpatrick knows he needs to work on getting his completion percentage above 60%.

(ELSA/GETTY IMAGES)

At least the pollsters had the good sense to rate Fitzpatrick higher than Tyrod Taylor (unproven), Brock Osweiler (rich), Sam Bradford (physically/mentally brittle), Colin Kaepernick (regressing), Blaine Gabbert (Blaine Gabbert), Mark Sanchez (turnover prone), Robert Griffin III (underachieving/injury prone/logo) and Case Keenum (lost).

It all serves as fuel for Fitzpatrick, who plays with a belief that he’s one of the best at his profession.

“It’s not just me,” Fitzpatrick said. “I need to have everybody on this team believing that when we get the ball – whether it’s a two-minute drive or at the end of the game – that I’m the guy they want to be there and I’m the guy that’s going to lead the team to a win. The most important thing is that belief that it’s going to happen. At the end of the year last year, that started coming. Maybe there were some situations early in the year, where we just didn’t capitalize. Then we got on a nice roll at the end of the year. But you’ve got to prove that over and over and over again every year.”

There’s plenty of room for growth even at 33. He wants and needs to be more accurate after completing only 59.6 percent of his passes. “Not acceptable,” Fitzpatrick said. “I need to be above 60, I know that. The completion percentage has to come up.”

He aims to improve on third downs and in the red zone. He wants to take fewer sacks, which is as much a product of his offensive line play as anything else. He also hopes not to take off and run as much a year after he required in-season thumb surgery thanks to a Week 3 scramble in Oakland.

“I always think to myself that I need to run less, but it just depends. If it’s a good look…” Fitzpatrick said before pausing. “I’ll try to be a little more careful this year, because I don’t want to play one handed again.”

Fitzpatrick is too valuable for a team ready to win now. His first season with his sixth team showed plenty of promise. Only five quarterbacks won more regular-season games than he did in 2015. He firmly believes his best is on the horizon.

Perception fuels him. It even makes him laugh from time to time.

Manish at his best...    

It's human nature to take the past and extend it into the future.  If Fitz  has been a middle of the road journeyman his whole career, people bias their views of how he is currently playing with that belief.  If Geno has been an immature mistake prone turnover machine he will be so now and in the future as well, etc.  It works both ways too.  Ranking Brees at #5 may be biased  and based more on his level of play in years past vs. what he is showing now...

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Grow up already.

Shlt, you can't keep on topic.  You hijack a Fitz thread and turn it into a Geno and Geno fan bashing to divert attention from Fitzs poor ranking.  Your guy.  The best QB since Namath.  Then use a stupid picture as a lame attempt to divert that too. 

How in the world were you ever a mod? 

Cute-Crying-Baby-e1443595490631.jpg

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The bold are your opinions. His is different. This has nothing to do with sticking with a story, it's a difference of opinion.

What if his story did change? People spend hours daily yelling the same debate points at each other over and over... and nobody usually budges regarding a change in mindset... so what if the arguing changes his mind? Then, he expresses his new mindset, and gets accused of not sticking with his story???

Chad and Vinny led their teams, with their play into the playoffs.

Where they won games.  Chad carried the team into the playoffs with a huge win blowing Favre and a really good Packer team. 

Fitz had a chance, at the 14 to take tha lead and finally make the playoffs and imploded.  Not opinion, fact.  

Calling peop,e out, acting the pompous ass, insisting and then changing his mind without a single snap is kind of douchy 

I don't see a problem with the ranking. Fitz had a bottom 5 schedule last year, good receivers and a top 10 defense, yet couldn't get his team to the playoffs despite help. He basically failed on the back of poor performances against good defenses. So Fitz therefore is like a tier 4 QB in that even with support he can't succeed. Resigning a bottom QB like Fitz is folly and fool's gold, but this Jets staff hasn't shown good QB acquisition acumen. 

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Cute-Crying-Baby-e1443595490631.jpg

You're reeling now.  Baby pictures.  They sure make them sensitive in Virginia or wherever you come from.

But then again you really have no options.  

Geno needs to win 10 plus and make the playoffs, your guy is fine at 6-10 or 8-8.  But he's the best since Namath.  Pathetic response is a picture.  Sucks when your own hypocrisy bites you in the ass.  

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Chad and Vinny led their teams, with their play into the playoffs.

Where they won games.  Chad carried the team into the playoffs with a huge win blowing Favre and a really good Packer team. 

Fitz had a chance, at the 14 to take tha lead and finally make the playoffs and imploded.  Not opinion, fact.  

Calling peop,e out, acting the pompous ass, insisting and then changing his mind without a single snap is kind of douchy 

Dude, I am not arguing over the credibility of his statement. I'm pointing out to you that two of the things he said are not mutually exclusive.

To me, not having a grasp on logic, then scolding people for making logical statements, is kind of douchey.

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're reeling now.

What's next, gonna pull a Villian and tell everyone how you "owned me".  Best of luck with that my friend.

They sure make them sensitive in Virginia or wherever you come from.

Says our leading furious crybaby.  "Boo hoo why you say Geno!"

Geno needs to win 10 plus and make the playoffs, your guy is fine at 6-10 or 8-8.

Geno doesn't "need" to do anything, he's the backup.  He needs to backup.

Fitz needs to play QB better than any other QB on the roster could in the eyes of the GM and Head Coach.  

If he fails to do so, he'll be benched, or should be.  

But he's the best since Namath.

Best ever at throwing TD passes in a single season in a Jets Uniform, actually.  2nd best at passing yards since Namath (3rd best overall).

I'm sure you have "advanced" stats that say otherwise, of course.  

Pathetic response is a picture.

No, a picture of a whining little brat suits you perfectly IMO.  No "irony" required.

Sucks when your own hypocrisy bites you in the ass.  

If only you knew what that word means.  You don't, but that's par for the course with you.

Here, let me help you:

Full Definition of hypocrite
1:  a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2:  a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings
hypocrite adjective

The phrase you're seeking is "inconsistent".  As in, "your argument/position/opinion is inconsistent".

Of course, my argument is not inconsistent at all, be it Fitz, or Geno, they both need to play better than the other QB's on the roster could in the eyes of the Head Coach, or they should be benched.  Fitz gives us the best chance to win for now, and for that to remain the case will be on Fitz's play, Geno's play in practice, and Bowles opinion of Fitz/Geno.  I don't have "win totals required" for either player, because both are likely to be elsewhere in 2017 no matter what I say or think.

Archived