The Fall of An Empire: The Demise of the Patriots

Mecca

I bleed green and white, Jets colors flood through my veins. I won't deny that. However, I pride myself on my ability to see things logically and rationally. When I research NFL rosters, I look for depth charts that POP out to me. Teams that have a plethora of players I'm fond of, a young nucleus, and relatively injury free. 

When I look at the AFC East, the evil empire known as the Pats just don't POP off the screen like they have in years past.

Let me explain.

- Dion Lewis is out for the 1st half of 2016. Lewis was an integral part of the Patriots offense when they were at their climax. James White simply isn't the player Lewis is. 

- Chandler Jones is in Arizona and Ninkovich is going to be out for around half the season. Where is the pass rush this season?

- Of course, we all know Tommy boy is out for the first 4 games of the season.

- Julian Edelman has been getting banged up all off-season and is coming off a variety of injuries.

- I believe the offensive line has a few injuries already as well. The line was an issue last year. If it's worse this year, they will be in major trouble.

- They didn't have a 1st round pick this year. 1st round picks are immediate rotational players in 2016. Imagine if we didn't have Lee?

The AFC East is wide open this year. If the Patriots begin the year at 1-3, I seriously believe we can compete for a divisional crown. 

I dunno, the people in NE think they are a 12 win team. LOL

The territorialism between Brady and Garrapolo this preseason was interesting. Divisiveness is good for them. They deserve it. 

I don't have to imagine what it's like to not have a first rounder... I've been here through Gholston, Milliner, Coples, Wilson... enough whiffs the past few years to last a lifetime!

I believe the Bills will be much better than people think. T-Mobile doesn't turn the ball over. Shady will be healthy, and they have a solid offensive line. If Rex can get that defense churning, I believe they're just as talented as we are. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Lesson of the decade right here boys. NFL Network has them as the better D-line, O-Line, Secondary and Offense. I was baffled by the analyst when they said Patriots had the best D LINE in the AFC east 

New England's linebacking core is SERIOUS. Tight End/QB play is the best in football as well. But, outside of that, there isn't a positional group they have that's more talented than what we have.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lesson of the decade right here boys. NFL Network has them as the better D-line, O-Line, Secondary and Offense. I was baffled by the analyst when they said Patriots had the best D LINE in the AFC east 

Well that's just stupid.  They actually might have the worst in terms of talent but that's one area where it's not even close.

2 minutes ago, Mecca said:

New England's linebacking core is SERIOUS. Tight End/QB play is the best in football as well. But, outside of that, there isn't a positional group they have that's more talented than what we have.

They just traded Chandler Jones but some how their core beats out Wilk, Sheldon and Williams? C'mon. These guys on NFL Network are jokes...especially the biggest Jet hater of them all.. Heath Evans

1 minute ago, Jets Daily Dosage. said:

Their safeties and linebacker situation is still very good. The quarterback play of course is still excellent. The offensive line is where I see them really struggling. I think Brady is gonna be running for his life back there in all honesty

Chung had a career year last season, but I wouldn't say New England's safety play is much better than the Jets. Pryor is still evolving, and Lee is more of a SLinebacker than a true LB.

11 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I believe the Bills will be much better than people think. T-Mobile doesn't turn the ball over. Shady will be healthy, and they have a solid offensive line. If Rex can get that defense churning, I believe they're just as talented as we are. 

This is another yearly tradition. 

Watch out for the Bills this year. They're circling the wagons. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

This is another yearly tradition. 

Watch out for the Bills this year. They're circling the wagons. 

No. Logic tells me they

A. Have a QB that doesn't turn the ball over and is an elite runner.

B. Have a top 5 RB in the NFL

C. Have a top 8 WR in the NFL

D. If the defense is improved, they will be a better team. Will depend on Rex.

6 minutes ago, Jets Daily Dosage. said:

Their safeties and linebacker situation is still very good. The quarterback play of course is still excellent. The offensive line is where I see them really struggling. I think Brady is gonna be running for his life back there in all honesty

Welcome back stud !  Don't worry about OL ... The Brady holding allowed rules will go into effect week 5 !!!

3 minutes ago, Mecca said:

No. Logic tells me they

Sorry but people have been saying various forms of this for 10 years straight now. 

3 minutes ago, Mecca said:

No. Logic tells me they

A little bit of a nitpick, but I think it's a real stretch in both cases to call Watkins a top-8 WR or McCoy as a top-5 RB.  They are both probably only a few spots below those numbers but that's at best.

I am reminded of a famously negative stock market prognosticator who, when introduced on a business news channel, was described as someone having accurately forecast eleven of the last two stock market crashes.

Eventually the Pats will do into a deep and prolonged decline.  I too hope that the decline will be this year this year but I expect it will not be until Tommy hangs them up and BB decides to do the same shortly thereafter.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

A little bit of a nitpick, but I think it's a real stretch in both cases to call Watkins a top-8 WR or McCoy as a top-5 RB.  They are both probably only a few spots below those numbers but that's at best.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Shady, AP, Gurley, Johnson, Bell are the top 5 in football. No order. 

AB, OBJ, Julio, Hopkins, Marshall, AJ, ARob, and Dez are the top 7 receivers in football. I can make the debate that Watkins is #8. 

5 minutes ago, Mecca said:
5 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Shady, AP, Gurley, Johnson, Bell are the top 5 in football. No order. 

AB, OBJ, Julio, Hopkins, Marshall, AJ, ARob, and Dez are the top 7 receivers in football. I can make the debate that Watkins is #8. 

You do realize you listed 8 WRs and I'd agree those are the top-8.  Throw in Cooper, Mike Evans, Jordy Nelson, Alshon Jeffrey and maybe one or two others who are certainly in the same mix as Watkins for the next tier.  No hate for Watkins, he's just not elite yet.

And as for the RBs, Elliott is a rookie but he's going to be top-5 this year, which would push McCoy out, but I could see an argument either way. 

We've been reading "Demise of the Patriots" articles and posts since 2008. As long as Brady and Belichick are there, I'll have the Pats penciled in for 12 wins. Until he falls off a cliff physically a la Peyton Manning, there's no reason to assume the Pats will take a step backward. 

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You do realize you listed 8 WRs and I'd agree those are the top-8.  Throw in Cooper, Mike Evans, Jordy Nelson, Alshon Jeffrey and maybe one or two others who are certainly in the same mix as Watkins for the next tier.  No hate for Watkins, he's just not elite yet.

And as for the RBs, Elliott is a rookie but he's going to be top-5 this year, which would push McCoy out, but I could see an argument either way. 

This is one of the strangest debates I've ever been a part of. Ok, Watkins is #9 in my rankings then. Alshon is injury prone, Jordy off a torn ACL, Evans and Amari coming off the dropsies last year. Watkins would be a top 5 receiver if he was in a more wide open passing attack. 

RB's. I agree with Elliot, but lets wait until we see him for a year before tossing him into the top 5.

2 hours ago, Mecca said:

Let me make this clear: I don't believe the Patriots are a 6 win team. I think they regress into a 10-11 win team, making the divisional crown possible.

A 1-2 game regression?  That is bold!!! ;-)

The reality is, it doesnt matter what happens to the roster because they're cheaters.  And unfortunately in the NFL, cheaters not only prosper but they also become the darlings of the league.

It's strange sh*t. 

Archived