Why was this game so close?

Freemanm

46 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

For the most part, all those QBs will be right where the Defensive line expect them to be and that includes Alex Smith .  The Pain in the rear is going to be Wilson who plays similar to Taylor . We need discipline in the defensive backfield and we will be fine .

Though a concern, I'm less worried about the scrambling Wilson and more worried about the big QB arm + big WR combos we have coming our way. 

Clearly, the way to beat the Jets is to hit the home run, go big, go deep, and the Chiefs, Seahawks, Steelers, Cardinals can all excel in that area.

SAR I

37 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

My viewpoint is that it's better to be good than lucky. I'm hoping we have built some confidence here. Coaches and players. We have been playing a little like we're afraid to lose. The 4th quarter we played a lot more aggressive than we have in the past under Bowles. You play to win the game.

Remember back in 2009/2010 when we were winning games by the skin of our teeth, and our opponents were dropping interceptions like crazy. Make some big plays then try to hang on and hopefully run that clock out. 

Now it feels as though we just need enough time and we will wear down our opponents. It's a better feeling to me. You can fix mistakes, but you can't fix lack of talent. 

I don't remember opponents dropping INts like crazy in 2009/2010.  we won some close games(good teams win close games) and we won some blowouts.

I think we will be fine once we get these mistakes cleaned up.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't remember opponents dropping INts like crazy in 2009/2010.  we won some close games(good teams win close games) and we won some blowouts.

I think we will be fine once we get these mistakes cleaned up.

Just ran updated "dropped interception" numbers. Mark Sanchez has 15. No other quarterback was above EIGHT (!)

Brandon Marshall's dropped pass concerns me.  His drop last week would have been a crucial first down on that last drive.  This week it was an even easier catch, right in his hands.  Not sure what's up with him but they said he put the gloves on afterwards.  Either get something sticky on your hands or wear the gloves, Brandon. 

Other than that, this is all about giving up the big pass on 3rd down.  Used to be it went to a TE and we were helpless to stop it.  This week it was the bomb.  The part that I find troubling is that we really didn't get pressure on Taylor last night.  Fix that, and I think we can hide a lot of the secondary issues.

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Just ran updated "dropped interception" numbers. Mark Sanchez has 15. No other quarterback was above EIGHT (!)

There were a lot of picks dropped those years by opposing defenses. But those Jet teams were very talented. The O-Line was probably the best in the league during that 2 year span, the D was legit, and we had playmakers on O.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

We have a potentially dominant D with a huge achilles heel.  If we can't fix our secondary we are in deep trouble.

Tyrod Taylor is one thing, I don't think I need to remind you what gunslingers are on the horizon.  Okay, I'll do it-  Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson, and if it makes you feel better the weaklings are Joe Flacco and Alex Smith.

SAR I

+ Luck, Brady twice, and Tyrod again ... 

You know who complains about not winning by enough?

Patriot fans.

This Jets team is 18 games into the Mac/Bowles regime. Over 50% of the roster has been turned over in under 2 seasons. To make mistakes, and still fight to preserve the win, on the road, in Buffalo, against Rex and a division rival that has beaten us 4 straight times. I'll take it.

What we saw in this game was our ceiling and floor in a nutshell. When we are mistake free, we are borderline dominant. When we make mistakes, they are the types of mistakes that usually cost you the game (because we're the Jets).

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's close b/c the jets can't generate big plays on offense.  no big tds.  that means it allows the other team to keep pace with big plays.

Big plays are fun, but they put your defense right back on the field. Long methodical drives wear the opposing D down and make them your bitch in the 4th quarter.

39 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

that stat was BS, most of those were diving attempts.  he had 2 INts credited to him against GB that weren't INts and he had a ton of dropped passes from his WRs.  

23 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You know who complains about not winning by enough?

Patriot fans.

This Jets team is 18 games into the Mac/Bowles regime. Over 50% of the roster has been turned over in under 2 seasons. To make mistakes, and still fight to preserve the win, on the road, in Buffalo, against Rex and a division rival that has beaten us 4 straight times. I'll take it.

What we saw in this game was our ceiling and floor in a nutshell. When we are mistake free, we are borderline dominant. When we make mistakes, they are the types of mistakes that usually cost you the game (because we're the Jets).

It wasn't really close, Buf scored a garbage time TD.  we completely took control of that game after Buffalo took the 24-20 lead.  A huge positive is that building was electric, the momentum was all on the Bills side and we were composed and just dismantled them the rest of the way.

Just now, nyjunc said:

It wasn't really close, Buf scored a garbage time TD.  we completely took control of that game after Buffalo took the 24-20 lead.  A huge positive is that building was electric, the momentum was all on the Bills side and we were composed and just dismantled them the rest of the way.

Okay. Scoreboard.

4 minutes ago, bergenjets said:

Big plays are fun, but they put your defense right back on the field. Long methodical drives wear the opposing D down and make them your bitch in the 4th quarter.

big plays are fun, and they can create separation between teams.   an inability to create big plays usually results in close games.  

How often does Brady make a big play since the days of Moss?

I loved what we saw the Jets do on offense after they shook off the early game jitters. There were plenty of big chunk plays last night, they just didn't get into end zone on them. If Marshall doesn't facemasked, that would have been one.

10 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic over the win, but by every statistical measure, the Jets dominated and this game should have been a blowout. It should have been over halfway through the 3Q t the latest. Is it because it's the Jets? 

The TD to Salas was a good play by Tyrod Taylor. He faked a scramble, Williams bit and Salas got wide open. Marshall's fumble was a freak thing. There were also some bad penalties, particularly the hold on Clady in the third negating a big pass to Decker. 

We also have to talk about the alcoholic in the family, if you will. Darrell Revis. I honestly think he's done. We saw him get burned a few times last season and said, "oh, he's Revis, he just had a rare bad game..." We can't say that anymore. He got torched again, this time by a no-name receiver. He played scared against an injured Sammy Watkins. Marcus Williams and Buster Skrine, imo, are playing worlds better than him. Maybe make them the #s 1 & 2? Should Revis be cut before the end of the season?

Revis is not Revis of old. This is plain to see. But he didn't have an awful game. Not nearly as bad as the Cincy game. Yes, one of the fastest players in the NFL beat him on a go route for a TD. Sammy Watkins had 2 catches for 10 yrds. The Salas bomb was primarily the fault of R.Miles. You can't expect Williams to hold man coverage that long and Miles was responsible for help. He misread the play as Taylor scrambled and Salas did a great job adjusting and getting open. If you look at the whole game, if you look at the numbers and Revis' responsibilities he really did not play a bad game. Take away that bomb to Goodwin (84yrd TD pass) and Revis did his job. Apart from that, Goodwin did nothing. Salas had 4 catches 89 yards. Take away the 71 yrd broken play that resulted in a TD and Salas did not do much either. I'm just saying, before we start talking about the 'wheels coming off' lets look at the game as a whole. Yes, Revis LOOKED bad. But again, he did his job- FOR THE MOST PART. I'm not making excuses for Revis. Yes, for the way he is playing he is grossly overpaid. But that's not what we are talking about here.

The way I look at it, just like every great shot blocker will get posterized once in a while, every great CB will get burned once in a while. Just like a no name uber dunker can posterize a Mutumbo, an uber speedster like Goodwin can burn a Revis. 

This was not a blowout b/c AGAIN (and this is something I am starting to get more concerned with) the Jets did not capitalize early on in the Red Zone like they should have. This was not a blowout b/c the Jets AGAIN gave up BIG PLAYS over the top. You would think that is mostly on the safeties- I don't know why they do not get more blame. Maybe its play-calling and where Bowles is asking them to play, I don't know.     

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that stat was BS, most of those were diving attempts.  he had 2 INts credited to him against GB that weren't INts and he had a ton of dropped passes from his WRs.  

The proof is that since 2010 he has become a turnover machine. 

2010 was an aberration because he should have been picked 25 times.  

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The proof is that since 2010 he has become a turnover machine. 

2010 was an aberration because he should have been picked 25 times.  

he has always turned it over even in 2010 but he was outstanding that season for us and got credited w/ 2 INts which were terrible calls against GB.  

Archived