Why the focus on Fitz the biggest disappointment is the defense.

Jetsbb

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I agree with you. but they're doing that because Richardson is our best athlete on the DL and at 300lbs is a better athlete than Mauldin- who will be gone after the season.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maudlin doesnt force them to do anything because he doesnt play. His in the game 3% of the time.  Like Henderson...yet, they both makes plays when they are in the game. 

This goes back to the Bowles favorites thing.  How have you not seen enough of Harris trying to cover and Richardson trying to play OLB?

I'm gonna strongly agree with JiF here on both.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'm gonna strongly agree with JiF here on both.

The Jets have struggled with drafting edge players. Richardson has been kicked outside on passing downs because he's their best athlete. It really shouldnt be understated how poor of an athlete Maludin was coming out of school. He was overdrafted.

Just now, Matt39 said:

The Jets have struggled with drafting edge players. Richardson has been kicked outside on passing downs because he's their best athlete. It really shouldnt be understated how poor of an athlete Maludin was coming out of school. He was overdrafted.

Playing out of position really doesn't help anyone.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

That all star d-line though......

Is smartly neutralized by a quick strike passing attack.  The d-line has certainly been disappointing, but I think a lot of it is attributable to them basically being game-planned around, and us literally having no one who can cover (including our $17M corner).

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

lame excuse.  get stops, the O wasn't bad yesterday against an actual big time D.  

Yes they were.  And the defense was bad too.  This isn't either or.  The only points scored on offense in the 2nd half were literally by accident.  And Fitz threw what, 3 picks?  He also had a fumble that was miraculously our only TD.  That is very, very bad.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Yes they were.  And the defense was bad too.  This isn't either or.  The only points scored on offense in the 2nd half were literally by accident.  And Fitz threw what, 3 picks?  He also had a fumble that was miraculously our only TD.  That is very, very bad.

I am not a Fitz guy as most people know but let's be fair.  That 2nd INt was not his fault and the last one was in garbage time.  he had the one bad one but they were facing the best secondary in the league(minus our 2nd best WR) and a top 2-3 overall D.  We didn't lose b/c of Fitz yesterday(we did at KC obviously).  we lost b/c of the D and awful coaching.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I am not a Fitz guy as most people know but let's be fair.  That 2nd INt was not his fault and the last one was in garbage time.  he had the one bad one but they were facing the best secondary in the league(minus our 2nd best WR) and a top 2-3 overall D.  We didn't lose b/c of Fitz yesterday(we did at KC obviously).  we lost b/c of the D and awful coaching.

Fitz's performance was a negative, not a positive.  And it was only garbage time because we wasted time-outs, and there was no chance of scoring.  There were many opportunities to get back into that game.

10 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

The problem on defense is that every coach but stupid rex figured out how to attack our defense before the season began and we have yet to figure out a way to combat it. When you have an aggressive defensive front you just need to alternate between stretching the defense vertically and then hitting them with short passes. The short passes get the ball out before the rush hits and the long routes ensure the secondary isn't around to catch up to the short routes. 

This situation is aggravated by poor play in the secondary and uneven play at LB but coaching has to take a huge amount of the responsibility for not doing a better job planning around and adjusting to this strategy. We're a quarter of the way through the season. It's time to figure this sh*t out.

No one thinks "offensive guru" with regards to Rex, and meanwhile they scored 24 points on us without both starting tackles and with the dangerous Sammy Watkins - Jet killer in our prior matchup - more or less useless. Also on what may have been a scoring drive, a league mandated concussion protocol took Taylor's head out of the game (no pun intended) so Manuel had to take snaps. Taylor was visibly pissed he was taken off the field and it may have influenced him trying to score 20 "I'll show you" points on 1 deep (intercepted) pass despite only needing 1 yard. But even without that drive, the injuries were plenty significant enough, not to mention that game's ridiculousness/drama with Rex & Lynn on their sideline. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

of course I have....but they're doing it because the personnel sucks. Richardson's their best athlete on the DL, including the edge guys. The idea was fpr Mauldin to be the edge guy but.... Maybe if Maccagnan knew he shouldnt draft edge players who run the 3 cone like they have pianos on their backs, we wouldnt be talking about this. Richardson on the edge is out of necessity. Harris is playing because his contract is massive.

The personnel doesnt suck.  They have a ton of talent.  Could you imagine this team in the hands of a real DC?  

It's up the coaching staff to figure out how to use them.  For some reason, he doesnt feel the need to play Maudlin, yet every time he's in the game, he's running down the QB. Say what you want about his speed, he gets after the QB.  He probably cant cover but he's never been asked to because he just doesnt play.  That's on Bowles or Rodgers or who ever you want to point the finger at. But playing Richardson out of position because he's a better player/athlete, even though he hasnt show he can play OLB, doesnt make a lick of sense.  Richardson chasing TE's down the seam?  GTFO with that, my god, how easy.

I dont think Maudlin's 3 cone has anything to do with Bowles refusal to give him a real look.  He has his guys and they're going to play even if they shouldnt.  Like Harris. Henderson is clearly the better player at this point.  If he's not playing him because of money, well, we have our answer right there on Bowles and we saw it last year with Cro as well. 

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Fitz's performance was a negative, not a positive.  And it was only garbage time because we wasted time-outs, and there was no chance of scoring.  There were many opportunities to get back into that game.

The key turnover which really ended the game was Fitz doing the backshoulder throw twice consecutively to Marshall.  It was the third time he tried it in like 7 passing attempts

Yeah, an all pro CB like Sherman will eventually pick that off

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

The personnel doesnt suck.  They have a ton of talent.  Could you imagine this team in the hands of a real DC?  

It's up the coaching staff to figure out how to use them.  For some reason, he doesnt feel the need to play Maudlin, yet every time he's in the game, he's running down the QB. Say what you want about his speed, he gets after the QB.  He probably cant cover but he's never been asked to because he just doesnt play.  That's on Bowles or Rodgers or who ever you want to point the finger at. But playing Richardson out of position because he's a better player/athlete, even though he hasnt show he can play OLB, doesnt make a lick of sense.  Richardson chasing TE's down the seam?  GTFO with that, my god, how easy.

I dont think Maudlin's 3 cone has anything to do with Bowles refusal to give him a real look.  He has his guys and they're going to play even if they shouldnt.  Like Harris. Henderson is clearly the better player at this point.  If he's not playing him because of money, well, we have our answer right there on Bowles and we saw it last year with Cro as well. 

The problem is again we have 0 pass rush.

$100 million for Wilkerson yet we cannot breathe on Wilson for 3.5 quarters

9 minutes ago, gEYno said:

why did we waste TOs?

15 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Who are we kidding here the Jets last 8 first round picks have been defensive players. This is supposed to be a team that relies on the defense to win games no a bunch of free agent old offensive players we got on cheap trades. This defense is allowing over a 100 QB rating to every QB they have face so far. The secondary has to be the worst in the league and you want to know the funniest part? Todd Bowles was a secondary coach! If he cant have at least a well coached secondary then wtf is his purpose? To make terrible time management calls and stare off into space all game? Bowles got so lucky with that cupcake schedule last year bought himself another couple of years but no way he lasts not knowing how to coach up a secondary.

9 interceptions in his last 85 passing attempts, he deserves to be the focus.  BTW, I'm not letting the defense off the hook,the pass defense has been awful.  However, Fitz has been off the charts bad.

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The O wasn't bad yesterday? It's second best play was a fumble...

facing a real top D.  we were in that game  our D couldn't get stops against banged up Seattle w/ that weak Ol when our biggest strength is our DL.

Just now, nyjunc said:

facing a real top D.  we were in that game  our D couldn't get stops against banged up Seattle w/ that weak Ol when our biggest strength is our DL.

"a real top D..."

See, this argument is really annoying. The Jets beat themselves, AGAIN. So, the notion that the 'real top D' caused the same mistakes to be made that occur against non 'real top Ds' seems simplistic and invalid.

The Seattle D is not the SB Ravens D. It's not the 1985 Bears defense. It's a good defense, but we beat ourselves with critical mistakes, just like we did on defense. Stupid penalties weren't caused by the Seattle D. Critical DROPS are unforced errors.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I agree our d couldn't get stops and yet going into the 4th Seattle had only scored 17 points, the chiefs gave up 22 in 1 quarter. The offense started to drive the ball and then gave it away leading to a Seattle TD. Maybe the defense was demoralized at that point. Seattle's D didn't look amazing our O just looked inept.

Basically in the last two games when we needed a boost from our star players we didn't get it. And mostly I'm talking about Fitz. He was not terrible yesterday but when we needed him to lead the team and be great he threw a game changing pick. He has shown no ability to lead the team from behind. Instead he has done the opposite. Do I want to bench him. Hell no because if other players were putting us in a position to win like they did last year we can win with him. So I don't change at Qb for another month at least unless he plays another game like he did vs KC. He had three picks yesterday but only one was significant or his fault. If we continue playing .250 football then I give Geno a few starts. But I believe we will win some of these games. 

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

"a real top D..."

See, this argument is really annoying. The Jets beat themselves, AGAIN. So, the notion that the 'real top D' caused the same mistakes to be made that occur against non 'real top Ds' seems simplistic and invalid.

The Seattle D is not the SB Ravens D. It's not the 1985 Bears defense. It's a good defense, but we beat ourselves with critical mistakes, just like we did on defense. Stupid penalties weren't caused by the Seattle D. Critical DROPS are unforced errors.

The Seattle D of the past few years belongs in the conversation w/ those other all time great Ds.

Our O played damn good for a while in that game, that is a tough D to crack.  they are everything our D should be.

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I agree our d couldn't get stops and yet going into the 4th Seattle had only scored 17 points, the chiefs gave up 22 in 1 quarter. The offense started to drive the ball and then gave it away leading to a Seattle TD. Maybe the defense was demoralized at that point. Seattle's D didn't look amazing our O just looked inept.

The D cannot get demoralized especially when they were the main culprits why we were trailing.  

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Basically in the last two games when we needed a boost from our star players we didn't get it. And mostly I'm talking about Fitz. He was not terrible yesterday but when we needed him to lead the team and be great he threw a game changing pick. He has shown no ability to lead the team from behind. Instead he has done the opposite. Do I want to bench him. Hell no because if other players were putting us in a position to win like they did last year he can win with him. So I don't change at Qb for another month at least unless he plays another game like he did vs KC. He had three picks yesterday but only one was significant or his fault. If we continue playing .250 football then I give Geno a few starts. But I believe we will win some of these games. 

Sure turn the team over to Geno Smith when the players will be all packing it in most will be hurt and then expect him to win with crummy roster full of rookies and old veterans that arent hurt. 

The time is now MAKE A CHANGE AT QB if not Geno then Petty if he's hurt lets see Hack!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, nyjunc said:

Our O played damn good for a while in that game, that is a tough D to crack.  they are everything our D should be.

"damn good..." They had ONE good drive. Beyond that, it was squandered opening drive, and nothing else...

The Seattle D has talent. But, really, we made the same mistakes we've made against EVERY D we've played, except for Buffalo's.

Just now, nyjunc said:

The Seattle D of the past few years belongs in the conversation w/ those other all time great Ds.

The D cannot get demoralized especially when they were the main culprits why we were trailing.  

Yeah, the D was poor, but you aren't going to win many games these days scoring 1 td and 1 fg, and how often can you fumble it for 40 yards and a td.... Our O did not play "damn good" they were luke warm at best.

This team has the talent to be dominant on the defensive side of the ball.  How do you know that Alex Smith is a dink and dunked, yet play 5 to 7 yards off the line the majority of the game.  How is it possible for that explosive defensive line to be disruptive if you are giving the opposing QB a free pass in less than one second.  How did Pittsburgh deal with Alex Smith?  They came after him, and pressed the receiving threats.  This isn't rocket science.  Bowles plays scared and it's ruining this defense.  

The defensive failure is solely on Todd Bowles.  

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The defense is tired from always being on the field this team goes 3 and out more often that not 

come on dude.. seattle touched the ball for the first time in the first quarter and they went right down and scored. being tired doesn't come into play until later in the game.

So the newest excuse from the Geno fans is that if he does get starts later in the season the team won't play hard for him. Because they will have packed it in.What a crock. So why not Geno being a leader and doing the most with his opportunities instead of as in the past playing even below the talent level of his teammates. I don't buy this or any excuses for Geno at all. I don't blame him because he's not whining in advance like his fans are Even though that Instagrram by him was very bush league. Like he's rooting for Fitz to play poorly. If he gets a chance to play let him come in and play good football and no excuses. We had injuries yesterday too and were starting two rookie Wrs and had no receiving tight end. And the running back was injured and only gained 20 something yards. This was a key reason we were not competitive yesterday.  Hopefully we get ASJ in the lineup soon. Like to see what he can do. 

Um, that was ONE guy. So not his "fans".

But, yeah, I agree, the Instagram was in poor taste and does bring to question his leadership ability.

that said, I'd be annoyed if I lost my job to injury, never to have a chance to get it back when the long-standing protocol in sports is that the starter NEVER loses his job permanently due to injury, with notable exceptions. And, clearly Ryan Fitzpatrick is NOT Lou Gehrig.

Archived