Petty "close" to returning, per Bowles

AFJF

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You have to have a good team to beat good teams. Look if Fitz was on the Seahawks on Sunday and Wilson on the Jets who would have won the game. What he's guilty of was being only a fair Qb when we needed a very good Qb. He did not like against Buff take us over the top. But when your defense can't cover and gives up big plays consistently that's not his fault. And his receivers did not make great catches (except maybe Marshall on one play) and the Seahawks receivers did. Jets receivers dropped balls they could have caught for potentially big plays. Let's see how things go on Sunday. None of us are optimistic. 

More excuses. He consistently under threw receivers, or was missing throws and making bad throws. The defense held the Seahawks to 17 points through 4 quarters until Fitzpatrick's game changing int. The offense could not put up points. The defense held the Chiefs to 10 points. The offense scores 3 points. They held the Bengals to 23 points. The defense has their issue but when you are holding teams to low scores you cant give them most of the blame. With better QB play no one would care about what the defense is doing. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

You cherry pick by focusing only on the receivers.  The Jets do not have a first string TE on the roster even now, and what RB's did Petty play with?  And as mentioned above the Jet bench for OL is particularly weak.

THe main point remains.  It is an unbalanced and inaccurate picture to say someone like Petty was playing against scrubs without acknowledging who he was playing WITH.

Well then it won't be much of a change when he shifts from playing with backups to playing with starters lol.

24 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Fitz and Geno will be gone next year, and Hack will have one year and Petty will have two years of experience. They will be competing (with probably another QB or 2) for the starting and backup jobs. You will get your clarity at the end of TC next year.

In the meantime, if the Jets don't win 2 or the next 3 games, you are likely going to get some of that clarity sooner than that.

Don't dismiss the possibility of Fitz returning. He may not be returning in the same capacity, since his delusions of being paid like a decent starter (or one with a potential future) will have been laid to rest. There's a decent chance they'll still want a non-Geno veteran on the team, and if they really have confidence in Petty following this season it could be a QB like Fitz.

In a perfect scenario they'd bring in a veteran who will seriously compete for the job, rather than the Brunell II role Fitz would furnish. A veteran that won't cause them to pull their collective hair out if Petty loses to him head-to-head. If he loses to Fitz (however likely or unlikely) they have serious problems. If Petty lost to someone like Glennon, then ok it's still a tall, young, strong-armed QB with potential to get much better who's starting the season. Not what they'd hoped the result would be, but not a tragedy like if Fitz beat out both Petty and Hackenberg.

Anyway I think they move on from Fitz as you do. But don't be shocked if he's brought back in the original role MM wanted him: starter in 2016 then backup/mentor after that.

17 minutes ago, August said:

More excuses. He consistently under threw receivers, or was missing throws and making bad throws. The defense held the Seahawks to 17 points through 4 quarters until Fitzpatrick's game changing int. The offense could not put up points. The defense held the Chiefs to 10 points. The offense scores 3 points. They held the Bengals to 23 points. The defense has their issue but when you are holding teams to low scores you cant give them most of the blame. With better QB play no one would care about what the defense is doing. 

No excuses he wasn't good but neither was the team. And the game plan was to base everything around the running game and that didn't work. Holding a team to 23 isn't good defense. He didn't lose the Cincy game he did lose the KC game. On Sunday the Jets were outplayed by Seattle all the way around esp at Qb. Jimmy Graham killed us and our TE got one target right to him and he dropped it. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't dismiss the possibility of Fitz returning. He may not be returning in the same capacity

I'd expect (if things don't materially change), he will be cut in 2017.

If he improves, he will likely be retained as a #2 for 2017.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well then it won't be much of a change when he shifts from playing with backups to playing with starters lol.

Don't dismiss the possibility of Fitz returning. He may not be returning in the same capacity, since his delusions of being paid like a decent starter (or one with a potential future) will have been laid to rest. There's a decent chance they'll still want a non-Geno veteran on the team, and if they really have confidence in Petty following this season it could be a QB like Fitz.

In a perfect scenario they'd bring in a veteran who will seriously compete for the job, rather than the Brunell II role Fitz would furnish. A veteran that won't cause them to pull their collective hair out if Petty loses to him head-to-head. If he loses to Fitz (however likely or unlikely) they have serious problems. If Petty lost to someone like Glennon, then ok it's still a tall, young, strong-armed QB with potential to get much better who's starting the season. Not what they'd hoped the result would be, but not a tragedy like if Fitz beat out both Petty and Hackenberg.

Anyway I think they move on from Fitz as you do. But don't be shocked if he's brought back in the original role MM wanted him: starter in 2016 then backup/mentor after that.

Unless Fitz has more games like he did against KC, he is going to want to be a starter and will go where he can start. Only after the season has started and he is still sitting idle do I think he takes a backup job. IMO.

18 hours ago, jamesr said:

In Petty's case, the guys he was throwing to in preseason are on the field now, rather than flipping burgers - Peake, Anderson, J Marshall (when healthy again). So he has some familiarity there (which our own #1 QB admitted NOT having this week ...). Plus our TE addition is new to everyone, so no real advantage there for the incumbent.

Yes, opposing front sevens will be much tougher, but he'd also have our starting O line rather than a bunch of guys who are now flipping burgers. The main difference will be the coverages being a lot tighter than pre-season. Hopefully if they do put him in they do their best to scheme some more simple plays for him, and also let him take some deep shots to keep the defense from loading up to stop the run.

(Mmmmmm ... burgers! :eusa_drool:). 

I don't think tighter coverage is a problem since some/most/all of our WR's have been open a good deal of the time and Sixpatrick, having locked on to his guy, doesn't seem them.   

39 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No excuses he wasn't good but neither was the team. And the game plan was to base everything around the running game and that didn't work. Holding a team to 23 isn't good defense. He didn't lose the Cincy game he did lose the KC game. On Sunday the Jets were outplayed by Seattle all the way around esp at Qb. Jimmy Graham killed us and our TE got one target right to him and he dropped it. 

You hold a team to 23 points that IS good defense. In an NFL where teams have potent offensives. I never said he lost the Cincy game but he was a big reason why we lost that game. Ineffective offense and not being able to put points on the board. Despite Seattle outplaying the Jets, the game was still winnable. 

The Quarterback: Ryan Fitzpatrick had another difficult day at the office, finishing 23/41 for 261 yards with 3 interceptions and 1 touchdown. He is now 31st in the NFL in completion percentage, 24th in yards per attempt, and a distant first in interceptions. He has been the worst starting quarterback in the league through the first quarter of the season.

The interceptions, ironically, may be the least of Fitzpatrick’s problems right now. It is his continued inaccuracy and poor field vision which is dooming the Jets offense.

http://turnonthejets.com/2016/10/new-york-jets-passing-game-breakdown-week-4-seahawks/#more-34015

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think it depends on how well Petty does in relief (and this presumes he gets enough of a chance on the field this year).

If Petty looks very shaky himself, I think they go in a Glennon-esque direction (not necessarily Glennon himself but you know what I mean) for their veteran QB.

If Petty looks pretty good or better - good enough that in the offseason & through the draft Maccagnan is comfortable rolling with him to start in 2017 - then there's a decent chance they bring him back. 

There's a good chance pride prevents him from drafting a 1st round QB so soon after Hackenberg, but I don't know the guy well enough personally to make that judgment for certain.

40 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Unless Fitz has more games like he did against KC, he is going to want to be a starter and will go where he can start. Only after the season has started and he is still sitting idle do I think he takes a backup job. IMO.

If Fitz has more games (games, plural) like he did against KC he'll be out of football for good before this season comes to an end.

If he merely gets benched prior to improving I think he'll have even fewer chances at a starting job,or even promises to compete for a starting job, which is to say he'd have none. His next best hope of starting will be finding the natural place in the Cycle of Fitzpatrick graphic after the original starter flops or gets injured, or sit out the season and wait for a team to lose their starter for the season, and then the 2nd string QB goes down as well, like Dallas in 2015.

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

You cherry pick by focusing only on the receivers.  The Jets do not have a first string TE on the roster even now, and what RB's did Petty play with?  And as mentioned above the Jet bench for OL is particularly weak.

THe main point remains.  It is an unbalanced and inaccurate picture to say someone like Petty was playing against scrubs without acknowledging who he was playing WITH.

I wasn't trying to knock your argument, I was agreeing with you. :-)

What I was saying was, if you put him in now he will have some familiarity with the guys he was throwing to in pre-season, it's not like he has to start over and try to build chemistry with the starters, a few of our starters ARE the guys he played with in pre-season. And Petty has as much chemistry with ASJ as Fitz / Geno / Hack, because he's a new add to the team.

On Sunday Fitz said he was throwing to guys like Peake who he hadn't thrown to much in camp ... Petty wouldn't have such an issue with that as he worked with those guys quite a bit already. And he did pretty well with them, as I recall.

Just hope his time out injured hasn't set him back too much, but I doubt they'd turn to him until after the Arizona or Baltimore games anyway. So time yet to get him back throwing and ready to start if things continue the way they have gone so far.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

While we hope Petty and Hackenberg could be a solid 1 and 2 next year, the odds of that for both are between slim and none.  By the time the Jets get to camp next off season, FA and the draft will have already occurred. When before camp will they get a chance to assess whether Hackenberg has improved enough to be a solid backup? 

Having said that it is entirely possible the Jets go a different direction.  More likely FA or a trade than a high pick, really a first round pick to be ready to play, for a Qb.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

While we hope Petty and Hackenberg could be a solid 1 and 2 next year, the odds of that for both are between slim and none.  By the time the Jets get to camp next off season, FA and the draft will have already occurred. When before camp will they get a chance to assess whether Hackenberg has improved enough to be a solid backup? 

Having said that it is entirely possible the Jets go a different direction.  More likely FA or a trade than a high pick, really a first round pick to be ready to play, for a Qb.

I think you have Petty playing for a #1 / #2 spot next year, and Hack playing for a #2 / #3 spot. Still need two more guys in camp, and at least one who can be a legit #1.

5 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I wasn't trying to knock your argument, I was agreeing with you. :-)

What I was saying was, if you put him in now he will have some familiarity with the guys he was throwing to in pre-season, it's not like he has to start over and try to build chemistry with the starters, a few of our starters ARE the guys he played with in pre-season. And Petty has as much chemistry with ASJ as Fitz / Geno / Hack, because he's a new add to the team.

On Sunday Fitz said he was throwing to guys like Peake who he hadn't thrown to much in camp ... Petty wouldn't have such an issue with that as he worked with those guys quite a bit already. And he did pretty well with them, as I recall.

Just hope his time out injured hasn't set him back too much, but I doubt they'd turn to him until after the Arizona or Baltimore games anyway. So time yet to get him back throwing and ready to start if things continue the way they have gone so far.

You referred to Petty in pre-season throwing to receivers who did make the roster.  My point was most of the rest of the players on the field for the Jets O are scrubs.

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I think you have Petty playing for a #1 / #2 spot next year, and Hack playing for a #2 / #3 spot. Still need two more guys in camp, and at least one who can be a legit #1.

Yep.  Which will most likely be Fitz or another vet by trade or FA.  The Jets may well draft another Qb as well, but the odds of them getting someone in the draft who would be solid even as a #1 (and that makes the HUGE assumption that Petty will be the starter AND determined to be so by the end of THIS season) is very small.

The best thing for the future of the team is for Fitz to continually play badly and get benched. That would have him off the team next year (hopefully) and then give Petty or maybe hack (if petty implodes or gets injured) to get game experience. I would only give Geno playing time if the FO thinks he has a chance to be starter next year (highly doubt this is the case). If petty/hack look reasonable they get shot at starting job, sign hoyer as vet back-up. If petty/hack and entire team implode we get top 5 pick and should have a shot at one of the top Qbs next year.  

Worst case scenario is fitz plays better, plays whole season, Jets get 6-9 wins, no playoffs. Then we have middle of the pack draft pick, FO may bring fitz back as starter again (please god no). no game experience for the young guys. 

Fitz's contract is voided on the first day of the off-season.  He will not be a Jet next year.  Neither will Geno.  So we ride with Petty, Hack and maybe another draft pick for next year.  I wish it would start next week, and not next year.  I need a reason to watch this disaster.

5 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Fitz's contract is voided on the first day of the off-season.  He will not be a Jet next year.  Neither will Geno.  So we ride with Petty, Hack and maybe another draft pick for next year.  I wish it would start next week, and not next year.  I need a reason to watch this disaster.

Tank for Watson and sign Mike Glennon

43 minutes ago, August said:

You hold a team to 23 points that IS good defense. In an NFL where teams have potent offensives. I never said he lost the Cincy game but he was a big reason why we lost that game. Ineffective offense and not being able to put points on the board. Despite Seattle outplaying the Jets, the game was still winnable. 

The Jets gave up big plays esp to AJ Green that day even though we had like 7 sacks. Not too many sacks since then and the D is constantly putting us in a hole giving up big plays. Just when you think you have them stopped they give up a big play. I thought the game we were most outplayed in was against Seattle. 

23 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

We were the only team that offered Fitz a contract last offseason

Yeah he'll most likely get a backup gig somewhere next year but I would not be shocked if Fitz was out of the NFL

I am not disagreeing with you. Looking from the outside in, it is obvious to most observers. But, athletes are like Geno apologists (or Sanchez apologists, or Fitz apologists) there is always a reason they didn't succeed. In their minds they can be starters and so, even if the only hope is to be a backup, he will likely sit out hoping for a miracle. If an athlete doesn't know that he can compete (without a doubt), he can't. To get this far he has to be confident in his abilities (even if they aren't there).

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

The Quarterback: Ryan Fitzpatrick had another difficult day at the office, finishing 23/41 for 261 yards with 3 interceptions and 1 touchdown. He is now 31st in the NFL in completion percentage, 24th in yards per attempt, and a distant first in interceptions. He has been the worst starting quarterback in the league through the first quarter of the season.

The interceptions, ironically, may be the least of Fitzpatrick’s problems right now. It is his continued inaccuracy and poor field vision which is dooming the Jets offense.

http://turnonthejets.com/2016/10/new-york-jets-passing-game-breakdown-week-4-seahawks/#more-34015

on my phone or I would find a decent drop the mic gif.

Archived