Petty has to play

Jets723

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Let's table this until after the Bye .

It makes zero sense to do so. As he said, Fitz isn't going to be here next year. Let's see what we have with Petty and Hack. They can both make mistakes and learn from them this season  in a relatively stress free string of games for them

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Hack will never play for the Jets? Just you watch- he will be their starter next year- for better or worse, and you will be eating crow. 

Just curious, what makes you believe that, given what we've seen and heard to-date?

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Just curious, what makes you believe that, given what we've seen and heard to-date?

Simple. The Jets invested a 2nd round pick in him. He will have a full season on the bench. The Jets will have only Petty and Hack at the QB position after this season. So, I believe he will get a SHOT to compete for the starting gig. If you give him a shot, I think he can beat out Petty. 

Now, at this point we don't know who the 3rd QB will be. Will there be a trade for a veteran? Maybe Romo will join the Jets and be named starter automatically? Maybe another vet comes in and wins the job? Maybe a trade for Glennon happens and he wins the job? Maybe the Jets draft another QB (although I doubt it will be a high draft pick). I dunno, too many variables. But RIGHT NOW, I believe Hack will get a shot and I believe he will beat out Petty.  

On 11/7/2016 at 5:51 AM, Jetdawgg said:

Romo is now a zombie like those on that tv show. No way the Jets sign him

Signing Romo doesn't move this organization forward its spins our wheels in quick sand like we are doing now with Fitzpatrick enough of the retreads we need something close to a franchise QB. 

On 11/7/2016 at 10:12 AM, ChuckkieB said:

If the Jets intend to see what Petty can do, they have to start him THIS week at home against a beatable team to give him a little confidence and get him some positive game experience.  Giving him his first start against the Pats or the Colts is not the way to go, but when you have incompetent people making the decisions, I wont hold my breath.

I can understand not starting him against the Pats. But giving him time to prepare with the bye, then letting Fitz start against the Pats (a game we will surely lose) and THEN letting him play against the Colts with another week to prepare sounds fine to me. The Colts are not a very good team. Particularly the defense. The Rams have a solid defense and a great D-line. Why not give him a few extra weeks to get ready and play a weaker opponent, at a time when it will be even clearer that the Jets are completely out of playoff contention for this season? Why rush him and have him face a tough defense, at a point where the coaches may still believe the Jets have  chance- as laughable as that may sound...   

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I can understand not starting him against the Pats. But giving him time to prepare with the bye, then letting Fitz start against the Pats (a game we will surely lose) and THEN letting him play against the Colts with another week to prepare sounds fine to me. The Colts are not a very good team. Particularly the defense. The Rams have a solid defense and a great D-line. Why not give him a few extra weeks to get ready and play a weaker opponent, at a time when it will be even clearer that the Jets are completely out of playoff contention for this season? Why rush him and have him face a tough defense, at a point where the coaches may still believe the Jets have  chance- as laughable as that may sound...   

He should start Sunday against the Rams and continue starting after the bye week against the Patriots we need to stop coddling QB's here so far it hasnt worked for nothing. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Signing Romo doesn't move this organization forward its spins our wheels in quick sand like we are doing now with Fitzpatrick enough of the retreads we need something close to a franchise QB. 

There's nothing wrong with bringing Romo in as a stop-gap for one year while the Jets continue infusing the team with youth, re-tooling the offensive line, fixing the secondary, etc. Especially if they believe Petty is not the answer and Hack is not ready. I know people say, well you gotta let these kids sink or swim, they gotta play eventually. But Petty WILL play- and if he stinks it up, you can't let him start next season just because he's young and has some potential.  If Hack is not ready, he's not ready. He's way too valuable for the Franchise to put him out there before he is ready. One season for a 'developmental' QB is not THAT much of a wait. In fact, its the LEAST amount of time you give a rookie developmental QB. It used to be these guys sat for 2-3 seasons.

Now, personally, I believe Hack WILL get a shot and WILL end up being the starter next year. But if that is not the case and the Jets decide to bring in Romo, I have no problem with that and don't consider that a being 'stuck in quicksand'. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

There's nothing wrong with bringing Romo in as a stop-gap for one year while the Jets continue infusing the team with youth, re-tooling the offensive line, fixing the secondary, etc. Especially if they believe Petty is not the answer and Hack is not ready. I know people say, well you gotta let these kids sink or swim, they gotta play eventually. But Petty WILL play- and if he stinks it up, you can't let him start next season just because he's young and has some potential.  If Hack is not ready, he's not ready. He's way too valuable for the Franchise to put him out there before he is ready. One season for a 'developmental' QB is not THAT much of a wait. In fact, its the LEAST amount of time you give a rookie developmental QB. It used to be these guys sat for 2-3 seasons.

Now, personally, I believe Hack WILL get a shot and WILL end up being the starter next year. But if that is not the case and the Jets decide to bring in Romo, I have no problem with that and don't consider that a being 'stuck in quicksand'. 

Stop gap?   When does it end?   No way to Romo. 

41 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Give him time to prepare?  Why rush him?  He's had 1-1/2 years to prepare to be a starting QB in the NFL.  Time to take the training wheels off and see what the kid has. 

On 11/6/2016 at 7:51 PM, Jets723 said:

Whats the point of drafting these kids with no inention of letting them get their feet wet. Fitz isnt here next year and we arent going to the playoffs. We need to see what we have with one of these kids

Here is the point of doing that. That is how the New York Jets have been. Either we pick horribly or we don't give them a chance to show anything. Every year it is the same story.

Just now, DonCorleone said:

Here is the point of doing that. That is how the New York Jets have been. Either we pick horribly or we don't give them a chance to show anything. Every year it is the same story.

Sadly it hasn't worked for 47 years and those of us demanding change are the bad guys. 

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Give him time to prepare?  Why rush him?  He's had 1-1/2 years to prepare to be a starting QB in the NFL.  Time to take the training wheels off and see what the kid has. 

Well, yes. I just meant practice time with the 1st team. He just came off an injury and I imagine has not practiced that much. It's fine, I have no problem playing him vs the Rams, he might just get eaten up by that D-line. I just feel like if the season is over anyway, why not start him strategically, set him up for success as much as possible.  

NY Jet fans are so use to having absolute sh*t for QBs they'd be SHOCKED how good Romeo would look throwing to Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peaked, J.Marshall, ASJ, Forte, Powell, it would blow YOUR F*CKING MINDS!

Could he stay healthy is the question. Like Favre in 2008, the Jets would be instant contenders in the AFC with Tony Romeo at QB. Would we be getting a guy at the end of his career? Of course, would we be a better team every game he starts in? Your damn right!

Just now, PepPep said:

Well, yes. I just meant practice time with the 1st team. He just came off an injury and I imagine has not practiced that much. It's fine, I have no problem playing him vs the Rams, he might just get eaten up by that D-line. I just feel like if the season is over anyway, why not start him strategically, set him up for success as much as possible.  

With that logic why not sign a free agent off the street then and feed them to the dogs and keep our 2 young QB's under wraps so they dont get hurt or exposed to bad stuff. 

54 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He should start Sunday against the Rams and continue starting after the bye week against the Patriots we need to stop coddling QB's here so far it hasnt worked for nothing. 

I feel robbed of my right to disagree with you.  Stop being on the same page as I. 

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

NY Jet fans are so use to having absolute sh*t for QBs they'd be SHOCKED how good Romeo would look throwing to Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peaked, J.Marshall, ASJ, Forte, Powell, it would blow YOUR F*CKING MINDS!

Could he stay healthy is the question. Like Favre in 2008, the Jets would be instant contenders in the AFC with Tony Romeo at QB. Would we be getting a guy at the end of his career? Of course, would we be a better team every game he starts in? Your damn right!

Yes, I agree 100%, its a MASSIVE upgrade if they were to get him.

Having said that, this team still has to figure out their #1 problem- and no, its not the QB (although that's a close 2nd)- its the secondary.

Nonetheless, if Hak is not ready next season (and I believe he will be), and Petty turns out to be much worse than what we had all hoped for after a pretty impressive pre-season- I would DEFINITELY welcome Tony Romo on a short-term deal while this team continues infusing the roster with young talent and improving the Oline and secondary.   

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

With that logic why not sign a free agent off the street then and feed them to the dogs and keep our 2 young QB's under wraps so they dont get hurt or exposed to bad stuff. 

Well, now you're just exaggerating. 

Petty will be exposed to plenty of 'bad' stuff this season, even if he doesn't start until the Colts game. And yes, the season is over so they COULD bring a bum off the streets and feed him to the dogs. But they have a QB that they are paying 12mil to who won't be here next year. So if you want to feed someone to the dogs- he's your man. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Well, now you're just exaggerating. 

Petty will be exposed to plenty of 'bad' stuff this season, even if he doesn't start until the Colts game. And yes, the season is over so they COULD bring a bum off the streets and feed him to the dogs. But they have a QB that they are paying 12mil to who won't be here next year. So if you want to feed someone to the dogs- he's your man. 

He's injured and he's earned himself a seat on the bench he's boring and he's bad our young WR's deserve better or at least a better effort from the QB.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

He's injured and he's earned himself a seat on the bench he's boring and he's bad our young WR's deserve better or at least a better effort from the QB.

I agree. I don't think the Jets CS does though. Whether Petty starts this week or vs. the Colts is not a HUGE difference. If he gets eaten up by the Ram this week he has a bye week to prep for the Pats, so its fine. He will surely struggle vs the Pats as well. I would much rather see him play the Colts, have a great game and WIN, then have the Niners and Dolphins as his next two opponents. Get his feet wet, if you will, before facing the Pats on the road. But quite frankly, its not gonna swing his development much in either direction- unless he gets hurt, which can happen in any game.    

This team and Gailey especially needs to come to the realization that it's not Fitz's year. I think Gailey has a serious bromance with Fitz considering the past workings with the Bills. Like I said in another post Gailey is living in the 2011 Bills season where Fitz shine for the Bills. 

And we can't make a final decision on Petty with one or two games. He is going to make his mistakes like most QB's coming into real time NFL play. People here are saying if Petty doesn't perform well move on to Hack or get a veteran or a draft pick. This kid is going to need a few games, maybe a season to mature. What's important is to see if he has the fundamentals, poise in the pocket, going through his progressions, being smart with the football, etc. He will be a project like any other QB entering into real time NFL play. From what I've seen of him which isn't much I think he could be very good. Our O-LINE needs to help him out and Gailey's play calling needs to get better.

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Simple. The Jets invested a 2nd round pick in him.

Widely considered a big reach, especially after how he looked in camp/preseason.

He will have a full season on the bench.

Indeed.

The Jets will have only Petty and Hack at the QB position after this season.

Says who?  You presume we don't draft/sign another QB, a poor presumption IMO.

So, I believe he will get a SHOT to compete for the starting gig.

Oh, yes, he'll get a chance to compete yes, that doesn't say much.  

If you give him a shot, I think he can beat out Petty.

Not sure what you've seen that leads you to that conclusion.  Petty destroyed Hack this last preseason.  Night and day difference.

Now, at this point we don't know who the 3rd QB will be. Will there be a trade for a veteran?

One should assume we will not enter 2017 with three unknowns.  So yes, a veteran is almost assuredly going to be signed.

Maybe Romo will join the Jets and be named starter automatically?

Dear Lord, no.  Please no.

Maybe a trade for Glennon happens and he wins the job?

Glennon is a free agent, and if you believe our resident Villian, he will get the "largest contract in NFL history" this coming offseason.

Maybe the Jets draft another QB (although I doubt it will be a high draft pick). I dunno, too many variables.

Depends on where we finish, and who is available.  Agreed, to hard to see that picture as yet.

But RIGHT NOW, I believe Hack will get a shot and I believe he will beat out Petty.  

I would reserve judgement till I see Petty play later this year (or maybe on Sunday!) and see Hack.....next preseason, maybe?

What I've seen so far, there is no competition, Petty was completely superior to Hack.

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2016 at 0:12 PM, Harlemnite1 said:

Hack will never play for the Jets. Yes, he's that bad. Let's roll with Petty and if he stink we take the Washington QB Browning.

I think that's a suckers bet for me. Hack can't even see the field with the mess the Jets have going on this year.  He's got to be really, really, really awful not to even get a snap. Awful I tell you just awful.

Archived