2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

21 minutes ago, NJ said:

Amen .. the female is exceptionally painful

They had the B team doing the Mets game which is even worse.

The chick doesn't bother me. It's the announcer that kills that team for me: Dan Shulman I think is his name.

Both crews pretty much suck tho.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, JohnJ said:

They had the B team doing the Mets game which is even worse.

The chick doesn't bother me. It's the announcer that kills that team for me: Dan Shulman I think is his name.

Both crews pretty much suck tho.

Plus we're kind of spoiled when it comes to commentating. Gary, Keith, and Ron are the best in the business. Even Rose on the radio is so damn good..

It's kind of pointless how they have their own crews do these prime time games. They should have the home crews for each team do them. I feel like ESPN wants to create these connections to their on-air personalities like they do with Monday Night Football and it just doesn't work.

On 4/6/2017 at 11:17 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I love it. Great for MILB. This is like when Birmingham brought Jordan on. Minor leagues are supposed to be laid back and fun, the fact that they've got crowds like that because of him is awesome.

Agree with this. Minor league ball is the best too, family activities, little kids are the most important fans in the seats... and every player on the field is Charlie Hustle.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bruce shutting all of us up this month. Good sh*t.

Not me....just sayin' :) Loved that Terry got aggressive with him and moved him up in the order too.

I thought it was a good thing all along, and I'm glad Sandy didn't sell cheap. He never does.

IF Conforto can contribute, and improve, it's yuuuuge..... And Lagares is close too.

Fingers crossed with Duda/d'Arnaud :unsure:

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Nice. Like Ronny just said, Jake just hangs tough even when things aren't right. He's a helluva pitcher

Yup.  DeGrom didn't have his stuff, and neither did Reed, but we still managed to pull it out.  Solid win -- nice to see a couple of swings of the bat pick up the pitchers.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think his past 3-4 seasons have been heavily front-ended. Last year especially.

It would be perfect if his hot streaks matched up with Lucas duda cold streaks and vice versa. Both are similar hitters

Terrys job ain't easy this year. Gotta find at bats for conforto but with cespedes (never sit him), Bruce who is super streaky and granderson, it's a tough spot. I dunno if I'd put conforto or Bruce at first either sporadically for the fact that if they play sh*tty in the field its probably gonna effect them at the plate. 

Its a long season and bound to be some injury but gotta think our fortunes turn around on that front this year......yea right 

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good to see the Phillies are still a lowlife organization. Some things never change.

Phillies manager said "we are not that type of organization, and I will talk with the kid tomorrow", meaning he acknowledges there was purpose behind the pitch. 

Phillies did the Mets a favor and woke them up. It is nice to see them when they get a little anger and play with an edge.

Still too reliant on the long ball, and this team needs to string hits together. Have ti expect Cespedes to get it going at some point soon.

On other fronts, Smith and Rosario are raking at AAA.

23 hours ago, JiF said:

How happy are the Mets they kept Bruce?  Dude has been carrying the offense.  Great to see Conforto go yard too.  I friggin love that kid. 

And....he's still doing it.  I'd just to remind everyone that I wanted them to keep Bruce.  You're welcome.

Too early to be concerned with how bad Reyes looks at the plate? 

3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

It would be perfect if his hot streaks matched up with Lucas duda cold streaks and vice versa. Both are similar hitters

Terrys job ain't easy this year. Gotta find at bats for conforto but with cespedes (never sit him), Bruce who is super streaky and granderson, it's a tough spot. I dunno if I'd put conforto or Bruce at first either sporadically for the fact that if they play sh*tty in the field its probably gonna effect them at the plate. 

Its a long season and bound to be some injury but gotta think our fortunes turn around on that front this year......yea right 

We'll see. I still think he's getting moved for a catcher or relief eventually, but in the meantime it's nice to see that Sandy's gamble in keeping him and shifting Granderson to center is yielding some positive results.

With Conforto and Collins I just don't get it. Switching him out for Wilmer last night, are we really still just never going to let him hit against lefties? We're still on that train? Bizarre. With the way the Mets are set up right now there is plenty of opportunity to get him ABs considering he can back up every position and be your primary PH, (just rotate rest for all the OF and that's 3-4 starts a week for him easy) but this stuff with lefties has gotta go already.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Phillies manager said "we are not that type of organization, and I will talk with the kid tomorrow", meaning he acknowledges there was purpose behind the pitch. 

Phillies did the Mets a favor and woke them up. It is nice to see them when they get a little anger and play with an edge.

Still too reliant on the long ball, and this team needs to string hits together. Have ti expect Cespedes to get it going at some point soon.

On other fronts, Smith and Rosario are raking at AAA.

C81C_AGXgAIi3Qf.jpg

When Cespedes and Jose get going IF Duda and/or d'Arnaud could play to their potential the runs could start coming in in bundles. Bruce could put up some big numbers too. He's done it his whole career. 

Conforto will get his chance, Terry is very good rotating guys, and in the meantime the depth is excellent providing we stay healthy....sorry for saying that last point out loud.

I'm starting to lose hope already with d'Arnaud tho. I do have a lot more Faith in Wilmer however. He started to really show up last summer before he got hurt, and his #'s against LH pitching are big, and Terry likes him against RH pitching too at this point.

Duda/Wilmer could really make things easy for Sandy down the road to fortify the team in regards to his options and not necessarily give up too much.

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

A Philthy beat down.....beautiful

Ces may have two shots at #4....he is a bad mfer :o

And Asdrubal may get a couple of shots at the triple for the cycle.  Although in that ballpark, the triple will be tough.

33 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I know it's still early but asdrubal has to go down as one of the better signings in team history 

It's up there, but I think that's a bit more because we've historically been so snake bitten with FAs. Best ever has to be what, Olerud or Beltran? Lance Johnson, Floyd, and Ventura worked out great too. And I know Pedro might not have filled up the stat sheet but he's a big reason why those mid-2000s teams had the roster that they had.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's up there, but I think that's a bit more because we've historically been so snake bitten with FAs. Best ever has to be what, Olerud or Beltran? Lance Johnson, Floyd, and Ventura worked out great too. And I know Pedro might not have filled up the stat sheet but he's a big reason why those mid-2000s teams had the roster that they had.

Piazza would have to be the best. IMO. We have had terrible luck with signing free agents,

Floyd is one of my favorite mets of all time. Still remember the year he stayed playing while he was hurt until piazza came back. 

Ventura was solid 

olerued, if he would've stayed in 2000 who knows what could've been. 

Beltran while he was here didn't get the credit he deserved, I admit I was too high on him either, partly because he supposedly offered the Yankees a discount in the 11th hour while the mets deal was on the table. But besides his first year he is probably on of the few "mega contracts" the signing team didn't regret in the final couple years. Guy made everything look easy 

Cabrera signing was such low key, almost "typical mets signing". Guy with supposedly his better day behind him and not much expectation, guy has been good in the field, great at the plate and seems to be a team leader

52 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Piazza would have to be the best. IMO. We have had terrible luck with signing free agents,

Floyd is one of my favorite mets of all time. Still remember the year he stayed playing while he was hurt until piazza came back. 

Ventura was solid 

olerued, if he would've stayed in 2000 who knows what could've been. 

Beltran while he was here didn't get the credit he deserved, I admit I was too high on him either, partly because he supposedly offered the Yankees a discount in the 11th hour while the mets deal was on the table. But besides his first year he is probably on of the few "mega contracts" the signing team didn't regret in the final couple years. Guy made everything look easy 

Cabrera signing was such low key, almost "typical mets signing". Guy with supposedly his better day behind him and not much expectation, guy has been good in the field, great at the plate and seems to be a team leader

They traded for Piazza

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Speaking of which, where are we ranking the Cespedes trade in Mets history? Gotta be 3rd or 4th at this point. Keith and Piazza are 1 and 2, then the Ces and Thor trades are probably battling it out for that 3 spot.

Dickey trade has to rate as #3 right now. Just in pure value and to what was returned. Alderson took a career year and turned into a future ace and a starting catcher. Say what you want about DArnaud, and there is a lot to be said there, but he has been serviceable. That is a great haul.

Yes, Cespdes is one of the greatest power hitters in Mets history, but you also have to consider that they gave up Fulmer, who in his own right looks to be very good. 

Quibbling here, but I think there is a separation.

Some other trades:

Mets trade Lee Mazzilli for Ron Darling and Walt Terrell. Darling we of course know about, and Terrell was a good pitcher while here. They then trade Terrell for Howrd Johnson.

One of the all-timers though was Ed Hearn for David Cone. That stacks up there.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Dickey trade has to rate as #3 right now. Just in pure value and to what was returned. Alderson took a career year and turned into a future ace and a starting catcher. Say what you want about DArnaud, and there is a lot to be said there, but he has been serviceable. That is a great haul.

Yes, Cespdes is one of the greatest power hitters in Mets history, but you also have to consider that they gave up Fulmer, who in his own right looks to be very good. 

Quibbling here, but I think there is a separation.

Some other trades:

Mets trade Lee Mazzilli for Ron Darling and Walt Terrell. Darling we of course know about, and Terrell was a good pitcher while here. They then trade Terrell for Howrd Johnson.

One of the all-timers though was Ed Hearn for David Cone. That stacks up there.

I think I'm on the other end and leaning towards Ces. Thor/D'Arnaud was an amazing deal, but I don't think the Mets get to the playoffs in '15 and '16 without Cespedes. Without Thor? In '15 definitely. In '16? Maaaaaybe.

Certainly an opinion that could change over time.

Also I don't know how we're neglecting the Carter trade. And as a matter of fact I might have to rank that at 3 unless this current team wins itself a title. Carter was the final piece of a championship team and that's impossible to ignore.

Sid Fernandez deserves some love too.

In the Dickey trade they also received Wuilmer Becerra, who is a pretty good prospect at this point and has the potential be a power hitter. Still holding out hope for d'ARNAUD to put it together. If he doesn't they'll look to replace at some point

But Cespedes is a great player, imo, tho all the results aren't in yet AND I'm sure some people will beg to differ. The other players on the team are almost awe struck by him, and what he has rubs off on them. He's also a good teammate. You can see it.

If they ever get a Championship with him he'll be there with the Keith's and Piazza's. 

Archived