Jump to content
adb280z

2017 Mets thread!

Recommended Posts

Little bit off topic, but so sorry to hear of the passing of Bill Webb. For years, the Mets broadcast was a visual treat because of his awesome ability to tell a story through cuts and timing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Little bit off topic, but so sorry to hear of the passing of Bill Webb. For years, the Mets broadcast was a visual treat because of his awesome ability to tell a story through cuts and timing.

R.I.P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIp to Bill Webb unsung hero of Met telecasts Wheeler today hoping for the best to just get out ther live again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a baby step but a big one. Happy for him.......

 

Mets RHP Zack Wheeler allowed one run on two hits in two innings while walking one and striking out one on Friday against the Braves, during what was his first Grapefruit League start.

Wheeler's fastball topped out at 94 MPH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if the Mets will offer Tim Tebow http://nypost.com/2017/03/11/tim-tebow-upbeat-despite-harsh-reality-check/ a minor league contract. If they send him to the Florida State League to play for St. Lucie it's a tough single A league with a lot of top prospects. And if he's not considered any kind of a prospect he would be taking the place of a good, young player.  If he really wants to just play professional baseball why not just go to an Independent League like the Atlantic League and play for a team like the Ducks. If he plays well he can then get a contract. It's not an easy league plenty of these guys have been in MLB and a lot of them have earned contracts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't know if the Mets will offer Tim Tebow http://nypost.com/2017/03/11/tim-tebow-upbeat-despite-harsh-reality-check/ a minor league contract. If they send him to the Florida State League to play for St. Lucie it's a tough single A league with a lot of top prospects. And if he's not considered any kind of a prospect he would be taking the place of a good, young player.  If he really wants to just play professional baseball why not just go to an Independent League like the Atlantic League and play for a team like the Ducks. If he plays well he can then get a contract. It's not an easy league plenty of these guys have been in MLB and a lot of them have earned contracts. 

Bottom line is the Mets have not one but two stadiums they need to sell tickets for this spring in the midst of the WBC, so I get it. I have no problem with them using him as a draw while some of the younger dudes shipped off for the WBC, but once that's over they need to end this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sleeper of the Spring has to be Montero. I know he’s fooled us before but he’s been consistently very solid this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bottom line is the Mets have not one but two stadiums they need to sell tickets for this spring in the midst of the WBC, so I get it. I have no problem with them using him as a draw while some of the younger dudes shipped off for the WBC, but once that's over they need to end this.

 

For Jets/Mets fans it's a PITA...for me it is anyway. But really it's nothing like the Jets situation. And Terry said the other day that's all we'll see of Tebow in pre-season games anymore. He'll be in the low minors far away....Thank God :)

I imagine Terry's very happy to move along from that too.

 

Looks like deGrom and Matz are poised to start the season in top form after the hiccups the last two years. Now it's time for Harvey to round out into form.....

 

/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JohnJ said:

For Jets/Mets fans it's a PITA...for me it is anyway. But really it's nothing like the Jets situation. And Terry said the other day that's all we'll see of Tebow in pre-season games anymore. He'll be in the low minors far away....Thank God :)/

They make transaction announcements. Terry says no more Tebow in games and he's in the lineup today. WTF lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Wheeler hit 97 today and Collins said Rosario is definitely getting called up this year.

Haha... beat me to it. Wheeler looks like he's very happy with the way things are going and the way he's feeling.

 

This is Good news.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of the WBC the Mets have been short of players and they've been calling on guys in their minor league complex which is right next to the their MLB compound. And that's why Tebow has been playing. Plus the guy has improved and held his own and he's made good catches and after an 0-8 to start he's up to .235. I heard Howie saying a few days ago they expect him to be assigned to St Lucie. Hey, with his power he could hit a few dingers. That summer that Michael Jordan played AA he hit something like .250 with double digits in Hrs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tebow assigned to Columbia which n\means he will be coming to Jersey in  lakewood- get ready for the circus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope I'm not jinxing him......

 

But my boy Seth Lugo is starting tonight in the WBC Final. He's done very well in the WBC too.

 

Gsellman and Lugo are such a beautiful thing at this point. They saved the season last year, and are starting to look like legit middle to back end starter guys for an MLB staff. 

We're gonna have a couple, few good players gonna have to start the season in the Minors. Much deeper than we've been in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at spring training the past two days. Very cool seeing the entire starting lineup out there.

The thing I realized today is this year's squad barring injury is going to be very different. The Mets have been relying on platooning a lot the past couple seasons, but this year they have a stable lineup of veterans at 8 positions. I have no idea how it will all play out but the one thing I noticed watching them is that there is a very cool and calm demeanor amongst them and they are constantly communicating extremely well. There is no uncertainty about who is going to be playing what and when with the 1-8, and going into an Opening Day that is a first for the Terry Collins Mets (and that's never been his fault, of course). I'm excited to see how it all unfolds. The Mets are so overdue for some luck regarding injuries and if it happens this year we have a dangerous team.

X-factor is D'Arnaud. I think it's safe to say we are going to have to make a move for a catcher. The dude still stinks. Thor worked a pitchout perfectly today and D'Arnaud still couldn't throw the guy out. This would all be fine if he was hitting but I don't think this guy is going to find his swing again any time soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

X-factor is D'Arnaud. I think it's safe to say we are going to have to make a move for a catcher. The dude still stinks. Thor worked a pitchout perfectly today and D'Arnaud still couldn't throw the guy out. This would all be fine if he was hitting but I don't think this guy is going to find his swing again any time soon. 

Watched the game and he looked bad. He seems to be hitting alright tho. But even then it seems like it's work for him to not wave the bat around.

One at bat a few days ago he dipped his hands down, way down, before his swing. I was like wtf was that, but he didn't do it again his next at bat.

 

Terry didn't act particularly pleased either, and said/threatened to start Rivera opening day.

 

Sometimes it looks like he's not competing, just lollygagging around. No fire. We'll see.

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Watched the game and he looked bad. He seems to be hitting alright tho. But even then it seems like it's work for him to not wave the bat around.

One at bat a few days ago he dipped his hands down, way down, before his swing. I was like wtf was that, but he didn't do it again his next at bat.

 

Terry didn't act particularly pleased either, and said/threatened to start Rivera opening day.

 

Sometimes it looks like he's not competing, just lollygagging around. No fire. We'll see.

There was a dude behind me today who brought up a funny point. One of the final pieces to the 86 team was Carter the year before, and the team kind of knew it because everyone knew they needed at least one more right handed bat in the lineup and a veteran presence at catcher to go with all of that young pitching. 30 years later, here we are in a ironically similar situation. Biggest need on the team is a veteran catcher to go with all this young pitching and preferably a righty. Go figure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven Matz will miss his next start due to elbow tenderness. He will rest for a few days before further evaluation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travis 0 ro 12 in throwing out runners in spring training- big disappointment . Mets even brought in a guy to help him and mentor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, faba said:

Travis 0 ro 12 in throwing out runners in spring training- big disappointment . Mets even brought in a guy to help him and mentor

At least he is hitting so far this spring.  You can put up with a bad defensive catcher if he can swing a bat, but if he is gonn hit .240 with no power like last year, may as well let Rivera play a lot more.  At least he can throw guys out.

A week from tomorrow -- can't wait.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

If this keeps up does plawecki get another shot?

Sandy has expressed faith in both of them, so I'd say yes, eventually. 

 

Lagares with an oblique. Looks like Conforto starts the season on the big league squad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, faba said:

Travis 0 ro 12 in throwing out runners in spring training- big disappointment . Mets even brought in a guy to help him and mentor

I really can't stress how bad he looks defensively. What I saw this week was a guy that actually looks like he has regressed. Thor and him worked a textbook pitchout on Friday and D'Arnaud still couldn't get the guy out. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless his bat gets better he may have no place on a major league roster if he's as bad as you say. No one wants a light hitting poor defensive starting or back up catcher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Unless his bat gets better he may have no place on a major league roster if he's as bad as you say. No one wants a light hitting poor defensive starting or back up catcher 

Especially when he's walking around acting like a fruitcake.

 

We'll see. I have no idea what their time frame is but he'll get a look for at least six weeks is my guess. But already it's looking like the idea of him catching Noah is a no go. Strike one.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lagares has a chance to be ready for opening day. Conforto needs to go to AAA if he isn't gonna play everyday 

 

Matz still uncertain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harvey and Wheeler looking very pleased with how they feel after their last starts..

 

 

Nothing like seeing Lagares at the top of his game where extra base hits go to die.......

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Who's opening day 1B this year?

Gotta be Duda or maybe Wilmer against a LH pitcher...no?

 

And who's gonna replace Matz' start? Lugo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Gotta be Duda or maybe Wilmer against a LH pitcher...no?

 

And who's gonna replace Matz' start? Lugo?

Gotta be lugo if they decide to keep wheeler in extended spring training. 

Its Duda job to lose but for some reason I don't think he's gonna be healthy much this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Gotta be Duda or maybe Wilmer against a LH pitcher...no?

 

And who's gonna replace Matz' start? Lugo?

44 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Gotta be lugo if they decide to keep wheeler in extended spring training. 

Its Duda job to lose but for some reason I don't think he's gonna be healthy much this year 

Yep. Lugo, and that's probably happening because Matz looks like he's missing at least his first start. Duda is full time for now unless he slumps or gets hurt. I don't think we're going to see Collins playing righty/lefty for the first few weeks, really looks like he wants to roll with this veteran starting lineup and he'll get Wilmer his ABs by rotating him with off-days for all the IF. Worth noting that TJ has been on fire this Spring and is definitely getting a bench spot, so that complicates Wilmer being the go-to all the time.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they get off to a slow start. The Mets have literally nothing but division games for the first 5 weeks of the season, so there is not going to be much leeway. The NL East is going to be so tough this year and every non-Philly game is going to be crucial.

Here's a mind **** for you though, check out this stretch through almost all of June: Rangers, Braves, Cubs, Nats, Dodgers, Giants, Marlins. Woof.

Safe to say going just a little over .500 in April and that June stretch would be a big win. Mets are going to have to weather that April storm and absolutely murder it in May if they want to be in a good position at the AS break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's a go. And all in all things are good. Except obviously Matz. Fingers crossed the MRI's negative. 

 

Depth looks good, and they have to be very happy that Wheeler has come along nicely. He looks good. I like Wheeler, and he's gonna compete

And the Familia thing went well all things considered.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheeler it is. He looks really good and the kid has matured. He has a good competitive spirit.

 

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that means Lugo to the BP.

 

Lot of ways they can change things up as the season progresses throughout the roster also

 

Wheeler makes rotation, joining Syndergaard, Harvey, deGrom, and Gsellman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...