Jets OC Chan Gailey fuels speculation about future with cryptic remark

Gas2No99

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chan Gailey - C - Jets

Speaking on NFL GameDay First, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Jets OC Chan Gailey will either be fired or moved to an off-field role next season.

Rapoport adds that Ryan Fitzpatrick will not be re-signed, which almost goes without saying. Per Rapsheet, the Jets want more involvement out of their tight ends (tight ends have caught a combined 17 passes for 166 yards this season) and are also looking to put a greater emphasis on their power running game under a new coordinator. Gailey was a strange hire to begin with and could have trouble landing another gig after a dismal showing in New York this past season.

All of the buzz is surrounding Gailey, and still nothing bout Rodgers???? Really? I said it when they hired him, you don't hand the keys of a Porsche to a 16 year old with a learning permit. The Jets have been overwhelmingly committed to investing in defense, and it's the defense that routinely underperforms. 

If Gailey gives no more ****s, that's fine. Let him walk away. However, let's not have him become a sacrificial lamb while continuing down this path of letting the defense absorb all of our assets and then being an undisciplined, give-no-****s, mess... 

On 12/31/2016 at 1:50 AM, Fantasy Island said:

Bowles should be fired because he refused to bench Revis and Fitz when it was clear they were hurting the team with their poor play.  Allowing Potsy and Muhammed to be late for meetings without nipping it in the bud was also on him.  However, Bowles will not be fired.  He will be given every chance to succeed or fail.

Fitz was benched. Twice. How did that turn out. The problem was the same when Sanchez was here, how can you bench your QB when Brunell is on the bench.

We have NO depth at CB. You think benching Revis for scrub a would have won us games?

Sorry, it seems to me that Mo was benched for missing meetings, no?

Bracing myself for the OC market to have names like Greg Roman, Norv Turner, Mike McCoy among others, and we'll promote Kevin Patulo or whatever his name is.

Seriously though, I'm really curious who our new DC is going to be. The fact that the defense isn't catching heat is disgusting to me.

I think it is time to move on from Chan, but mostly because I think the game has passed him buy and how much longer is he going to coach. We should bring in a new OC so that the QBs will eventually have stability - especially if Hack and Petty aren't the future.

As far as blaming him for Fitz or not using TEs; well, Fitz was the best we had and he sucked and we don't have any TEs worth anything. We also have a crappy OL with a lot of injuries and no depth. Not sure you can blame him for that.

Bowles runs the defense, so i find it hard to believe they would hire an established DC like Wade Phillips there (even though they should).    I fear the new OC hire will be so conservative as to run, run and maybe pass... since the article says OC will fit the mold of Bowles.

1 minute ago, Dinamite said:

Bowles runs the defense, so i find it hard to believe they would hire an established DC like Wade Phillips there (even though they should).    I fear the new OC hire will be so conservative as to run, run and maybe pass... since the article says OC will fit the mold of Bowles.

That's a problem then.

Bowles is head coach. His job is to run the team. Not the defense. This is the same bullsh*t that hamstrung us with Rex.

Wade Phillips would be the most qualified guy possible to run a 3-4 that attacks the passer. Plus, he's shown he can beat the Pats with defense that isn't balanced by an offense. There's literally NOBODY better for the DC job for us.

If we're not firing Bowles, or at a minimum Kacy Rodgers, for this defense being equally as awful as Gailey's offense... then, it's SOJ. Surround Bowles with coordinators that don't need him to "run" one side of the team, but allow him to focus on his actual job. 

Didn't Mike McCoy and Wade Phillips work together in Denver? I know Wade and Norval worked together.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

I still say which TE did the Jets offense underutilize?

Gailey can be let go and Hack and Petty can learn a new system, sure.  Yes there was some critique of the offense not using the TE but we were scoring at a then record pace   

But finally isn't the HC responsible when he picks the OC when a team is in need of a long term rebuild?  

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I still say which TE did the Jets offense underutilize?

Gailey can be let go and Hack and Petty can learn a new system, sure.  Yes there was some critique of the offense not using the TE but we were scoring at a then record pace   

But finally isn't the HC responsible when he picks the OC when a team is in need of a long term rebuild?  

Yeah. Like Gailey said the other day he doesn't think he got dumb in one year..He was praised last yr and now taking the hit..The D side needs the changes more than the offense. 

Perhaps Bowles should look to hire PSU O coordinator. Note: he wasn't the PSU O coordinator during Hacks 2014-2015 season until Dec 2015. Hack praised him recently

Pay this man ----->

ttp://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu/2015/12/16/New-Penn-State-offensive-coordinator-left-Fordham-with-rave-reviews-respect-of-his-players-coaches/stories/201512160088

50 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Other than for the Money, why would any sane person subject themselves and their family to the misery that is NY .  I am not Just talking about the Jets .

And any established OC would be coming here potentially for a one year gig since they may end up firing Bowles next year!!

Now what "brain" would sign up for that gig.  

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

That's a problem then.

Bowles is head coach. His job is to run the team. Not the defense. This is the same bullsh*t that hamstrung us with Rex.

Wade Phillips would be the most qualified guy possible to run a 3-4 that attacks the passer. Plus, he's shown he can beat the Pats with defense that isn't balanced by an offense. There's literally NOBODY better for the DC job for us.

If we're not firing Bowles, or at a minimum Kacy Rodgers, for this defense being equally as awful as Gailey's offense... then, it's SOJ. Surround Bowles with coordinators that don't need him to "run" one side of the team, but allow him to focus on his actual job. 

Didn't Mike McCoy and Wade Phillips work together in Denver? I know Wade and Norval worked together.

Slight quibble; we get all worked up about 3-4 or 4-3, and with as much nickel and dime packages with all the passing that's not really all that important any more. Most NFL teams line up in nickel/dime more than half the downs anyway. 3-4/4-3 is basically what you do on 1st down and 2nd and medium.

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Yeah. Like Gailey said the other day he doesn't think he got dumb in one year..He was praised last yr and now taking the hit..The D side needs the changes more than the offense. 

Perhaps Bowles should look to hire PSU O coordinator. Note: he wasn't the PSU O coordinator during Hacks 2014-2015 season until Dec 2015. Hack praised him recently

Pay this man ----->

ttp://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu/2015/12/16/New-Penn-State-offensive-coordinator-left-Fordham-with-rave-reviews-respect-of-his-players-coaches/stories/201512160088

Good post. 

Moorhead is a perfect example of the young guys the Jets should be looking at instead of the Norv Turners of the world. Heck, Fordham is about 1/2 hour from Florham Park. Alas that kind of dare and thinking is in short supply with the NYJ. Article is from last December. Both Fordham and PSU (in the Rose bowl today) had solid seasons. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Pay this man ----->

Great points!

This is what is consistently bothering me about the Jets.   The fans often are more rational than the FO.  

What was or is the plan?  You don't fire someone for a bad year unless they are deviating from your long term objectives.  

If Gailey has done that IMO he must be let go, period.  

But if Chan didn't go away from the plan then how do you sacrifice him for having Fitz as the QB and no serviceable TEs on the team?

You mean he is responsible for Fitz the journeyman turning into Fitz the journeyman?

It is like we look to the back pages as to what to do, gather which way the wind blows than follow that. 

20 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Are they really scapegoating Chan for this disaster?  What a predicable joke!

This team is full of humor.

This team is a failure.

Please sell the team Woody. Maybe if he is overseas in his puppet job,  he will be forced to sell  the team the  US Government.

The Season Is Finally Over.

18 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

And any established OC would be coming here potentially for a one year gig since they may end up firing Bowles next year!!

Now what "brain" would sign up for that gig.  

Well IF the O does well, shows improvement he could be in line to take over as HC?

48 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Slight quibble; we get all worked up about 3-4 or 4-3, and with as much nickel and dime packages with all the passing that's not really all that important any more. Most NFL teams line up in nickel/dime more than half the downs anyway. 3-4/4-3 is basically what you do on 1st down and 2nd and medium.

I get all this, I just know Bowles and Wade both rely on 3-4 as their "base".

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Fitz was benched. Twice. How did that turn out. The problem was the same when Sanchez was here, how can you bench your QB when Brunell is on the bench.

We have NO depth at CB. You think benching Revis for scrub a would have won us games?

Sorry, it seems to me that Mo was benched for missing meetings, no?

for 1 series, and Brunell hasn't been her for a while.

Archived