Bowles and Macc Officially Back Next Season

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimately, it's going to be about the players - both from the standpoint of talent and accountability. 

We lack both. Coaches can inspire accountability and effort, on occasion, but this is the NFL. If you're GM is adding players that don't care to the locker room, they aren't going to suddenly change who they are. Fill the room with guys that give a ****, and guys that can play the game, and the coaching becomes window dressing.

43 minutes ago, dcJet said:

August, link for this? 

I don't remember the exact thread. I remember using the Pats, Steelers and Ravens (3 teams with rock solid organizations that are known to draft well) and compared their drafts to ours from '13 and '14. Their drafts just like ours produced one or two pro bowl caliber player, a role player or two and a few flameouts. No different than our drafts from those years but people swore that those drafts were the worst drafts ever while other teams drafted pro bowlers and future hall of famers except us. 

4 minutes ago, August said:

I don't remember the exact thread. I remember using the Pats, Steelers and Ravens (3 teams with rock solid organizations that are known to draft well) and compared their drafts to ours from '13 and '14. Their drafts just like ours produced one or two pro bowl caliber player, a role player or two and a few flameouts. No different than our drafts from those years but people swore that those drafts were the worst drafts ever while other teams drafted pro bowlers and future hall of famers except us. 

Yeah, GM'ing is like baseball.  If you find 3 starters out of every 10 picks, your'e going to the GM Hall of Fame.

Just now, thadude said:

Yeah, we need to go 0-16 next year to draft Sam Darnold.

I don't know why we all argue and debate about this so much. No one can be "correct" in this discussion... If the Jets go 0-16, you can certainly make the case they should have dropped everything AGAIN and started from scratch, but you can't guarantee they would be any better. And vice versa.  

MM is a good GM. Not amazing. Not groundbreaking. He's good. He's been here 2 years. What do people want? Have some patience. There are no magic genie GMs out there who will instantly make the Jets better.

MM drew up all these contracts that are going to get dropped this year. He did that. He made these so the Jets could have almost 55 Mill in cap room this year because he was smart enough to leave himself outs. That's so important. People want amazing drafts where a team gets 11 starters somehow, but that's not realistic. He's made sound football moves as he tries to build a young team here... Lets see what he does now that he has a handful of young guys that can play a couple key roles, a bunch of money to spend, and a 6th round pick... 

This team will look much different next season. 

What happens if we suck AND...

What happens if he doesn't come out next year? What happens if he looks like crap his sophomore year (sound familiar?)? What happens if we suck, but not enough and we draft #2 and get the RGIII prize? What if we draft him and he can't translate, or the team is so bad that he can't succeed (Luck anyone?)? What if he gets a career ending injury in his first year.

Planning to loose is never a good thing. It still hasn't worked out for Indy and Luck. Let's try and build this team the right way. If Bowles sucks next year he is gone. If he is good, great.

5 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I don't know why we all argue and debate about this so much. No one can be "correct" in this discussion... If the Jets go 0-16, you can certainly make the case they should have dropped everything AGAIN and started from scratch, but you can't guarantee they would be any better. And vice versa.  

MM is a good GM. Not amazing. Not groundbreaking. He's good. He's been here 2 years. What do people want? Have some patience. There are no magic genie GMs out there who will instantly make the Jets better.

MM drew up all these contracts that are going to get dropped this year. He did that. He made these so the Jets could have almost 55 Mill in cap room this year because he was smart enough to leave himself outs. That's so important. People want amazing drafts where a team gets 11 starters somehow, but that's not realistic. He's made sound football moves as he tries to build a young team here... Lets see what he does now that he has a handful of young guys that can play a couple key roles, a bunch of money to spend, and a 6th round pick... 

This team will look much different next season. 

With our luck we go 4-12 next year and draft at 4 or 5 overall and can't get Darnold.

14 hours ago, thadude said:

With our luck we go 4-12 next year and draft at 4 or 5 overall and can't get Darnold.

I'm not hoping for that. I want the Jets to be competitive!

But that said... There are 3 or 4 QBs in 2018 that are highly projected right now... That's all going to change of course, but right now Darnold, Lamar Jackson, and Josh Rosen are all considered better QBs than this years crop... So the Jets can win more than a few games again and actually still be in position to get a pretty good passer... Not every team is going to need a signal caller. I've also heard people say that Jake Browning will be a late first rounder who could be a steal.

Again, wayyyy too early to tell. But the point is there are going to be a handful of QBs on the board next year, and they're going to go at various points depending on the teams and the order.

Next year there are also some highly touted CBs and Safteys, as well as some mid round OT guys... Obviously every team wants a 15+ year star quarterback, but there will be stud players in positions that the Jets need in the mid/late rounds too... So if they compete next year they might miss out on QBs, but they can still fill some glaring holes. 

Archived