Jets Prepared to Open the Checkbook for Winters?

JetNation

IMG_1938.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

With plenty of holes to fill on their 53-man roster, the last thing the New York Jets want to do is have more vacancies open up once the free agency period hits.

A quick glance at the Jets pending unrestricted free agents shows few names worth losing any sleep over with the likes of Ben Ijalana and Kellen Davis and Geno Smith set to depart, but the lone exception is right guard Brian Winters.  The four-year lineman out of Kent State has shown steady progress over the past couple of seasons and easily played his best football in 2016.

IMG_7847-300x247.jpg

Brian Winters will be looking for his first big payday as a pro in the coming months.

Gang Green is expected to trim the overpriced fat from the roster that could potentially free up plenty of cap space, somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 million.

With that type of cap flexibility, one has to wonder what a Winters contract would look like.

Winters’ rookie deal paid him an average of $725,000, while the league’s top earners at the position are Pittsburgh’s David DeCastro and Chicago’s Kyle long, both of whom average $10 million per season.

The Jets may not pay Winters quite that much, but just how high will they go to avoid having Winters hit the open market where history has shown how two teams bidding against one another can get even the most marginal players astronomical contracts, isn’t that right Brock Osweiller?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
0iIYmqltn2s

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol he will laugh at that and surely get more from someone else..

I agree. Our fans think offering half in an ever-increasing market is viable... because the Jets hometown discount? Or all the championships? 

17 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We have no choice but to pay the man. Would have been nice if front office was able to see this coming and paid him last year but that's hindsight.

Yeah, it seems like that could have been a smart move, but even with hindsight, we're still Jets fans.  The move probably would have been pretty heavily lambasted at the time, given his repeated early career struggles, and his play this year wouldn't be nearly as highly regarded if he were no longer so cheap for the Jets.  Can you imagine how much worse the reaction would have been if Winters still had headbutted himself into a concussion after getting a new deal?

I agree he's worth bringing back, but if he's looking for some sort of mega-deal, you let him hit FA to test the market and talk to him again later (along with any other FAs), because while the Jets obviously don't need any more holes than they already have, Winters is still nothing more than solid.

Another marvelous job of not locking up a player when he still had a year left, when he'd have been half the cost to extend. 

Is he purposely trying to have every Jets player cost as much as possible? Because if that was his goal he'd need to change exactly none of his past actions. If he knew he wanted to re-sign Winters why on earth would he wait until after the season, when his risk of career-altering injury has been avoided (and therefore any discount right along with it)?

He is so terrible, and so incompetent, it's painful to witness as a fan.

I'm looking forward to no extension for Enunwa this year, and maybe not next year either, followed by an $11m/yr contract starting in 2018 instead of locking him up at close to half that today.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Another marvelous job of not locking up a player when he still had a year left, when he'd have been half the cost to extend. 

Is he purposely trying to have every Jets player cost as much as possible? Because if that was his goal he'd need to change exactly none of his past actions. If he knew he wanted to re-sign Winters why on earth would he wait until after the season, when his risk of career-altering injury has been avoided (and therefore any discount right along with it)?

I'm looking forward to no extension for Enunwa this year, and maybe not next year either, followed by an $11m/yr contract starting in 2018 instead of locking him up at close to half that today.

Going into last year, more than half this board thought Brian Winters was another draft bust .  Now 1 yr later, the GM should have locked him up before to try and save money .  You don't like the guy, that's apparent, but you don't need to pile on to prove your point  .

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In what universe were there people clamoring for us to sign Brian Winters early last year because I wanna take whatever drugs bring you there. Sounds like a nice place. 

We were starting Willie Colon for half of last season and nothing Winters did said that he was gonna be a great lineman this year.  Hell, there were people who said we should go guard early in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Going into last year, more than half this board thought Brian Winters was another draft bust .  Now 1 yr later, the GM should have locked him up before to try and save money .  You don't like the guy, that's apparent, but you don't need to pile on to prove your point  .

Historical revisionism is my favorite thing ever.

On 1/9/2017 at 8:42 PM, Tinstar said:

Try again. Extend going into this year, not going into 2015. We just finished 2016, not 2015, in case you've been asleep since then.

Maccagnan knew what holes he'd have all over the place entering 2017. If he views Winters as good enough to plug a hole for now he was good enough to plug after the prior 2015 season. 

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

In what universe were there people clamoring for us to sign Brian Winters early last year because I wanna take whatever drugs bring you there. Sounds like a nice place. 

We were starting Willie Colon for half of last season and nothing Winters did said that he was gonna be a great lineman this year.  Hell, there were people who said we should go guard early in the draft.

In what universe did Maccagnan's tenure just begin?

Also false. First, he started 10 games last year, after which is enough to offer the cheap contract he'd have cost. He'll now be double or triple a year later. 

He could have extended him in the offseason. He could have extended him during this past season. Literally the most expensive time to re-sign him is to wait until his contract expires when he can go to the highest bidder.

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Historical revisionism is my favorite thing ever.

The team either likes him or they don't. If they like him, then lock him up before he gets his dollars up.

They saw him in almost 3x more games last year than Shell this year, and he's likely to be handed the starting job for next year in the spring. Nothing magically happened in 2016 to suddenly show this serious interest only after the season has ended. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Try again. Going into this year. 

He knew what holes he'd have all over the place. If he views Winters as good enough to plug a hole for now he was good enough to plug after last season. 

Whatever you say pal.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Give me a break with this bs line.  As if players and their agents are dumb enough to get "locked up"

Just now, Tinstar said:

Whatever you say pal.

Yes, whatever I say, since I'm right about everything. :) 

If Mike Maccagnan took over as the Steelers GM he'd have waited an extra 2-3 years to lock up Antonio Brown. What Steelers fans were "clamoring" to give Brown a $40-50m contract at $7m a pop after one 1000-yd, 3-TD season, and let Mike Wallace go to FA? 

Judging by his actions here, Maccagnan would have let him play out that 3rd year, then let him play under the RFA tag, then franchise tag him, then sign him to a $15m/yr contract. Then (some) fans would applaud the great job he did to get a deal done lol. Meanwhile such myopia costs a team a $7m starter (or upgrade) at another position.

Either that or he'd have instead locked up Wallace, only to lose Brown to free agency after his RFA tag year (since that's exactly how he handled his two FA DLmen in 2015-2016).

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In what universe did Maccagnan's tenure just begin?

Also false. First, he started 10 games last year, after which is enough to offer the cheap contract he'd have cost. He'll now be double or triple a year later. 

He could have extended him in the offseason. He could have extended him during this past season. Literally the most expensive time to re-sign him is to wait until his contract expires when he can go to the highest bidder.

Whether he started 8 or 10 games last year has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that no one wanted Winters after his little showcase, making your entire point of locking him up last offseason irrelevant. The team took a gamble starting him this season and he took a giant leap THIS YEAR.  Why in the world do you think he would have taken a cheap contact mid-season, knowing damn well he could make a killing on the open market?

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

wait a second.  you think winters or enunwa or any jet draftee doesn't read the sports pages and knows what his comparative worth is?  how about their agents?  think they are telling these guys to re-sign asap because the jets are the best place?  i get your point but i think you may be placing way too muc responsibility on mac for getting these guys re-signed.  i think it was bad the way they let slauson and austin howard go so easily.  and those guys weren't on mac's watch.

10 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Give me a break with this bs line.  As if players and their agents are dumb enough to get "locked up"

Um, it happens routinely, every season, so long as one doesn't wait until the time the player has maximum leverage to lock him up. Do not know what sport you follow where all players hit free agency before getting long term deals. 

Look at my Antonio Brown example above. He got "locked up" for less than half what his value would have been these past few seasons. Why? Because the team locked him up when they had leverage. There's no shortage of such examples.

It's a good deal for both sides to do things earlier. The player avoids missing a guaranteed payday due to injury, and the team doesn't pay top of the market rates to lock up the player by waiting too long.

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The team either likes him or they don't. If they like him, then lock him up before he gets his dollars up.

They saw him in almost 3x more games last year than Shell this year, and he's likely to be handed the starting job for next year in the spring. Nothing magically happened in 2016 to suddenly show this serious interest only after the season has ended. 

It's not even close to being that black and white.  Winters played ten games last year and looked like a guy that could easily be replaced when his contract was up. 2016 he looks much improved and the team should get him locked up.  No player is stupid enough to take a cheap deal in the middle of their best season. This is almost the same situation as Matt Slauson.

Shell just had a great close to his rookie year.  Better than anything from Winters in 2015 or any year of his career up until this year.  The two are even close to being comparable.  I'd hope that he'd be given the starting job after proving he could play.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Um, it happens routinely, every season, so long as one doesn't wait until the time the player has maximum leverage to lock him up. Do not know what sport you follow where all players hit free agency before getting long term deals. 

Look at my Antonio Brown example above. He got "locked up" for less than half what his value would have been these past few seasons. Why? Because the team locked him up when they had leverage. There's no shortage of such examples.

It's a good deal for both sides to do things earlier. The player avoids missing a guaranteed payday due to injury, and the team doesn't pay top of the market rates to lock up the player by waiting too long.

Wowza Antonio brown and Winters last year, speechless again. :)

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Whether he started 8 or 10 games last year has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that no one wanted Winters after his little showcase, making your entire point of locking him up last offseason irrelevant. The team took a gamble starting him this season and he took a giant leap THIS YEAR.  Why in the world do you think he would have taken a cheap contact mid-season, knowing damn well he could make a killing on the open market?

No one, lol. Yeah no one except his own team, who made him the automatic starter.

He would have taken a cheaper deal for the same reason every young player does before making any money: avoid the risk of ending up with nothing. 

Or are you of the opinion it would have cost the Jets $9.5m/yr to lock up Snacks in March of 2015? 

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's not even close to being that black and white.  Winters played ten games last year and looked like a guy that could easily be replaced when his contract was up. 2016 he looks much improved and the team should get him locked up.  No player is stupid enough to take a cheap deal in the middle of their best season. This is almost the same situation as Matt Slauson.

Shell just had a great close to his rookie year.  Better than anything from Winters in 2015 or any year of his career up until this year.  The two are even close to being comparable.  I'd hope that he'd be given the starting job after proving he could play.

Was? Winters is still a guy who's easily replaced. There's no night & day difference to closing out 2015 and his play in 2016.

Point is bringing him back is far more expensive now than extending him a year earlier. It always is more expensive for the team to wait. 

Another example of someone far more valuable than Winters: Jordy Nelson took a cheap deal in the middle of what was then his best season in 2011. So you're simply wrong.

Right....good for the player....huh?

player like snacks knows he is good, everyone is telling him he is good from coaches to teammate to water boy from year 1

He knows all he has to to is to continue doing what he is doing for 3 more years....turn down their "lock up" offers (yes jets may have tried to lock up how do you know they didn't)

but in meantime in his leisure time he is pricing out his Porsche, mansion, swimming pool, etc...telling his family and friends woohoo money day is coming....

oh maybe I should not gamble on my self and take half the money in their lock up deal..I will have to get a smaller swimming pool....Fock that!

Was? Winters is still a guy who's easily replaced. There's no night & day difference to closing out 2015 and his play in 2016.

Point is bringing him back is far more expensive now than extending him a year earlier. It always is more expensive for the team to wait. 

Maybe they don't want him back...he is worth more in a comp

Archived