Contract Expired - The End Of Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wait.

So you think the players all wanted Fitzpatrick but the fans all wanted Geno Smith.  And so the resigning of Fitzpatrick made the players happy and angered the fanbase.

That's your thesis?

SAR I

For the sake of this argument I'm going to assume you're not trolling since I didn't even imply anything you even said in this post. 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Colin Kaepernick had his best statistical season since 2013, which was his first full season as the 49ers’ starter. Kaepernick is expected to opt out of his contract in early March. If he does not, then the 49ers would be expected to release him to avoid being on the hook for his scheduled $14.9 million pay.

the bold is not mine, couldn't get rid of it

QB's are expensive

and I'm just not discussing bringing Geno back anymore, I'm just not, lol

Kaepernick will face a tough market. Could come at a reasonable price here

3 minutes ago, August said:

It's called business. It's called being professional. If they don't like it they can get cut or lose their playing time/snaps to players that actually want to play hard no matter who the QB is. That is how you run an organization. You don't allow yourself to be held hostage by players. 

Playoff teams not only play hard but they play with confidence. In 2015 the Jets played that way even with missing the playoffs. Management felt they had a shot in 2016. The team early on played hard but for whatever reason the confidence never carried over. At the mid point of the season the playing hard was lost also. Injury, leadership and coaching all played equally into a lost season and fan frustration.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thank god.  Market pricing is way beyond your abilities.  You love a Fitz, have since day 1 and have been calling a 12 mil loser, waste of 12 mil deserving of 12 mil when no one thinks he returned 12 mil.  That you don't understand that he wasn't worth starting QB market dollars isn't on me. He had one season in 11 with more than 6 wins.  I season in 11.  He never has made the playoffs.  Ever.  You don't get top % money for one season out of 11.  He could habe been offered half and he would have accepted a raise.  

You pay the guy based on his productivity in 2015 not previous years. And the fact that the org felt they could win with him. And that he worked well with this offense, coaching staff and teammates. The idea was to have a winning season in 2016 and go with what worked. The 12 mil isn't a big sum and for a starting Qb not much. Again you did not know the future when you signed him if you did no deal. With any contract you take a chance with injuries or lack of production. If you sign Tony Romo you take a chance. He could get injured or have a bad year. A team has over 150 million in budget and spending 12 mil on a Qb is not a big deal. And a one year contract was a smart move. 

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You pay the guy based on his productivity in 2015 not previous years. And the fact that the org felt they could win with him. And that he worked well with this offense, coaching staff and teammates. The idea was to have a winning season in 2016 and go with what worked. The 12 mil isn't a big sum and for a starting Qb not much. Again you did not know the future when you signed him if you did no deal. With any contract you take a chance with injuries or lack of production. If you sign Tony Romo you take a chance. He could get injured or have a bad year. A team has over 150 million in budget and spending 12 mil on a Qb is not a big deal. And a one year contract was a smart move. 

Well then FIRE Mike Maccagnan here and now didn't he realize in 2015 the Jets played the weakest schedule in the NFL. STOP making excuses for this inept franchise. 

A 1 year contract? Then why are we charged $5 million in dead cap money in 2017? 

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Well then FIRE Mike Maccagnan here and now didn't he realize in 2015 the Jets played the weakest schedule in the NFL. STOP making excuses for this inept franchise. 

A 1 year contract? Then why are we charged $5 million in dead cap money in 2017? 

A good portion of the board GM's think dead money is free....lol

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Your way came up as wrong as wrong can be.  But you'll argue forever.  He was worth 12 mil.  A bargain.  A top half QB.  Getting paid better than top half money.  

Tony Romo has nothing to do with this, he shouldn't be signed anymore than Fitz was signed.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Your way came up as wrong as wrong can be.  But you'll argue forever.  He was worth 12 mil.  A bargain.  A top half QB.  Getting paid better than top half money.  

Tony Romo has nothing to do with this, he shouldn't be signed anymore than Fitz was signed.

You're right I'm stupid for arguing this a year later :wacko: I'll give you that one.But the team thought he was worth that money and so did many of the fans. I mean was Marshall worth the money he got paid in 2016.  I don't think you disagreed a year ago with keeping him and paying him after his great season. In other words you can't predict the future. And it wasn't all Fitz's fault last year that he sucked. As for Romo I'd sign him. And get McCown as his backup. But my preference would be TT. 

The Jets handling of Fitz was definitely one of the most Jetsiest moment of my Jets fandom.  Everything that transpired to make him the starter (Geno getting his jaw broke, Fitz being handed there reigns, the coaching staff sticking with him as if he actually could make the playoffs, announcing him the starter not under contract, letting him hold them hostage all offseason allowing him to skip all team activities, sticking with him in the midst of the worst QB'd season I've ever seen and completely screwing up the handling of the young QB's on the team and then him complaining to the media about support).  Everything these decisions impacted because of this dosey doe, was so plainly obvious it might as well have been stamped on BigMac and Bowles foreheads.  Fans ignored it but that's what fans do.  They get fooled and have stupid preferences or vendetta's and rather sees those being fulfilled than doing whats right for the team.  They prefer being "competitive" and having a fun season than doing the right thing for the long term good of the franchise.  It's just a shame that we have a coaching staff and front office that are just as naive.  

Good riddance Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He completely wasted 2 years of this franchise.  But I dont blame him, I thank Big Mac and Bowles for foolishly and blindly supporting this enormous piece of sh*t and sending this franchise back into rebuild mode 2 years after being in rebuild mode.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Jets handling of Fitz was definitely one of the most Jetsiest moment of my Jets fandom.  Everything that transpired to make him the starter (Geno getting his jaw broke, Fitz being handed there reigns, the coaching staff sticking with him as if he actually could make the playoffs, announcing him the starter not under contract, letting him hold them hostage all offseason allowing him to skip all team activities, sticking with him in the midst of the worst QB'd season I've ever seen and completely screwing up the handling of the young QB's on the team and then him complaining to the media about support).  Everything these decisions impacted because of this dosey doe, was so plainly obvious it might as well have been stamped on BigMac and Bowles foreheads.  Fans ignored it but that's what fans do.  They get fooled and have stupid preferences or vendetta's and rather sees those being fulfilled than doing whats right for the team.  They prefer being "competitive" and having a fun season than doing the right thing for the long term good of the franchise.  It's just a shame that we have a coaching staff and front office that are just as naive.  

Good riddance Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He completely wasted 2 years of this franchise.  But I dont blame him, I thank Big Mac and Bowles for foolishly and blindly supporting this enormous piece of sh*t and sending this franchise back into rebuild mode 2 years after being in rebuild mode.

.very well stated Gator. The issue now is that some here still desire to defend that atrocity. The vendettas or agendas keep this franchise in the dirt pile.

I'll give the Fitz haters credit. They were consistent in their hatred from day 1. If he threw a TD pass they would complain and say the ball was one inch away from the receiver and he got bailed out. They gave him no credit for anything. I'm sure it will be the same with them for any Qb we get this year. But they aren't right. Because in 2015 he had a good year. And it was smart to re-sign him. He was the best available Qb for the Jets in 2016. The stupid thing by the org was not resigning him it was the holdout. You do not disrupt a successful offense by playing hardball over contract with your starting Qb. You pay the guy and he would have accepted that deal  2 months earlier if not more. They accomplished nothing except throwing the team into disarray. No excuse for Fitz's performances which were terrible. He is a vet Qb and should have been above it. Again his bad year was not all his fault. It started with the holdout from a team perspective and the D put them in a hole that no Qb could have gotten them out of. Who would have known that key players on D like Revis would be terrible. And Fitz as we all know is not an elite talent. He needs help to be successful. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'll give the Fitz haters credit. They were consistent in their hatred from day 1. If he threw a TD pass they would complain and say the ball was one inch away from the receiver and he got bailed out. They gave him no credit for anything. I'm sure it will be the same with them for any Qb we get this year. But they aren't right. Because in 2015 he had a good year. And it was smart to re-sign him. He was the best available Qb for the Jets in 2016. The stupid thing by the org was no resigning him it was the holdout. You do not disrupt a successful offense by playing hardball over contract with your starting Qb. You pay the guy and he would have accepted that deal  2 months earlier if not more. They accomplished nothing except throwing the team into disarray. No excuse for Fitz's performances which were terrible. He is a vet Qb and should have been above it. Again his bad year was not all his fault. It started with the holdout from a team perspective and the D put them in a hole that no Qb could have gotten them out of. Who would have known that key players on D like Revis would be terrible. And Fitz as we all know is not an elite talent. He needs help to be successful. 

What credit does Ryan Fitzpatrick deserve? 

What did he win here? 

What did he do different that any other QB couldn't have done? 

Are you happy with the $5 million in dead cap space thanks to him?  

There was reason 31 other NFL just said no. 

When was Ryan Fitzpatrick ever successful?  

Success is measured by getting your team into the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl. 

50 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'll give the Fitz haters credit. They were consistent in their hatred from day 1. If he threw a TD pass they would complain and say the ball was one inch away from the receiver and he got bailed out. They gave him no credit for anything. I'm sure it will be the same with them for any Qb we get this year. But they aren't right. Because in 2015 he had a good year. And it was smart to re-sign him. He was the best available Qb for the Jets in 2016. The stupid thing by the org was not resigning him it was the holdout. You do not disrupt a successful offense by playing hardball over contract with your starting Qb. You pay the guy and he would have accepted that deal  2 months earlier if not more. They accomplished nothing except throwing the team into disarray. No excuse for Fitz's performances which were terrible. He is a vet Qb and should have been above it. Again his bad year was not all his fault. It started with the holdout from a team perspective and the D put them in a hole that no Qb could have gotten them out of. Who would have known that key players on D like Revis would be terrible. And Fitz as we all know is not an elite talent. He needs help to be successful. 

It just happens that Futz put himself in that position to be hatred. His holdout, his poor play, his speaking out about the team, his poor leadership. It was all on display last season. It could have been anyone who put themselves in that position that some fans here would rant about.

Some Jets fans here are just that; Jets fans, regardless of whom the particular player is. 

51 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What credit does Ryan Fitzpatrick deserve? 

What did he win here? 

What did he do different that any other QB couldn't have done? 

Are you happy with the $5 million in dead cap space thanks to him?  

There was reason 31 other NFL just said no. 

When was Ryan Fitzpatrick ever successful?  

Success is measured by getting your team into the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl. 

That $5MM in dead cap space could have been 2 Aces on ST. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

When do ST aces go into FA? The only one I can remember is Kassim Osgood

The point being that they do not have to be FA. Just better players for the Jets. Much better than the scrap heap of ST players we now have. Personally, Futz did very well for himself. His tenure and Jets legacy says otherwise IMO. 

Real organizations would've moved on and signed someone else much earlier or used the draft to find a potential replacement . No other team besides the Jets would've allowed themselves to be held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick of all people. This team and this fanbase including the media made utter fools of themselves over Fitzpatrick. But like I've said before had we not brought him back and we went 5-11 with Geno/Petty/Hackenberg or some other free agent like Hoyer or RG III. What would the narrative be? That's why in a way I'm glad he was brought back so that's one less excuse.  

41 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

It just happens that Futz put himself in that position to be hatred. His holdout, his poor play, his speaking out about the team, his poor leadership. It was all on display last season. It could have been anyone who put themselves in that position that some fans here would rant about.

Some Jets fans here are just that; Jets fans, regardless of whom the particular player is. 

So what's wrong with holding out if he didn't like that contract. It's like me telling you what salary you should accept for your work. And if you got an offer you should take it even if you think you can do better. The hatred started a long time before he held out. The stupidest argument to me by Fitz haters were the almost stats. Dude, they don't count. If you throw a completion it's not an almost incompletion or almost pick it's a reception. You can play that game for Brady etc. He'll take balls that were off the receiver and still caught. He'll take Edelman's catch any day. I liked Fitz because he was a team player. He gave it his all on the field. When he broke his thumb he came back in the game after Geno was injured and played. And in following weeks played through that injury. And he played tough taking chances and running the ball which gave us a lot of first downs in important situations. I agree it's time for him to depart. I didn't like what I saw on the field from him last season, either. Recklessness. It reminded me of my least favorite Jets Qb Mark Sanchez. 

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Jets

I think that I made it clear Futz was about Futz. His holdout hurt the Jets not his pocket. I have stated since last May that he should not be resigned. He has every right to make as much as he can. He should have been allowed to make it some place else

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I'll give the Fitz haters credit. They were consistent in their hatred from day 1. . And Fitz as we all know is not an elite talent. He needs help to be successful. 

Yes...we haters are consistent.  All teams that had FITZ as their QB hated him.   He is and always will be a below average QB that never made a playoff game, never came up big when it mattered. Only organizations like the JETS would postpone a true rebuild for this POS throw away QB.  A 10 year career of below mediocrity stands tall over a one year, decent career against the easist schedule on the books. Why anyone would believe, after 10 years of Shlt, Fitz was decent is beyond me.

I blame Woody for allowing our management team to believe a 10-6 year is acceptable.  

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You're right I'm stupid for arguing this a year later :wacko: I'll give you that one.But the team thought he was worth that money and so did many of the fans. I mean was Marshall worth the money he got paid in 2016.  I don't think you disagreed a year ago with keeping him and paying him after his great season. In other words you can't predict the future. And it wasn't all Fitz's fault last year that he sucked. As for Romo I'd sign him. And get McCown as his backup. But my preference would be TT. 

Marshall's season is directly tied into his QBs production.  Jerry Rice wouldn't be worth his paycheck in 16 with Fitz and Petty at QB. 

It was totally Fitzs fault a year ago.  I'm not blaming anyone but Fitz for Fitz sucking.  He was god awful.  You give Fitz all the credit for 2015, why he had to be paid.  But 2016 it wasn't his fault.  Nice rule for debating, you can never lose, lol

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Marshall's season is directly tied into his QBs production.  Jerry Rice wouldn't be worth his paycheck in 16 with Fitz and Petty at QB. 

It was totally Fitzs fault a year ago.  I'm not blaming anyone but Fitz for Fitz sucking.  He was god awful.  You give Fitz all the credit for 2015, why he had to be paid.  But 2016 it wasn't his fault.  Nice rule for debating, you can never lose, lol

Sure '16 was his fault but a lot of other reasons and players sucked too. You're blaming Fitz on Marshall. How many balls did he drop. And what about the defense. If they had played reasonably well and not 14 point deficits fairly early in games no reason to throw so many passes and a more balanced offense. As for '15 I never said it was all because of Fitz but he played well.  

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Sure '16 was his fault but a lot of other reasons and players sucked too. You're blaming Fitz on Marshall. How many balls did he drop. And what about the defense. If they had played reasonably well and not 14 point deficits fairly early in games no reason to throw so many passes and a more balanced offense. As for '15 I never said it was all because of Fitz but he played well.  

Better question, how many more balls did Marshall drop in 16 compared to 15?  A handful, nowhere near as many as you'd guess.  Defense?  Directly linked to the offense, field position, lost belief.  

It begins with Fitz.  

1 hour ago, August said:

Real organizations would've moved on and signed someone else much earlier or used the draft to find a potential replacement . No other team besides the Jets would've allowed themselves to be held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick of all people. This team and this fanbase including the media made utter fools of themselves over Fitzpatrick. But like I've said before had we not brought him back and we went 5-11 with Geno/Petty/Hackenberg or some other free agent like Hoyer or RG III. What would the narrative be? That's why in a way I'm glad he was brought back so that's one less excuse.  

I feel ya bro. I am happy that it clearly quieted the 'know it alls' of the board. I just hope that they learned a few things about PRO football. Some still have not though. Their narrative has now become 'because of Geno'. WTF?

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Better question, how many more balls did Marshall drop in 16 compared to 15?  A handful, nowhere near as many as you'd guess.  Defense?  Directly linked to the offense, field position, lost belief.  

It begins with Fitz.  

You're wrong. But he did suck in 2016. True story.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It begins with Fitz.  

His hold out divided the locker room

Archived