Donta Hightower - Future Jet?

Integrity28

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Hightower being better and younger than Harris is not at all the point.  And if this isn't a 1 year deal, the fact that it's only 5M net in year one is irrelevant.

Particularly when year 1 of the contract is when this team won't be contending. Maybe beyond that as well, depending on what happens QB-wise, but nobody seriously believes the Jets will be contenders in 2017. So the net for 2017 is a pay increase, whether it's $5m "net" or not.

Frankly it would be almost the full $12m "net" because they should be using one of their mid-round draft picks on an ILB, and cutting Harris outright (so Bowles doesn't see to it that he eats up all the rookie's playing time through week 17).

49 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So we are finally converting to a 6-1 defense? Unless you are suggesting that we only need 1 good Lber on our roster. 

There are ways to get LB's without spending $12M on them.  See, there's this thing called the NFL draft, and....

41 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So we are finally converting to a 6-1 defense? Unless you are suggesting that we only need 1 good Lber on our roster. 

Let's be optimistic, even unrealistically so, and project that adding Hightower gives the Jets the best ILB tandem in the NFL.  They ought to be as you have allocated the 2nd highest contract at the position as well as a 1st round pick.  Now, in this thought exercise, let's imagine you could have the best QB, OL, WRs, RB, TEs, DL, ILBs, OLBs, CBs, or Safeties.  Where would you rank having the league's best ILBs?

To ground this in reality, think about the Center position.  Jets have arguably been the best in the league at Center since 1998.  How many SB wins in that time period?  How many appearances?

This isn't a question about Hightower making the LBs better, this is a question of how smart/successful teams allocate resources.  If the Jets get him, they outbid the Pats significantly.  Considering they're a team that actually wins championships, you ought to ask why...

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fixed. ;) 

If Macc is thinking straight, he knows the only way we should be finding a franchise QB is through the draft. So we shouldn't need to pay a franchise QB big money for at least another 5 years (if we are lucky). So we can afford to overpay a little for a really talented 27 year old player in the  beginning of his prime.  

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Macc is thinking straight, he knows the only way we should be finding a franchise QB is through the draft. So we shouldn't need to pay a franchise QB big money for at least another 5 years (if we are lucky). So we can afford to overpay a little for a really talented 27 year old player in the  beginning of his prime.  

If we sign him he'll probably play two (maybe three) injury-riddled seasons before Maccagnan's successor cuts him.

Look, it's ok to overspend a few million per year on any one player (particularly if the player is the last missing piece, or integral piece, on your contending team). It's not ok to keep doing it for almost every veteran player, as we are and have been of late. The only obvious exception is Carpenter, and that's only because he's better than anyone expected (including the man who signed him, otherwise he wouldn't have first gone chasing after & seeking other FA guards).

You maybe overpay heavily for this player (at this amount) now if you're a contender now.

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Using that logic, you would never sign a high priced free agent.

At a position that is relatively unimportant when compared to, say, QB.....correct.  Signing high priced free agents at positions that don't matter much while whiffing at QB is exactly what got Tannenbaum fired, and if Macc signs Hightower for a deal this large in a year where we're not going to be competitive, he'll have gone "Full Tanny". 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

At a position that is relatively unimportant when compared to, say, QB.....correct.  Signing high priced free agents at positions that don't matter much while whiffing at QB is exactly what got Tannenbaum fired, and if Macc signs Hightower for a deal this large in a year where we're not going to be competitive, he'll have gone "Full Tanny". 

No way. I heard he gets it now. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't say that when the Pats are willing to pay him 10m though. 

Big players get big money, that's the way it goes. Only way this signing makes sense is if we go Edge at #6. I like Hightower a 27year old David Harris is fine by me won't mind the signing, won't freak out with joy either. He's a great player and it never hurts adding that kind of talent, and if we're finding our qb next year we might not be that far away from some winning seasons than most people think.

10 hours ago, gEYno said:

Let's be optimistic, even unrealistically so, and project that adding Hightower gives the Jets the best ILB tandem in the NFL.  They ought to be as you have allocated the 2nd highest contract at the position as well as a 1st round pick.  Now, in this thought exercise, let's imagine you could have the best QB, OL, WRs, RB, TEs, DL, ILBs, OLBs, CBs, or Safeties.  Where would you rank having the league's best ILBs?

To ground this in reality, think about the Center position.  Jets have arguably been the best in the league at Center since 1998.  How many SB wins in that time period?  How many appearances?

This isn't a question about Hightower making the LBs better, this is a question of how smart/successful teams allocate resources.  If the Jets get him, they outbid the Pats significantly.  Considering they're a team that actually wins championships, you ought to ask why...

I don't consider 2-3m to be significant. And that is the range that it is thought to be

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We are exactly 308 days from the first occurance of this being called a Woody Johnson move, and 647 days from consensus.

Either that or it'll be called a "no choice" move. After clearing cap space by cutting Breno and Mangold and Marshall, he had to spend this money.

28 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We are exactly 308 days from the first occurance of this being called a Woody Johnson move, and 647 days from consensus.

While I'm not calling it a woody move, it would not surprise me at all if Woody is in the background saying you better not field a 1-15 team so bring in some talent. This is the problem with an awful, disfunctional owner.

13 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't consider 2-3m to be significant. And that is the range that it is thought to be

Go to your boss and ask for a 20-30% raise, and see if he/she thinks it's significant.

Once that's done, go look online at jobs, find ones for far less successful organizations, that would require you to uproot your family, and that provide insignificant increase in compensation, and tell me about why you'd take them, just like Hightower might.

Just now, NoBowles said:

While I'm not calling it a woody move, it would not surprise me at all if Woody is in the background saying you better not field a 1-15 team so bring in some talent. This is the problem with an awful, disfunctional owner.

The fans and Woody. The synergy of idiocy.

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If that were true, Jay Cutler would already be a Jet... Woody doesn't know who Donta Hightower is.

I would take a guy with two rings and is only 27, thats the cut line, we should be ready to compete in 2 years (hopefully) and he can bring a work ethic and leadership, which this team needs and help show the way to some of the young guys.

I would be excited with this signing.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Bottom line: Pats pay him 10m = Great signing

Jets pay him 12m = Overpay

Your lack of understanding as to why this is largely true is why you should stick to tweeting about the Bachelor.

Just now, gEYno said:

Your lack of understanding as to why this is largely true is why you should stick to tweeting about the Bachelor.

No I understand it. I just don't find it to be fair. Why are the Pats allowed to waste money and the Jets aren't? That doesn't seem just to me.

As for the Bachelor, that was the first time I had seen the finale of the Bachelor since the early-mid 2000s. They won't last 3 weeks

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If that were true, Jay Cutler would already be a Jet... Woody doesn't know who Donta Hightower is.

Im not suggesting Woody is making calls on particular players, but I am suggesting he can be saying, hey, remember what happened to your predecessor when he fielded an awful team with all that cap space sitting around?

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Bottom line: Pats pay him 10m = Great signing

Jets pay him 12m = Overpay

Pats are in win now mode, they probably see a 2 year window to win. Jets are not winning in the next two years no matter what they do, so spending big $$ on an ILB is insanity for them, while makes total sense for the Pats.

Just now, NoBowles said:

Pats are in win now mode, they probably see a 2 year window to win. Jets are not winning in the next two years no matter what they do, so spending big $$ on an ILB is insanity for them, while makes total sense for the Pats.

Again, the double standard. Pats are allowed to waste money. Jets aren't. I find that unfair.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Again, the double standard. Pats are allowed to waste money. Jets aren't. I find that unfair.

There is no double standard at all, and the Jets are "allowed" to do whatever they want. It doesn't change the fact that they are in completely different positions and the two are not equatable in any way shape or form.

Archived