Why Jets and Tryout/UDFA QB Dane Evans are Ideal fit

JetNation

Dane.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

One of the key talking points in relation to the New York Jets at the conclusion of last week’s NFL draft was the fact that GM Mike Maccagnan turned seven picks into nine picks and didn’t use any of them on a quarterback at any point.  Despite having only Josh McCown and a pair of developmental QB’s in Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg in place, the Jets didn’t see a need to use another pick on a developmental signal caller.

They did however, add one as an undrafted free agent once the draft came to a close in strong-armed quarterback Dane Evans out of Tulsa.

Once viewed as a top-10 sleeper QB by NFL.comEvans has plenty of traits that give him a chance to make an NFL roster, even if it means spending some time on somebody’s practice squad for a little while. but here’s what we found after watching Evans in action against some quality opponents.

Strengths:

• Enough arm strength to make all the throws
  • Quick release
  • Very accurate on slants/in routes
  • Above average mobility
  • Keeps composure under duress
  • Pedigree.  Son of a HS football coach, started calling his own plays a year before starting his college career
  • Threw 8 TD’s/0 INT’s and 678 yds with 67% comp pct in 2 bowl games

Weaknesses: 

• Checks in at just 6′ tall
  • Simplified one-read offense
  • Rarely played from under center
  • Inconsistent deep ball placement
  • Struggled against top competition

If the Jets do adopt a west coast offense as some anticipate with new coordinator John Morton, Evans could be an excellent fit based on his ability to delivery the ball quickly and accurately on short/quick routes, with more than enough arm strength to connect on the deep ball to keep defenses honest.

According to PFF.com, Evans was second in the entire nation in 2015 in yards through the air on passes that travelled 20 yards or more (1,609) in 2015, then with a new offensive coordinator in 2016, he saw that number dip to 1,059 yards, which was still good enough for 17th in the country.

In 46 career starts at Tulsa, Evans threw 84 touchdowns to 47 interceptions while completing just 57.3% of his passes.  However, before changing offensive coordinators after his Junior season, Evans played his best collegiate football in 2015, tossing 25 TD’s and just 8 INT’s with a 62.9% completion percentage.

While there was no NFL combine invite for Evans, he managed to stand out at his pro day, registering a radar gun reading of 63 MPH which would have placed him at the top of this year’s class by 3 MPH (Pat Mahomes 60 MPH), while impressing onlookers with a crisp throwing session that reportedly included a strong 2-minute drill.

As is the case with any udrafted free agent, Evans is a longshot to make the Jets roster, but with such a dismal quarterback situation, he chose wisely in coming to the Jets, because if he will make a 53-man roster somewhere, it would likely be with Gang Green.

However, even if Evans isn’t ready to stick on an active roster, a spot on the practice squad could be a nice fit for him and the Jets, who carried four quarterbacks last season but would prefer not to do so again in 2017.

In discussing the likelihood of making it in the pro’s, Evans was fast to point out the fact that 33 undrafted free agents took part in last year’s Super Bowl.  He may be, actually, he IS a million miles from any such goals right now, but it may not be long before Jets fans find themselves asking who the kid from Tulane is, and before he knows it, Evans is going to get a chance to show us.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4cQGM06usYw

Click here to read the full story...

He needs to develop some touch.  Lots of overthrown balls either over the WR or harder than they needed to be.  Seems to me that's something you can learn more easily than how to throw hard, which he can definitely do.  Not going to be excited about this yet but if he helps push the two young guys we have, that would be nice.

Evans is extremely raw in terms of passing skills. He can throw it with the best of them but lacks touch and decision making capability. Can he learn these things? Maybe. He does have the tools and should wind up on the practice squad with a good showing. A guy who you stash away and groom and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Those two Bowl Game numbers are sick! But then they say he struggles against top competition in his weaknesses? Wouldn't the two bowl teams be pretty good? He sounds a lot like Chase Daniel.

Not really.  One of the Bowl Games was Western Michigan and the other was VT.  Teams don't really need to be "top" teams to get to a Bowl game, but it is a bigger spotlight so it's nice that he played well.

He had some TERRIBLE games against Houston who has one of the top secondaries in the country, Oklahoma in one of their meetings, and for some odd reason, he was sooo bad against UCF in three games (31-71, 43.7%, 5 TD's, 6 INT's), and UCF isn't exactly a powerhouse.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Those two Bowl Game numbers are sick! But then they say he struggles against top competition in his weaknesses? Wouldn't the two bowl teams be pretty good? He sounds a lot like Chase Daniel.

Thrower. Not a passer.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Not really.  One of the Bowl Games was Western Michigan and the other was VT.  Teams don't really need to be "top" teams to get to a Bowl game, but it is a bigger spotlight so it's nice that he played well.

He had some TERRIBLE games against Houston who has one of the top secondaries in the country, Oklahoma in one of their meetings, and for some odd reason, he was sooo bad against UCF in three games (31-71, 43.7%, 5 TD's, 6 INT's), and UCF isn't exactly a powerhouse.

VT held the #2 overall pick to 3 points.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

VT held the #2 overall pick to 3 points.

They were 7-6 and 59th in the country in PPG against.  I wouldn't classify that as top competition.

21 minutes ago, Powpow said:

reminds me of Petty lol

Literally the exact same thought crossed my mind.  Their throwing mechanics are even similar lol.  He'll make a decent PS project if he plays well this weekend.

The Jets absolutely need a PS QB.

Based on past experience, if the Jets start the season with 3 QBs on the 53, what are the chances that all 3 make it through the season unscathed?  Pretty much zippo.

This is exactly the type of QB that does well in the WCO.  On the smaller side, quick release, smart. 

I was thinking about this this morning.  I have to say, the biggest misgiving I have on the Jets draft is that they did not add another QB to the mix, even in a later round.

Kaaya in the 5th, Peterman in the 6th were good picks where selected.   Even Chad Kelly as Mr. Irrelevant by the Broncos (who have Siemian, another late pick).   I think NFL teams is starting to justifiably value developmental QBs a bit lower.  I would have liked to see the Jets sign Torgersen from Penn, but he signed with the Falcons.  Watch him make the 53.

Taking Petty in the high 4th, Hack in the 2nd, Grayson in the 3rd, etc.  were not smart use of draft picks.

Hopefully the Jets view Evans as a good alternative to Peterman for their offense.

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

They were 7-6 and 59th in the country in PPG against.  I wouldn't classify that as top competition.

I think you're missing his point here. He had a good game against a team that held Trubisky to 3 points. As a comparison.

Archived