Could 2018 be like 1983, maybe 2004?

Villain The Foe

Well, could it be? 2014 reminded many people of 1996 when it came to the wide receiver class, and from the looks of it, it seems like 2018 will be a deep draft class for the most important position in all of sports…the quarterback position. The 1983 draft is considered the “Gold Standard” when it comes to the QB’s drafted and the overall success of that class, however the 2004 class isn’t too shabby and can be considered the “Silver Standard”. Either way, if the 2018 draft is what we expect it to be, this could be a very important draft for this Jets Front Office and we probably will see an actual Franchise QB within many of our lifetimes. 

Lets look at the names and accolades of the memorable 1983 and 2004 class and what this 2018 class is stacked up against.

The “Gold” Standard

1983 saw a total of 6 QB’s drafted in the 1st round…

#1. John Elway: Drafted 1st overall by the Colts

#2. Todd Blackledge: Drafted #7th overall by the Chiefs

#3. Jim Kelly: Drafted 14th overall by the Bills

#4. Tony Eason: Drafted 15th overall by the Cheats

#5. Ken O’Brien: Drafted 24th overall by our NY Jets

#6. Dan Marino: Drafted 27th overall by the Dolphins

This draft class produced 3 HOF’ers (Elway, Kelly, Marino) 2 MVP awards, 2 Superbowl wins, 11 Superbowl appearances, 499 wins, almost 200,000 passing yards over 1,200 TD’s and numerous probowl selections.

The 1983 Class was by far a top heavy class. The next QB selected after Dan Marino was Jeff Christensen, at pick #137 in the 5th round of the draft. That’s how much the top of the crop separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Now lets move onto…

The “Silver” Standard

The 2004 draft saw a total of 4 QB’s drafted in the 1st round along with a gem in mid rounds.

#1. Eli Manning: Drafted 1st overall by the chargers

#2. Phillip Rivers: Drafted 4th overall by the Giants

#3. Ben Roethlisberger: Drafted 11th overall by the Steelers

#4. J.P. Losman: Drafted 22nd by the Bills

#5. Matt Schaub: Drafted 90th by the Falcons

2004 actually started off a lot like 1983. 1st overall pick John Elway forced a trade by the Colts to the Broncos where he went on to win 2 championships while riding off into the sunset…which that sunset being upstairs in the Front office when he retired and actually got another SB win as a GM. 1st overall pick Eli Manning and the Manning Family forced a trade from the Chargers over to the NY Giants where he went on to win 2 SB championships along with 2 SB MVP’s against the Cheats. Lets take a short intermission and enjoy this video clip.

**** Tom Brady. Okay, moving on. This is what this draft class has produced so far. 4 superbowl wins, 5 superbowl appearances, 3 future HOF’ers, numerous probowls and Matt Schaub in particular lead the league in passing yards in 2009, was a 2-time probowler (should have been a 3 time probowler…”2012”, but anyway) and put together some really respectable numbers before the last 4 years of his career kinda tarnished it, but he still holds a 64% comp average for his career with a 133-90 TD-INT Ratio.

As we can see, both classes certainly have multiple all-time greats and in the case of 2004, you even have a mid round gem…something that I believe this 2018 could very well have given the amount of players at this position that could declare for the draft relevant to their talent. Lets take a look at this potential 2018 NFL QB draft class. Please take note, this isn’t my personal order, but the order in respects to hype/popularity. With that said, here’s the top 10 prospects for 2018.

#1. Lamar Jackson: Junior, Louisville.

2016 Stat line:  230-409, 3,543 yards, 56.2% comp. 30TD’s 9INT’s 148.8 Passer Rating

#2. Sam Darnold, also known around these parts as…“The Jets future”: RS Sophomore, USC.

2016 Stat line: 246-366, 3,086 yards, 67.2% comp. 31TD’s 9INT’s 161.1 Passer Rating.

#3. Josh Allen: Junior, Wyoming.

2016 Stat line: 209-373, 3,203 yards, 56% comp. 28TD’s 15INT’s 144.9 Passer Rating.

#4. Josh Rosen, cleverly named by some here as “Broadway Jew”: Junior UCLA

2016 Stat line: 137-231, 1,915 yards 59.3% comp. 10TD’s 5INT’s 138.9 Passer Rating.

#5. Baker Mayfield: Senior, Oklahoma.

2016 Stat Line: 254-358, 3,965 yards, 71% Comp. 40TD’s 8 INT’s 196.4 Passer Rating.

#6. Luke Falk: Senior, Washington State.

2016 Stat Line: 443-633, 4,468 yards, 70% Comp. 38TD’s 11INT’s 145.6 Passer Rating.

#7. Mason Rudolph: Senior, Oklahoma State.

2016 Stat Line: 284-448 4,091 yards, 63.4% Comp. 28TD’s 4INT’s 158.9 Passer Rating.

#8. Trace McSorley: Junior, Penn State.

2016 Stat Line: 224-387, 3,614 yards, 57.9% Comp. 29TD’s 8INT’s 156.9 Passer Rating.

#9. Jake Browning: Junior, Washington.

2016 Stat Line: 243-391, 3,430 yards, 62.1% Comp. 43TD’s 9INT’s 167.5 Passer Rating.

#10. Deondre Francois: RS Sophomore, Florida State.

2016 Stat Line: 235-400, 3,350 yards, 58.8% Comp. 20TD’s 7INT’s 142.1 Passer Rating.

This draft could have a mixture of 1983 and 2004 given that 5 or 6 QB’s could very well be drafted in the 1st round as well as some Gems found in the mid rounds like in 2004. This QB class could shape up to be one of the best of all time. It truly could be legendary. Most importantly, this could mean that we don’t have to “suck” for a franchise QB or have to trade up. If we hold a top 10 to top 15 pick (and that will most likely be the case) we will have our pickings of anywhere from 6 to 8 of these QB’s considering that we don’t have a top 3 pick. Honestly, if you think about it, we could possibly see more than 6 QB’s go in the 1st round of the draft. That’s how hype this 2018 QB class has become. People were talking about the 2018 draft before the 2017 draft actually began. The hype is real! But to support the notion, the 2017 draft was viewed as a relatively “raw” draft class with inconsistent, raw, yet talented QB’s at the top of this class. The 2017 draft seen the Bears jump out the window to trade up one spot for Mitchell Trubisky, we seen the Chiefs trade up to draft Mahomes and we seen the Texans trade up to get Watson. Whats the point? In a draft class considered “relatively raw”, we seen all of this trading action that occurred within the FIRST 12 PICKS OF THE FIRST ROUND. Trubisky went 2nd overall, Mahomes rounded off the top 10 and Watson was right behind him at 12. And the funniest thing, the Browns snatches the guy most believe to have the most physical gifts of all of the QB’s in the 2nd round. If this is what happens in a draft that is considered raw, what’s going to happen when people can easily make a case for how the top 10 QB’s in 2018 is better than that QB that was drafted last season 2nd overall? Or when this draft class is considered “1983” or “2004” all over again? One thing we know for certain, the 2018 NFL Draft will be epic. The amount of potential QB’s drafted in the 1st round can certainly push 1st round talent at other positions down into the 2nd round. Teams like the Browns who are holding multiple high draft picks can really revamp their team, and not just at the QB position. And speaking of the QB position, if Deshone Kizer pans out for Cleveland, the position they would be in would be even more phenomenal. The Browns hold a total of 5 picks in the first 2 rounds next year. 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders. They also have a 3rd round pick. The foundation for this draft is already looking epic.

If I can get a thumbs up from the shadowy elite-figures here (Hey mods! ^_^) I'd like to provide weekly content on the 2018 college QB class throughout the college/NFL season here on Jetnation.com since you guys are looking for content creators.

I will not cover all 10 QB’s performances per week, but I will probably discuss the two best performances/two worst performances each along with an honorable mention in order to maintain some variation with the analysis. So I should be writing about 5 of those QB's per week...varying based on performance of that particular week. I will not base my reviews off of highlights but instead I will be watching the actual games. The plan is to watch 2 games per day throughout the week so I can then figure who had what performance and what group of QB's I will actually write on for the week. With that I can probably get those weekly articles out by the following Friday, that should give me enough time to watch all of their games, but more importantly the opportunity for all to read up on what the QB's did before their next set of games. Also, the plan is to be as unbiased as possible. I have favorites in this class, (Mayfield, Browning, Falk) but I will give a fair and balanced opinion based on what I see on the field. I'll deal with the facts mostly and my opinions will be based on the facts presented. 

Week 1 of College football begins August 26th. Content will begin during that time. However for now, this post is to set the foundation and get everyone's opinion on the upcoming QB class and the QB's you like/dislike. 

Villain 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Seems too good to be true

IMG_0429.PNG

If Hack or Petty don't make it, Jet go ALL OUT for QB they will mortgage everything. Any way they don't if they find a Bridge QB and are they any coming up in FA next year?

7 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

If Hack or Petty don't make it, Jet go ALL OUT for QB they will mortgage everything. Any way they don't if they find a Bridge QB and are they any coming up in FA next year?

Allow me to tell you your Jets Future:

-McCown starts first ten games, goes 3-7, sprains ankle.

-Hackenberg starts final six games, posts these stats: 57% passing, 6 TDs, 6 INTs, 6.4 ypa. Team goes 3-3.

-Jets convince themselves that's good enough, draft CB or DE in 2018.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Allow me to tell you your Jets Future:

-McCown starts first ten games, goes 3-7, sprains ankle.

-Hackenberg starts final six games, posts these stats: 57% passing, 6 TDs, 6 INTs, 6.4 ypa. Team goes 3-3.

-Jets convince themselves that's good enough, draft CB or DE in 2018.

Your just relying on them being so Jetsy..

Ok your probably right :-)

This is why Hackenberg ABSOLUTELY HAS TO START game 1. Anything else is a complete disaster. Either he completely sucks, like most people think he will, and we get a top crack at one of these guys, or, he gets his mechanics down and reaches his potential and we have our guy. 

I know there are potential in-between scenarios, like he shows some promise, and we win some games, but I think that is the least likely scenario. 

When you look at Hack, I'd put his probability distribution at something like this:

outcome : p(Outcome)

Elite Franchise QB : 2%

Top 10 QB : 8%

Bottom 20 QB : 5%

Total Bust : 85%

I think he either gets his mechanics down, or doesn't. If he does, and he is as smart as everyone says he is, he will be our answer at QB, if  not, he will be a total bust. So he is almost boolean in his possibilities. 

We absolutely have to know where he is on the distribution by the end of this season. We cannot finish this season 6-10 with McCown followed by 2 weeks of Hackenberg. It will be a total disaster.

By the end of the next draft, we need to either have Hack miraculously be our guy, or draft our guy. No other outcome is acceptable.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, could it be? 2014 reminded many people of 1996 when it came to the wide receiver class, and from the looks of it, it seems like 2018 will be a deep draft class for the most important position in all of sports…the quarterback position. The 1983 draft is considered the “Gold Standard” when it comes to the QB’s drafted and the overall success of that class, however the 2004 class isn’t too shabby and can be considered the “Silver Standard”. Either way, if the 2018 draft is what we expect it to be, this could be a very important draft for this Jets Front Office and we probably will see an actual Franchise QB within many of our lifetimes. 

Lets look at the names and accolades of the memorable 1983 and 2004 class and what this 2018 class is stacked up against.

The “Gold” Standard

1983 saw a total of 6 QB’s drafted in the 1st round…

#1. John Elway: Drafted 1st overall by the Colts

#2. Todd Blackledge: Drafted #7th overall by the Chiefs

#3. Jim Kelly: Drafted 14th overall by the Bills

#4. Tony Eason: Drafted 15th overall by the Cheats

#5. Ken O’Brien: Drafted 24th overall by our NY Jets

#6. Dan Marino: Drafted 27th overall by the Dolphins

This draft class produced 3 HOF’ers (Elway, Kelly, Marino) 2 MVP awards, 2 Superbowl wins, 11 Superbowl appearances, 499 wins, almost 200,000 passing yards over 1,200 TD’s and numerous probowl selections.

The 1983 Class was by far a top heavy class. The next QB selected after Dan Marino was Jeff Christensen, at pick #137 in the 5th round of the draft. That’s how much the top of the crop separated themselves from the rest of the pack. Now lets move onto…

The “Silver” Standard

The 2004 draft saw a total of 4 QB’s drafted in the 1st round along with a gem in mid rounds.

#1. Eli Manning: Drafted 1st overall by the chargers

#2. Phillip Rivers: Drafted 4th overall by the Giants

#3. Ben Roethlisberger: Drafted 11th overall by the Steelers

#4. J.P. Losman: Drafted 22nd by the Bills

#5. Matt Schaub: Drafted 90th by the Falcons

2004 actually started off a lot like 1983. 1st overall pick John Elway forced a trade by the Colts to the Broncos where he went on to win 2 championships while riding off into the sunset…which that sunset being upstairs in the Front office when he retired and actually got another SB win as a GM. 1st overall pick Eli Manning and the Manning Family forced a trade from the Chargers over to the NY Giants where he went on to win 2 SB championships along with 2 SB MVP’s against the Cheats. Lets take a short intermission and enjoy this video clip.

**** Tom Brady. Okay, moving on. This is what this draft class has produced so far. 4 superbowl wins, 5 superbowl appearances, 3 future HOF’ers, numerous probowls and Matt Schaub in particular lead the league in passing yards in 2009, was a 2-time probowler (should have been a 3 time probowler…”2012”, but anyway) and put together some really respectable numbers before the last 4 years of his career kinda tarnished it, but he still holds a 64% comp average for his career with a 133-90 TD-INT Ratio.

As we can see, both classes certainly have multiple all-time greats and in the case of 2004, you even have a mid round gem…something that I believe this 2018 could very well have given the amount of players at this position that could declare for the draft relevant to their talent. Lets take a look at this potential 2018 NFL QB draft class. Please take note, this isn’t my personal order, but the order in respects to hype/popularity. With that said, here’s the top 10 prospects for 2018.

#1. Lamar Jackson: Junior, Louisville.

2016 Stat line:  230-409, 3,543 yards, 56.2% comp. 30TD’s 9INT’s 148.8 Passer Rating

#2. Sam Darnold, also known around these parts as…“The Jets future”: RS Sophomore, USC.

2016 Stat line: 246-366, 3,086 yards, 67.2% comp. 31TD’s 9INT’s 161.1 Passer Rating.

#3. Josh Allen: Junior, Wyoming.

2016 Stat line: 209-373, 3,203 yards, 56% comp. 28TD’s 15INT’s 144.9 Passer Rating.

#4. Josh Rosen, cleverly named by some here as “Broadway Jew”: Junior UCLA

2016 Stat line: 137-231, 1,915 yards 59.3% comp. 10TD’s 5INT’s 138.9 Passer Rating.

#5. Baker Mayfield: Senior, Oklahoma.

2016 Stat Line: 254-358, 3,965 yards, 71% Comp. 40TD’s 8 INT’s 196.4 Passer Rating.

#6. Luke Falk: Senior, Washington State.

2016 Stat Line: 443-633, 4,468 yards, 70% Comp. 38TD’s 11INT’s 145.6 Passer Rating.

#7. Mason Rudolph: Senior, Oklahoma State.

2016 Stat Line: 284-448 4,091 yards, 63.4% Comp. 28TD’s 4INT’s 158.9 Passer Rating.

#8. Trace McSorley: Junior, Penn State.

2016 Stat Line: 224-387, 3,614 yards, 57.9% Comp. 29TD’s 8INT’s 156.9 Passer Rating.

#9. Jake Browning: Junior, Washington.

2016 Stat Line: 243-391, 3,430 yards, 62.1% Comp. 43TD’s 9INT’s 167.5 Passer Rating.

#10. Deondre Francois: RS Sophomore, Florida State.

2016 Stat Line: 235-400, 3,350 yards, 58.8% Comp. 20TD’s 7INT’s 142.1 Passer Rating.

This draft could have a mixture of 1983 and 2004 given that 5 or 6 QB’s could very well be drafted in the 1st round as well as some Gems found in the mid rounds like in 2004. This QB class could shape up to be one of the best of all time. It truly could be legendary. Most importantly, this could mean that we don’t have to “suck” for a franchise QB or have to trade up. If we hold a top 10 to top 15 pick (and that will most likely be the case) we will have our pickings of anywhere from 6 to 8 of these QB’s considering that we don’t have a top 3 pick. Honestly, if you think about it, we could possibly see more than 6 QB’s go in the 1st round of the draft. That’s how hype this 2018 QB class has become. People were talking about the 2018 draft before the 2017 draft actually began. The hype is real! But to support the notion, the 2017 draft was viewed as a relatively “raw” draft class with inconsistent, raw, yet talented QB’s at the top of this class. The 2017 draft seen the Bears jump out the window to trade up one spot for Mitchell Trubisky, we seen the Chiefs trade up to draft Mahomes and we seen the Texans trade up to get Watson. Whats the point? In a draft class considered “relatively raw”, we seen all of this trading action that occurred within the FIRST 12 PICKS OF THE FIRST ROUND. Trubisky went 2nd overall, Mahomes rounded off the top 10 and Watson was right behind him at 12. And the funniest thing, the Browns snatches the guy most believe to have the most physical gifts of all of the QB’s in the 2nd round. If this is what happens in a draft that is considered raw, what’s going to happen when people can easily make a case for how the top 10 QB’s in 2018 is better than that QB that was drafted last season 2nd overall? Or when this draft class is considered “1983” or “2004” all over again? One thing we know for certain, the 2018 NFL Draft will be epic. The amount of potential QB’s drafted in the 1st round can certainly push 1st round talent at other positions down into the 2nd round. Teams like the Browns who are holding multiple high draft picks can really revamp their team, and not just at the QB position. And speaking of the QB position, if Deshone Kizer pans out for Cleveland, the position they would be in would be even more phenomenal. The Browns hold a total of 5 picks in the first 2 rounds next year. 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders. They also have a 3rd round pick. The foundation for this draft is already looking epic.

If I can get a thumbs up from the shadowy elite-figures here (Hey mods! ^_^) I'd like to provide weekly content on the 2018 college QB class throughout the college/NFL season here on Jetnation.com since you guys are looking for content creators.

I will not cover all 10 QB’s performances per week, but I will probably discuss the two best performances/two worst performances each along with an honorable mention in order to maintain some variation with the analysis. So I should be writing about 5 of those QB's per week...varying based on performance of that particular week. I will not base my reviews off of highlights but instead I will be watching the actual games. The plan is to watch 2 games per day throughout the week so I can then figure who had what performance and what group of QB's I will actually write on for the week. With that I can probably get those weekly articles out by the following Friday, that should give me enough time to watch all of their games, but more importantly the opportunity for all to read up on what the QB's did before their next set of games. Also, the plan is to be as unbiased as possible. I have favorites in this class, (Mayfield, Browning, Falk) but I will give a fair and balanced opinion based on what I see on the field. I'll deal with the facts mostly and my opinions will be based on the facts presented. 

Week 1 of College football begins August 26th. Content will begin during that time. However for now, this post is to set the foundation and get everyone's opinion on the upcoming QB class and the QB's you like/dislike. 

Villain 

Hey, V. Why is Lamar #1 on here?

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is why Hackenberg ABSOLUTELY HAS TO START game 1. Anything else is a complete disaster. Either he completely sucks, like most people think he will, and we get a top crack at one of these guys, or, he gets his mechanics down and reaches his potential and we have our guy. 

I know there are potential in-between scenarios, like he shows some promise, and we win some games, but I think that is the least likely scenario. 

When you look at Hack, I'd put his probability distribution at something like this:

I think he either gets his mechanics down, or doesn't. If he does, and he is as smart as everyone says he is, he will be our answer at QB, if  not, he will be a total bust. So he is almost boolean in his possibilities. 

We absolutely have to know where he is on the distribution by the end of this season. We cannot finish this season 6-10 with McCown followed by 2 weeks of Hackenberg. It will be a total disaster.

By the end of the next draft, we need to either have Hack miraculously be our guy, or draft our guy. No other outcome is acceptable.

Should have used last season to find this out.

Serious question here.

Are there examples in NFL history of college qbs with bad accuracy/ mediocre or uneven college careers who managed to correct their accuracy/ mechanics to the extent that they became outstanding NFL quarterbacks ?

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should have used last season to find this out.

I have no problem with giving him a year to reset his brain. Regardless of who is to blame, his head was not right. It likely won't be now either, but I have no problem giving him the year. We should have seen more of Petty last year, but I think we saw enough.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I have no problem with giving him a year to reset his brain. Regardless of who is to blame, his head was not right. It likely won't be now either, but I have no problem giving him the year. We should have seen more of Petty last year, but I think we saw enough.

Jets motto "theres always next year" since 1968.

@Villain The Foe there are more than a couple of FA QBs next year, too atm.  That can change before now and the end of the season just like these prospects.  I seem to remember another draft class, maybe the one with Teddy Ballgame that everyone was talking about next year being QB heavy on talent.  We shall see.

52 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Serious question here.

Are there examples in NFL history of college qbs with bad accuracy/ mediocre or uneven college careers who managed to correct their accuracy/ mechanics to the extent that they became outstanding NFL quarterbacks ?

Not many. Warren Moon was under 50% in college, and Favre was about 52%, IIRC.

50 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

@Villain The Foe there are more than a couple of FA QBs next year, too atm.  That can change before now and the end of the season just like these prospects.  I seem to remember another draft class, maybe the one with Teddy Ballgame that everyone was talking about next year being QB heavy on talent.  We shall see.

I guess if somene explodes onto the scene then I'll have to cover them. The top 10 is pretty much as it stands today but for sure that is subject to change

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

there's a raft of free agent qb's for next season lead by cousins, stafford and carr.  some promising names like garafalo and bradford but then a who bunch of guys like sanchez,  mccown, stanton, yates, savage, bridgewater, etc. drew brees is also a free agent but he's 38.

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I agree. This is why I have a problem with the McCown signing. Complete waste of a roster spot and cap dollars. Im not saying to just give Hackenberg the job, but we should be bringing guys in who could be potential starters for this team, not a "stop gap". With that said, I prefer for Hackenberg to get on the field...and early. We need to know if his redshirt year established some progression. im not saying that he has to look like the Franchise QB immediately, but he has to show promise. However, we wont know anything if we continue to pick up stop gaps and keep young guys on the bench. 

Also, if he plays decent it doesnt mean that we cant draft a QB. We have options. I absolutely agree that if Hack doesnt start this year its an absolute failure. 

Archived