Jet players don't look at 2017 as rebuilding year

Patriot Killa

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/07/jets-players-dont-see-it-as-a-rebuilding-year/amp/

Recent comments from Jets owner Woody Johnson created the impression that he regards 2017 as a rebuilding year. The veteran quarterback Johnson hired this offseason brings a much different perspective.

“In an organization, you have different facets,” Josh McCown said on Friday’s PFT Live. “And obviously the owner kind of sets the tone and the pace in which he wants the organization to go, because he’s the owner. And then you have management and the coaches and the players.

“From a player level, once they set that vision in regards to how they view things, when you’re in it in the locker room, your mindset’s never like, ‘Hey, this is a rebuilding year, so let’s not work as hard or let’s not do this or let’s not do that.’ As competitors, your mindset is to go win every game and go play as hard as you can. So you don’t really look at it that way, and so how they view it as they take a wider vision and wider view of the future for them, that’s how they view it. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But for us as players, our job, what we get paid to do is to go out and play as hard as we can, prepare ourselves and go compete to win every football game. So that’s the mindset, and the vibe has been great so far these first three weeks. . . . Very positive, very upbeat.”

That’s the right view for the players to take, because their own careers ride on their ability to perform at an acceptable level, regardless of what the team achieves. And it doesn’t hurt to have low expectations. With that comes reduced pressure, a chip on their shoulders, and the absence of a target on their backs.

So they can focus on trying to become a team that will get off to a decent start, build some momentum, and maybe do something more than rebuild. Every year, there’s a team or two that surprises everyone with that kind of a showing. Regardless of what ownership thinks, that’s what the players are striving for.

For more from McCown, including whether he expected the team to draft a quarterback, what he does to stay healthy and in shape late in his career, and whether coaching is in his future, check out the full video.

Anyone on here watch a little NHL?...maybe CAPS fans. The rebuilding Toronto Maple Leafs scared the absolute crap out of the first place Washington Caps in the playoffs.... anything can happen

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

The culture change is already taking effect. 

Big change from the days when Sanchez was laughing at Namath about fumbling and field vision and acting like he knew it all.  

I didn't want McCown but he is singing the right notes to me 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

sh*t like this makes me hope that McCown tears an acl walking to the first practice of training camp. 

IMO you can't hope for injuries to your own players. 

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. 

I actually don't consider this a rebuilding year.  It's more like a bottoming out year.  We don't have 2018's QB on our roster and will signal the Jets rebirth into relevance.

We have Williams, Jenkins, Lee, and the new safeties on defense and a bunch of young WRs.

This year will be about those defensive stars and WRs getting experience.  Seeing what we have with the young, inexperienced OL, corner, and pass rushing OLB would expedite the Jets improving in 2018.

McCown can say what ever he wants but when you're 2-22 the last three seasons, you're not leading anybody to anything except a top draft pick.

28 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

IMO you can't hope for injuries to your own players. 

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. 

I don't think you should wish injury on any player

but

When you've had a long career and you're guaranteed 6 million and you're not a part of the future, and I don't trust my coach to make the prudent decision, then I make an exception. I would hope he makes a full recovery and retires without much pain

No one really has a clue how things could go. If Hackenberg starts & has some success, or even Petty (not that I saw anything from Bryce last year). Success breeds success. Hack could play well, firing up his WRs & everyone gives that extra 10%. Defense gets pumped up, causes some turnovers, offense takes advantage of field position.

The 1st 5 games are not killers. I think players on this team were looking for leaders & we had none. Players coming into this next camp might be thinking, you know what? Maybe I can lead by example by just DOING MY JOB.

I know it's Belichicks phrase but it says everything about success in football. DO YOUR JOB. 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

No one really has a clue how things could go. If Hackenberg starts & has some success, or even Petty (not that I saw anything from Bryce last year). Success breeds success. Hack could play well, firing up his WRs & everyone gives that extra 10%. Defense gets pumped up, causes some turnovers, offense takes advantage of field position.

The 1st 5 games are not killers. I think players on this team were looking for leaders & we had none. Players coming into this next camp might be thinking, you know what? Maybe I can lead by example by just DOING MY JOB.

I know it's Belichicks phrase but it says everything about success in football. DO YOUR JOB. 

right.  here's the thing, these guys have all been playing this game since they were youngsters.  they should all have the fundamentals down and it's just a matter of bowles putting these players in the right places and then these same players executing their plays the way they're supposed to. it's not rocket science but it does take a lot of concentration and hard work.  as for the qb issue, it really becomes designing the offense so these guys can execute it.  it does help to have a qb who can make all the throws and the defense reads but the first goal is to execute each play.  a few good bounces and not losing those hidden yards and it could be a pretty good season.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The culture change is already taking effect. 

I have a bridge to sell you that way you can jump off it after we go 2-14. Of course that's not to say the other aspects of the culture won't improve  (maybe) - just the record will be worse. 

28 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Love your enthusiasm but surely you Jest Jester

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If Todd Bowles starts McCown over Petty and Hackenberg he will be gone sooner than later. :D

No he won't because Mac is calling g the shots. McGowan, as the starter for the Browns was deplorable. Here with the Jets, he's working with an equally incompetent roster. And, he's a few years older than his 'glory days' when he sniffed mild success. He's Fitzpatrick part II.  I don't see him having a 2015 Fitz year. It's more than obvious why Mac brought him in here. He knows Petty and Hack are not the answer and someone has to play QB without totally embarrassing this team.  In the end, any of those 3 yield a bottom feeding team. With McGowan, it's a feeble attempt by Mac to save some face despite the horror show that will ensue. McGowan cements us getting a top 3 pick. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Related: I don't think my life is an abject failure

Depends who you are talking about.  If your talking about McCowns, your correct.  Guy is what?  34?  He's made millions.  Certainly not an Abject failure.

If your talking about yourself, Well........................................................................................................................................ :)

No he won't because Mac is calling g the shots. McGowan, as the starter for the Browns was deplorable. Here with the Jets, he's working with an equally incompetent roster. And, he's a few years older than his 'glory days' when he sniffed mild success. He's Fitzpatrick part II.  I don't see him having a 2015 Fitz year. It's more than obvious why Mac brought him in here. He knows Petty and Hack are not the answer and someone has to play QB without totally embarrassing this team.  In the end, any of those 3 yield a bottom feeding team. With McGowan, it's a feeble attempt by Mac to save some face despite the horror show that will ensue. McGowan cements us getting a top 3 pick. 

Ya gotta wonder as much as that sounds unbelievable McCown did secure the Bucs their future in Jameis Winston a first overall pick. He got the Browns to a losing season resulting in a first overall pick. He's "money" to get you to the promised land. Why do the jets offer a QB with a 2-22 record past 3 years 4mill more than any other team is offering? Because he has helped each team get what they really want....the top pick in the draft. 4 mill more is nothing when you consider that.

5 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Ya gotta wonder as much as that sounds unbelievable McCown did secure the Bucs their future in Jameis Winston a first overall pick. He got the Browns to a losing season resulting in a first overall pick. He's "money" to get you to the promised land. Why do the jets offer a QB with a 2-22 record past 3 years 4mill more than any other team is offering? Because he has helped each team get what they really want....the top pick in the draft. 4 mill more is nothing when you consider that.

And people say Macc isn't cleaver........HA!!! :)

2 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Hmmm I suspect a conspiracy.   

Image result for spock fascinating

14 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

Anyone on here watch a little NHL?...maybe CAPS fans. The rebuilding Toronto Maple Leafs scared the absolute crap out of the first place Washington Caps in the playoffs.... anything can happen

How about them Predators?

Archived