Christian Hackenberg- Foot Mechanics

JetNation

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

I don't understand why he didn't move because the sanctions happened with his career path in the way.  And he couldn't have possibly looked at Franklin/Donovan duo at Vanderbilt and said "Well these guys know how to run an offense".  

If he tried to leave PSU as Franklin came on board and  tried to transfer, he would have been required to sit a year on the sidelines, because of NCAA rules. That may have been MORE hurtful to his career and development.

Not a fair rule, as coaches can leave program with no penalty, but players can't. I get why they have it though, otherwise it would be a zoo.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2017 at 9:40 PM, ID. said:

I think what he has been trying to explain, is the aspect of pointing the foot is foundational.  It is at the core of almost all athletic throwing motions and that is something that should never be "lost".  If it is, that's a huge problem...

I disagree if that is what he and you are saying

I think they really need to play hack a lot no matter what. Wether he struggles or not they need to see if experience and playing time helps his development because let's face it Hack just can't "show development" for a QB not to be considered next year. He needs to show considerable improvement and 3-4 games is not gonna cut it. I'd say at least 1/2 a season against good competition as well as the under .500 teams. Let him see it all. I like Hack but the jets don't have 3-4 years for him to get to where they need him and if he does not progress enough to be a better option than an '18 draft prospect they will likely move on. He needs playing time with reps with the first team. Yea we may be throwing him in with ? marks all over the place but it's only fair to the jets themselves actually to finally answer this mystery behind center.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

If he tried to leave PSU as Franklin came on board and  tried to transfer, he would have been required to sit a year on the sidelines, because of NCAA rules. That may have been MORE hurtful to his career and development.

Not a fair rule, as coaches can leave program with no penalty, but players can't. I get why they have it though, otherwise it would be a zoo.

Actually, all PSU players were allowed to transfer, without sitting out a year, immediately following the imposition of sanctions. 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Actually, all PSU players were allowed to transfer, without sitting out a year, immediately following the imposition of sanctions. 

Hackenberg was still in high school when the sanctions came down. He was a committed PSU student athlete at the time.

PSU football players were only allowed to transfer, without the penalty of sitting out a year, that single year. Hack liked O'Brien offense and thought it worth giving it that shot.

He could have transferred as Franklin came on board, but as I said earlier, it would have been with penalty

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

As I said, he was loyal to a fault,

Yeah, he really should have looked out for himself in that case, because it was just a horrible situation all around.

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

I thought the same thing.  Tried to watch the Hack pre-season All-22 and it wasn't available.  I thought maybe as a reporter he had access, but none of the shots are from the All-22.

Lol, yeah I clicked on it thinking there was some new angle, kept going down thinking it was going to be in the analysis, since it's a year later.  Figured there was something new there.  

Apparently a company called XOS has them because they are partners with the Jets (as well as other NFL teams), and a ton of college teams, but they won't distribute it.  I contacted them about some tapes for Stewart/Hansen/Hackenberg/Legget and got shot down.  

8 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

One of our many problems last year was keeping Fitz and Geno. I get the re-signing of Fitz (lets see if we can build on the 2015 magic bla bla bla) I'm just glad Mac was smart enough to kee it to a one year deal. But they should have cut bait with Geno and given reps to Petty and Hack. 

They thought Geno was good enough to keep us in contention if Fitz got hurt. Again, a waste and overly wishful thinking. 

I like Petty a lot. I have no idea how far along he is with reading defenses and maintaing a huddle and grasping pro offense concepts. 

I do know Mac has said that they drafted Petty with the expectation of him being a good long term back up for them, and anything after that is gravy. They drafted Hacken to be the starter (at some point). So we'll see what happens. 

I didn't want Fitz to be back, because I kept showing evidence that he was lucky in 2015, and his performance was over-rated.  I think a decent amount of people didn't want him back, but the media loved him (mainly because he's a better interview than Geno) and they pushed the "master and commander, the leader of the franchise, record holder Fitz" narrative and people slowly bit into it.  If we go back to threads when there were leaked info about contract negotiations, a good amount of people wanted him back.  I said before the draft that if the Jets pick a high QB (which they did), then pull the offer to Fitz, because you already have 3 QBs on the roster.  Caving into Fitzpatrick is probably the biggest mistake made by Macc without the benefit of hindsight (I can't blame him as much for Wilkerson, because 99% of the folks on this board would have signed him) because there were clear options otherwise.  

If we go into last year with Geno/Petty/Hack, our roster would have been in a much better situation with the extra cap space (especially this year).  We also would have once and for all figured out Geno with weapons and a good offense.  Even worse, there is no way Fitz should have started after the KC game, because that was an embarrassment.  If your franchise guy has a game like that, you stick with him, they have growing pains.  When it's a journeyman QB, you pull him immediately and move on.   It's only a one year deal in length, but we're paying about $5 million in cap space this year because of that contract (and it's worse with cap roll over effect).  

I thought they should have cut Fitzpatrick, because once the season was lost, there was no upside with him on the roster.  He was going to be out at the end of the year, is old and on the down slope of his career, so there is no benefit of having him around.  

I think Petty is under-rated because he came from the Baylor system, and didn't really know how to call plays and all.  Just based on physical ability, I think he has one of the better arms in the NFL.  There were some throws last year that he made, that I haven't seen from a Jets QB.  Of course he made mistakes as well, which unfortunately I've seen a lot of from Jets' QBs, but there is definite potential there.  His main problem is recognizing defense, and not being overly aggressive with the deep pass.  At Baylor, they basically recruit track guys that can blow by people, so if a defense goes to press man coverage with a single high safety, almost always, they call two go routes on the outside.  The QB picks a side, and just throws it up, knowing the chances are likely his guy is faster than the CB covering him.  We saw a lot of that with Anderson last year, to the point that it became predictable.  However, if he can learn the system and recognize defenses (no easy task), I love his physical talent.  

Petty is fine as a back up, although this is the year to find out about him.  He made big strides from year 1 to year 2, so it'll be interesting to see if he makes the step up.  

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I never understood how coaches get a free pass when leaving, but the players can't.  It makes sense for the universities because it gives them power over the players because they can get buried on the depth chart and then face a penalty if they wanted to move, but it should also be true for coaches.  Or, they should have a provision that if a coach moves on, then the players get to transfer without penalty as well in a short period of time.  

I think it's why teams like Alabama/FSU/Michigan recruit well because players know the system they are going to.  They may fit better at another program with a hot shot coach, but there might be chance that guy leaves for a better program or the NFL and you're screwed.  

6 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

I think they really need to play hack a lot no matter what. Wether he struggles or not they need to see if experience and playing time helps his development because let's face it Hack just can't "show development" for a QB not to be considered next year. He needs to show considerable improvement and 3-4 games is not gonna cut it. I'd say at least 1/2 a season against good competition as well as the under .500 teams. Let him see it all. I like Hack but the jets don't have 3-4 years for him to get to where they need him and if he does not progress enough to be a better option than an '18 draft prospect they will likely move on. He needs playing time with reps with the first team. Yea we may be throwing him in with ? marks all over the place but it's only fair to the jets themselves actually to finally answer this mystery behind center.

I only want to see Hack if he's fixed his mechanics, because I don't think playing him with bad mechanics will be beneficial in the long run.  He has to get the mechanics down to muscle memory, before he plays, otherwise he's going to revert back to bad mechanics under pressure.  I think he needs as much practice reps as possible right now, but I only want to see him start if he can keep his mechanics consistent.  

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hackenberg was still in high school when the sanctions came down. He was a committed PSU student athlete at the time.

PSU football players were only allowed to transfer, without the penalty of sitting out a year, that single year. Hack liked O'Brien offense and thought it worth giving it that shot.

He could have transferred as Franklin came on board, but as I said earlier, it would have been with penalty

I really wish he transferred (although he may have either flamed out somewhere else or blown up to the point we would not get him) because it's impossible to judge his college play.  I really wanted some All-22 tapes of him in college, to really see how open his receivers would be, within the given time frame of him facing pressure.  

Hack keeps this up he might get cut by September 

The only way hack possibly gets cut is if Mac gets let go. At the very worst he is a cheap backup. Hell look how bad Geno was and he was here for his whole rookie contract. Hack won't go anywhere cuz Mac's not going anywhere.

5 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

The only way hack possibly gets cut is if Mac gets let go. At the very worst he is a cheap backup. Hell look how bad Geno was and he was here for his whole rookie contract. Hack won't go anywhere cuz Mac's not going anywhere.

Geno was a better prospect than Hackenberg by several orders of magnitude, and their pro careers will digress similarly.

Geno was a better prospect than Hackenberg by several orders of magnitude, and their pro careers will digress similarly.

Well who knows maybe hack never sees the field that way it won't "digress". Hard to be a failure if no one lets you fail.

3 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Well who knows maybe hack never sees the field that way it won't "digress". Hard to be a failure if no one lets you fail.

No One Let Him Fail: The Meteoric Rise and Tragic Fall of Christian Hackenberg

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

And nothing will make you and others here happier..

22 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

What good is a cheap backup that you are afraid to let step on the field? 

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

And nothing will make you and others here happier..

Haven't we already established that absolutely nothing is capable of making dbatesman happy?

Archived