Todd Bowles: Jets might need Josh McCown to help teach 'kindergarten'

Kleckineau

“Even when you go to kindergarten, somebody’s got to be the teacher,” Bowles said Monday after the Jets’ first mandatory minicamp practice, via USA Today.

Ouch. Even if the analogy makes some sense, it doesn’t exactly send a strong message about ..........

https://sports.yahoo.com/todd-bowles-says-jets-might-go-mccown-help-teach-kindergarten-151249419.html

Todd Bowles lol.

The "media" typically and predictably twisted what Bowles said into the most controversial headlines and click bait as possible.  No, he didn't call the Jets a "kindergrten" team.   

People complain that coach press conferences are worthless but every time a coach shows some personality, wit, insight, or humanity, their words are used against them, so you get boring, vapid Bill Belichick style nonsense from every coach 

Rex Ryan, for all his flaws, gave good honest answers to questions and, of course, that was not a good idea 

12 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The "media" typically and predictably twisted what Bowles said into the most controversial headlines and click bait as possible.  No, he didn't call the Jets a "kindergrten" team.   

People complain that coach press conferences are worthless but every time a coach shows some personality, wit, insight, or humanity, their words are used against them, so you get boring, vapid Bill Belichick style nonsense from every coach 

Rex Ryan, for all his flaws, gave good honest answers to questions and, of course, that was not a good idea 

Bowles makes Rex look like a young Lombardi

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

“Even when you go to kindergarten, somebody’s got to be the teacher,” Bowles said Monday after the Jets’ first mandatory minicamp practice, via USA Today.

Ouch. Even if the analogy makes some sense, it doesn’t exactly send a strong message about ..........

https://sports.yahoo.com/todd-bowles-says-jets-might-go-mccown-help-teach-kindergarten-151249419.html

Todd Bowles lol.

McCown, Starting QB, inbound in 3...2...

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Pat Sajak Show was better than the Chevy Chase Show.

I posed this question to a group of about 10 friends, not unanimous, but there was a winner... You're the executive producer of wheel of fortune, money is tight, and you need to make cuts.  Who do you fire, Sajak or Vana?

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I posed this question to a group of about 10 friends, not unanimous, but there was a winner... You're the executive producer of wheel of fortune, money is tight, and you need to make cuts.  Who do you fire, Sajak or Vana?

If you fire Sajak, you can "rebrand" it with a new host, a la Price is Right. If you fire Vanna, people will march on the studio with pitchforks and torches.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

If you fire Sajak, you can "rebrand" it with a new host, a la Price is Right. If you fire Vanna, people will march on the studio with pitchforks and torches.

The counter argument is that now that the letters no longer need turning, and it's all digital, Vanna is obsolete... A relic.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The counter argument is that now that the letters no longer need turning, and it's all digital, Vanna is obsolete... A relic.

Consider the median age of dedicated Wheel of Fortune viewers. Now picture yourself selling those people on self-turning letters.

33 minutes ago, thadude said:

Are you seriously saying Todd Bowles is a better head coach than Rex Ryan?

Both are terrible, a terrible coach is never going to be better than another terrible coach. You can make of that what you wish.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Both are terrible, a terrible coach is never going to be better than another terrible coach. You can make of that what you wish.

I had much more faith in Rex to get the players motivated to play and to have a cohesive defensive game plan. I also had faith in Rex to ignore the offense and mismanage the clock. But the day Bowles wins 4 playoff games is the day I will compare him to Rex. For all of Rex's warts, and there are many, he did give us 2 great playoff runs. 

I have yet to see one aspect of coaching where Bowles is impressive. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I had much more faith in Rex to get the players motivated to play and to have a cohesive defensive game plan. I also had faith in Rex to ignore the offense and mismanage the clock. But the day Bowles wins 4 playoff games is the day I will compare him to Rex. For all of Rex's warts, and there are many, he did give us 2 great playoff runs. 

As soon as Rex got his own team, and not Mangini's team, Rex showed what he is, a garbage HC. Bowles seems to be garbage too, but you cannot compare the rosters the two of them took over at all.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Hmmmm... This is literally the point everyone is making re: Macc/Idzik.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's only valid when he does it. Always has been.

I have no idea what either of you are talking about, but carry on.....

38 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

They are actually almost the same guy except one is a loud mouth and one is quiet.

both favor 'their system' over everything even if the players do not fit.  Both love their defenses and as along as the team is providing the D ALL the team resources they are happy.  both cannot coach up medium level players, both can't control their problem, players AT ALL.  Both have a poor grasp of the offense and both are terrible in game coaches.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Vanna is an institution who represents the classic (if anti-feminist) model of femininity: the silent, servile, but dignified and sexy June Cleaver archetype who has your martini ready when you get home from the office. I think replacing her with a young stripper/cheerleader type really compromises the role overall and makes it flagrantly seedy, which would alienate the 50+ year-old midwestern housewife demographic that tunes into Wheel. 

Sajak, however, is a generic straight-man who could easily be replaced by any number of wholesome Caucasian comics (John Mulvaney, either dude from the Sonic commercials) without anyone batting an eye.

Just now, Beerfish said:

They are actually almost the same guy except one is a loud mouth and one is quiet.

both favor 'their system' over everything even if the players do not fit.  Both love their defenses and as along as the team is providing the D ALL the ream resources they are happy.  both cannot coach up medium level players, both can't control their problem, players AT ALL.  Both have a poor grasp of the offense and both are terrible in game coaches.

The system should be based on winning with the players you have. Not a fixed version of some fantasy 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Please. It's like comparing a chihuahua turd to a cocker spaniel turk. They are both smelly pieces of crap that are just better disposed of and never thought of again.

both favor 'their system' over everything even if the players do not fit.  Both love their defenses and as along as the team is providing the D ALL the team resources they are happy.  both cannot coach up medium level players, both can't control their problem, players AT ALL.  Both have a poor grasp of the offense and both are terrible in game coaches.

Jets haven't had a coach with actual HC experience (at ANY level) since Al Groh (who had college experience). No wonder jets coaches are known to be putrid in game coaches. Too much to ask to get a guy who has actually had to call a game before?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

POTW right here. So true, but you could actually extend it to Herm and Mangini too. Woody has hired fundamentally the same coach 4 times in a row. I think at this point we almost have to hope that Morton and Bates turn out to be an exceptional combination, that Bowles will eventually get the right pieces for his defense, keep adding great positional coaches and that Bowles improves in game planning, adjustments and in game management. If we fire Bowles, there is no reason to think Woody wont just hire another defensive coordinator flavor of the year that values defense above all and thinks of offense as a wild beast that just has to be prevented from causing damage.

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets haven't had a coach with actual HC experience (at ANY level) since Al Groh (who had college experience). No wonder jets coaches are known to be putrid in game coaches. Too much to ask to get a guy who has actually had to call a game before?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No retreads duh 

Archived