Kleckineau

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Per PFF, Top ranked CB per year:

2008: Antoine Winfield

2009: Charles Woodson

2010: Antoine Winfield 

2011: Darrelle Revis 

2012: Antoine Winfield 

So 2008-2012 Antoine Winfield seemed to be the best CB in football?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/page-of-fame-cornerbacks

Without clicking on your link yet...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/darrelle-revis-overlooked

Let me open by saying that it was a travesty that he didn’t win the Defensive Player of the Year award in 2009. You probably won’t find a better season for a cornerback than what Revis had that year. 

In 2009, Revis was practically untouchable, and per Pro Football Focus grading, earned a +34.6 in coverage. Putting that into perspective, the next best in 2009 was Charles Woodson(+19.4) and the best in 2010 was Tramon Williams (+14.4), including post season numbers.

Can these guys even keep up with themselves? 

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

He’ll be playing football again. Beyond being the first CB to pass on single handedly taking down the 250 pound RB, what was so bad about his performance in that game? The flukiest possible deflected pass turned TD? I get the Jets fan mentality there - look for someone to blame rather than crediting the performer who scored for a one in a million play - but a reasonal person isn’t pretending that happened because Revis is so toast as a CB. 

Not his fault the ball was batted back to Mariota. That was just a tough break. But come on, he’s been dogging it on the field this season, and last season he did the same. It’s unfortunate  - because I loved Revis 1.0. He was the best for a good stretch there, but his play nowadays is just stealing money from the owner. Good for him, I guess. 

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Per PFF, Top ranked CB per year:

2008: Antoine Winfield

2009: Charles Woodson

2010: Antoine Winfield 

2011: Darrelle Revis 

2012: Antoine Winfield 

So 2008-2012 Antoine Winfield seemed to be the best CB in football?

2013: Brent Grimes

2014: Chris Harris 

2015: Josh Norman

2016: Aqib Talib

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2013-pff-all-pro-team

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2014-pff-all-pro-team

https://mobile.twitter.com/pff/status/672899009292460032?lang=en

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-nfl-cornerbacks-this-season

1 minute ago, shevys said:

Not his fault the ball was batted back to Mariota. That was just a tough break. But come on, he’s been dogging it on the field this season, and last season he did the same. It’s unfortunate  - because I loved Revis 1.0. He was the best for a good stretch there, but his play nowadays is just stealing money from the owner. Good for him, I guess. 

My guess is you saw very little of Revis’ play this year. I don’t know whether he did or he didn’t, but given the extreme bias against the guy and the hyperbolic takes on his play in the WC game I will wait for FO’s Almanac this summer. 

Just now, HessStation said:

Pretty much just shows you how they can't even agree on their own numbers. You should click it since it's from PFF.

Rotfl this is ******* beautiful. So at this point - two days after your supposed victory - your whole case comes down to what you imagine is my extremely high regard for PFF? 

Not that we didn’t know this two days ago but I do believe this firmly seals my victory. 

I will now plant my flag:

1.jpg

Piss on your whip:

6e247073e31e14fd20cb27a04c405877--dog-pe

and dismiss your whole sh*t:

giphy_s.gif

That was fun. Next time let’s do best QB! I probably go Montana! 

40 minutes ago, HessStation said:

The PFF data only seems to strengthen my case and victory. 

Plus Antoine Winfield was a hell of a teammate. Love that guy. 

I don't think you know how to read.  That or you don't understand what you're reading.

Oh, and this one might be the best one yet: Revis and Nick Mangold made PFF's all-decade team.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pff-all-decade-team

Only Jets fans can minimize the play of their own all-time great players while blowing some guy who left them at the alter (Antoine Winfield).  It's sad, really.

18 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't think you know how to read.  That or you don't understand what you're reading.

Oh, and this one might be the best one yet: Revis and Nick Mangold made PFF's all-decade team.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-pff-all-decade-team

Only Jets fans can minimize the play of their own all-time great players while blowing some guy who left them at the alter (Antoine Winfield).  It's sad, really.

Guess who also made the All Decade Team. Antoine mother effin Winfield haha!

Please tell me how else I should be reading this btw? Seems pretty basic.

Best Overall Grade

Rank Name Team Year Overall Rush Cov. Run Pen.
1 Charles Woodson GB 2009 35.7 3.4 18.7 14.1 -0.5
2 Darrelle Revis NYJ 2009 32.8 0 31.9 -0.6 1.5
3 Antoine Winfield MIN 2008 30.9 3.4 14.9 11 1.6
4 Corey Webster NYG 2008 29.1 1.4 27.7 0 0
5 Antoine Winfield MIN 2012 25.9 0.1 9.5 14.8 1.5
6 Richard Sherman SEA 2012 25.7 0.9 25.6 -1.9 1.1
7 Charles Tillman CHI 2012 25.2 -0.2 21.9 3.1 0.4
8 Darrelle Revis NYJ 2011 24.8 -0.1 18.7 4.6 1.6
9 Casey Hayward GB 2012 24.1 -1.9 21.7 3.5 0.8
10 Antoine Winfield MIN 2010 23.5 3.4 13.7 4.8 1.6
11 Darrelle Revis NYJ 2008 21.8 1.8 15.6 2.8 1.6
12 Leon Hall CIN 2009 21.3 0 17.5 2.2 1.6
13 Brandon Flowers KC 2010 20.5 0 14.9 5.1 0.5
14 Chris Harris Jr. DEN 2012 20 -2.1 12.9 7.8 1.4

Revis really epitomizes this franchise 

The cruel tease 

Jets finally draft a player who becomes the best player in the NFL at his position 

Yay! 

Turns out that position can be marginalized just by avoiding it, and the teams he plays on can't get a defensive stop when it matters, he holds out for QB money, the dumb GM caves mostly because the owner wanted hard knocks cameras around, then the next dumb GM trades him, and of course he winds up on the cheaters team and wins a super bowl. 

But wait, there's more! 

He comes back to the team and steals money and literally jogs around like a ******* bum. 

Jetsiest of jetsy sh*t 

9 hours ago, Larz said:

Revis really epitomizes this franchise 

The cruel tease 

Jets finally draft a player who becomes the best player in the NFL at his position 

Yay! 

Turns out that position can be marginalized just by avoiding it, and the teams he plays on can't get a defensive stop when it matters, he holds out for QB money, the dumb GM caves mostly because the owner wanted hard knocks cameras around, then the next dumb GM trades him, and of course he winds up on the cheaters team and wins a super bowl. 

But wait, there's more! 

He comes back to the team and steals money and literally jogs around like a ******* bum. 

Jetsiest of jetsy sh*t 

Without a doubt one of the greatest CBs to ever play. Will definitely be in the HOF. 2009 may be the most dominant year any CB has ever had. (along with R.Woodson 93, Deion 94, Champ 06) He was perfect for Rex's defense. The hold outs, the second tour and unfortunate injury in 12 really tarnishes his legacy to various degrees.  

F Revis.

Aww, I admire the attempts to pick up the pieces and get some final futile remarks in. Fear not, citizens! I am only here to look upon my victory! Take solace that, despite the shoddiness of your arguments - clearly mostly made up as we went along - and the resounding defeat, that you still agree with each other and worked together to attempt to achieve a common goal! Perhaps one day...one day when we are old and gray...perhaps even long dead...someone will find this thread and make it the #1 discussion in JN history on their Ranker list. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Aww, I admire the attempts to pick up the pieces and get some final futile remarks in. Fear not, citizens! I am only here to look upon my victory! Take solace that, despite the shoddiness of your arguments - clearly made up as we went along - and the resounding defeat, that you still agree with each and worked together to attempt to achieve a common goal! Perhaps one day...one day when we are old and gray...perhaps even long dead...someone will find this thread and make it the #1 discussion in JN history on their Ranker list. 

Still waiting for one shred of expert opinion supporting your claim Revis as GREATEST EVAH

Mods, gato made a mess of himself here please enforce the kitty litter rule.

45 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Revis really was special for awhile.

As Jets fans we get few players other than centers to brag about.

He will go into the HOF but calling him the greatest of all time is the greatest overstatement of all time.

This thread has really helped me shape what was Revis' career.  I think really looking at not only his raw numbers but advanced numbers through Football Outsiders and PFF (and not weighing in one more than the other but compiling all the information together in scale, this is a pretty good way you can look at it by year:

2007: really good

2008: great

2009: elite

2010: great

2011: great

2012: NA

2013: really good

2014: really good

2015: average

2016: done

2017: done

...3 great years, 1 elite year, 3 really good years, 1 average year, 2 bad years. 

7 Pro Bowls, 4 All Pro's...add to that getting a SB ring in 14, that's a Hall of Fame Career. Not GOAT though his 09 season could be considered greatest of all time single season. 

F Revis. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2013

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/16757/darrelle-revis

Lollolololol please stop trying guys

I do have to add these gems because it puts on display perfectly what I was up against and why victory was inevitable:

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

The PFF data only seems to strengthen my case and victory. 

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

(In reference to PFF) Pretty much just shows you how they can't even agree on their own numbers. 

Lololololololololol 

I would also suggest taking a look at Ranker.com with the understanding that this site was used to support an argument. Gold 

8 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Lollolololol please stop trying guys

I do have to add these gems because it puts on display perfectly what I was up against and why victory was inevitable:

Lololololololololol 

I would also suggest taking a look at Ranker.com with the understand that this site was used to support an argument. Gold 

Yes, cujo, the problem with advanced stats is they're subjective and not concrete data. As we both saw through our time in this thread, example you were able to site Football Outsiders at 33% rate and I had sited PFF at 37% for Revis in 09. The numbers don't always match up within the advanced stats community. Now go have get a drink of water or smoke a cigarette or something lol

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Yes, cujo, the problem with advanced stats is they're subjective and not concrete data. As we both saw through our time in this thread, example you were able to site Football Outsiders at 33% rate and I had sited PFF at 37% for Revis in 09. The numbers don't always match up within the advanced stats community. Now go have get a drink of water or smoke a cigarette or something lol

Sounds like a guy who really knows what he’s saying. This from someone who presented a blog survey and multiple listicles as evidence. Stop contradicting yourself, you’re all over the place on this! 

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Sounds like a guy who really knows what he’s saying. 

you can't even stop to take a deep objective breath for a minute. Let go of your ego for 60 seconds...all the information is in this thread. It's all been sited and linked. You're not even trying to be coherant anymore lol. 

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

You're so bad at debating you can't even stop to take a deep objective breathe for a minute. Let go of your ego for 60 seconds...all the information is in this thread. It's all been sited and linked. You're not even trying to be coherant anymore lol. 

Oh boi....Come on, I had to link what median was for you in the same thread you bash statistics for being subjective while presenting listicles as evidence.

Anyway Hess, it was fun running circles around you in this thread. Good times before the switch to FA and the draft! Many more! 

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Oh boi....Come on, I had to link what median was for you in the same thread you bash statistics for being subjective while presenting listicles as evidence.

Anyway Hess, it was fun running circles around you in this thread. Good times before the switch to FA and the draft! Many more! 

Those were conventional stats that I in no way bashed. I called you out bc those stats didn't really prove the point you were trying make. 

Please answer this for me then... Do advanced stats carry a certain level of subjectivity or not? 

15 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Those were conventional stats that I in no way bashed. I called you out bc those stats didn't really prove the point you were trying make. 

Please answer this for me then... Do advanced stats carry a certain level of subjectivity or not? 

Or more straw man from gate

Man there’s no next round coming now. @Kleckineau promised you guys would wait and I’m satisfied with the trouncing I delivered even before Revis actually hangs them up.

To answer your question - nooooooooooo. You don’t get it if you legitimately think that. I think you know this already and kinda don’t believe you believe most of what you say anyway. No one has any idea how PFF does their stuff. You only went to them when you desparately imagined you saw an opening with the 37% in the first place, but that became dependent on what you hoped/imagined was my reliance on PFF. Sorry it didn’t work. Maybe next time! 

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Man there’s no next round coming now. @Kleckineau promised you guys would wait and I’m satisfied with the trouncing I delivered even before Revis actually hangs them up.

To answer your question - nooooooooooo. You don’t get it if you legitimately think that. I think you know this already and kinda don’t believe you believe most of what you say anyway. No one has any idea how PFF does their stuff. You only went to them when you desparately imagined you saw an opening with the 37% in the first place, but that became dependent on what you hoped/imagined was my reliance on PFF. Sorry it didn’t work. Maybe next time! 

LOL other posters were using PFF so I looked it up and stumbled across the data. Interesting how there can be noooooo subjectivity in your eyes to their ratings and rankings yet one advanced stats org FO has 33% and another PFF has 37% for the same player in the same year. 

Advanced stats is an incredible resource and a good benchmark. However there are flaws in the process. 

If we are to just use FO as the only source, per your opinion, Darrelle Revis was not very good 2013-2016.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2013

17 minutes ago, HessStation said:

If we are to just use FO as the only source, per your opinion, Darrelle Revis was not very good 2013-2016.

Revis was 12, 1 + a SB, and 10 (7th in adjusted success rate) from ‘13-‘15 lol.

As far as your desperate last ditch attempts to make statistics more subjective than online listicles, good luck with that. Should go as well as Gato the Champion of PFF did. I dig the whole never quit thing but at this point you’re kinda burying yourself. Next time!

23 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Revis was 12, 1 + a SB, and 10 (7th in adjusted success rate) from ‘13-‘15 lol.

As far as your desperate last ditch attempts to make statistics more subjective than online listicles, good luck with that. Should go as well as Gato the Champion of PFF did. I dig the whole never quit thing but at this point you’re kinda burying yourself. Next time!

In 2014 he was 12th in adj yd/pass, 4th corner index, 1st adjust rate...

Cliff Harris was 1st, 1st and 3rd.

Norman was 2nd, 2nd and 4th.

Davis was 8th, 3rd and 2nd.

Those are all better numbers yet Revis "ranks" first. 

I should have prefaced it as not GOAT anymore. Not, not very good. My bad. He stopped being the best CB in football after 2011. 

Archived