Its official Darrelle Revis first ballot Hall of Shame

Kleckineau

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

You cant produce a single shred of published available expert opinion describing Revis as the greatest ever (former players, adversaries, GMs, coaches etc) because it dosent exist. 

Still waiting.

And you keep posting that you dont have a clue, need a bleacher report list or some other mindless, useless article that proves absolutely nothing.  

Lets try this way, who was a better player Klecko or Long?  Bet every list, the HOF etc all say Long.  Theyre all wrong, Klecko was the better player.  

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you keep posting that you dont have a clue, need a bleacher report list or some other mindless, useless article that proves absolutely nothing.  

Lets try this way, who was a better player Klecko or Long?  Bet every list, the HOF etc all say Long.  Theyre all wrong, Klecko was the better player.  

OK let phrase it this way.

Forgetting our opinions for a moment and remove our bias, please show us any published shred of objective, unbiased expert opinion whether that be a former opponent, GM HC, position coach etc that says Revis was the best cb ever.

We will wait...........................

(Jetnut switches subject to Klecko vs Long like a politician lol)

Just now, Kleckineau said:

OK let phrase it this way.

Excluding you and I to remove any bias, please show us any published shred of objective, unbiased expert opinion whether that be a former opponent, GM HC, position coach etc that says Revis was the best cb ever.

We will wait...........................

(Jetnut switches subject to Klecko vs Long like a politician lol)

You just dont get it do you?  

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Holy false equivalence Bateman.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

In 2010 after the holdout he came back fat and pulled a hammy on the Moss play- missed games. 2012, injured. He was invisible in Tampa. Good year in New England and then a disaster in 15-16. There hasnt been a consistent run of sustained great play. The holdouts probably didnt help.

So he was good for... 2007-2009, in your eyes? 

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

He is the poster boy for longevity and greatness. What a player.

Revis does not belong in the same sentence.

Most definitely true, I wouldn’t lump a GOAT like Revis in with a very good player in Green. Equating Green to Revis is like making John Abraham the equal of Lawrence Taylor. 

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

You cant produce a single shred of published available expert opinion describing Revis as the greatest ever (former players, adversaries, GMs, coaches etc) because it dosent exist. 

Still waiting.

Don't wait any longer. Current player. Former Jet. Posted on this very forum by the forum owner. 

https://www.jetnation.com/2015/08/07/is-revis-the-greatest-of-all-time/

12 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I get that you cant answer the question. Answer the question..........where are the experts. 

We will wait......

Promise? Sweet, given it ten years for he and his peers to retire and start filling the commentator roles online and in booths. Nothing like that post-retirement glow and some time for folks to gain some perspective on what a monster talent this guy was. 

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

In 2010 after the holdout he came back fat and pulled a hammy on the Moss play- missed games. 2012, injured. He was invisible in Tampa. Good year in New England and then a disaster in 15-16. There hasnt been a consistent run of sustained great play. The holdouts probably didnt help.

Wrong.  He was good in 2008.  Great from 2009-2013.  He was better in 2013 (PFF's #1 CB) than he was in 2014 with the Pats.  He just wasn't playing for the Pats, so he didn't get the same attention.  His decline started in 2014.  He was still Pro Bowl caliber in 2015, but fell off the cliff in 2016.

On January 9, 2018 at 12:13 PM, HessStation said:

2006 Champ Bailey allowed 40 Catches (Football Outsiders), 0 Touchdowns (Football Outsiders), had 10 interceptions (NFL.com) , 1 TD (NFL.com) and 85 tackles (NFL.com) , 38% Comp Rate (2007 Pro Football Prospectus)

2009 Darrelle Revis allowed 45 catches (Jetswit.com) and 2 Touchdowns (Football Outsiders), had 6 interceptions (NFL.com), 1 TD (NFL.com) and 54 tackles (NFL.com), 33% Comp Rate (Football Outsiders) 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2007/fo-mailbag-champ-baileys-four-receptions

http://www.nfl.com/player/champbailey/2499489/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/darrellerevis/2495717/careerstats

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2009/12/28/1222910/revis-island-statistical-break-down

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Football-Prospectus-2007-Essential/dp/0452288479

I'm not going to get into the Champ vs Revis argument, but I'll point out that CB is harder to play now than it was in Champ's day.  You can't even blow on the WRs anymore.  There's a reason you don't really see any good older CBs anymore.

14 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I'm not going to get into the Champ vs Revis argument, but I'll point out that CB is harder to play now than it was in Champ's day.  You can't even blow on the WRs anymore.  There's a reason you don't really see any good older CBs anymore.

Bailey played from 1999-2013

Revis being relevant is from 1997-2014

...unless you're saying the rule changes it what's affected Revis' dominance from 2015-2017

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Bailey played from 1999-2013

Revis being relevant is from 1997-2014

...unless you're saying the rule changes it what's affected Revis' dominance from 2015-2017

The end of their careers were in different eras.  Champ turned 30 in 2008.  By the time Revis turned 30, the rules totally favored the wide receivers.  CB has never been more dependent on athleticism than it is today.  

9 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The end of their careers were in different eras.  Champ turned 30 in 2008.  By the time Revis turned 30, the rules totally favored the wide receivers.  CB has never been more dependent on athleticism than it is today.  

So Revis 2009 season wasn't "that" special considering it was in a different era than today? Bailey made 5 Pro Bowls and 3 All Pro teams during the same time that Revis played and all the way up until 2012. Revis' last great year was 2011 with an anamoly of a very good year in 2014. So even counting up to 2014, that's two years difference from 2012.

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Don't wait any longer. Current player. Former Jet. Posted on this very forum by the forum owner. 

Lol Brandon Marshall. Same guy who pumped Ryan Fitz. Surely you are not serious.

Ladies and gentleman. I offer you our expert witness..........

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/brandon_marshall_on_ryan_fitzpatrick_benching_boat.html

10 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Sorry kimble but Revis doesn't "get" points off the excuse of becoming fat and lazy. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Promise? Sweet, given it ten years for he and his peers to retire and start filling the commentator roles online and in booths. Nothing like that post-retirement glow and some time for folks to gain some perspective on what a monster talent this guy was. 

Lazy cat is lazy

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Pointman, should teammate endorsements be taken seriously? Especially when it's Brandon Marshall?

Marshall: Eli has yet to dethrone Fitz in my QB rankings

Giants wide receiver Brandon Marshall is either a master of deadpan humor, a massive fan of former Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick or is still interested in slighting Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Kyle Orton, Chad Henne and Matt Moore. 

When asked on Monday if Eli Manning was the best quarterback he'd ever played with, Marshall told reporters: "He has a long way to go to dethrone Ryan Fitzpatrick, you know? He has a long way to go. So we'll see. We'll see."

By my count (video here) the statement was followed by about four seconds straight of Marshall smiling. In a way, it felt like he was waiting for people to laugh.

The best part about this comment from Marshall was how all over the place interpretations were. We have all failed. hopes to have a future in the television business and while his friendship and defense of Ryan Fitzpatrick is well-noted, Marshall is well-aware that, for the first time, he's playing with a quarterback who has a legitimate chance of making it into the Hall of Fame. Also, how short are our collective memories? Back in March upon signing with the Giants, Marshall unequivocally said that Manning was the best quarterback he's ever been on the same team with. 

"Not probably. He is," Marshall said, via the Giants' official site. "I've played with some great quarterbacks. Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably one of my favorite quarterbacks that I've played with. I see a lot of similarities there. I don't think people realize how hard Eli works in the film room and in the classroom, and how he's an amazing leader. Obviously, we know about his physical ability. What's not reported is how hard he works off the field. With Ryan Fitzpatrick, I'm used to that type of approach, where they're leaders and they also push you in the classroom. So being able to play with a guy who's a two-time Super Bowl champion and has done some amazing things in this league for a long time, he's a warrior, and I'm looking forward to following him." 

This was probably Marshall's way of propping up a good friend while maintaining the deference that all veterans must show to Manning in the Giants' locker room. If I'm wrong, Marshall will probably re-work his rankings at some point over the course of this season.

Brandon Marshall says Kyle Orton is the best QB he's played with                              https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brandon-marshall-says-kyle-orton-is-the-best-qb-hes-played-with/

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Did your research I see. Nothing? Shocking.

Now its wait and see he will be great in 10 years. HA!

At least the nut gave me Brandon Marshall as his expert ☺

Soooo we’re pulling back from the wait? 

And insist to the end of days - perusing Ranker and Bleacher Report isn’t “research.” 

If it’s really such a big deal - Rex Ryan has also called Revis the GOAT. Have a field day with it since I already covered more important things like numbers (pre-retirement or even mid-late 30s when many of these CBs - Woodson and Law immediately come to mind - got diminished roles and a chance to pad some stats). 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Go back and rewatch the Gruden broadcast from KC last week. That would be a start.  And maybe we should revisit this when Revis actually is done playing football.  

After that last game, no doubt Revis is done playing football. I mean, dude didn't even try.

6 minutes ago, shevys said:

After that last game, no doubt Revis is done playing football. I mean, dude didn't even try.

He’ll be playing football again. Beyond being the first CB to pass on single handedly taking down the 250 pound RB, what was so bad about his performance in that game? The flukiest possible deflected pass turned TD? I get the Jets fan mentality there - look for someone to blame rather than crediting the performer who scored for a one in a million play - but a reasonal person isn’t pretending that happened because Revis is so toast as a CB. 

9 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Soooo we’re pulling back from the wait? 

And insist to the end of days - perusing Ranker and Bleacher Report isn’t “research.” 

If it’s really such a big deal - Rex Ryan has also called Revis the GOAT. Have a field day with it since I already covered more important things like numbers (pre-retirement or even mid-late 30s when many of these CBs - Woodson and Law immediately come to mind - got diminished roles and a chance to pad some stats). 

Rex Ryan compares Antonio Cromartie to Deion Sanders

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/10/rex_ryan_compares_antonio_crom.html

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

Rex Ryan compares Antonio Cromartie to Deion Sanders

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/10/rex_ryan_compares_antonio_crom.html

I’ve made the same comp - freak athletes who could catch better than other CBs and weren’t ashamed to take themself out of run defense or shy away from tackling. Boil Sanders’ game down and throw it in today’s league where his speed is more common and the rule book works against him and yeah - you basically get a souped up Antonio Cromartie. The big difference being Saunders and the rest of the 90’s Cowboys get to remind everyone how amazing they were 20 years later.

Archived