Report: New York Jets interested in Kirk Cousins

Patriot Killa

On 1/11/2018 at 10:50 PM, Bleedin Green said:

I don't think anyone really doubted for a moment that the Jets would at least look into Cousins and have some discussions, even those who are opposed to such a signing.  The question still stands whether they can satisfy both being appealing to Cousins AND being a top bidder.  We'll see, but I'm still doubtful that will all come together.  While someone mentioned Jacksonville earlier, I've been shocked how little their names have come up in relation to him, as I can't imagine how anyone would think that isn't a perfect fit.  That's a great young team with their biggest hole being QB, the exact kind of team who has every justification to splurge on a guy who really could be their final piece.  Of course, if Jax loses this weekend and Bortles ends up being the one who has the most fingers pointing his way (both very realistically scenarios), the talk of them as bidders will probably escalate very quickly.

The Jets, on the other hand, have plenty of money to spend so I think will last until late in the bidding process, but I'm sure that 6th overall pick will also be in the back of Macc's mind the whole time, knowing he has a backup plan in mind if he doesn't win out there.  How aggressive he gets could very well be influenced by the kind of grades they have on the QB class come free agency.

While totally unrelated to the topic of the thread, but thrown in that article as a random side-note, I did find the ASJ contract offer interesting.  Quite frankly, I think that was the perfect move from the Jets, and I'm hoping nothing goes too far off from that.  I can't particularly blame ASJ for not taking such an offer in January, but while he may be a step up from the Jets years of disaster at TE, he's far from great and quite frankly, is more in debt to them than the Jets are to him.  A high-end backup contract and finding some competition for him would be the perfect scenario for the team.  At most they should offer to build in some incentives he could hit if he does end up playing/starting/producing well.  Bottom line, just because they have money doesn't mean they should piss it all away by giving out far more than is deserved.  They should have learned that from 2015.

The Jets never learn it's the Jet way.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not sure you meant to quote me, I never implied I'd trade 2 firsts for a guard.

I think someone else responded to yours, and I was consolidating lol.

The question was if we had the chance to get Buffalo's two 1st rounders. If we did turn that down and drafted a guard, then it's effectively the same thing as trading away two 1st round picks for a guard.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think someone else responded to yours, and I was consolidating lol.

The question was if we had the chance to get Buffalo's two 1st rounders. If we did turn that down and drafted a guard, then it's effectively the same thing as trading away two 1st round picks for a guard.

Ah ok I see now. Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, McGlinchey, and Mayfield/Allen off the board would we take 2 firsts and give the Bills a potential franchise QB or make the pick at #6. That choice is easy for me at this stage of the game, I'd take Chubb all day if he holds up as the best pass rusher. Now if we thought that QB was not good and there was no Pass Rusher then I'd move down no questions. 

The scenario seems a little ridiculous though because you'd have to assume the Bills would want to trade up with the Colts or Browns before the Broncos pick. I'm not sure the Broncos can put together a better offer than the Bills.

How about we try something crazy and actually draft a QB in the first round something this idiotic franchise has only done 4 times in the last 50 years. Its time that this team stopped taking a half ass approach to the most important position in the game and finally got OUR guy for the next decade plus. Let Cousins go to Denver or wherever and do what we have to do to trade up for one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

43 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Ah ok I see now. Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, McGlinchey, and Mayfield/Allen off the board would we take 2 firsts and give the Bills a potential franchise QB or make the pick at #6. That choice is easy for me at this stage of the game, I'd take Chubb all day if he holds up as the best pass rusher. Now if we thought that QB was not good and there was no Pass Rusher then I'd move down no questions. 

The scenario seems a little ridiculous though because you'd have to assume the Bills would want to trade up with the Colts or Browns before the Broncos pick. I'm not sure the Broncos can put together a better offer than the Bills.

Oh, no doubt. I don't see the Bills trading 2 firsts in their division to the Jets, a month after we signed a good starting QB for the first time since forever (this was the question asked).

So the scenario wasn't one that I invented, and I think it's far-fetched as well. Someone else asked it, and that was merely my position on it:

Keep the pick if it's an opportunity to fill a position you can't just fill any season in FA, or if you do it'll take some $16m+ per year at today's rates. Edge rusher? Yes. CB? Yes, if he's really supposed to be all that. LT? Grudgingly, only because really good ones never seem to reach FA unless they're old or injured. Guard? No ****ing way. I'd take less than chart value and still trade down before drafting a ****ing guard at #6 overall. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh, no doubt. I don't see the Bills trading 2 firsts in their division to the Jets, a month after we signed a good starting QB for the first time since forever (this was the question asked).

So the scenario wasn't one that I invented, and I think it's far-fetched as well. Someone else asked it, and that was merely my position on it:

Keep the pick if it's an opportunity to fill a position you can't just fill any season in FA, or if you do it'll take some $16m+ per year at today's rates. Edge rusher? Yes. CB? Yes, if he's really supposed to be all that. LT? Grudgingly, only because really good ones never seem to reach FA unless they're old or injured. Guard? No ****ing way. I'd take less than chart value and still trade down before drafting a ****ing guard at #6 overall. 

I agree on not taking a guard. Fix the center position, Wesley Johnson was the weak link, literally he's too weak.

24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I agree on not taking a guard. Fix the center position, Wesley Johnson was the weak link, literally he's too weak.

If Chubb and Barkley are off the board and we have Cousins and signed a CB in Fa, I wouldn't have a problem taking Nelson. It would depend on how far down we could trade, I'm not sure I see the Jets getting a trade that includes 2 firsts for the 4th QB on the board. I'd much rather protect the QB, replace Carpenter, and build a dominant OL. I think a line of:

Beachum/Nelson/Jensen/Winters/Shell

is legit and then we look to tackle LT in 2019 if Beachum can't stay healthy or is not extended.

Archived