Report: New York Jets interested in Kirk Cousins

Patriot Killa

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Send the Skins a 3rd round pick and lets get it done tomorrow - Jimmy G only cost a 2nd and the skins will get nothing in March - would be worth it even if it takes the hawks 2nd rounder

Cousins and Kearse for Richardson? done deal, make it happen tanny

Then re-sign Richardson in free agency. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Jason423 posted an article on his site and listed Jacksonville as a potential spot with their cap space. I have a hard time believing Cousins would rather come here than Jax. 

Bortles is hot and cold. I say they maintain patience with him given they made it to the playoffs and are heading to the division round.

This should push him further away!?

KIRK is just saying the right things..he wants outta there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Kirk-Cousins-disagrees-with-Jay-Grudens-end-of-season-comments-113268149/Amp

Kirk Cousins disagrees with Jay Gruden's end-of-season comments

Jay Gruden raised some eyebrows his comments about Kirk Cousins earlier this week, and it wasn't long before the quarterback was asked about them on Friday.

Speaking at his end-of-season press conference, Gruden offered little more than lukewarm praise for Cousins' performance this season, insisting that it's difficult to call his play "amazing" after the team finished 7-9 on the season.

Now it was Cousins turn to respond to the comments. The Washington Redskins quarterback was measured when responding, insisting that he understood the emotions behind his head coach's comments, however found it difficult to agree with how his play may have affected the team's final record.

“When you’re coming two days after that game, I can understand how that could influence your assessment to some degree,” said Cousins. “What I gathered from the comment was 7-9 and the quarterback play are causally related and that quarterback play is 7-9, 7-9 is the quarterback play. I saw that and I thought, ‘I think it’s slightly more complicated than that.’ I think there’s a few more dynamics in play as to what your final record is. … At the same time, his job is to evaluate. That’s a big part of his role and his position. In that comment, he’s just doing his job, he’s evaluating the position and he has the right to say what he wants to say.”

Despite the minor disagreement, Cousins revealed that he praised Gruden to his face during his exit interview with him, complimenting his play calling and the way in which he and the staff held the team together in difficult circumstances. It's just another instance in which Cousins and Gruden have appeared to be largely on the same page, and the 29-year-old still grateful to his head coach for giving him the opportunities he's had in the NFL.

Now it was Cousins turn to respond to the comments. The Washington Redskins quarterback was measured when responding, insisting that he understood the emotions behind his head coach's comments, however found it difficult to agree with how his play may have affected the team's final record.

“When you’re coming two days after that game, I can understand how that could influence your assessment to some degree,” said Cousins. “What I gathered from the comment was 7-9 and the quarterback play are causally related and that quarterback play is 7-9, 7-9 is the quarterback play. I saw that and I thought, ‘I think it’s slightly more complicated than that.’ I think there’s a few more dynamics in play as to what your final record is. … At the same time, his job is to evaluate. That’s a big part of his role and his position. In that comment, he’s just doing his job, he’s evaluating the position and he has the right to say what he wants to say.”

Despite the minor disagreement, Cousins revealed that he praised Gruden to his face during his exit interview with him, complimenting his play calling and the way in which he and the staff held the team together in difficult circumstances. It's just another instance in which Cousins and Gruden have appeared to be largely on the same page, and the 29-year-old still grateful to his head coach for giving him the opportunities he's had in the NFL.

But then we have these persistent bastards on our coat tail too!

Linebacker Brandon Marshall hopes that the Broncos sign quarterback Kirk Cousins

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/1/11/16881032/linebacker-brandon-marshall-hopes-that-the-broncos-sign-quarterback-kirk-cousins

Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall appeared on NFL Network’s Up To The Minute this afternoon and was about as honest as you can get about the team's quarterback position.

In short, you can count him on the sign Kirk Cousins bandwagon forming in Broncos Country.

NFL Network’s Andrew Siciliano asked Marshallwhat he thinks that Broncos President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway will do this offseason to solve the quarterback issue, and he thinks he’s going to sign a veteran.

Marshall says they already have a former first-round pick on the roster(Paxton Lynch) and that drafting quarterbacks is a “toss up”, and thinks a veteran quarterback is a route Elway takes. This is something many of us, including myself, thinks Elway will do this offseason. He is all about quick fixes and signing someone like a say...Kirk Cousins...will totally be a quick fix.

Siciliano finished the interview asking Marshall who he thinks/hopes Elway signs this offseason. Marshall answered by saying there are a couple guys out there that he likes, but that they played a guy week 16 that was “pretty good”.

That guy being none other than Kirk Cousins.

Marshall and the Broncos witnessed what Cousins is capable of week 16 when Kirk Cousins threw for 299 yards and 3 touchdowns against the Broncos top-ranked defense. So I can see why Marshall and many fans think Cousins would be the perfect fit for the Broncos.

Now continuing the Cousins to the Broncos being a perfect fit theme, I give you NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks echoing what we have been saying.

They say with the Broncos top two wide receivers on the outside and with their top-ranked defense to back him up, that Cousins would be a perfect fit in Denver.

Again, I agree with this opinion. Cousins would instantly become one of the top quarterbacks in the AFC which would make the Broncos perennial playoff favorites for the next few years.

Hopefully, Marshall has some inside information on the Broncos game plan for the quarterback position this offseason. When you add his thoughts to the now multiple reports stating that the Broncos will be big-time players for Cousins and well all I can say is that where there is smoke, there is usually some fire.

31 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Jason423 posted an article on his site and listed Jacksonville as a potential spot with their cap space. I have a hard time believing Cousins would rather come here than Jax. 

Yeah but does JULIE want to go to Jax?? 

54 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I briefly mentioned that we were interested about 4 weeks ago. Since my last little update (2 weeks ago) I've gotten some more tidbits for you guys.

I've heard the price range we're looking to give out is $22-$26 million per for 4-5 years.  1st 3 years will likely be slightly front loaded, but nothing bad enough to scare Kirk away and make him think that were not serious about a giving him real long term deal.  Another thing...and possibly the largest...Kirk and Julie LOVE NYC/NJ; especially now that they're building a family.  His reps know we can competitively pay (excluding endorsement $$$ too) and playing here offers a ton of other things (endorsements, great are for family building, top tier education systems, etx) that both DC and Denver can't really match.  Despite playing for the Redskins, Julie and Kirk f*cking HATE DC (the area, that is).  They spend next to zero time there in the off-season and, when do-able, try to stay away in the regular season too.  It will be a big part of our pitch to him if the talks get to that stage. 

The whole thing is incredibly complicated still, given that DC has no idea what they're going to do with him.

If they go for him, I hope they get it done quickly. Could effect other FA making their choice to come here if that’s all solved out. 

Last time we signed a big $$$$$ free agent QB...NOT SAYING THIS WILL BE KIRK COUSINS 
Perhaps the Jets should have taken O'Donnell's miserable performance in Super Bowl XXX as a warning sign, but they didn't. Instead, they signed him to a five-year deal worth $25 million. In his first season as a Jet, O'Donnell separated his shoulder and started only six games as the Jets went 1-15. A year later, he was benched numerous times by head coach Bill Parcells for poor play, and released in the offseason.

NEIL O'DONNELL, QB, NEW YORK JETS (1996)

Perhaps the Jets should have taken O'Donnell's miserable performance in Super Bowl XXX as a warning sign, but they didn't. Instead, they signed him to a five-year deal worth $25 million. In his first season as a Jet, O'Donnell separated his shoulder and started only six games as the Jets went 1-15. A year later, he was benched numerous times by head coach Bill Parcells for poor play, and released in the offseason.

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

yeah I don't see him being worth 25-30mil a year either. maybe if the team was further along but not for a rebuilding team

No, the best player at any given position almost never has the highest salary. Salty inflation, free agency, the economics of the NFL prove the logic of your prior post unrealistic every year. It is what it is.

43 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Send the Skins a 3rd round pick and lets get it done tomorrow - Jimmy G only cost a 2nd and the skins will get nothing in March - would be worth it even if it takes the hawks 2nd rounder

Cousins and Kearse for Richardson, is this really a discussion? I say done deal, make it happen tanny

Ha good point. I would much rather have jimmy G also. Too bad bellicheater would never trade him to jets. He would be worth 6th overall 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
Last time we signed a big $$$$$ free agent QB...NOT SAYING THIS WILL BE KIRK COUSINS 

Funny to think some of you had to put up with this BS while I was just being born in March of 96’.?

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No, the best player at any given position almost never has the highest salary. Salty inflation, free agency, the economics of the NFL prove the logic of your prior post unrealistic every year. It is what it is.

oh right yeah that's true too - flacco, carr etc. I was referring to the poster that said if we signed cousins he would be "one of the best QB's in jets franchise history"

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Holy inflation batman

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I briefly mentioned that we were interested about 4 weeks ago. Since my last little update (2 weeks ago) I've gotten some more tidbits for you guys.

I've heard the price range we're looking to give out is $22-$26 million per for 4-5 years.  1st 3 years will likely be slightly front loaded, but nothing bad enough to scare Kirk away and make him think that were not serious about a giving him real long term deal.  Another thing...and possibly the largest...Kirk and Julie LOVE NYC/NJ; especially now that they're building a family.  His reps know we can competitively pay (excluding endorsement $$$ too) and playing here offers a ton of other things (endorsements, great are for family building, top tier education systems, etx) that both DC and Denver can't really match.  Despite playing for the Redskins, Julie and Kirk f*cking HATE DC (the area, that is).  They spend next to zero time there in the off-season and, when do-able, try to stay away in the regular season too.  It will be a big part of our pitch to him if the talks get to that stage. 

The whole thing is incredibly complicated still, given that DC has no idea what they're going to do with him.

This is great to hear 

The Broncos aren’t doing scheitz. The Vikings THO? They could be legit competition. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

When you have insider updates can you please start a thread? :)

26 minutes ago, cant wait said:

oh right yeah that's true too - flacco, carr etc. I was referring to the poster that said if we signed cousins he would be "one of the best QB's in jets franchise history"

He would be.   How many decent QB's have we had?

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He would be.   How many decent QB's have we had?

I'm not disagreeing - I think it's obviously a true statement. I'm saying it's not exactly setting the bar very high considering the jets haven't had any legit franchise QB's since namath

Just now, cant wait said:

I'm not disagreeing - I think it's obviously a true statement. I'm saying it's not exactly setting the bar very high considering the jets haven't had any legit franchise QB's since namath

True story.

True, sad story

I don't think anyone really doubted for a moment that the Jets would at least look into Cousins and have some discussions, even those who are opposed to such a signing.  The question still stands whether they can satisfy both being appealing to Cousins AND being a top bidder.  We'll see, but I'm still doubtful that will all come together.  While someone mentioned Jacksonville earlier, I've been shocked how little their names have come up in relation to him, as I can't imagine how anyone would think that isn't a perfect fit.  That's a great young team with their biggest hole being QB, the exact kind of team who has every justification to splurge on a guy who really could be their final piece.  Of course, if Jax loses this weekend and Bortles ends up being the one who has the most fingers pointing his way (both very realistically scenarios), the talk of them as bidders will probably escalate very quickly.

The Jets, on the other hand, have plenty of money to spend so I think will last until late in the bidding process, but I'm sure that 6th overall pick will also be in the back of Macc's mind the whole time, knowing he has a backup plan in mind if he doesn't win out there.  How aggressive he gets could very well be influenced by the kind of grades they have on the QB class come free agency.

While totally unrelated to the topic of the thread, but thrown in that article as a random side-note, I did find the ASJ contract offer interesting.  Quite frankly, I think that was the perfect move from the Jets, and I'm hoping nothing goes too far off from that.  I can't particularly blame ASJ for not taking such an offer in January, but while he may be a step up from the Jets years of disaster at TE, he's far from great and quite frankly, is more in debt to them than the Jets are to him.  A high-end backup contract and finding some competition for him would be the perfect scenario for the team.  At most they should offer to build in some incentives he could hit if he does end up playing/starting/producing well.  Bottom line, just because they have money doesn't mean they should piss it all away by giving out far more than is deserved.  They should have learned that from 2015.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't think anyone really doubted for a moment that the Jets would at least look into Cousins and have some discussions, even those who are opposed to such a signing.  The question still stands whether they can satisfy both being appealing to Cousins AND being a top bidder.  We'll see, but I'm still doubtful that will all come together.  While someone mentioned Jacksonville earlier, I've been shocked how little their names have come up in relation to him, as I can't imagine how anyone would think that isn't a perfect fit.  That's a great young team with their biggest hole being QB, the exact kind of team who has every justification to splurge on a guy who really could be their final piece.  Of course, if Jax loses this weekend and Bortles ends up being the one who has the most fingers pointing his way (both very realistically scenarios), the talk of them as bidders will probably escalate very quickly.

The Jets, on the other hand, have plenty of money to spend so I think will last until late in the bidding process, but I'm sure that 6th overall pick will also be in the back of Macc's mind the hole time, knowing he has a backup plan in mind if he doesn't win out there.  How aggressive he gets could very well be influenced by the kind of grades they have on the QB class come free agency.

While totally unrelated to the topic of the thread, but thrown in that article as a random side-note, I did find the ASJ contract offer interesting.  Quite frankly, I think that was the perfect move from the Jets, and I'm hoping nothing goes too far off from that.  I can't particularly blame ASJ for not taking such an offer in January, but while he may be a step up from the Jets years of disaster at TE, he's far from great and quite frankly, is more in debt to them than the Jets are to him.  A high-end backup contract and finding some competition for him would be the perfect scenario for the team.  At most they should offer to build in some incentives he could hit if he does end up playing/starting/producing well.  Bottom line, just because they have money doesn't mean they should piss it all away by giving out far more than is deserved.  They should have learned that from 2015.

IMO alex smith is going to the jags 

9 minutes ago, cant wait said:

IMO alex smith is going to the jags 

You may very well be right about that, but you figure Smith is likely going to stick around until after the FA market clears up for QBs, so I'd think the younger QB who won't require a trade in addition to the big contract would be the greater appeal.  That of course could simply change based on the team's opinion of each player of course.

Just a gut feel. I find it hard not to think that after Elway's QB failures that he either goes for the very top pick or none at all and he signs the best FA.

So I think if it becomes obvious to Elway that he can't trade up before free agency starts to get in position to draft Darnold or Rosen he is going to clear the decks and land either Cousins or Keenum. If Keenum goes deep and the Vikes don't keep him (dumb move) I think that will tilt Elway in his direction.

Elway has pulled the trigger twice high on QBs, missed with Osweiler and Lynch looks like a ship that isn't going to float.

If he goes a QB at #5 and misses again it becomes a black spot on him. So I think if he can land a quality FA he will.

I don't think after Osweiler/Lynch he has the luxury to draft the 3rd best QB in the 2018 draft at #5. Just IMO.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

So everybody understands how this works, Jets spend all their time invested in signing Cousins while they should be pursuing the top 3-4 FA OL. By the time Jets miss out on Cousins all the top OL are gone to teams who pursued them as priorities.

J-E...

Why? Can't Mac multi-task?  Or does having one hand always on a cup of coffee kind of hinder the ability to be efficient?

You guys will call this insanity, but I would sign Kirk Cousins in FA AND target a QB with the 6th pick. 

The Seahawks did something similar when they signed Flynn and drafted Wilson (3rd round). Of course Flynn went on to prove that he wasn’t worth a fraction of the deal and the Seahawks had Wilson in their back pocket. I simply would rather be safe than sorry. Most of our 1st round picks that we have chose in the past 10 years are on the street anyway. Sign Kirk and draft one and end this misery of not having a franchise QB. One of them have to pan out in our favor. 

I’d pay cousins $40 million in year one and then $21 mill for the next 4 years.  Dead. Serious.

we’ve paid Revis and Mo that much to NOT play for the NY Jets.  

We fd up the tank and are in limbo at 6 at the mercy of other teams. Be proactive AF for once in MY life and get the unicorn FA top ten QB that’s becoming available this off season.  

5 hours ago, The Walrus said:

Just a gut feel. I find it hard not to think that after Elway's QB failures that he either goes for the very top pick or none at all and he signs the best FA.

So I think if it becomes obvious to Elway that he can't trade up before free agency starts to get in position to draft Darnold or Rosen he is going to clear the decks and land either Cousins or Keenum. If Keenum goes deep and the Vikes don't keep him (dumb move) I think that will tilt Elway in his direction.

Elway has pulled the trigger twice high on QBs, missed with Osweiler and Lynch looks like a ship that isn't going to float.

If he goes a QB at #5 and misses again it becomes a black spot on him. So I think if he can land a quality FA he will.

I don't think after Osweiler/Lynch he has the luxury to draft the 3rd best QB in the 2018 draft at #5. Just IMO.

Elway’s window is closing as this Bronco team is set up. They need a polished QB immediately. I see him going all out for Cousins like he did with Manning. 

Archived