Report: New York Jets interested in Kirk Cousins

Patriot Killa

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Even if we get Cousins, I would still look into drafting a QB, but I wouldnt spend a first rounder on one

Agreed. For argument's sake, let's say Falk is still available when we pick in the third round. I'd take him.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is interesting.  So they offered him a Lance Kendricks/Niles Paul/Lee Smith deal. Glad they aren't breaking the bank, but I 'm not surprised it was rejected either.  Good news to me is that they are trying to work this out earlier rather than later.

Jason's article also pegged his price at $27.5-29M with a projected value of $28.5M.  Sounds like we aren't going to blow him out of the water. 

His Dad is a minister in Orlando.  That is probably where they are spending much of their time if they are really avoiding DC.

Jacksonville is a world away from Orlando but I guess you could commute. 

Screw signing Cousins for the 25 or so million per season. The guy has never played well in big games and just isn't the type to carry a team on its back which is what you should get for the type of money he will receive. 

Do whatever it takes to land one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield and lets finally have a home grown franchise QB. Enough of the shortcuts to get to 8 or 9 wins and for once build it up right like the great organizations. The Jets are not winning any championships with Kirk Cousins so lets end the nonsense and draft OUR guy for the next decade.

A big reason why this team has mostly sucked the last 50 years is because we have only drafted a QB in the first round 4 times since Namath. The most important position in the sport and we have always taken the half assed way out instead of drafting a franchise QB. This draft has three potential franchise QBs and we must do whatever is necessary to land one of them; this is the only acceptable outcome.

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

You guys will call this insanity, but I would sign Kirk Cousins in FA AND target a QB with the 6th pick. 

The Seahawks did something similar when they signed Flynn and drafted Wilson (3rd round). Of course Flynn went on to prove that he wasn’t worth a fraction of the deal and the Seahawks had Wilson in their back pocket. I simply would rather be safe than sorry. Most of our 1st round picks that we have chose in the past 10 years are on the street anyway. Sign Kirk and draft one and end this misery of not having a franchise QB. One of them have to pan out in our favor. 

That situation wasn't similar at all.  Matt Flynn was unproven and got a small contract.  Wilson was a third round pick.  Seattle wasn't committed or tied to either guy.

If you splurge on Kirk Cousins, you better be all in and build the TEAM around him.  Using the 6th overall pick on a QB after you've gone all in on another QB in FA is incompetence at its finest.

On 1/11/2018 at 7:20 PM, Patriot Killa said:

The Jets are not just thinking of using their available cap space on quarterbacks, because a source said they are interested in Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence. With the Jets expected to release Wilkerson, there is a need to find another edge pass rusher for Todd Bowles’ 3-4 defense. 

ANOTHER edge pass rusher?  We don't currently have ANY edge rushers on the entire f*ckin roster.  Which has been a really, really big reason Macc sucks that doesn't get talked about nearly enough around here.  

Remember how much we used to b*tch about guys like Aaron Maybin?  I actually kind of miss those days from this sense.  At least that front office TRIED to address that particular problem.  

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Kirk Cousins signed with the Broncos. For one, the Broncos would have to let go of some of their high priced talent. You don't let Talib go & immediately get better on defense. Both of their WRs are over 30 years old, Thomas & Sanders. How many WRs get BETTER with age once they cross 30. Most get injured more often. The Broncos lost 8 games in a row last year...EIGHT! Plus their defense gave up a lot of points except to the inept Jets. Cousins threw for 299 & 3 TDs. 
Jets will offer the most upfront money to Cousins than any other team in this league because they can. Agents are only interested in guaranteed dollars, the rest of the contract is fluff. This is the same Jets team & owner that overpaid for quitter in Darelle Revis, Chris Johnson knows damn well this fan base has zero patience, home games were infiltrated by huge amounts of opposing fans, and the worst thing that can happen to fans is indifference. 
They can preach the rebuilding process all they want, nobody cares. Jet fans have been beaten down for over 40 years. The truth is that the Washington Redskins have pissed off their franchise QB & he wants out. Do the Denver Broncos have 2 second round picks? I don't think so, but we do. The Skins are not letting him go without getting SOMETHING in return to save some face. The Skins will slap the transition tag on him, Macc will front load a huge contract & send our Seattle pick to Washington. 
Macc will get lucky again with Bradley Chubb falling to the 6th pick, he'll get Sheldon back for Bowles, our dline will be Chubb, Sheldon, McClendon, Leo, Kirk will be our starting QB, Tremaine Johnson or Fuller will be our starting CB, and with our 2nd or 3rd round pick we'll be grabbing a stud RB like Michel. 
And Metlife will be f*cking electric on opening day in 2018!

Love the enthusiasm! Add in a WR and we are set.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You're sitting at 6, signed Cousins - and Buffalo offers you their 2 1's (I think it's 20 and 21 but could be wrong)

Do you make that trade?

Assume -  Darnold, Rosen, Barkley McGlinchey, Allen/Mayfield are gone.

Depends.

If there’s a “can’t miss” type edge rusher who fell to #6 because of the run on QBs? No, I don’t trade down; this isn’t like passing up on taking a ****ing 6th pick safety pick we - like most playoff teams - could easily do without.

If our GM’s precious BAP is a G, TE, ILB, or another ****ing 300-lb DE; and one of those will be our pick if we stay up there? Then hell yes, trade down before Buffalo gets second thoughts. Then if there’s someone we simply gotta have who’s still there in the mid-late teens (but who wasn’t worth the #6 pick) we can always move back up for a 3rd or 4th rounder and still have #21. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Depends.

If there’s a “can’t miss” type edge rusher who fell to #6 because of the run on QBs? No, I don’t trade down; this isn’t like passing up on taking a ****ing 6th pick safety pick we - like most playoff teams - could easily do without.

If our GM’s precious BAP is a G, TE, ILB, or another ****ing 300-lb DE; and one of those will be our pick if we stay up there? Then hell yes, trade down before Buffalo gets second thoughts. Then if there’s someone we simply gotta have who’s still there in the mid-late teens (but who wasn’t worth the #6 pick) we can always move back up for a 3rd or 4th rounder and still have #21. 

If Chubb and Barkley are off the board and we already have Cousins, I'd have no problem with Nelson.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If Chubb and Barkley are off the board and we already have Cousins, I'd have no problem with Nelson.

Precisely. Nelson is actually one of the safest picks in the draft. He has 10 year anchor written all over him. I know G is a tricky position because of players like Cooper, etc. but so is any O-lineman in the top 10...Jockel didn’t pay off well. LT is a little more important of a position so I might even take McGltchey. He is very agile for his size, has tremendous footwork and the power to really stick DL’s at the LOS. Very heavy hands. Verstile. Has played both RT and LT productively. Connor Williams is a little too injury prone for my likening and from what I have seen in film, he really didn’t “WOW” me .. Chubb is #1 choice if he is there though.....NC Stats fan on here said the guy is slow and is really overhyped. That concerns me. I would NOT go Barkley because of how absolutetly  great this RB draft...Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Bryce Love, Ronald Jones, ect. 

I’d take the best O-lineman to protect Kirk Cousins if I was to stay at #6 and as I mentioned it would probably be an LT over G..but I love Nelson so i’d be fine with either.

14 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Not if Chubb is there. Nope. 

If I knew we can get guys like Ward and maybe O. Brown. But it's so far down it's a gamble of who'd be left.  Wouldn't wanna be stuck with leftovers end of tier 2/tier 3 guys.

Chubb won’t make it past the browns at 4 unfortunately 

Please no OL in the top ten. QB or pass rusher, they’re the most expensive and if the Jets aren’t the Jets it might be some time between another top ten pick.

Plus, the OL’s most immediate needs at C, RG, and RT, none of which I would use a top ten pick on (well maybe a freak Lane Johnson-esque RT but g’luck finding that). 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Please no OL in the top ten. QB or pass rusher, they’re the most expensive and if the Jets aren’t the Jets it might be some time between another top ten pick.

Plus, the OL’s most immediate needs at C, RG, and RT, none of which I would use a top ten pick on (well maybe a freak Lane Johnson-esque RT but g’luck finding that). 

Even if Chubb is a disappointment at the combine? Because he’s the only Pass Rusher worth a damn at 6 and even 6 is pretty high. You don’t want to hold down the fort at LT for 10 plus years?

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Even if Chubb is a disappointment at the combine? Because he’s the only Pass Rusher worth a damn at 6 and even 6 is pretty high. You don’t want to hold down the fort at LT for 10 plus years?

Wouldn’t go anywhere near McGlinchey, the guy has RT written all over him

To start off the guy is old, really old. He’s been there forever. He may be a 25 year old rookie

He has cement feet, anytime they played a big time pass rusher, they went right by him. He’s a road grazer, not a top 10 pick

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Exactly. Put Cousins behind a good Oline & get him weapons, Jets WILL move the ball. By the way someone mentioned our Enunwa & Reed are almost the same size (I think they said Reed had 10Lbs more on him), which tells me if Quincy is healthy and back to beast mode, Kirk could make him a star. Kirk was deadly when Reed was healthy in 2016.

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree.   Brick at #4 was a great pick.  Another Brick at 6 is a great pick

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Exactly. Put Cousins behind a good Oline & get him weapons, Jets WILL move the ball. By the way someone mentioned our Enunwa & Reed are almost the same size (I think they said Reed had 10Lbs more on him), which tells me if Quincy is healthy and back to beast mode, Kirk could make him a star. Kirk was deadly when Reed was healthy in 2016.

I want Enunwa and ASJ to be our dual threat TE tandem. I think that would be a lethal duo with our outside threats. I'm much higher on ASJ than some others on here though.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Right now, unless there’s a freak Lane Johnson-esque athlete at OT, not interested. Maybe Brian O’Neill or Conner Williams or someone else pulls it off?  

The pre-draft stuff is about to be non-stop for the next three months. Hell the deadline for juniors to declare is still coming up on Monday. There’s a small pool of productive or otherwise intriguing pass rushers (Davenport, Armstrong Jr, Landry, Key, whoever else, Edmunds maybe) that could produce a big riser at the combine or even Senior Bowl for Davenport. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Right now, unless there’s a freak Lane Johnson-esque athlete at OT, not interested. Maybe Brian O’Neill or Conner Williams or someone else pulls it off?  

The pre-draft stuff is about to be non-stop for the next three months. Hell the deadline for juniors to declare is still coming up on Monday. There’s a small pool of productive or otherwise intriguing pass rushers (Davenport, Armstrong Jr, Landry, Key, whoever else, Edmunds maybe) that could produce a big riser at the combine or even Senior Bowl for Davenport. 

Personally I really like Landry and Davenport. Could use one of our seconds on one of them, possibly? But you are right..draft status will rise and fall so much from today to April. 

If we sign Cousins or Bridgewater etc, we need to spend our 6th and most likely our first 3 picks on premium positions.

LT, Edge, C, CB. I know Mac is all for BPA, luckily for the 6th pick, there should be an edge and/or LT as BPA.

No idea how the 2nd round will fall for our 2 picks but I hope its from those 4 positions, if they haven’t been addressed adequately (signed good starters) in FA.

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we sign Cousins or Bridgewater etc, we need to spend our 6th and most likely our first 3 picks on premium positions.

LT, Edge, C, CB. I know Mac is all for BPA, luckily for the 6th pick, there should be an edge and/or LT as BPA.

No idea how the 2nd round will fall for our 2 picks but I hope its from those 4 positions, if they haven’t been addressed adequately (signed good starters) in FA.

Interesting groupings 

QB couldn’t make the list, even in a Bridgewater scenario, but C could? 

51 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Interesting groupings 

QB couldn’t make the list, even in a Bridgewater scenario, but C could? 

I personally want us to draft our own QB (trade up for whoever we want, give up whatever necessary). But in the scenario I was posting, Bowles and Mac are scared to draft a QB, and will go “all in” on said free agent QB, put off drafting a QB high again out of fear.

If I were GM, QB is my first, second, and last priority, until we have one. If I signed Bridgewater, I’d still draft a QB in the first.

8 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

To start off the guy is old, really old. He’s been there forever. He may be a 25 year old rookie

He has cement feet, anytime they played a big time pass rusher, they went right by him. He’s a road grazer, not a top 10 pick

An offensive tackle with no feet is a disaster recipe

22 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I leave ranking to others. He’s a CB so if he’s truly all that it’s worth it. 

If He was a guard? Absolutely not. No guard prospect would be worth 2 1st round picks, let alone to a team that still has this many holes and a useless GM with such a poor drafting record outside round 1. 

15 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Oh man, completely agreed 

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If He was a guard? Absolutely not. No guard prospect would be worth 2 1st round picks, let alone to a team that still has this many holes and a useless GM with such a poor drafting record outside round 1. 

I'm not sure you meant to quote me, I never implied I'd trade 2 firsts for a guard.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

derp disregard, didn't realize which post that was.

Archived