Odds to Land Cousins

JoJoTownsell1

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Cousins was pretty much just gushing about Bates and the Shanahan connection on NFL Live.

Also said his wife would play a factor (“happy wife, happy life”). Didn’t @Mogglez already say that she loves NY and that’s where she would prefer to be?

I think the Jets absolutely have a great chance to get him.

33 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Well, Cousins was pretty much just gushing about Bates and the Shanahan connection on NFL Live.

Also said his wife would play a factor (“happy wife, happy life”). Didn’t @Mogglez already say that she loves NY and that’s where she would prefer to be?

Prospective free agent Kirk Cousins, appearing on ESPN's "NFL Live," gave his assessment of the Jets as a potential landing spot. "With the Jets, the first thing that stands out is Jeremy Bates has a connection to coach [Mike] Shanahan," he said. "Both Mike, Kyle [Shanahan], that whole system I played in. Sean McVay comes from that tree. I just think so highly of them as play callers, as offensive gurus if you will. Because Jeremy comes from that tree, it would be exciting to think about working with someone like that, knowing how important Xs and Os and game planning is and having the right play caller."

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Yes.  All of the above is true.  He's very impressed and intrigued by Bates.  That isn't a small deal.  The interview he did for WFAN was a very "political answer" type of interview as Washington hadn't made the Smith trade yet.  What you're hearing about today is more of what he really feels now that his future is slightly clearer.

All I've heard (from the inside) is that we stand a better chance than most people think.  If we blow him away with a financial offer that Denver can't possibly match without gutting their team, then I believe he is ours.  However, I don't have quite a feel just yet for how far we're willing to go in a bidding war.  The one thing we have going right now is we could, literally, offer that "rumored" 6-year, 180 million, 100 million guaranteed contract, and STILL have fun money to play with.  Kirk is very much aware of the fact that Denver will have to cut some guys to fit him.  It isn't about "winning" for one or two seasons.  It's about the long term plan. 

I expect this to drag out a good bit through March.  You might hear a little more come combine time.  The pessimist in me says he eventually goes to Denver and we go through the draft (don't rule out a trade up), but we'll see.

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

So I checked the Kirk Cousins interview on NFL Live. When Schefter asked him specifically about teams interest in him. He only named the Jets and reason was Bates. I’m guessing Green n White is his top choice so far

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So I checked the Kirk Cousins interview on NFL Live. When Schefter asked him specifically about teams interest in him. He only named the Jets and reason was Bates. I’m guessing Green n White is his top choice so far

Pretty sure the JN geniuses told us the Bates situation was a non-factor.

Who cares about Bates when you can join the Broncos juggernaut on the heels of their 5 win season.

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

Pretty sure the JN geniuses told us the Bates situation was a non-factor.

Who cares about Bates when you can join the Broncos juggernaut on the heels of their 5 win season.

Redundantly stating the majority of posters on this site are dummies seems like calling water wet, and acting like it's a revelation. Reeks of insecurity.

Archived