Odds to Land Cousins

JoJoTownsell1

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Denver still has Bradley Roby and Chris Harris, both are considered top CBs.  If they were to cut Talib, they would only have 1 defensive player over 30 (Domata Peko).  They still ranked 10th in DEF DVOA, a drop from 2016 but still a good defense.

As for Thomas, he may have been getting injured a lot lately but hasn't missed a game (need to confirm this) in the past 6 years.  Sanders is the one that had missed games this past season.  They do lack depth after these 2 wide receivers, but when healthy they were consistent 1,000 yard receivers.  C.J. Anderson just had a 1,000 yard season and ended up 9th.  He ended up 8th in yards per carry for RBs with over 200 carries.

The talent is there for Denver, it is their coaching that is the question.  Denver is a team that has the talent to try to make a run at a Super Bowl, but that window is quickly closing.  The Jets on the other hand are a team that has some nice young pieces in place and the window of opportunity may begin to open for them.  Depends on the way Cousin's sees the situation (at least between the Broncos and the Jets).  Try to win now and hope Denver can get some young talent in the future?  Or join the Jets and hopefully the potential that the team has shown is fulfilled and win in the future.

Good post.  If you're Kirk Cousins, who do you trust more in these scenarios, John Elway or Mike Mccagnan.

Just now, JiF said:

What's cowardly about stating facts?

Competitive people who believe in themselves feel like THEY can be the difference maker in the equation. 

The fact is if he makes a SB in Denver it's a cute story that was supposed to happen..  if he makes one for with Jets he's a legend forever.  Not everyone takes the Kevin Durant way out.  

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Jets job is like the Cubs. If you are involved in the Jets winning or even getting to a Super Bowl you are a God. they will erect statues of you

If you take the Broncos to the Super Bowl, you are still behind Elway.

So if one likes the challenge, like Reggie White did when he went to GB, then you go to the Jets.

Image result for confused gif

Image result for joe namath confused gif

1 minute ago, JiF said:

2011, yes

OK. And if I recall that was with the second pick. Elway gets the edge based on experience alone, but I don't think there is as much difference between them as you suggest. Just like the difference between the Jets and the Broncos isnt as vast as it seems to be.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Good post.  If you're Kirk Cousins, who do you trust more in these scenarios, John Elway or Mike Mccagnan.

Elway hasn't exactly nailed his drafts over the years he's been there. But he did do a hell of a job bringing Manning in and spending in free agency. 

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

Competitive people who believe in themselves feel like THEY can be the difference maker in the equation. 

The fact is if he makes a SB in Denver it's a cute story that was supposed to happen..  if he makes one for with Jets he's a legend forever.  Not everyone takes the Kevin Durant way out.  

Apple - "hello Pac, this is Jake from Apple, we are pleased to inform you that we've decided to make you a very competitive offer to join our iPhone team".

Pac - "hello Jake from Apple, thank you for this opportunity but I'm going to have to respectfully decline because I got this company called Nokia who I'm also expecting an offer from and because they suck so bad, I'm going to join them to become legendary".

54 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Jets job is like the Cubs. If you are involved in the Jets winning or even getting to a Super Bowl you are a God. they will erect statues of you

If you take the Broncos to the Super Bowl, you are still behind Elway.

So if one likes the challenge, like Reggie White did when he went to GB, then you go to the Jets.

Outstanding analogy! Especially considering that Reggie White passed on the challenge of joining the Jets when he went to the Packers. 

46 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

OK. And if I recall that was with the second pick. Elway gets the edge based on experience alone, but I don't think there is as much difference between them as you suggest. Just like the difference between the Jets and the Broncos isnt as vast as it seems to be.

Elway has a super bowl as a GM; we sometimes minimize the effort it takes and the rarity to actually win one.  Thomas and Harris were the only starters on that Super Bowl team that was there before Elway got there.

Hillman, Paradis, Schofield, Jackson, Wolfe, Williams, Miller, Trevathan, Harris (UDFA), Anderson(UDFA) were all drafted during Elway's time.  That's pretty good drafting.

He also acquired some very solid free agents with Daniels, Mathis, Vasquez, and Marshall. So he does have a pretty good track record of also identifying free agent talent.

After reaching the Super Bowl in 2014, he went out and signed Sanders, Ware, Talib, and Ward.  Elway did a great job in building a Super Bowl team.

Since Elway becoming a GM, Denver has had more pro bowlers than the Jets every year.  Not a great measure of GM ability, but a simple comparison of the talent-level on each team as seen by the fans.

YEAR DEN NYJ
2017 2 0
2016 6 1
2015 6 5
2014 11 2
2013 5 2
2012 7 2
  37 12

As for Mccagnan, only time will tell if he could do the same.  It took Elway 4 years to build a super bowl contender, Maccagnan is going into his 4th.  Perhaps in time he could prove to be a good GM but I would have to say Elway has a significant advantage at this point.

Just now, slats said:

Outstanding analogy! Especially considering that Reggie White passed on the challenge of joining the Jets when he went to the Packers. 

white was a HOF player, while cousins is arguably top 10-15 qb in the nfl.  huge difference.

cousins bet on himself and won, but that doesn't mean he thinks he's good enough to lead a team like the jets to the promised land with that gm and hc.  he seems intelligent, knows his strengths/limitations, and that's another reason he'll go to denver.  he won't be asked to do it himself, whereas on the jets mccagnan would probably keep drafting defense and leave cousins out there with anderson/enunwa/powell and think it's all good man.

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Denver still has Bradley Roby and Chris Harris, both are considered top CBs.  If they were to cut Talib, they would only have 1 defensive player over 30 (Domata Peko).  They still ranked 10th in DEF DVOA, a drop from 2016 but still a good defense.

As for Thomas, he may have been getting injured a lot lately but hasn't missed a game (need to confirm this) in the past 6 years.  Sanders is the one that had missed games this past season.  They do lack depth after these 2 wide receivers, but when healthy they were consistent 1,000 yard receivers.  C.J. Anderson just had a 1,000 yard season and ended up 9th.  He ended up 8th in yards per carry for RBs with over 200 carries.

The talent is there for Denver, it is their coaching that is the question.  Denver is a team that has the talent to try to make a run at a Super Bowl, but that window is quickly closing.  The Jets on the other hand are a team that has some nice young pieces in place and the window of opportunity may begin to open for them.  Depends on the way Cousin's sees the situation (at least between the Broncos and the Jets).  Try to win now and hope Denver can get some young talent in the future?  Or join the Jets and hopefully the potential that the team has shown is fulfilled and win in the future.

What I'm basically trying to say is that they are getting older & don't have a lot of cap to improve other positions. Both Thomas & Sanders will be 31 this season & they both get hurt - who knows how much longer either will hold up.

I mean Shonn Greene has 2 1,000 yard seasons - Anderson is very up & down. If we target Barkley, would you rather have Anderson or Barkley as your RB?

Someone with an idea of their O-line can chime in, but their o-line gave up 52 sacks last year, 3rd worst in the NFL (We weren't too far behind - 47). But we at least have the ability to sign Cousins & improve the o-line in FA. 

Yes their defense is still very good, but Derek wolfe got a serious neck injury (similar to Enunwa) so who know's how he comes back. Von Miller is Von miller, but the guy can't do it alone. Their safties are very meh. 

I do agree with your last point. If Cousins wants to win now, then Denver's roster would be better (if they can afford to keep those key pieces & sign Cousins). But I believe our potential to be a better team for a longer period of time is greater than Denvers. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He built a team that appeared in the Super Bowl twice, with 2 carry over players.  They won one of them 2 years ago.  

I think there is a grand canyon like gap between Big Mac and Elway and the Jets and the Broncos.   And so does anyone that is not a homer Jets fan.

57 minutes ago, JiF said:

He built a team that appeared in the Super Bowl twice, with 2 carry over players.  They won one of them 2 years ago.  

I think there is a grand canyon like gap between Big Mac and Elway and the Jets and the Broncos.   And so does anyone that is not a homer Jets fan.

What was their record last year? 

3 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Elway has a super bowl as a GM; we sometimes minimize the effort it takes and the rarity to actually win one.  Thomas and Harris were the only starters on that Super Bowl team that was there before Elway got there.

Hillman, Paradis, Schofield, Jackson, Wolfe, Williams, Miller, Trevathan, Harris (UDFA), Anderson(UDFA) were all drafted during Elway's time.  That's pretty good drafting.

He also acquired some very solid free agents with Daniels, Mathis, Vasquez, and Marshall. So he does have a pretty good track record of also identifying free agent talent.

After reaching the Super Bowl in 2014, he went out and signed Sanders, Ware, Talib, and Ward.  Elway did a great job in building a Super Bowl team.

Since Elway becoming a GM, Denver has had more pro bowlers than the Jets every year.  Not a great measure of GM ability, but a simple comparison of the talent-level on each team as seen by the fans.

YEAR DEN NYJ
2017 2 0
2016 6 1
2015 6 5
2014 11 2
2013 5 2
2012 7 2
  37 12

As for Mccagnan, only time will tell if he could do the same.  It took Elway 4 years to build a super bowl contender, Maccagnan is going into his 4th.  Perhaps in time he could prove to be a good GM but I would have to say Elway has a significant advantage at this point.

Meh. Everything is easier when you're able to get Peyton Manning on board.

2 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

What I'm basically trying to say is that they are getting older & don't have a lot of cap to improve other positions. Both Thomas & Sanders will be 31 this season & they both get hurt - who knows how much longer either will hold up.

I mean Shonn Greene has 2 1,000 yard seasons - Anderson is very up & down. If we target Barkley, would you rather have Anderson or Barkley as your RB?

Someone with an idea of their O-line can chime in, but their o-line gave up 52 sacks last year, 3rd worst in the NFL (We weren't too far behind - 47). But we at least have the ability to sign Cousins & improve the o-line in FA. 

Yes their defense is still very good, but Derek wolfe got a serious neck injury (similar to Enunwa) so who know's how he comes back. Von Miller is Von miller, but the guy can't do it alone. Their safties are very meh. 

I do agree with your last point. If Cousins wants to win now, then Denver's roster would be better (if they can afford to keep those key pieces & sign Cousins). But I believe our potential to be a better team for a longer period of time is greater than Denvers. 

Agreed, the Broncos don't have much cap space to improve, but they have done a decent job of re-building through the draft since the super bowl. 

You've got a good point with Thomas and Sanders being 31, but they've proven that they can both be effective, both put up 1000 yard years and they done it for more than just 1 year.  They are also only 1 year for doing it.

Broncos could just as well take Barkley in the draft ahead of the Jets.  If that were the case, it would be Barkley vs Forte/Powell.  The 32 year old Forte is 3 years removed from a 1000 yard year and Powell, 30 in October, has not posted over 800 yards in a single season.

According to FootballOutsiders:

Broncos o-line ranked 9th in run blocking and 29th in pass blocking.  

Jets o-line ranked 29th in run blocking and 27th in passing blocking. 

Throughout the season PFF ranked Broncos in the middle of the league, while Jets usually ranked towards the bottom.

I think the point you make about "improve the o-line in FA" is very important.  If Cousins is impatient and wants to sign early he will be looking at the rosters as they are at the opening of free agency.  Until the Jets actually sign players (or at least reach agreements) to improve their o-line, there isn't an advantage there.  For all we know the Jets may prioritize signing a couple of corners, outside linebackers, and d-lineman in front of signing an offensive lineman.

I agree that the potential of this team is greater than the Broncos, but its if and when will that potential be realized? Cause that window of opportunity opens and closes quickly for some teams.

13 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

I agree that the potential of this team is greater than the Broncos, but its if and when will that potential be realized? Cause that window of opportunity opens and closes quickly for some teams.

I think this is what needs to be hammered home to Cousins. I think Denver's window of opportunity is much shorter than the Jets. 

Impending free agent Kirk Cousins implied he'd have interest in signing with the Broncos this offseason.

"I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open to anything and everything. I’m in the information-gathering stage," said Cousins. When asked specifically about the Broncos, Cousins said he'd "love it if Denver is interested." Von Miller and C.J. Anderson have both publicly advocated for Cousins to join the Broncos, who have been plagued by subpar quarterback play the last few seasons. With the Redskins now committed to Alex Smith, Cousins should have no shortage of suitors on the open market. The Broncos, Browns, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets and Vikings should all be in the mix.
Related: Broncos

Feb 2 - 2:01 PM

29 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Impending free agent Kirk Cousins implied he'd have interest in signing with the Broncos this offseason.

"I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open to anything and everything. I’m in the information-gathering stage," said Cousins. When asked specifically about the Broncos, Cousins said he'd "love it if Denver is interested." Von Miller and C.J. Anderson have both publicly advocated for Cousins to join the Broncos, who have been plagued by subpar quarterback play the last few seasons. With the Redskins now committed to Alex Smith, Cousins should have no shortage of suitors on the open market. The Broncos, Browns, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets and Vikings should all be in the mix.
Related: Broncos

Feb 2 - 2:01 PM

Basically the same thing he said about the Jets ... only instead of ‘love’ I believe the phrase used was ‘pony up the $$$’

Archived