Odds to Land Cousins

JoJoTownsell1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Buffalo and Minnesota offer playoff teams behind average at best QBs. Either team getting serious about Cousins would have a better pitch than the Jets.

Agree about Minnesota, but I don't see how Buffalo has a "much better" pitch than the Jets. Why, because they made the playoffs at 9-7 for the first time this century? IMO, we are very comparable to Buffalo, except we have more cap room and they have more picks. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Agree about Minnesota, but I don't see how Buffalo has a "much better" pitch than the Jets. Why, because they made the playoffs at 9-7 for the first time this century? IMO, we are very comparable to Buffalo, except we have more cap room and they have more picks. 

You put "much better" in quotes as if I said "much." They have a better pitch. They're coming off a playoff season, the Jets are coming off back-to-back 5-11 seasons. Cousins is more of an upgrade over Taylor than he is over 2017 McCown, suggesting that Cousins would improve that team more. And they have four picks in the first two rounds of the draft. Outside of the Buffalo vs. NYC argument, they have the better situation. 

Just now, slats said:

You put "much better" in quotes as if I said "much." They have a better pitch. They're coming off a playoff season, the Jets are coming off back-to-back 5-11 seasons. Cousins is more of an upgrade over Taylor than he is over 2017 McCown, suggesting that Cousins would improve that team more. And they have four picks in the first two rounds of the draft. Outside of the Buffalo vs. NYC argument, they have the better situation. 

Cap space is about 30m, so they would need to be creative. I guess getting rid of Taylor would help.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Would you be happy with Keenum?

Reasonably

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Buffalo is the motherland of the Buffalo wing.

1 minute ago, slats said:

Shouldn't have put "much." My mistake. 

Yeah, I don't see the Buffalo pitch as being appreciably better than ours. We are fairly evenly matched teams who split during the regular season and they won a few more close games than us. Going forward, we have more cap room to add pieces and they have more draft picks to add pieces. 

If I were a QB deciding between the Jets and Buffalo, I'd be more interested in what each team's plan was going forward. I don't see a big difference between the two teams, as currently constructed. 

Come to New York, Kirk! Here are the pros:

NY will take an extra 10% of your pay in state taxes and another 4% if you decide to live in NYC - neither of which are deductible anymore. 

Double bonus, you get to have Ben Ijalana protecting your blindside!

Triple bonus, you'll have a defensive-minded head coach whose general disposition towards anyone who can throw a leather prolate spheroid is downright disgust.

What's not to like?

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

Triple bonus, you'll have a defensive-minded head coach whose general disposition towards anyone who can throw a leather prolate spheroid is downright disgust.

LOL, so I see stuff like the bolded written all the time about Bowles. Question:  Where does stuff like this come from?

I'm not impressed with Bowles, but some of this stuff is way over the top. 

Just now, slats said:

They have over $26M right now and gain another $11M just by cutting Talib. After that, they have players who they could restructure to make more room. It's not an issue if they really want Cousins, they can get it done. 

Broncos won 5 games last year. They are now cutting one of their best players on defense, adding no one else in free agency to help improve the team.  Is that really the team you want to sign a deal with for the next 5-7 years? A team trying to win with players that won a super bowl 2 years ago? They seem to be a team on the decline, not on the rise. I know they are sexy because of Elway and to Von Miller, but Vance Joseph is a trainwreck and the team just isn't as good as some in the media like to think. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Broncos won 5 games last year. They are now cutting one of their best players on defense, adding no one else in free agency to help improve the team.  Is that really the team you want to sign a deal with for the next 5-7 years? A team trying to win with players that won a super bowl 2 years ago? They seem to be a team on the decline, not on the rise. I know they are sexy because of Elway and to Von Miller, but Vance Joseph is a trainwreck and the team just isn't as good as some in the media like to think. 

Elway is clearly the draw there. He's won championships as a QB, and built a Super Bowl champ around a veteran QB there as the GM. I'm not saying it's decidedly a better destination than the Jets right now, but I'm definitely saying that John Elway can probably offer a much better sales pitch than Mike Maccagnan right now. What are the Jets selling points, their top-flight young safeties? Leonard Williams? What are they offering Cousins on offense? Quincy Enunwa coming off a non-contact neck injury and suspension-to-be-determined Anderson on the other side? 

Mac has his work cut out for him. I'm not confident that he's up to the task. 

Just now, slats said:

Elway is clearly the draw there. He's won championships as a QB, and built a Super Bowl champ around a veteran QB there as the GM. I'm not saying it's decidedly a better destination than the Jets right now, but I'm definitely saying that John Elway can probably offer a much better sales pitch than Mike Maccagnan right now. What are the Jets selling points, their top-flight young safeties? Leonard Williams? What are they offering Cousins on offense? Quincy Enunwa coming off a non-contact neck injury and suspension-to-be-determined Anderson on the other side? 

the jets haven't drafted an offensive player in the first round in a decade.  the entire league's memory of jet qbs in the past 20 years is a buttfumble.  the best wr they have could go to jail.  they need a new #1 rb.  the o-line needs a major upgrade.  brady isn't close to retiring.

the ONLY reason cousins would come to ny is if they offer way more money than other teams.  there is no other draw.  

39 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Looking at his career stats, his completion percentage has gone up year to year since he's been in the league.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KeenCa00.htm

Interesting. Still, he's one of those guys coming off a "career"/"breakout" year who will be looking to get paid. I'd steer clear of him, myself. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I dont know. Both teams have their own problems. I don't think Denver is as glorious of a situation as most make it out to be. 

But yeah, Mac is gonna have to make one hell of a presentation to persuade him because as it stands it's not very desirable. If they do end up signing him, I think it'd be pretty good news and safe to say we'll start seeing them build the offense. Otherwise things will go south real quick. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the jets haven't drafted an offensive player in the first round in a decade.  the entire league's memory of jet qbs in the past 20 years is a buttfumble.  the best wr they have could go to jail.  they need a new #1 rb.  the o-line needs a major upgrade.  brady isn't close to retiring.

the ONLY reason cousins would come to ny is if they offer way more money than other teams.  there is no other draw.  

Broncos have a shaky Oline, no RB, no TE, their best two offensive players are Sanders who is 30 and Thomas who is also 30. Not exactly an up and coming offensive juggernaut.

I know they are the Broncos and they have Elway so everyone thinks they are great, but they won 5 games for a reason. Part of it was their QBs, but another part was that they just aren't that good anymore. Not to mention Vance Joseph....

And while the Broncos will be cutting/trading guys like Talib to fit Cousins in under the cap, the Jets will have an plenty of extra cap space to land WRs (Landry/Robinson) or OL help. 

I am not suggesting he won't end up in Denver, but I just don't see the Broncos being closer to winning than the Jets or even the Browns.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Broncos have a shaky Oline, no RB, no TE, their best two offensive players are Sanders who is 30 and Thomas who is also 30. Not exactly an up and coming offensive juggernaut.

I know they are the Broncos and they have Elway so everyone thinks they are great, but they won 5 games for a reason. Part of it was their QBs, but another part was that they just aren't that good anymore. Not to mention Vance Joseph....

And while the Broncos will be cutting/trading guys like Talib to fit Cousins in under the cap, the Jets will have an plenty of extra cap space to land WRs (Landry/Robinson) or OL help. 

I am not suggesting he won't end up in Denver, but I just don't see the Broncos being closer to winning than the Jets or even the Browns.

i could see cousins watching how the first few weeks of FA goes down, to see what the jets/broncos, etc, do on offense.

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Come to New York, Kirk! Here are the pros:

NY will take an extra 10% of your pay in state taxes and another 4% if you decide to live in NYC - neither of which are deductible anymore. 

Double bonus, you get to have Ben Ijalana protecting your blindside!

What's not to like?

I believe state taxes for NFL players are complicated, but for Jets players NY/NYC is almost irrelevant unless someone chooses to live there, which I believe some but not many have (see below).

Technically, most of what they make is paid on a per game basis.  They are taxed based on where they play.  So 8/16 (barring London) of their compensation is subject to NJ tax.  They pay MA and NY tax on the games they play in Foxboro and Buffalo.  

When they play in non-tax states, like FL, there is no tax.  

So, if the NFL was fair, the Jets would get a higher salary cap to make up for the higher taxes, but it is not as bad as it appears.

I think the coaches though get slammed on NJ taxes.  Could be wrong on that.  

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Honestly, but for the team tradition, quality of the franchise, recent Super Bowl, etc., Denver is not a franchise on the upswing, and Elway has somewhat lost his tough lately.   Although Mac has alot of cap space, he never really had a touch.  

What Kirk Cousins likes about Jets ... and what may concern him

Jan 30, 2018
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

It sounds like quarterback Kirk Cousins, who could be a free-agent target for the New York Jets, is a fan of presumptive offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates.

Making the rounds on radio row at the Super Bowl, Cousins endorsed the Jets' expected hiring of Bates, their quarterbacks coach last season. Cousins admitted he has met Bates only once, but he apparently has been gathering intel.

"I just think he's a good football mind," the Washington Redskins quarterback told WFAN's "Afternoon Drive" on Tuesday. "He's about ball and that's what matters to him. Everybody I talked to who knows him loves him. I think it was a smart hire by the Jets and I wish him well in what he does."

Kirk Cousins wants to be in a winning situation, and that could hurt the Jets' chances. Patrick McDermott/Getty Images

Bates is a disciple of former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan, who drafted Cousins in 2012. So, yes, there's a distant connection. His only meeting with Bates occurred in 2012, when he took a pre-draft visit to the Chicago Bears. At the time, Bates was the quarterbacks coach.

Asked if he'll consider the Jets, Cousins pointed to March 6, the deadline for teams to use the franchise and transition tags.

"Let's get to March 6 and see what the Redskins choose to do," he said. "At that point, the ball swings back to my court. Instead of being passive, I can finally be active in the process and go be able to answer those questions."

Cousins has been tagged two years in a row, and it could happen a third year. It's perhaps the most compelling question of the NFL offseason.

He made one thing clear during the interview: He wants a winning situation. That, of course, could hurt the Jets' chances. They haven't made the playoffs since 2010.

"Winning is everything, especially at this stage of my career," Cousins said. "I'm going into Year 7. Because I've been franchise-tagged twice, it's not about the money so much. It's about winning. I want to win. This isn't the NBA. You can't just get one player and now you're in the AFC Championship Game or NFC Championship Game. There are other pieces that come into play."

Cousins said he wants to win over "the long haul," not just one season. He said the coach, the general manager and the offensive system will be "huge" factors in his decision.

"Who am I throwing to? Who's protecting? What's the depth chart look like?" Cousins said. "It's so multifaceted. It's going to be a really interesting process to gather those facts. I may go out, do my research and realize the best answer all along was right in front of my face, and that's Washington.

"But I haven't had the opportunity to gather that research. Until then, I'm going to keep an open mind and see what's out there."

Cousins said he wouldn't be intimidated by the size of the New York market.

"From what I've heard, it's a tough market, but, man, if I'm making it about the media, I've got bigger problems," he said. "I've got to be able to ignore the noise -- right? -- no matter where I play. Washington, D.C., isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere, so I'd like to think I have some experience dealing with a media market."

8 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

At this point there are very few to no outcomes that are doomsday scenarios for the Jets

Browns get him: Picks 1 & 4 go on the market

Broncos get him: Pick 5 goes on the market

Vikings get him: Keenum, Bridgewater and/or Bradford go on the market

I think the doomsday scenario here is Browns signing him, us mortgaging the future to trade up to 1 and then picking a safety 

(or the QB we take busts like many of them do)

7 hours ago, slats said:

Isn't Bates the draw here?

9 hours ago, slats said:

With the transition tag essentially off the table, cap space is no longer as big an issue. Denver could offer an $80M signing bonus prorated over 6 years ($13.3M/year cap hit) and low salaries in the first two years. Definitely affordable for them, and their lack of room could lead to more money upfront for Cousins. 

While i agree with you, thats still not nearly what he can be offered by jets ...and the jets could front-load the K, which you would think would be more attractive to Kirk.

Also, the SB might be closer to 100, so approx 16M per year. 

On top of that, the Jets could pay him salaries of

2018: 20M

2019: 20M

Etc.

which denver cant touch, without dismantling their team.

Meanwhile, the Jets can show Kirk and his agent how he could stand to gain his 100SB day 1, PLUS another 60M+ in salaries over the first three years of his deal.

Also, they have the benefit of being able to boast about the rest of the money theyd have left over, and who they plan on picking up with it. Finally, they could describe the value of their upcoming picks and how thru FA and Draft together, the team will be consistently in contention over the next 5 years.

If Mac wants him it should get done. We’ll see.

22 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

While i agree with you, thats still not nearly what he can be offered by jets ...and the jets could front-load the K, which you would think would be more attractive to Kirk.

Also, the SB might be closer to 100, so approx 16M per year. 

On top of that, the Jets could pay him salaries of

2018: 20M

2019: 20M

Etc.

which denver cant touch, without dismantling their team.

Meanwhile, the Jets can show Kirk and his agent how he could stand to gain his 100SB day 1, PLUS another 60M+ in salaries over the first three years of his deal.

Also, they have the benefit of being able to boast about the rest of the money theyd have left over, and who they plan on picking up with it. Finally, they could describe the value of their upcoming picks and how thru FA and Draft together, the team will be consistently in contention over the next 5 years.

If Mac wants him it should get done. We’ll see.

They will choke THO. Elway’s will is powerful. Cousins will be swayed once Elway gives him one look with those blue, steely eyes and proposes to mentor his skills at winning. Elway will explain that his aura alone can create new OL, WR, RB, DL, and DB groups, with the proper training, and Elway’s past can cover the rest. Cousins will have done his research and will be able to confirm that Elway knows how to win and can turn over his bottom 5 roster simply by cutting some starters to pay Cousins less money.

Legit THO - Jets are going to blow it. They always do. 

Archived